Pokémon Sword & Shield

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd have to think that they meant before you beat the league. Why wouldn't they? It doesn't make sense to not do.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
GameFreak does a lot of things that don't make sense. I don't know how they can't seem to get that the Pokemon are the main reason that people play Pokemon games, not whatever dumb gimmick battle mechanic they come up with and then drop the next generation.

CoDL

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly I was incredibly hyped after the Direct showed so much of the animation. Each new generation improves so much in terms of animation, story, and at least trying to come up with new interesting mechanics. But at the same time the games have gotten more hand-holdy, features get removed because they think "there's already so much stuff in here, they couldn't possibly want the Battle Frontier. They're all distracted by their cell phones anyways" and now unless this is just a misunderstanding or they didn't explain it well, they're even removing Pokemon from the game. Not having a National Dex in Generation 7 was bad enough for me (I really enjoy catching every Pokemon all over again. I don't transfer unless I need to)

And I totally understand that there are probably going to be around 900 models they have to create, texture, animate, etc and that all takes time. I do this stuff in my free time so I know how long it takes. But they've been using the same models since Generation 6 with only minor improvements. They designed the models to be future-proof at least for a while because if they were gonna move to 3D they wanted to get their money's worth. So that argument doesn't really impact this that much, I don't think. One day reanimating thousands of models will be big enough of an issue that it makes sense, but not yet. Not if they're reusing existing assets and using a significantly more powerful engine

I really hope that best case scenario it was some sort of misunderstanding, or at least it's something they'll patch some time after launch but this was a bad choice

Mild At Heart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Here's how my day went;

"omg, it's a corgi Pokemon, and I love it so mu- f(r)*ck*ng what?"

I was REALLY hyped and now I'm considering not even buying these games unless news comes to talk about how they'll properly fix it, but it seems like they're gonna make all games like that from now on. I hope that the backlash is great enough for them to look at patching them into the game in the future and never touching this subject again (other than to say "transfer is a thing and there are no restrictions once it's up and running!").

So far it's looking like there's quite a bit of outcry. The video that Nintendo has of them revealing this info had dislikes and likes at around 10K for both, the dislikes just shadowing at under 200ish likes. There's people tweeting their disappointment and I've heard the Japanese fandom is really mad about this.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah even Japanese fans are upset about this, which was how I realized it wasn't a mistranslation or anything like that. It's incredible how universally disliked this decision is, at least among dedicated fans. I hope it makes GameFreak think twice about taking this direction, but their history doesn't make me optimistic.

At least I'll always have Digimon.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With how the E3 of SW/SH became, I think that somehow I can be relieved that Digimon Survive still haven't announced its release date and its progress report much. It means Habumon & team are still struggling to make the best they can.

Probably pokemon needs to learn from Yokai Watch 4 (to delay the game several times), but I guess being no.1 of world's top grossing Multimedia Franchise isn't an easy thing.

DaiTigris

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ERROR::DaiTigris.Location could not be found.
Yeah even Japanese fans are upset about this, which was how I realized it wasn't a mistranslation or anything like that. It's incredible how universally disliked this decision is, at least among dedicated fans.
Out of curiosity sake, because I only hear how the Japanese fandom feels second hand, how upset would you say they are? Whenever the Japanese side of fan base gets brought up in general there's this kinda mentality I keep seeing pushed around(and for other games as well). That they are grateful toward a game studio/company gives them as a kinda of explanation for why they are not as vocal in expressing their displeasure over bad design choices. So I rarely see others referring to the Japanese fandom as being upset explicitly. This has me a little confused, I have no doubt that they have ways of expressing their dissatisfaction but then again perhaps I've been hearing from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

That aside, yeah I'm pretty upset about this too. It's also a double slap to the face especially after they put so much effort into reassuring Home would be the bridge to allow us to bring our Pokemon to new games. On top of this I can bet the biggest issue is Game Freaks incompetence in optimizing their own games. There are many bigger games being ported and designed for the Nintendo switch. So I find myself flabbergasted, what is taking up so much space that they thought it would be better just to cut an arbitrary roster of Pokemon from the game entirely? Especially when Sun/Moon/Ultra at lower size capacity, and a less powerful system, could handle the game and about 807 monsters with various animations(And a ton of unused ones left in the library to boot). I understand time is a very real issue for any game company and that porting resources isn't as simple as fans make it out to be(I had heard something about a lot of the assets being redesigned, but I can't find a proper link to that one so take a grain of salt in mind). I just wish Game Freak could understand that most fans don't want these games as quickly as they can make them. They want them given the care, respect and time needed to create a wonderful game.

With that said there are still a lot of things I like that are being done with Sword and Shield. Mixed encounters with tall grass and roving Pokemon seems to have found the best of both worlds. Over world Pokemon interactions are super cool giving different mechanics that vary based on the Pokemon itself. Also wild evolved Pokemon seem to have higher levels, giving a determinant to not just go hog wild and run into whatever you can find at first. By the looks of it we can collect ingredients so it's likely there's some kind of cooking mini game involved. Last of all Corviknight is definitely up there on favorite Pokemon designs. I get the feeling at some point I will play this game and mostly enjoy em. However considering the most recent turn of events it's not something I'm waiting for with baited breath.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah even Japanese fans are upset about this, which was how I realized it wasn't a mistranslation or anything like that. It's incredible how universally disliked this decision is, at least among dedicated fans.
Out of curiosity sake, because I only hear how the Japanese fandom feels second hand, how upset would you say they are? Whenever the Japanese side of fan base gets brought up in general there's this kinda mentality I keep seeing pushed around(and for other games as well). That they are grateful toward a game studio/company gives them as a kinda of explanation for why they are not as vocal in expressing their displeasure over bad design choices. So I rarely see others referring to the Japanese fandom as being upset explicitly. This has me a little confused, I have no doubt that they have ways of expressing their dissatisfaction but then again perhaps I've been hearing from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

That aside, yeah I'm pretty upset about this too. It's also a double slap to the face especially after they put so much effort into reassuring Home would be the bridge to allow us to bring our Pokemon to new games. On top of this I can bet the biggest issue is Game Freaks incompetence in optimizing their own games. There are many bigger games being ported and designed for the Nintendo switch. So I find myself flabbergasted, what is taking up so much space that they thought it would be better just to cut an arbitrary roster of Pokemon from the game entirely? Especially when Sun/Moon/Ultra at lower size capacity, and a less powerful system, could handle the game and about 807 monsters with various animations(And a ton of unused ones left in the library to boot). I understand time is a very real issue for any game company and that porting resources isn't as simple as fans make it out to be(I had heard something about a lot of the assets being redesigned, but I can't find a proper link to that one so take a grain of salt in mind). I just wish Game Freak could understand that most fans don't want these games as quickly as they can make them. They want them given the care, respect and time needed to create a wonderful game.

With that said there are still a lot of things I like that are being done with Sword and Shield. Mixed encounters with tall grass and roving Pokemon seems to have found the best of both worlds. Over world Pokemon interactions are super cool giving different mechanics that vary based on the Pokemon itself. Also wild evolved Pokemon seem to have higher levels, giving a determinant to not just go hog wild and run into whatever you can find at first. By the looks of it we can collect ingredients so it's likely there's some kind of cooking mini game involved. Last of all Corviknight is definitely up there on favorite Pokemon designs. I get the feeling at some point I will play this game and mostly enjoy em. However considering the most recent turn of events it's not something I'm waiting for with baited breath.
Multiple comments I read on Reddit in different threads were saying the national dex stuff was trending on Twitter in Japan as well, so they're just as pissed as us in the west

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They did change that thing people hated in Mario Maker 2 so I guess they're thinking about how to fix this. Maybe in a update later. This would effect them greatly much like how the Animal Crossing thing messed stuff up.

