Pokemon Gold and Silver coming to the 3DS virtual console

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/6/6/15745806/pokemon-gold-and-silver-nintendo-3ds-release-date

Honestly I'm a bit mixed on this.

On one hand....why? Heartgold and Soulsilver are compatible with the 3DS and improve so much on the original gen 2 games with better graphics, improved mechanics and game plau the poke walker a more involved myth arc, and a bigger Kanto and more content. And it actually made sense to release gen 1 on VC not just because of nostalgia and the big 20 year anniversary but because the gba remakes arent compatible with the 3DS and another gen 1 remake would have been overkill.

On the other hand oh my god nostalgia. I actually played Gold before any gen 1 game. Being my first it has a special place in my heart and I may get it for sentimental reasons.

So idk I may get at least gold.

CoDL

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My guess is that these games will somehow account for pokemon you can't find in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, just like how the gen 1 virtual consoles had the normal variants of Alolan forms. Maybe US/UM will have new Alolan forms for gen 2 pokemon, maybe not, but I'm willing to bet there will be enough gen 2 pokemon that don't appear in US/UM to justify them.

On the other hand maybe they saw the success the gen 1 virtual console release had and wanted to give it another go. Gen 2 doesn't necessarily have as much of a nostalgia factor as gen 1, but gen 2 was immensely popular and there's a feature from those games that's been requested in just about every generation since (a post game new region to explore).

I personally never got to play any gen 2 games so I'm probably gonna get one. My older brother had all 3 gen 2 games while I only had Red and by the time he got "too old for pokemon" and gave them to me their internal batteries had died. I did play Soul Silver so I at least know what to expect with the virtual console releases.

AquaVersus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You're really wondering why?

Gold, Silver, and Crystal (hope that's gonna come soon) are my favorite Pokémon games. I didn't get to play HeartGold and SoulSilver because I missed out on buying them when they were new, and now they go for hundreds of dollars. I definitely want to play them someday and I'm sure they're amazing especially for a Johto fan like myself, but I really want to play the original games -- and I can't because of the internal battery issue (that and I lack a GBA SP).

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
HG and SS go for like $50 at game stop.... not hundreds of dollars...

I mean if you dont have $50 then yes $10 is a lot cheaper and the gold and silver games still hold up reasonably well (then again I'm of the opinion the gen 1 games hold up fine despite how ugly and dated they are)

But HG/SS> G/S

AquaVersus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You're saying I can buy a new copy of HG or SS for $50 at Gamestop? Because I don't generally buy used games.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I might have just released Crystal but if people want to play the original games, that might be fine. I remember the games very well. They were great. I wonder if they'd do the original RSE next.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
HGSS is definitely my favorite Pokemon game, but I'll get Gold just for old time's sake, and so transferring everything over isn't such a tedious process that requires multiple devices. It's still a great game, even if it's outdated.

The lack of Crystal is a bit of a bummer though. Wanted ALL the legendaries...

(also this was announced, like, two months ago =P)

Duplicated

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Because I don't generally buy used games.
There are good deals to be had when you're looking for used games. But yeah, you'll need to do A LOT of research to find a near mint one (aka not getting yourself ripped off). Did you see the part where I made an emphasis? Yeah, A LOT!

I just bought a CIB used copy of SS for $75 earlier, after having returned another copy to a different seller for borderline false advertising (pokewalker was significantly defaced while the picture in the listing indicated otherwise). This time, the pokewalker was spotless and came with both back pieces. Box was in near mint condition, although there's a small blurry crease in the middle. Both pokewalker and cartridge work, and so now I have HGSS with manuals/pokewalker/etc side by side.

That first seller that burned me was a result of three days of research. The one that I settled with came up on the fifth day. So yeah, there's quite a bit of work involved. If you insist on getting only a new copy though... well, either you lower your standard a bit like I did, or you cough up the dough for the crazy a$$ price - those brand new copies can reasonably be considered as collector's item at this point.

Last edited:

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I bought mine used at gamestop for $50 at the end of last year and it works fine. On my third playthrough actually