Random Commentary on Evolutionary Relationships V.4

drrockso20

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
two random lines that emerged from seeing a sample image of cards from two of the upcoming starter sets for the TCG;

Agumon(2006)-> DarkTyrannomon-> GrounDramon-> Dukemon

Elecmon-> Gorimon-> Monzaemon-> UlforceV-Dramon

the first line works surprisingly well in my opinion, and the second is almost there though it'd probably work better with either a different Perfect or a different Ultimate(depending on whether you want a smoother transition between Adult & Ultimate or an Ultimate more in line with the Child & Adult stages)

OffBrandANON

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
here's a ridiculous line that might work:

agumon>greymon>metalgreymon>wargreymon

bear with me on it, but it might be a good line, even if it's a weird one.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now it suddenly make sense as it just hit me when I think of Stingmon!

Wormmon - Stingmon - Climbmon - GranKuwagamon!

And Wormmon - Stingmon - JewelBeemon + Shootmon - BanchoStingmon!

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hawkmon > Diatrymon > Tropiamon > Argomon?
Also Mitamamon is a Mega level.
Argomon's pre-evos remind me of Diaboromon, just plant based. Works quite well for Shurimon oddly enough.

Tropiamon has the same problem as Garudamon. The design is SO GOOD, that anything following up from it has to be beyond spectacular to measure up. They're really hard to follow up from..

Speaking of Shurimon, I like him as a pre-evo for Tropiamon, assuming that beneath the mask Hawkmon is some sort of bird composed of vegetation. Does anyone have a fan theory of what he looks like under the mask?

I always get confused between sites that list Ultimate (Jap.) vs. Ultimate (Dub Eng.). Thanks for the correction.

Speaking of Mitamamon, does he have an anime appearance? His official art makes him look so... odd.

There aren’t a lot of bird Megas that can do hand-to-hand. It’s pretty much just Valkyrimon and AncientIrismon I think. Crossmon might work in that style, but I have a hard time seeing that as an evolution of Tropiamon. I do like either Ornismon, AncientIrismon, or Ceresmon as Tropiamon evos though.

I actually like Tylinmon as a midpoint between Baluchimon and Goddramon for this line.

For your Armadillomon line you could also consider Gusokumon. He’s got Ankylomons shell and longer tail and has demonstrated some close combat capabilities. And I like either neptunemon or Aegisdramon as his ultimates.
I hadn't even considered Ceresmon! I wish Medium Mode wasn't so hypersexualized. It's an ideal fit (I see it as the Bond of Sincerity.), and would be even better if it merged with regular Ceresmon.

Ornismon would be PERFECT if it had a humanoid form.

Speaking of Valkyriemon..., I was actually thinking about this line last night. Namely in keeping with Hawkmon -> Aquilamon -> Harpymon (I know Armor forms are generally counted as Champions, but let's ignore that for a moment...) -> Valkyriemon.

As much as I like Hippogriffmon as an Ultimate/Perfect for this line, I actually came to reflect on the appropriateness of the aforementioned line. Aquilamon being based on the Thunderbird and the Harpy Eagle (I kept wondering of ways to preserve the horns.) which is associated with storms and justice. Harpies likewise have the association with storms and death, amongst other things (Perhaps a Mode change could be considered?). And finally, Valkyries are associated with carrying the souls of the valiant dead to Valhalla. My one issue with this line is how strictly it carries secondary sexual characteristics which get swapped in the final form. I want to preserve a male Hawkmon line for the one we see in Adventure, which I suppose could be Garudamon, or Garudamon X, and use Harpymon for a female line, but then Valkyriemon just poops all over that. Go figure it looks like a dude.

Thank you for introducing me to Gusokumon!

He's Perfect! He has that partner digimon look that Scorpiomon lacks. I can actually see the progressive transition from Ankylomon to Gusokumon!

I quite like Neptunemon, but I also wouldn't want to completely ignore the ground element in the Mega. Well that, and making him a god-partner digimon.

How has no one mentioned this evolution line here yet? Haven't seen any discussion on this AT ALL in any of these threads. Look how wacky this is!

[/Digimon.

See above.

Last edited:

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Speaking of Mitamamon, does he have an anime appearance?
Not yet. He's still pretty new, anyway.

I wish Medium Mode wasn't so hypersexualized.
You know, I don't think Medium is hypersexualized. Sexualized? Obviously, put I think it fits in the theme of Mother Earth and it's not as pointed as her colleague Mervamon. Also, the huge gauntlets and greaves help convey the "monster" part of Digimon better than Medullia does, imo.

YutoTerumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Made a Vital Bracelet line-up for ModokiBetamon. (also placed my own personal partner line in it lol) Also made a visual line chart following the same "path number options" the Pulse City Vital Bracelet has; Each Champion only has 3 possible evos, each perfect has only 2 possible prevos and 2 evos, and all ultimates can stem from only 3 perfect level digimon. Was really fun figuring it all out. Making the chart from scratch took some time but well worth it. Let me know what ya think. Still not sure on a name for it; but will update if i ever think of one.

UPDATE! Figured out a name; Dragon Essence

Last edited:

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not yet. He's still pretty new, anyway.
Its 3D model from ReArise pretty much shows what it actually looks like.
I'm hoping that if it is ever animated that it will look more imposing.