DaiTigris

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mario Maker 2 and Animal crossing are Nintendo in house productions. Pokemon is developed by Game Freak, Nintendo publishes the game for them. In terms of what Game Freak is willing to do...they are pretty stubborn. In the past the only major updates done in the 3DS games where to fix bugs(such as the Lumiose city save glitch). I'd even argue that Ultra moon/sun would have been a fine time for them to give DLC a try but instead they fully released the whole game. It's not to say that with what's going on they might begin considering alternative means to add content, but I'm not counting on it either.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It seems like a 50/50 chance. How hard are their heads compared to ours. Or something like that.

Rika24

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just hope they include Houndoom in this game, as well as a new Pokémon based on the black dog legend

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

A regional form that can evolve, a Pokemon that can switch types by using a attack, new rivals, and a new team... but most importantly of all, we finally have "Hangry" in Pokémon ladies and gentlemen. :)

Exodd

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So the antagonists are Team Yell, a bunch of obnoxious fanboys. Doesn't sound worth the main character's effort.
The latest Pikachu that gets violent when not getting fed enough.
A taunting Pokemon that is commonly used by upset youths of the region.
Commentary or coincidence?

What have they done to Linoone? :eek: But that Weezing is hilarious. :D

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man... Aside from regional variants returning, which is wonderful because that was one of GameFreak's best ideas in years, I'm just so uninterested in everything they've shown so far. I think it's just too hard to get excited for new Pokemon when I'm too busy wondering whether or not my favorites are going to be included. Under normal circumstances, I feel like I'd have gone crazy over Impidimp or KISSzagoon, but it's hard to get attached to any new Pokemon when there's no promise I'll get to play with them in a full game again until years later. Whatever, I've already decided that if I ever do get Sword or Shield, it'll only be if Banette's in it, and I'll be buying it used. Otherwise I'll just wait and hope the upgraded versions are better.

Edit: Okay I have to comment on one other thing: Does Morpeko have built in flesh pockets??? Because that's sure what it looks like to me:

Last edited:

DaiTigris

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When I saw the trailer yesterday I had to double check that it was the official channel. I mean I should be used to weird stuff in Pokemon. For some odd reason this one felt almost strait out of a fans "I'd like to see this" thread to me. That aside I really liked that regional variants are still a thing as I was feeling rather antsy about what other features might not return in these games. I really like Zigazoon's line interpretation as Linoone is based off a Japanese badger to begin with. So it's a pretty logical leap to European badger like design.

Also yes Tortoiseshel, I'm pretty sure that's what it looks like. By the way the shadow dimples behind the limb, the odd shape making it look like it's cut off, and the lack of finger features is what I take to indicate that. Also it's blurb on the SW&SH site says it's always carrying around food so having pouches to store it in isn't surprising. However considering it's based off a hamster I'm a little surprised they didn't do something with the cheek pouches, or perhaps they thought that looked too goofy...

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why surprised of Morpeko's pockets? Marsupial species like Kangaroo have flesh pouches.

DaiTigris

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Weird pokemon biology borrowing from other related species isn't too surprising. However hamsters are kinda known for storing food in their cheek pockets so not taking advantage of it in the design is what surprised me.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We have a smarmy rival, a girl rival and her terrible fans as the "evil" team, Doug Weezingdome, KISSzagoon as a new evo, A ham ham that gets angry when hungry(the Snicker's commercial), and some kind of job feature?

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So the antagonists are Team Yell, a bunch of obnoxious fanboys. Doesn't sound worth the main character's effort.
I really doubt they're the main antagonists. Much like Team Skull, I suspect there's a larger force that will be manipulating them behind the scenes. A lot of people are suspicious of Chairman Rose.

A taunting Pokemon that is commonly used by upset youths of the region.
Commentary or coincidence?
FWIW, considering their vuvuzelas, face paint and disruptive behaviour, Team Yell are very likely based on football hooligans who are known for such stuff.