Poll Results for Which Attribute is Your Favorite?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
digimonweb_site_january20_2021.jpg

A bit ago, the official Digimon site put up a poll for people to vote for which attribute was their favorite

Recently the poll closed and we have the results!

The poll question was...
So which [attribute] do you like the most among Digimon?

They thanked everyone for all the votes and noted...

The one with the most votes for favorite Digimon attribute was Vaccine.

Vaccine, with Agumon and Omegamon, received the most votes. However, virus, with Digimon like the Seven Great Demon Lords, wasn't far behind.

There are still many unique Digimon for each attribute, please continue to use the search function and enjoy the Digimon Encyclopedia.

The full results they gave was a chart showing the percentages...

pollresult_attribute_april27_2021.png

Vaccine- 35%
Virus- 30%
Data- 17%
Free- 7%
Unknown/No Data- 7%
Variable- 4%

The results are pretty much what you'd expect. Vaccine wins with Virus not super fast behind, while data is a solid 3rd, and everything else is roughly equivalent.

The poll for 'Which Vital Bracelet Did You Buy?' had results announced recently and we just got the reference book update for Great King Sukamon, voted for in a prior poll.

The poll for 'Which Holy Beast Subordinate Do You Share a Zodiac With?' is still running.

Attachments

• pollresult_attribute_april27_2021article.png
    pollresult_attribute_april27_2021article.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 8,179

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is it weird i dont really like Digimon by their types
Usually like a digimon for each type *ahem like pokemon lol

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yup pretty much as I suspected but didn't expect Free and Unknown types have equal votes.

But Data with halved votes... Sob

Bancho

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
oh whoops, I forgot to vote. All my favorites tend to be vaccines anyways even though I do love a ton of data digimon. There's a lot of viruses I like too but not not many are my favorites

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Disappointing, but not unexpected. Was hoping Data could do a bit better than it did, though. And when it comes to the non-standard attributes, I can't say I'm surprised that Variable is dead last. Variable just seems like a rather pointless addition.... like it's one thing to not bother giving Hybrids standard attributes, but it's another to forget that Free already existed when doing so. And as I was saying in the poll thread, on their own, Free and Variable are almost exclusive to Armors and Hybrids, so it might've been worth combining the two.

Speaking of the poll thread, I've been meaning to reply to this.
I would probably argue that a lot of Vaccines (especially those introduced after the anime started) all too often feature by-the-numbers "heroic" traits, but you are right that Viruses are the most easily discernable. On the other hand, a lot of viral variants of existing Digimon are typically just coating them in a black coat of paint (not that black isn't a cool color scheme for a lot of them, but it does reek of redundancy).

That doesn't explain why Gabumon's line have 2 Vaccine and 2 Data. Palmon's line being the only one with all Data, what makes her less heroic than the other main Digimon? Leomon is Vaccine, but his evolution SaberLeomon is Data? What's heroic about an abomination like MarinChimairamon?

There're also black variant Digimon that's not Virus like BlackGaogamon, BlackRapidmon, BlackStingmon, etc. So it's not exclusively a Virus thing.
I did say that designated hero designs for Vaccines were more prominent after the anime started. Since attributes weren't a thing in the original Digital Monster V-pets, they just kinda assigned attributes to the older Digimon after the fact, and I will agree that there doesn't seem to be a particular rhyme or reason behind why some of those Digimon were made Vaccines and others were made Data (Viruses still typically followed a pattern, though). Though concerning SaberLeomon, that's probably an indication of Leomon abandoning some of his justice to take on a more primal form (that, or they couldn't come up with something for that Data Ultimate slot in Nature Spirits and just settled on retooling one of the Perfects introduced in Ver.S). As for MarinChimairamon, that's likely because the original Chimairamon's a Data (and that's probably because, despite its origins, it is ultimately a neutral being).

As for those black variations you brought up, they're more the exception than the rule. In fact, Tamers is pretty unusual in that it introduced "black" versions of its main characters that somehow retain the same attributes (with the BlackGrowmon line, this is supposedly justified as it losing control to its viral instincts, though there wasn't quite as much of an excuse used for the Youkomon and BlackGalgomon lines). And BlackGaogamon was the result of mixing in Black Digitron, much like Omegamon Zwart (Zwart itself being a bit of an anomaly.... it's as if they introduced it as just Omegamon literally dyed black, completely forgetting "Oh hey, we've had this black variant of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon for years that we could've had fused", with Cyber Sleuth and later media retconning that to be the case, and then Zwart-D turning it into a true viral form).

As for "BlackStingmon", I don't understand why Wikimon insists that that's even a thing that exists. Stingmon's always had a dark green coloring, and looking closely, it's no different for that particular card. The only argument I could MAYBE see is the fact that it was a Data-attribute Stingmon (which is usually Virus in the card game) released alongside a Virus-attribute XV-mon (which is clearly colored black, maybe a very dark blue). A non-Virus being darker colored would be an ironic reversal of the standard trend, but later on in Battle Terminal, we did get other Data Stingmon in the card game that were the usual green color, which sheds even further doubt on that being the case.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That makes a lot of sense. We all know the top three. And everything else getting that much fits.

