Pokemon Go

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know it's kinda early to discuss a game that hasn't yet been released, but considering all the hype we've created for tri., I think we actually dedicate some time to discuss a first-of-its-kind game game of another (albeit rival) franchise. We've had a lot of news on Pokemon Go on YouTube and reddit, hell, even on 4chan, so this is just me calling out to that plethora of users to create some hype here as well. Also, since the beta testing has already started in Japan, if anyone of you are from Japan and ​in the beta, I think we'd all love to hear your feedback on how the game is so far. So, here we go. Knock yourselves out.

EDIT: Pokemon Go has already released on the Play Store and iTunes Store in some countries. Those who know how to access the game are getting it already. I'll be joining my Trainer brethren when my phone comes back from repairs. From the look of things, they've rolled out only generations 1 and 2 as of yet, but Niantic has confirmed that they'll be rolling out till at least the Alola region. TPC has also confirmed that there will be cross-connectivity between Pokemon Sun and Moon and Pokemon Go. I'll be joining Team Mystic. For more news, follow The Silph Road on reddit and Team Atlas Go's YouTube channel.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sounds kind of like fun. Not sure about going places to get some but I'm sure if people actually can go places, they'll be playing this there to get what's there.

Gigamon23

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's got really popular where I'm at (a college town), and it was really fun to run around with folks catching Pokemon in the middle of the night. :)

CoDL

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Out here in the middle of nowhere I'm probably the only one playing haha. I'm having trouble connecting to GPS a lot so I haven't been able to play it much. I caught a Weedle and that's it. It's interesting but without a reliable connection or a reason to leave the house I'm probably not going to catch much.

ShindoW

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I live in the woods but I've been enjoying it okay. I'm almost level 5 and have a decent selection of Pokemon. Just no Pokestops or Gyms in walking distance.

Yume

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The constant server maintenance that keeps happening as I'm about to leave the house are not helping, but they're understandable. Pokemon Go is nice, but I think it won't be long before people get tired of it. I'd just like to get all 151 Pokemon.

Shikou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Its an alright app. I dont see many people walking around catching Pokemon where I am. The PokeSpot or SpokeStop is very close and nobody has claimed it yet as a gym.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Shinkou: That's because you can't claim PokéSpots as gyms. Gyms exist in specific locations and are different than PokéSpots.

At this point, my university's swarming with students playing Pokémon Go, also late into the night much like at Gigamon's locality (and seems to be the same from people I know at other colleges). I mean, I'm fairly sure I'm seeing more students at a time on campus now (and around midnight) than during a proper semester. We have a couple gyms and at least 10 PokéSpots (with one cluster of 3-4 within radius). This could turn problematic with my students this coming semester if the game stays as popular as it is now (and whenever the inevitable next-gen Pokémon get released). I'm just waiting for there to be a student-based social media group with live-fed info about Pokémon.

The popularity is almost contradictory to the immense server issues that are occurring. Evidently, they were so underprepared that they're having to halt adding more locations to the release. I know my app crashes probably every couple of minutes unless I'm really lucky (tonight was the longest it's lasted so far, so hopefully that means fixes are being made). Those wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for all of the issues connecting. I may want a Gyarados, but I don't want to stare at one for 5+ minutes while the app's locked in an eternal load screen. Or having issues retrieving user data on the Gyarados screen (which seems to be more of an issue in my building than elsewhere on campus…). Oh, or the issue where it loads the map but not user data.

I'm seeing a lot of people who don't seem to have any of those issues, so I'm wondering if certain phones seem to be optimal.

Rika24

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
been playing for 2 days now and already caught 2 Eevee (one on a walk and the other in my bedroom... no Vulpix yet though :( currently level 5, but i haven't picked a team yet.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It arrived in the UK today and I am soooo happy that it did! I've been enjoying it while on the way home from work. There is very little in the way of Gym/Poke stops near my home. The nearest one is 10mins at the park. Loads of stops on the way to and from work so that's all good. The amusing thing, my work is a gym XD

Yume

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So what teams are you guys on? Team Mystic here.

kkanbara

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One of my best friends calls the game -- and I totally agree with him -- "violently beta". So hopefully it will get its stuff sorted out soon, but so far I'm really enjoying myself playing the game. I'm level 13 and on team v, with a pokestop right at my work so I'm also very happy. Vande, we're basically in the same boat haha I have been reclaiming 2 gyms every day on my walk to work for the past 2 or 3 days

What's your guys' best mon? I have a Hypno with 765 cp, but Toronto is swarming with Drowzee so that's really not a big deal at all

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since I only got it today my highest pokemon is a 100CP Squirtle. Still working the game out in that respect lol. How did you get that Hypno so high o.o

I'm on Team Mystic.

CoDL

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since I only got it today my highest pokemon is a 100CP Squirtle.
I've been playing for a week and my strongest is a 108 CP Psyduck so you're not doing too bad. Not too many pokemon have been spawning in my neighborhood so that isn't helping me raise my level. It's better than my friend though. I've been at his house 3 separate times and nothing spawns there at all. The only pokemon he has is his starter.

I recently reached level 5 but there are no gyms near me so I probably won't be able to pick a team until school starts again. I'll probably choose Team Valor

kkanbara

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How did you get that Hypno so high o.o

Hahahaha. If you catch enough Drowzees (which are literally by the bucketload at my work) and evolve them from there, the CP is waaay higher than catching a straight hypno. That's a standard thing for all evos, just so you know haha

I'll probably choose Team Valor
Woohoo team Valor!!!

I've been seeing a lot of hate for Instinct because it's yellow & since Pokemon yellow was the third game to come out, people don't like it as much. I always just associated the teams with the legendary birds, not the actual games of those colours. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

DigitalCorp

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've heard some headlines on Fox News, and people are seriously getting injured playing this game. One person fell off a cliff and survived.

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Team Instinct with a cp 1200 Vaporeon

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And I have a phone made by Windows. So there was no chance to get it so I'll get it soon. Looks like fun.