Pokémon Sword & Shield

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks to the Nintendo Direct earlier, we have the reveal of the newest Gen of Pokémon games - "Sword and Shield"!

The Region this time around seems to be the UK, the starters look a little iffy but it'll depend on their evolutions I guess.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree with Vande on that last one. But I always pick water starter anyway. So far I have no idea which to get but I might get Sword. At least by name.

Rika24

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So far I’m going with Sword because it sounds cooler than shield lol. As for starters, they seem pretty meh to be so far, but at least fire continues the zodiac theme. Based on his looks, there’s no way we AREN’T getting a fire/fighting final evo I’m guessing, that pose just makes me think kicking specialty *sigh* as it stands I will continue with my pattern of picking fire... for now

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pokémon always looks to me like the same recycled thing over the last 20 years tbh, it feels like if they were afraid of trying something new. Anyways, as for the starters, their designs are not really the best ones (the monkey is cute though), while the new polished graffics seem pretty nice and all the British ambiance is a cool touch I guess. I didn't understand whenever they told this game targets a grown-up and kids audience, and also the Let's GO players (wasn't the latter supposed to be a filler game?). My first impression overall is that Pokémon Zubamon & Pokémon Ludomon is not as alluring as Alola initially was.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The designs are kinda bleh, but the fire rabbit is best so far. The final stage is what matters, though.

I'm surprised they're back to random encounters.

Also, if it really is a UK region and not assumptions, then neat.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
the starters aren't ugly, but IMO they're lack of variations. I mean, look at all of them, they have roundy cute faces, that's all. Moreover, they lack of unique traits like being quadrupedal or quirky eye shapes (like cyndaquil). So I guess they're so-so...

btw did you remember the fakemon news last year?
I guess the rabbit starter looked quite similar to fakemon's one

Rika24

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm surprised they're back to random encounters.
i wondered about that myself for a second until I thought about it. In Pokémon go when you go around catching them it isn’t a random encounter, you choose which Pokémon to go after. The Let’s Go series seems to be catered to turning people who got into Pokémon through Go into real players of the main series.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Even when I did an idea for a Rabbit Fire Starter I had it be part Fighting. It just seems like it would work. Still picking the water starter though.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not sure how I feel about the starters, something about them just isn't clicking with me like the other groups in previous generations. I am warming up to Sobble and Grookey at the moment, but I still wouldn't say they're my favorite base forms.

The region on the other hand I do like, UK is a good choice and it looks like they're adapting it to the Pokémon world pretty well, so I look forward to seeing more of it.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We Kaiju battlin' now!?

Rival looks interesting, hopefully somewhat of a jerk. Female professor, her assistant(?) looking noice. Pokémon in the overworld was a surprise since the last trailer implied random battles only. Looks like we surf via some kind of aqua-bike thing so hopefully HMs are well and truly dead. Online battles hopefully won't be mandatory or at least not suck. That mysterious man at the end with the Charizard...looks kinda like the rival's father.

Onto the Legendries, I was kinda hoping the wolves would be more like the Legendary Dogs from Johto rather than the main box Legendries. They look okay, just a bit same-y. I'm curious as to what that mysterious wind was that caused them to stop fighting and stand back to back, maybe the Giant that was engraved onto the mountain???

Overall, an okay trailer. Didn't blow me away like the first one did but I like the fresh direction they're taking it.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
tbf, a new sheep pokemon was obvious, one part of the region will be full of them and nothing else.

CoDL

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We Kaiju battlin' now!?

Rival looks interesting, hopefully somewhat of a jerk. Female professor, her assistant(?) looking noice. Pokémon in the overworld was a surprise since the last trailer implied random battles only. Looks like we surf via some kind of aqua-bike thing so hopefully HMs are well and truly dead. Online battles hopefully won't be mandatory or at least not suck. That mysterious man at the end with the Charizard...looks kinda like the rival's father.
The guy with the Charizard is the Champion of the region. His name is Leon and your rival is his brother (named Hop)

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wooloo loo! Everyone loves the sheep. But I think people also love Edger Allen Uber over there. I also like the bite turtle. You Can't Wobble The Sobble!

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Apparently you can't transfer any old Pokemon from Home to Sword and Shield unless they're in the Galar regional dex. I was so excited for these games but this news has just killed it completely. I can only hope this was a mistranslation or miscommunication or SOMETHING because this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, especially after the Pokemon Home announcement talked about how people have had their Pokemon for years, and I thought the point they were making with that was, "Here's a new platform to store your beloved Pokemon and bring them to future games with you!" Guess not. But at least all the Kanto Pokemon will definitely be there! GameFreak loves Kanto even more than Bandai and Toei love Adventure.

Man I've always praised Pokemon for being the one monster fighting franchise that never cut out older monsters, but I guess I can't even say that anymore. Guess I'll spend the ~$60 on that Dark Crystal tactical RPG instead...

DragonicEmperor

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But at least all the Kanto Pokemon will definitely be there! GameFreak loves Kanto even more than Bandai and Toei love Adventure.
Nostalgia is the bane to my existence. Kanto for Pokémon, Duel Monsters for Yu-gi-Oh! and Adventure for Digimon.

As someone who loves Unova, Zexal and Tamers/Frontier, I will never not be salty whenever we go back on nostalgia trip #60958390.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's always like one step forward, five steps back with GameFreak. I'm so tired of these constant boneheaded decisions. Removing well-liked features between generations was bad enough, but this is a new level. My last hope is that they reconsider, or at least patch in the rest of the Pokemon later, which might not be all that unlikely considering I've already seen a pretty huge backlash from fans. If they don't, and this is how they're going to be going forward, then I'm done with Pokemon. Being able to bring older Pokemon to new games with me was one of my favorite parts about the series, and was something it had over other monster fighting franchises I love like Digimon, Spectrobes, and Telefang. But you know, at least those games had the excuse of smaller budgets and dev teams. But Pokemon is literally the highest grossing media franchise on the planet, not to mention they already have every single Pokemon modeled and animated, which they've been (smartly, and efficiently) reusing since X and Y. They have no such excuse.

Also that new corgi Pokemon Yamper looks awful. Why is its face so flat, and what even is that lemon-lime-ass color scheme?

Last edited: