Random Commentary on Evolutionary Relationships V.4

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The new hidden ultimate somewhat reminds me of Rare Raremon.
Not shocking, Rareraremon is a Hedorah homage (Raremon itself having originally used Hedorah's sprite in Digital Monster Ver 5), while this is Biollante.

Bancho

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Toropiamon.jpg

E8cSsOKXsAgWCgs

Hermit in the Jungle's hidden Ultimate I definitely see as Tropiamon's most natural evolution. The visual similarities are super appealing to me

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My only complaint about Ultimate Tropiamon is how disturbingly yonic it looks. It almost seems more like an SMT demon than a Digimon.

HeavyLeomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My only complaint about Ultimate Tropiamon is how disturbingly yonic it looks. It almost seems more like an SMT demon than a Digimon.
I think that makes this monster even better, most digimon fans are adults, not all digimons should be made for kids, and, if a kid see this monster,im totally sure he wouldnt notice that, so i dont see the problem, and it still looks like a digimon (even more than many others that were revealed recently...)

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would think that the average kid is more likely to think of it as Venus flytrap-inspired, which it probably is.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I seriously thought Tropiamon's Ultimate form might have fruit or vegetable related design added but that turned out it's Man-Eater Biollante inspired digimon. Damn, didn't think they really actually design based on Biollante!

I feel like Entomon and Tropiamon can go evolve to that. Or jogress.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah glad it turned out it's not plant version of Breakdramon.

I think it should be awesome Ajatarmon + Entomon + Tropiamon jogresses into that. Throw Blossomon too

Ajatarmon is a vine monster and the petal feathers on their design are almost same.

To be honest, I didn't think they design another new one with Leviamon X's jaw splitting for a normal digimon without X antibody! So awesome!

Enpitsu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Following the recent discussions about the Frontier lines, that's how I imagine them considering (just like in recent Digimon media) the Fusion Spirit as a Perfect stage (since Champion AKA Human Spirit + Perfect AKA Beast Spirit = still Perfect, but more powerful).

I tried to always follow a logical line, even when it doesn't look so:
  • Vikemon would be the perfect Mega stage for Chackmon, and it has the same "twin weapon" leitmotif that Blizzardmon and Daipenmon (which I think is made up of Chackmon childish side + Blizzardmon double weapon) have, but since Daipenmon "discovers" latent bird-type attributes in the Chackmon line, I think that those should be expanded in the last stage, and Frosvelgrmon is perfect in this regard.
  • I tried to read Ranamon's line as an "incremental loss of beauty" line, with Warudamon uniting Ranamon human side and Calamaramon hideousness (with her Satan Mund) and Parasimon taking to the extreme consequences the "grotesque one-eyed femininity" of the line.
  • Mercuremon line gathers informations and uses a moltitude of attacks stolen by other Digimon. Chimairamon and Mugendramon (which is the fusion of all things "metal") are the direct consequences of that (plus, the Sephirotmon -> Chimairamon evolution is possible with the same reasoning in Adventure 2020)

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait that's supposed to be? ...Sweet Georgia O'Keeffe! ...Yeah. Fly trap. That's what it's supposed to be I'm sure. For once, I didn't think of anything dirty. ...So that's the new Mon in one of the current/upcoming Cards?

Duranda

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know what you mean, Im currently Making lines for Monmon and Apemon.
All i really have currently is
Monmon > Sepikmon >??
Angoramon > Apemon > Gokuwmon > ??

Was hoping to use a different mon than Gokuw but its all i could find so far

Unrelated but I made a rabbit line for a friend i wanted to share
Pontyomon > Gargamon > Antylamon (virus) > Cherubimon (virus)
They also liked Pontyomon > Lekismon

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wouldn't say they're avoiding monkeys. Etemon is a very prominent and popular monkey Digimon that has received a fair amount of love in the franchise. It has two evolutions in MetalEtemon and KingEtemon, a pre-evolution in Targetmon, and even Gokuwmon himself carries a couple plushes on his waist as a clear homage to Etemon's plush.

Oh, there's also the monkey Deva, Makuramon, who shares a near-identical face to Monmon.

Not to mention the very-recent Baboongamon.

Last edited:

Duranda

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wouldn't say they're avoiding monkeys. Etemon is a very prominent and popular monkey Digimon that has received a fair amount of love in the franchise. It has two evolutions in MetalEtemon and KingEtemon, a pre-evolution in Targetmon, and even Gokuwmon himself carries a couple plushes on his waist as a clear homage to Etemon's plush.

Oh, there's also the monkey Deva, Makuramon, who shares a near-identical face to Monmon.

Not to mention the very-recent Baboongamon.
I completely spaced over Makuramons existence, thank you.

I love baboongamons addition! especially as a potential gotsumon evo honestly, It freeing up sunarizamon for Golemon is a nice plus.

Bancho

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
for Monmon's I love the Etemon line and Sepikmon to Mercurymon is nice but I'm not liking Makuramon as an inbetween.
Fugamon to Mummymon also feels random

Enpitsu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
for Monmon's I love the Etemon line and Sepikmon to Mercurymon is nice but I'm not liking Makuramon as an inbetween.
Fugamon to Mummymon also feels random
Makuramon (which HAS to be a Monmon perfect stage, so I couldn't ignore it) kinda plays along a "fake face" (Monmon's and Makuramon's inexpressive face, Sepikmon's and Mercurymon's mask) or "mystic" (Sepikmon and Mercurymon are shamans, Makuramon is a Deva. Another good candidate in that sense could be Shakamon, obviously) line.

Monmon > Fugamon > Mummymon > Pharaomon is sort of an "ancient man" line: monkey > caveman > ancient egyptian

Duranda

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Monmon > Sepikmon >??

That's what I came up with
These are super helpful and some amazing lines

Gorillamon works great as a champion for Angoramon and i cant believe i never considered it before now, and i love how well metal etemon fits in regards to it as well. Im assuming Etemon is here to call back to Angoramons yellow coloring?

For Monmon I wish there was a better mega than mercurimon but after seeing the explanation i can dig it; I was just hoping to keep the monkey theme goin is all
Really dig the Etemon line here, whos the champion/adult you used i dont think ive seen them before?

Apemons line is like perfection, i love it.

Enpitsu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Monmon > Sepikmon >??

That's what I came up with
These are super helpful and some amazing lines

Gorillamon works great as a champion for Angoramon and i cant believe i never considered it before now, and i love how well metal etemon fits in regards to it as well. Im assuming Etemon is here to call back to Angoramons yellow coloring?

For Monmon I wish there was a better mega than mercurimon but after seeing the explanation i can dig it; I was just hoping to keep the monkey theme goin is all
Really dig the Etemon line here, whos the champion/adult you used i dont think ive seen them before?

Apemons line is like perfection, i love it.
The champion I used for Monmon > Etemon is Targetmon! And yes, I agree with you: Mercurymon isn't optimal as a Mega. The problem is that we basically do not have Mega monkeys, except for Metal and King Etemon, and Shakamon only works because of the lore of Journey to the west.

As for the usage of Etemon as a Gorillamon Perfect, it was the only viable Digimon to play into Gorillamon > Metaletemon metal data, and it also creates a nice pair with the Monmon > Kingetemon line!