Random Commentary on Evolutionary Relationships V.4

Hydranoid413

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I realised last night that Greymon’s rhino beetle helmet might be a pun

”kabutomushi” = rhino beetle

”kabuto” = samurai helmet

given that, Ryudamon > Greymon > Grademon > Samudramon?

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
”kabutomushi” = rhino beetle

”kabuto” = samurai helmet

Congratulations, you found out that rhino beetles are named after helmets in Japanese? I'm not really sure what your point is with that, though. Given its original 8 bit sprite I think they might have been thinking something like the Ceratosaurus before making the full art for it, and then gave it a big helmet because they decided on Metalgreymon's design and wanted it to flow more naturally (big natural helmet --> big metal helmet)

IndustrialPanic

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now that BloomLordmon has official art, Ken's Wormmon finally has an appropriate Ultimate to digivolve in to.

ken_line_by_industrialpanic_denqk7z-fullview.jpg

Don't get me wrong, BanchoStingmon is super cool, but the delinquent motif never really fit well with the character, and the reference book and video game entries for it makes it seem more like its referencing the Digimon Kaiser if anything with the whole prideful violent gang leader thing. BloomLordmon thematically feels a lot more fitting with with Ken's character development in the second half of 02.

IndustrialPanic

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
GrandisKuwagamon is fine I guess, but it doesn't really fit the aesthetic that Stingmon -> Jewelbeemon has going on... Its a good Dinobeemon ultimate tho.

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now that BloomLordmon has official art, Ken's Wormmon finally has an appropriate Ultimate to digivolve in to.

ken_line_by_industrialpanic_denqk7z-fullview.jpg

Don't get me wrong, BanchoStingmon is super cool, but the delinquent motif never really fit well with the character, and the reference book and video game entries for it makes it seem more like its referencing the Digimon Kaiser if anything with the whole prideful violent gang leader thing. BloomLordmon thematically feels a lot more fitting with with Ken's character development in the second half of 02.
Also, he getting more elegant fits with the Digimental of Kindness motif.

Lord Bearmon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think BloomLordmon looks the best for Tropiamon.
They have the same teal claw, the flowers are very similar, the antenna thing grows longer, and the purple cloak(?) carries over from Pomumon's color.
Also, BloomLordmon's weapon looks like a weaponized version of Tropiamon's tail.

egHrAll.png

Ajatarmon is a tougher one. I can't decide if it looks better for Namakemon or Zassoumon.

utfXtH2.png

nxV2AAI.png

OffBrandANON

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
wait... is it just me, or does ajatarmon have palmons limbs but inverted? the arms for feet and legs for hands?

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Didn't think of that Namakemon actually fit Ajatarmon good.

I can think of many evos for Ajatarmon.

Hawkmon - Shurimon - Ajatarmon - Algomon Ultimate

Armadimon - Spikmon - Ajatarmon - AncientWisemon

Floramon - Kiwimon - Ajatarmon - Cresmon Avatar

Goburimon - Ogremon - Ajatarmon + Rebellimon - Titamon

Shamamon - Spikmon - Ajatarmon - Bacchusmon

Elecmon - Mimicmon - Ajatarmon - Regalecusmon

Palmon - Ponchomon - Ajatarmon - BanchoLilimon

Sangomon - MoriShellmon - Ajatarmon - Pukumon

Pomumon - Parasaurmon - Ajatarmon + Tropiamon = BlumLordmon

Somebody suggested this Ajatarmon is perfect to be "Fusion" of Arbormon+Petaldramon. I'd say that is genius.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
people and even the games in the future will use it as tropiamon's mega and even I will, but since its attribute is vaccine it wasn't made with tropiamon in mind and with ajatarmon having a dead parasaurmon sheild on its arm and ajatarmon being its implied mega I guess bloomlordmon would actually be tropiamon's enemy

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
since its attribute is vaccine it wasn't made with tropiamon in mind

But attribute swapping on evolution happens all the time, just look at the Garurumon line. Or Blitzgreymon.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

But attribute swapping on evolution happens all the time, just look at the Garurumon line. Or Blitzgreymon.

Garurumon was just meant to be friends with Gabumon rather than its main evo I'm pretty sure. Gabumon is just a cosplaying lizard that follows Garurumon around. They're friends. It was his a possible evo in the ver 2 sure but you had to have care mistakes to get him so it wasn't his main evo (but then kabuterimon was his main and is vaccine too). His main was prob the data champion of the ver2. Garurumon fits best but it's a hodgepodge from the fact it's lizard to wolf.

Blitzgreymon was created as *virus* MetalGreymons mega. That's what it debuted as and even had a figure set with black Agumon. The reboot deciding otherwise doesn't change the original intention.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The difference in attributes for the Garurumon line is a result of staggered attribute-debuts (hence set different precedents between them).

Garurumon and WereGarurumon were first given attributes as one of the Vaccine evolution-lines in the Pendulum 3.0 V-Pet. Gabumon and MetalGarurumon didn't receive attributes until the Pendulum ZERO, where the whole Garurumon line functioned as the Data line (even though Garurumon and WereGarurumon were already classified as Vaccines).

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Yeah, not sure what attributes would have to do with designs in general. I'm not even convinced that most Digimon outside a few very stereotypic archetypes are even designed with a specific attribute in mind. They get whatever balances the current product and future products might simply need something else.
So I don't see it as an indication of intention, I mean it's hard to argue that for example Gogmamon wasn't made with Golemon "in mind" even though he's vaccine.

Blitzgreymon was created as *virus* MetalGreymons mega. That's what it debuted as and even had a figure set with black Agumon. The reboot deciding otherwise doesn't change the original intention.
...But it very much proves that the "original intention", if the term even applies, does not really matter for anything.
It doesn't even matter in your own example since very obviously the virus MetalGreymon wasn't designed for the virus Agumon either which didn't exist back then.

Mynor

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't decide if it looks better for Namakemon or Zassoumon.

utfXtH2.png

nxV2AAI.png
Weedmon for sure. Namakemon's fur looking like Ajatarmon's shorts and them both having long arms are the only similarities I see with those two, I don't sven really think the hair transitions too well.
Unrelated but every time I see Panbachimon it doesn't look like a real digimon to me for some reason

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to agree that for the newer V-Pets, the intent for the Digimon is likely independent and separate from attributes.

Since most of the roster is made up of older Digimon with pre-established attributes, the new Digimon are forced to take on the attributes of whatever's needed to fill out the blanks in the roster, rather than the attribute of whatever's most suitable for it.

However, there does seem to be deliberate intent when they assign thematically-similar Digimon debuting at the same time the same attributes. Like the two new plant-themed Digimon both being Vaccines; or in the case of Gogmamon, being assigned the same attribute as the similarly-new Baboongamon (and also the old-but-thematic Blastmon, though that could be coincidence).

Last edited:

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
(and also the old-but-thematic Blastmon, though that could be coincidence).

They did show up together pretty soon afterwards in the TCG, so it maybe was at least somewhat intentional - pretty sure Blastmon got its attribute canonized only during the big Xros Wars DRB update.

Rimokon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just a random thought for a mirror line:

Palmon > Togemon > Lillymon > Rosemon

Alraumon > Ponchomon > Ajatarmon > BloomLordmon

- Ponchomon is mentioned to be a death evolution for Togemon.
- Ajatarmon as a contrast to the cute Lillymon
- BloomLordmon as a spear counterpart for Rosemon

Also, Ajatarmon's limbs look like inverted Palmon/Alraumon limbs, and BloomLordmon shares some color with Alraumon. Better yet, why not throw Jijimon and Babamon to the mix for a perfect mirror line?