Random Commentary on Evolutionary Relationships V.4

The Golux

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
yeah there are not many choices available for catlike child digimon that aren't lions. Elecmon's ears and markings vaguely work with Nyaromon at least.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Meicoomon-recolored Plotmon probably fits better. But again, is kinda obvious.

The Golux

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't like that that much, it needs a longer tail and shorter ears. Also I couldn't find good clean art of it.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mikemon does digivolve from regular Salamon as well since Salamon is the default Rookie stage for all the Champion Level wild cat Digimon like it, Gatomon, and Meicoomon as well as the Armor level equivalent of them Opossummon.

The Golux

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah but they're floppy like a dog or a lop rabbit. To be believably feline they need to be perkier.

If I had photoshop or like, any image editing tool better than Paint, I would take this:
and erase the ears and put on the ears and tail from this:
(and maybe make the ears concave from the front, add some brown stripes on the body, and/or make the mouth a w-ish cat mouth) and just put it on white. The child is too close to Plotmon, the baby is too close to Nyaromon, but that would actually be a reasonable middle ground and be a decent catlike child. Plotmon works for holy generally so it's OK for Tailmon, but it's not as good for other cats.

Edit: but I guess that's fanmade digimon territory.

Last edited:

The Golux

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like it! And I think there's more point to that existing than either of the things it's made from.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The problem is that Salamon already fills the cat rookie's niche without being too similar to the Champion stage since one of the defining traits of Gatomon, it's variants like Mikemon, Meicoomon, and Opossummon are that they're small enough for their Level that they can pass for Rookie* so you don't want too much overlap between the Rookie and Champion stages.

*Which in fact led to my biggest issue with 02: Gatomon being treated as a Rookie Level Digimon when not only does she already have a perfectly fine Rookie stage to begin with but you could have had Nefertimon be equivalent to an Ultimate instead and it would have worked just as well if not far better.

Last edited:

Berskirmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

My thought for a Cutemon evolution line

SuperStarlite

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And with RhodoKnightmon as a dude variant, that's pretty good!

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
More Kyukimon lines~! It's like my birthday.

I also kinda like Cutemon evolving from Culumon for that line.

The Golux

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The problem is that Salamon already fills the cat rookie's niche without being too similar to the Champion stage since one of the defining traits of Gatomon, it's variants like Mikemon, Meicoomon, and Opossummon are that they're small enough for their Level that they can pass for Rookie* so you don't want too much overlap between the Rookie and Champion stages.

*Which in fact led to my biggest issue with 02: Gatomon being treated as a Rookie Level Digimon when not only does she already have a perfectly fine Rookie stage to begin with but you could have had Nefertimon be equivalent to an Ultimate instead and it would have worked just as well if not far better.
I see your point, but I feel like going from quadrupedal to bipedal and the bigger, tufted ears and longer tail are enough to differentiate, while Plotmon having no tail when between two things whose tails are among their most distinctive features bothers me.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@flintlock

@MoT
You could add Diarimon, Gossipmon or Bokomon to your library line.

I didn't realize there were so many jester/circus Digimon, this looks cool.

Also you could add Razielmon in a book line because she's based on Raziel (obvious) but his lore includes a magical book, which her attack is named after. Maybe they'll animate a book when she uses this attack?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raziel#Authorship_of_Sefer_Raziel_HaMalach

Baalmon too, he's got pages of a magic all knowing book on his cape.

Looking back on 02 I think Plotmon would have made more sense to use too instead of the silly Holy Ring thing but they actually kind of fixed this for the X Antibody Digimon. All the armours that got X Antibody variants were treated as adults in everything they appeared in, including the virtual pets. So Plotmon X, not Tailmon X, evolved to Nefertimon X. Tailmon X actually has a lot of differences with Nefertimon X to the point that it weirds me out as a fan evolution because the styles are so different and she loses a tail, lol. But I still use it because sadly we got no Angewomon X Antibody.

Here's a Kyukimon line too.

I like that Cutemon>Bitmon>Kyukimon>Junomon line too.

Last edited:

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Way behind on things apparently. Happy new thread, first of all!

I'm loving the Razielmon lines and connections to the other feline lines from V3. My gut instincts were also Nefertimon and Bastemon. Razielmon's status as another Ophan Digimon is rather intriguing as well. I somehow missed the silver/white Sakuyamon reveal, but I have to say that it's quite the fitting recolor. It's also perfect alongside that fan-recolored Kyukimon (which I have to agree is a beautiful recolor in terms of quality and aesthetics).

AquaVersus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Happy new thread!

I gotta start including baby levels again...I've just been getting really lazy lately.

Here's something I wanted to do to celebrate the new Tri trailer for Ophanimon Falldown Mode (starting with the reaper's scythe that both Ophanimon FM and MetalPhantomon have, then it went on to include Sistermon Blanc's staff/trident and Witchmon's broom):

I took elements from that line and tried to make one emphasizing red/black clothing (EDIT, though now that I think about it a better Perfect for NiseAgumon Hakase would be Vamdemon):

As for this one, I thought WaruMonzaemon into BlackSaintGalgomon was different and then I ended up making a line about a left-handed Digimon (Kotemon) who gets wounded (Wendimon), that wound then becomes a weapon (WaruMonzaemon), and then the entire body becomes a weapon (BlackSaintGalgomon). I almost always use Botamon and Caprimon for Kotemon, and Botamon's presence helps round out WaruMonzaemon as well:

Last edited:

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Looking back on 02 I think Plotmon would have made more sense to use too instead of the silly Holy Ring thing but they actually kind of fixed this for the X Antibody Digimon. All the armours that got X Antibody variants were treated as adults in everything they appeared in, including the virtual pets. So Plotmon X, not Tailmon X, evolved to Nefertimon X. Tailmon X actually has a lot of differences with Nefertimon X to the point that it weirds me out as a fan evolution because the styles are so different and she loses a tail, lol. But I still use it because sadly we got no Angewomon X Antibody.

I've thought about Salamon Armor Digivolving instead of Gatomon as an alternative as well but the fact that we've had other Champion level Digimon, specifically Drimogemon, Digivolve to Armor level Digimon was what led me to liking the idea of Nefertimon as an Ultimate equivalent.