Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had to mentally process this promo before I posted it.

Below is the promo for the Digimon Movies BD-Box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dG6R-V_oNkg

Wow... just... wow.

It may actually be the single laziest promo or trailer I've ever seen.

In case you aren't aware why I'm having that reaction...

Toei stitched various movie promos from when the films first came out (letterboxed even, not using the new footage from the Blu-rays), with text overlaid about how they are coming out on Blu-ray.

viperzerof-2

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
good old Toei

if there is a dollar to be saved, we'll save it

Diaboromon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, maybe it's been done for nostalgia purposes? It's lazy as hell, but part of it's selling point is nostalgia and childhood. Watching Digimon on tv is in a lot of people's childhood. My brothers in Japan always talk about watching the morning cartoons, even though they don't like anime anymore, so seeing an ad like that may spark a memory and make them buy it.

IT THAT MAKES SENSE Q////Q

btw armageddomon HD makes me hnnnng
I'm gonna buy all the box sets and cry myself to sleep whilst watching them

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, maybe it's been done for nostalgia purposes? It's lazy as hell, but part of it's selling point is nostalgia and childhood. Watching Digimon on tv is in a lot of people's childhood. My brothers in Japan always talk about watching the morning cartoons, even though they don't like anime anymore, so seeing an ad like that may spark a memory and make them buy it.

It makes sense, but part of selling for nostalgia is also the fact that nearly every single one of these sets will be bought by an otaku in Japan. The majority of whom will have it on DVD.

They don't need to see ancient promos for it (the promos are actually on the DVDs.) They want to see what they will be spending nearly $200 on in a couple days.

It's like, I'm a huge Star Trek fan. Even ignoring the resolution difference of DVD and Blu-ray, the old TNG DVDs were taken from videotape and look terrible.

Image Thumbnail

The stuff at the top would be terrible to use in advertising the new sets, minus to go 'look at how much better the new stuff is' and Toei made the single most INSANE mistake in selling a Blu-ray box... they show us promos of the show that actually look worse than the DVDs (all of the movies came out in the era of SD television, which was 4:3, so the widescreen films had to be letterboxed in their promos. On DVD they were anamorphic widescreen.

The promo shows the widescreen footage at roughly 640x360 (letterboxed widescreen).
The DVDs were anamorphic 720x480 (the anamorphic stretched it to the proper aspect ratio at a resolution of roughly 853x480).
The Blu-rays are going to be 1920x1080 (likely taken from fresh film scans).

(I give the technical details just to explain my perspective on the matter, as a person who knows a bit about video.)

I'll be honest, my expectation was 'haha, I get what they are doing, they are showing us the old videotape quality promos and then at the end, bam, we will get a few seconds of new Blu-ray footage' and my jaw nearly dropped when it just ended.

Diaboromon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It makes sense, but part of selling for nostalgia is also the fact that nearly every single one of these sets will be bought by an otaku in Japan. The majority of whom will have it on DVD.

They don't need to see ancient promos for it (the promos are actually on the DVDs.) They want to see what they will be spending nearly $200 on in a couple days.

It's like, I'm a huge Star Trek fan. Even ignoring the resolution difference of DVD and Blu-ray, the old TNG DVDs were taken from videotape and look terrible.

Image Thumbnail

The stuff at the top would be terrible to use in advertising the new sets, minus to go 'look at how much better the new stuff is' and Toei made the single most INSANE mistake in selling a Blu-ray box... they show us promos of the show that actually look worse than the DVDs (all of the movies came out in the era of SD television, which was 4:3, so the widescreen films had to be letterboxed in their promos. On DVD they were anamorphic widescreen.

The promo shows the widescreen footage at roughly 640x360 (letterboxed widescreen).
The DVDs were anamorphic 720x480 (the anamorphic stretched it to the proper aspect ratio at a resolution of roughly 853x480).
The Blu-rays are going to be 1920x1080 (likely taken from fresh film scans).

(I give the technical details just to explain my perspective on the matter, as a person who knows a bit about video.)

I'll be honest, my expectation was 'haha, I get what they are doing, they are showing us the old videotape quality promos and then at the end, bam, we will get a few seconds of new Blu-ray footage' and my jaw nearly dropped when it just ended.
I understand now! Yeah, what you're saying makes sense.
I wonder if they're keeping it under wraps until the release?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I understand now! Yeah, what you're saying makes sense.
I wonder if they're keeping it under wraps until the release?