You know, I don't think Medium is hypersexualized. Sexualized? Obviously, put I think it fits in the theme of Mother Earth and it's not as pointed as her colleague Mervamon. Also, the huge gauntlets and greaves help convey the "monster" part of Digimon better than Medullia does, imo.
Fair enough, though for me it gets boring seeing so many humanoid Digimon with secondary sexual characteristics that are little more than fan service.

Angewomon, Ofanimon, LadyDevimon, and a few others were *okay*,but then they went overboard in introducing Digimon that were basically Digital people (Do we know if Digimon was at all inspired by the Narnia series? I keep suspecting that aside from Tamagotchis, Digimon is inspired by Narnia.). Sistermon,Lilithmon, etc. are a bit much for me.
More of a mini rant, but yeah, I suppose Ceresmon isn't the absolute worst. But yeah, its not just female humanoid Digimon, but humanoid digimon as a whole that bore me.

New line:

Any help for my new Hawkmon line cited in my last post?

I'd be okay with having D'Arcmon (I really wish she looked like who she is based on the way Yugi-Oh did it, and not the half assed thing they did.) as an alternate Champion, but then that may very well change my lines...

To recap:

Hawkmon (Male):

Aquilamon > ? Harpymon (Who says they can't be treated as Ultimates?) > Valkyriemon (The naming conventions suck, because Valkyries are female. )

I know I run into the same issue with Harpymon as they're female in the myths, but the line itself works well in keeping with a storm theme vs. a humanoid bird theme.

Hawkmon (Female):

Aquilamon/D'Arcmon > Harpymon > ???

Kamotz

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Spent some time making the rest of these.

Hawk Hurricane
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Bird Barrage
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Armadillo Derby
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Eldritch Hero
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Ancient Protector
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Winter Knights
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Hazard Bound
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Courageous Heart
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Unbreakable Friendship
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Alpha Activation
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Dragon Blooded
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Exodd

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Digimon with the most suggested evolutions on these threads by level:

Child: Gabumon - 113
Adult: Tailmon - 80
Perfect: Shakkoumon - 57
Ultimate(previous forms): Goldramon - 72
Hybrid: Duskmon - 61
Armor: Yaksamon - 63

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Hawk Hurricane
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Bird Barrage
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Armadillo Derby
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Eldritch Hero
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Ancient Protector
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Winter Knights
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Hazard Bound
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Courageous Heart
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Unbreakable Friendship
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Alpha Activation
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Dragon Blooded
Image Thumbnail (custom)
Love them!

Who are the ones featured in Bird Barrage?

I know most of them, but the metal birds look new. The one next to Saberdramon, and the one under Karatenmon.

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hawkmon (Female):

Aquilamon/D'Arcmon > Harpymon > ???
I'd say AncientIrismon.

Who are the ones featured in Bird Barrage?

I know most of them, but the metal birds look new. The one next to Saberdramon, and the one under Karatenmon.
In order, RaptorSparrowmon and Yatagaramon. The first is kinda new, as it's Sparrowmon's evolution and debuted in the manga adapttion of Xros Wars. The second is actually the original version of Yatagaramon, which got a redesigned version for Savers.

Thanks for the trivia! Also, congrats on uptading the thread compilation, that's going to be really useful.

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd say AncientIrismon
I quite like that!

Thank you!

Hopefully they'll introduce a better Hybrid form within the Kazemon and Zephyrmon family (JetSylphymon looks like someone was phoning it in.). I quite like the notion of introducing more figures from Near Eastern mythology as in the case of Zephyrmon.

One thing that did pique my curiosity with her and Shurimon is whether beneath the mask the face would be more human, or if it it be more animal like. Zephyrmon is a Beast form, so theoretically she may have a beak? However, the cited figures of Shutu have a more cat like muzzle (Gatomon's missing link...).

In order, RaptorSparrowmon and Yatagaramon. The first is kinda new, as it's Sparrowmon's evolution and debuted in the manga adapttion of Xros Wars. The second is actually the original version of Yatagaramon, which got a redesigned version for Savers.
I really like Yatagaramon's design!

We need more bird Digimon, even if this is pretty line specific.

Sparrowmon looks like the digital cousin of Latinos and Latias...

RaptorSparrowmon would look perfect if the face didn't look like Sparrowmon's still. It seems to have the same issue as Crossmon. Especially the latter, because it looks incomplete.

PCN24454

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Hawk Hurricane
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Bird Barrage
Image Thumbnail (custom)
I know you're basing it off of the anime, but I'm surprised you didn't use Garudamon for Hawk Hurricane.

Hydranoid413

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

people do NOT like Shakkoumon’s normal evo path, it seems

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

do you have numbers for the least used?

drrockso20

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

people do NOT like Shakkoumon’s normal evo path, it seems
well as has been discussed a lot throughout all 4 of this thread's incarnations, Vikemon never really felt like a good fit, and of it's other official choices only SlashAngemon feels particularly great*, hence why people are so quick to come up with alternate choices(indeed ClavisAngemon feels like it was almost definitely created to evolve from Shakkoumon)

*well Cherubimon, Crossmon, and Lampmon are all decently fitting off just Shakkoumon alone, but don't really fit well as an endcap to the specific Armadimon-> Ankylomon-> Shakkoumon line