PCN24454

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Disappointing, but not unexpected. Was hoping Data could do a bit better than it did, though. And when it comes to the non-standard attributes, I can't say I'm surprised that Variable is dead last. Variable just seems like a rather pointless addition.... like it's one thing to not bother giving Hybrids standard attributes, but it's another to forget that Free already existed when doing so. And as I was saying in the poll thread, on their own, Free and Variable are almost exclusive to Armors and Hybrids, so it might've been worth combining the two.
The fact that Variable is exclusive to Hybrids and Free is almost exclusive to Armor is exactly what I like about them.

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The fact that Variable is exclusive to Hybrids and Free is almost exclusive to Armor is exactly what I like about them.

Banchostingmon was also variable once so it's not actuellt hybrid exclusive.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I'm willing to bet that it was only Variable in the Hyper Colosseum card game because that didn't use Free. They just assigned all the 02 Digimon some sort of standard attribute, yet apparently had a change of heart once Frontier rolled around.

As an aside, what's the deal with X-Antibody versions of Armor Digimon? Even the Reference Book gives them their Hyper Colosseum attributes, rather than making them all Free.

Sparrow Hawk

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Armor ones with X forms having normal Attributes gives me such large relief.

Yeah it always bothers me alot. Is it because he evolved from Stingmon whose Wormon evolved also he can Armor-evolve?
In logic, it should be Free Attribute if it is Adventure 02 reference.

Yet... "Variable" attribute. Wut is it some kind of glitched attribute or what? His profile never mention a single thing about this...

It's making me go crazy.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not the most interesting poll to me... probably because I'm mostly interested in the narrative driven parts of the franchise where Attributes tend to be largely irrelevant except in gimmicky exceptions.
But I wonder... If you simply took the results of the previous favourite Digimon Polls, added up the overall votes for each species and then sorted that by their attribute, I wonder how close you would come to the results of this poll...

I'm willing to bet that it was only Variable in the Hyper Colosseum card game because that didn't use Free. They just assigned all the 02 Digimon some sort of standard attribute, yet apparently had a change of heart once Frontier rolled around.
I wouldn't say that it was a change of heart since hybrids were overall a very special case of Digimon, while there was not much special about the 02 Digimon besides their shared attributes, so it made more sense to include a special Attributes with the Hybrids.
But I agree that they were using the already established Variable attribute as an approximation "Free" since it fills basically the same role and it wouldn't make much sense to introduce a new category for a single card.

As an aside, what's the deal with X-Antibody versions of Armor Digimon? Even the Reference Book gives them their Hyper Colosseum attributes, rather than making them all Free.
The DRB also treats all of them as Adult level, just like Hyper Colosseum never distinguished between the two levels.

I think if we assume that the free attribute is connected to them originating from ancient species (I don't think there's any other connection), then perhaps there could be an in-universe explanation since both Armor and Free would be, from the view of the digital world, outdated classifications not found in modern species; so when their digicores were modified by the X-antibody their stats were updated to use modern categories.

And BlackGaogamon was the result of mixing in Black Digitron, much like Omegamon Zwart (Zwart itself being a bit of an anomaly.... it's as if they introduced it as just Omegamon literally dyed black, completely forgetting "Oh hey, we've had this black variant of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon for years that we could've had fused", with Cyber Sleuth and later media retconning that to be the case, and then Zwart-D turning it into a true viral form).
I don't see how Anything about Omegamon Zwart was being retconned any more than any of the other hundreds of Digimon evolving differently than in their profile. CS even keeps the mention of Black Digitron in his profile, so nothing about the intent really changed.

As for "BlackStingmon", I don't understand why Wikimon insists that that's even a thing that exists. Stingmon's always had a dark green coloring, and looking closely, it's no different for that particular card. The only argument I could MAYBE see is the fact that it was a Data-attribute Stingmon (which is usually Virus in the card game) released alongside a Virus-attribute XV-mon (which is clearly colored black, maybe a very dark blue). A non-Virus being darker colored would be an ironic reversal of the standard trend, but later on in Battle Terminal, we did get other Data Stingmon in the card game that were the usual green color, which sheds even further doubt on that being the case.
Being paired with the Black XV-mon makes it very obvious that both the color and attribute were an intentional difference, so I'm not sure what other evidence would be needed. Especially since the Starter Pack 8 goes out of its way to include dark variants of other adult Digimon (BlackGalgomon, Greymon Virus, Garurumon Black...)

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Reapmon and Spadamon are Free in the DRB too unless we say they're also ancient ancestors

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Reapmon and Spadamon are Free in the DRB too unless we say they're also ancient ancestors
That was likely the result of them showing up in the V-pets before the Xros Wars Digimon were given proper attributes.

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was likely the result of them showing up in the V-pets before the Xros Wars Digimon were given proper attributes.

MadLeomon, AxeKnightmon, Bagramon and his evolutions, Damemon/Tuwarmon were all free in recent vpets but not their DRB retcons. Shoutmon and OmniShoutmon Free in HM

Spadamon was in no vpet or game. Iirc the DRB was the first to assign him Free