That's what's weird... even on the occasion Toei has done poorly done releases, they tend to still release promos (Galaxy Express 999 and Slam Dunk being well known low points that got promos... film was scanned at 480p years earlier for DVDs, they used the same scans and just upscaled them for those Blu-rays...)

They have no vaguely pseudo-modern scans of any of these films though, so it'd have to be new film scans (I vaguely seem to recall some information that the viewing of the film they did last August 1st was from a new master also.... someone else might remember that better than I do... I'm guessing theigno knows.)

MagicBox

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The movie boxset is already getting a couple of negative reviews on Amazon (partly because of the price). One review in particular has me a little worried.

Someone mentioned that these films featured 5.1 surround sound audio on their initial DVD releases, while these upcoming blu-rays only feature 2.0 stereo sound (aside from the Adventure films, which are being advertised as featuring "pseudo-5.1" sound). Can anyone who owns the original DVDs of these movies provide any context? Are we really getting a downgrade in the audio department, or is there something I'm missing (which could be entirely likely)?

EDIT: Crap, I meant to post this in the "Promo for Digimon Movies BD-Box" thread. Really sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Someone mentioned that these films featured 5.1 surround sound audio on their initial DVD releases, while these upcoming blu-rays only feature 2.0 stereo sound (aside from the Adventure films, which are being advertised as featuring "pseudo-5.1" sound). Can anyone who owns the original DVDs of these movies provide any context? Are we really getting a downgrade in the audio department, or is there something I'm missing (which could be entirely likely)?

Well, first off- Negative reviews sometimes are just people ranting. Nothing about the audio is different than what was solicited (not commenting on your thoughts on the matter, just commenting on that some people apparently seemed surprised on the format of the audio.)

I haven't pulled out my old movie DVDs in years (I only had the 01/02 movies on DVDs, although I had a friend who had Tamers and Frontier.)

The movies were always stereo except.... I think it was the first Tamers movie, which on DVD included both a stereo and 5.1 track.

Pseudo-5.1 likely refers to them moving around the stereo soundstage to make it 5.1 using only the sources on film-stock, rather than building a 5.1 track from scratch via assets (this is generally the only time I've heard the term used, I don't know if it's used the same in Japan or not, but it seems likely.)

I've double checked specifications on these DVDs online which agree with my memories. None of them were 5.1 except the first Tamers film.

My guess, someones memories are playing tricks on them and they have just assumed the movies were 5.1.

Everything looks right to me based on the BD specs. There are exactly 3 audio differences from the original DVDs.

1- Movie 1 now has both it's original stereo, and a new pseudo 5.1 track.
2- Movie 2 now has both it's original stereo, and a new pseudo 5.1 track.
3- The first Tamers movie does not include the stereo version. The film was produced in 5.1, and the stereo track was, as I recall, a 'flattened' 5.1 track.

Hopefully that sheds some light on this.

Edit- Thought I'd throw up a bit of proof beyond my word in this case since I noticed the case from movie 4 was actually sitting on my DVD shelf .

Image Thumbnail
Grabbed the in movie audio selector from one of my software players. And yes, this is why I've always referred to Toei having a machine setup improperly... they weren't boxing it in on all 4 sides as was common on Japanese media releases... that framing was done accidentally and no one corrected it...

Image Thumbnail
And a quick phone shot of the technical information at the bottom of the back of the case, no mention of 5.1.

MagicBox

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's a huge help! I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'm aware that fans will sometimes leave angry "reviews" on Amazon with no knowledge of the actual product, but I know so little about the original Japanese DVDs that I thought it would be best to ask. I did find specs on CDJapan, but I wanted to ask other fans to make sure everything checked out. Thanks. I'm glad they're giving us a choice between the original stereo track and the new 5.1 track for the Adventure films. Having options is great. And losing the flattened stereo mix from "Adventurers' Battle" is no loss to me. Great news all around.

Thanks for moving my post to this thread, by the way. I'll be more careful in the future.

Welp, Amazon just charged my debit card today! Looking forward to getting this baby in the mail and seeing how everything turned out.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's a huge help! I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'm aware that fans will sometimes leave angry "reviews" on Amazon with no knowledge of the actual product, but I know so little about the original Japanese DVDs that I thought it would be best to ask. I did find specs on CDJapan, but I wanted to ask other fans to make sure everything checked out. Thanks. I'm glad they're giving us a choice between the original stereo track and the new 5.1 track for the Adventure films. Having options is great. And losing the flattened stereo mix from "Adventurers' Battle" is no loss to me. Great news all around.

