Preview of Artwork for JPN Kizuna Blu-ray Deluxe Box by Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

When the Japanese home video release of Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna was first announced, it was mentioned the deluxe limited edition version of the Blu-ray would include not just the audio drama and some booklets, but a case with artwork drawn by original Digimon Adventure (& Kizuna) character designer Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru.

We finally get to see what the art looks like!

One side features Taichi and Agumon, with Agumon Bonds of Courage behind them, while the other side features Yamato, Gabumon, and Gabumon Bonds of Friendship behind them. Both also show the Digivices lit up bright where they are holding it together.

Really nice bonus artwork for those who nab the fancy version of the Blu-ray.

We expect larger previews of the art soon, and will swap them in when available.

Update- Larger versions with sample tags from the Digimon Adventure Anniversary Twitter.

Pre-orders are open at CDJapan, and Kizuna is out on September 2nd CDJapan links are affiliate links:
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Blu-ray Deluxe Version (CDJapan)
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Blu-ray (CDJapan)
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna DVD (CDJapan)

Various details on store exclusives can be found in the original article, and an updated one here.

The US Blu-ray and DVD release of Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna is currently scheduled for October 6th.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I didn't like them when they were first revealed but now they have grown on me. They have quickly become some of my favourite artworks.

ChaoCobo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As someone who missed out on seeing Kizuna because all the theaters exploded due to COVID, I’ve been trying to forget that one screenshot with these new forms that I saw multiple months ago so I can experience it fresh when I finally see the movie at home. Why did they put actual spoilers on the heckin box you have to look at and open to get the disc so you can watch the movie? :/

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As someone who missed out on seeing Kizuna because all the theaters exploded due to COVID, I’ve been trying to forget that one screenshot with these new forms that I saw multiple months ago so I can experience it fresh when I finally see the movie at home. Why did they put actual spoilers on the heckin box you have to look at and open to get the disc so you can watch the movie? :/
It's just standard in anime these days. All six Tri movie posters show the main battles and have spoilers and the box set has mercy mode on it

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That is really nice and really works for the movies. It's probably the best idea.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That feeling when Taichi and Yamato become Stand Users.
To be fair, Tai's already demonstrated the ability to perform Over Soul:

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added larger, but sample tagged, versions of the images to the news post.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That doesn't suggest a mistake in the movie, that suggests that different people are drawing him differently, which isn't that odd for animated characters.

He's seemingly being drawn with 4 fingers normally, and 5 in some pieces of more detailed artwork.

That he was also designed specifically for the film, would suggest that is the correct/final design, with any that choose to give him 5 doing it for emphasis, mistake, or that they simply want to draw him with 5 fingers. It isn't that different than a number of other Digimon that have various design touches based on artist choice.

Last edited:

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That doesn't suggest a mistake in the movie, that suggests that different people are drawing him differently, which isn't that odd for animated characters.

He's seemingly being drawn with 4 fingers normally, and 5 in some pieces of more detailed artwork.

That he was also designed specifically for the film, would suggest that is the correct/final design, with any that choose to give him 5 doing it for emphasis, mistake, or that they simply want to draw him with 5 fingers. It isn't that different than a number of other Digimon that have various design touches based on artist choice.
Five seems to be the correct - his DRB/official art work has 5, as does his ReArise 3D model, as well as his hyper Colosseum card.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Five seems to be the correct - his DRB/official art work has 5, as does his ReArise 3D model, as well as his hyper Colosseum card.
As I said above, he was created/designed for the movie. If things separate from it use 5, that doesn't make using 5 wrong necessarily, but in no way does you randomly going 'well these things use 5' somehow make it 'correct'.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well he's not the first Digimon to gain/lose fingers anyway - Agumon sometimes has four and sometimes has three whilst Cyclonemon keeps switching between 2/3

Piers

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
but in no way does you randomly going 'well these things use 5' somehow make it 'correct'.
Digimon isn't a stranger to fully detailing something as bonkers as Gaiomon in an anime, and one artist's arbitrary decision that UlForceVeedramon should have claws in a single card illustration can work its way up to particularly expensive figure merch.
We aren't Kenji Watanabe, maybe he doesn't really care. It's just a single finger on Garurumon and I'm the only one who picked up on that silly detail.

On the other hand he'd have still needed to make a conscious decision how many fingers it needs, as he'd ought to being a professional veteran designer. Not honouring all those decisions doesn't paint a good look for the staff that passed interviews and worked up the promotion ladder.

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
but in no way does you randomly going 'well these things use 5' somehow make it 'correct'.
Digimon isn't a stranger to fully detailing something as bonkers as Gaiomon in an anime, and one artist's arbitrary decision that UlForceVeedramon should have claws in a single card illustration can work its way up to particularly expensive figure merch.
We aren't Kenji Watanabe, maybe he doesn't really care. It's just a single finger on Garurumon and I'm the only one who picked up on that silly detail.

On the other hand he'd have still needed to make a conscious decision how many fingers it needs, as he'd ought to being a professional veteran designer. Not honouring all those decisions doesn't paint a good look for the staff that passed interviews and worked up the promotion ladder.
TBF, they could've stepped in at any moment and said that Neptunemon shouldn't have a fishy maw in Xros Wars and no one batted an eye over that more glaring inconsistency.

Piers

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
TBF, they could've stepped in at any moment and said that Neptunemon shouldn't have a fishy maw in Xros Wars and no one batted an eye over that more glaring inconsistency.
No, that's true, and it's not uncommon for anime studios to throw their own assumptions in adapting designs — which is what MarcFBR was getting at I think.
Like the recent one was Robin from One Piece right? She was originally suppose to be a white chica, not tanned or dark skinned.

DragonicEmperor

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Taichi and Yamato be looking like you pulled up to the wrong neighbourhood.