I'm trying to think if there are any other technical things to mention...

I expect all the movies will be fresh film scans (although to what degree they are remastered and how I have no clue.)

As you can see from the screenshot above, movie 4 was actually scanned quite poorly for it's DVD. It was still early days of anime DVDs at the time... and Toei disks were quite notorious for actually having issues even playing at times.

The only technical aspect worth mentioning beyond what we've already discussed, is the 2 themepark shorts will actually have native 3d versions if you have the proper hardware to watch them on (as opposed to their prior DVD release which used red/blue glasses.)

My copy to scan for WtW has also shipped. Tomorrow I plan to go clean my scanner, as I haven't used it in quite awhile.

If anyone wants wallpapers now would be the time to tell me scenes, as once I scan stuff I can screencap Blu-rays and photoshop them into proper wallpapers of various sizes.

Just be aware the 5.1 tracks are called pseudo for a reason. They aren't how we normally think of films being remixed from 2.0 to 5.1 (taking assets, or having an engineer spend days, if not weeks separating things out and putting it back together.) I expect likely it was a software process that an audio engineer oversaw and made changes to, perhaps over a few days (I'm hoping the fact they only did it to the 2 Adventure films suggests a higher degree of effort and not as much automation since if it was automated they could have just thrown all of them into the software.)

Perhaps the easiest way to explain what to expect is to say it will be 2.0 'upscaled' into 5.1.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...So many japanese people are now posting photos of their newly arrived BD box but not a single HD screenshot yet.
My copy was sent but it might take a while until it arrives. Why can't it work like in one of those old cartoons where they'd just order something and just 2 seconds later the packet would be delivered via helicopter, coming down with a little parachute?

They have no vaguely pseudo-modern scans of any of these films though, so it'd have to be new film scans (I vaguely seem to recall some information that the viewing of the film they did last August 1st was from a new master also.... someone else might remember that better than I do... I'm guessing theigno knows.)
In this case I actually don't really know... I watched the event stream, I recorded it but since I only had access to the crappy free stream the quality of my video so low that I can't really say anthing about the quality of the actual source.
However there was one thing I noticed back then, when the official twitter account promoted the event they posted a few pictures from the second movie that came in a resolution of 914px × 494px, a bit bigger than what you would get from a DVD source.

also, I can confirm that the DVD of the Frontier movie only had stereo audio.

The only technical aspect worth mentioning beyond what we've already discussed, is the 2 themepark shorts will actually have native 3d versions if you have the proper hardware to watch them on
That will actually be my first 3D BluRay^^ Unfortunately I don't have any hardware that can actually display 3D...

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
FedEx says that my order may actually arrive on January 9; the day it drops in Japan. Pretty excited. I won't be able to watch them for a month or two, but still.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
However there was one thing I noticed back then, when the official twitter account promoted the event they posted a few pictures from the second movie that came in a resolution of 914px × 494px, a bit bigger than what you would get from a DVD source.

Unless they prepared mock screenshots purely for promotional use (and I doubt it... I mean, they were to lazy to make a promo), that largely confirms new masters for the Blu-rays. I can tell you for a fact those aren't based off the kind of tape they would have stored back when the films were new.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My set should show up at some point on Friday.

Scans, screencaps, some stuff prepped into wallpapers, and hopefully some good discussion on the first proper Digimon Blu-rays.

If movie 4 is framed right I will consider the set a success (the obscenely poor framing of the film on the telecine machine for the DVD has bothered me for over a decade.)

Abysswalker90

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's one badly stitched together trailer.
I hope it doesn't reflect the budget they're going to put out for Tri.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll make a proper discussion thread with scans, screencaps, and my thoughts in a bit.

Due to not being happy how a scanner and software scanned it, I pulled my old Epson out of a closet and am redoing everything.

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mine came in after waiting all day... It's pretty, but can't watch 'em just yet. It came with a "sleeve" of sorts with Agumon, from I believe artwork for Movie 2, nested on the "DIGIMON THE MOVIES 1999-2006" logo.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Locking the thread as the proper movie thread will be open once I finish writing it. Will link to it once it's done from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.