Pokemon = Digimon ? Copied from what?

Roberto zampari

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Let's talk about things that Pokemon copied from Digimon and vice versa:

Mega Evolution: One thing that Pokemon X and Y copied from Digimon is Mega Evolution. Many fans speculated that this is unique for Digimon franchise. Strangely, this can be a coincidence because of the digimon dubs.
Reburst / Digimon Hybrid Fusion: Pokemon Reburst is a manga where humans can fuse / transform into a digimon. This is a concept from Digimon Tamers and Frontier. The Pokemon Sun and Moon manga possibly references this fact.
Grookey / MonMon: Grookey from Pokemon Sword and Shield have a greater similarity with Monmon, a monkey digimon.
Ordering an attack: In Digimon Ghost Game, the Digimon performs attacks by their Human Partners. This might be a nod to Pokemon when Pokemon Trainers order an attack with their Pokemons.

Correct me if i'm wrong about these "facts".

ShootingStarMel

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not sure about that last one since ordering attacks is far from new to Digimon, the penultimate one would also be like comparing Gokuwmon to Infernape

Bancho

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel that comparing Mega Evolution to Burst Mode is more fair than comparing Mega Evolution to Digimon's Lv. 6 just because their dub names are similar. Both Burst Mode and Mega Evolution are temporary forms considered evolutions without changing the monster's name outside a "Burst Mode" or "Mega" descriptor with the only real difference between them being that Burst Modes are achieved through Digisoul and Mega Evolution is obtained through stones and, by extension, the lores surrounding Digisoul and Mega Stones

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While Pokemon have certain lists, we have certain Digimons to match with:

Eevee?

Pulsemon for Mind, Body, and Soul "evolutions".
Aegiomon with five different colored Aegiochussmon for matching its surroundings. Gammamon with four different Adult forms depending on his moods(?).
Dracomon with Sky/Ground evolution lines
All Adventure 02 partners with 15 Digimental with so many elemental powers or unique powers.
Tailmon's evolution along with her subspecies for Good, Bad and Neutral side.
Justimon arm modes: Normal, Speed and Power
Ten Ancient Warriors/Legendary Warriors

Pokemon have female flower pokemons and we have this Fairy types ladies whose aren't listed as Plant types.... If that is really case, then how come Hudiemon's type got to be that Insect rather than "Fairy"?! Digimon logic.

Pokemon have Musketeers trio and we have Jesmon with this Kancolle ghost dragon trio.

Rival bugs. Kabuterimon/Kuwagamon.

Hagurumon... And Ogremon X happened then that ferret pokemon got new evo.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All of these things are common to monster-raising franchises and Japanese media in general. I find it hard to believe anyone actually thinks they're actually copying each other.

DPTronazel

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All of these things are common to monster-raising franchises and Japanese media in general. I find it hard to believe anyone actually thinks they're actually copying each other.
Basically anyone who doesn't have any knowledge on those other series and would rather target Digimon instead due to the whole "similar" title and the series itself focus around monsters (sorry if I sound harsh, but what would really sound harsh if I said "ignorant" instead)

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not when most people don't know that "monster-raising/taming games" even exists as a genre outside of Pokemon. Every time a new monster tamer game comes out, you'll see dozens of articles with titles like "This new Pokemon-like game! Will this be what finally takes down Pokemon?!", which has been happening a lot recently since we're kind of having a "mongame renaissance" at the moment.

Otherwise you're right, though. Most of these are just genre convention, or popular Japanese media trends. Not that that'll stop any of the countless Pokemon comparisons, or the endless "ripoff" accusations.

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The closest I think Digimon has come to *actually* copying is with World 3/2003. It's a one on one turned based JRPG where you fight gym leaders to get badges, then an evil team shows up, and then at the end you fight the Elite 4 and Champion (this being exclusive to Japan and the EU, as this was removed in the US version). World 3 is basically just an edgy Pokemon game (since the evil team are terrorists)

In regards to Pokemon, Yokai Watch is what they copied more when the SM anime turned into SOL and has Z-Rings and the Rotom Dex (literally a Yokai BFF and a watch).

Geode

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Does anybody have ideas about Digimon similar to Pikachu and Scizor?

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah. Yo-Kai Watch has been more of the "copy" but that somehow failed in everywhere but maybe Europe. Sad too. But I frequently joke that it was 2003 that people(like here) stopped comparing the two shows. I joke that we all grew up and realized that comparing them like some kind of Console War was really stupid. ...I still stand by that for most times.

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Elecmon||Pikachu, Snimon||Scizor (more Scyther but eh, close enough). Although those similarities are less about anyone copying/ripping anyone off as they are about two different creators having their own interpretations of "cute little electric mammalian critter" and "big scary scythe mantid".

RainyEmotionalAura

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pokemon is just a shoddy Ultraman ripoff. Dan Moroboshi needs to sue that whiny Ash for copyright infringement. :p

Momentai

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree.

You can compare them if you like it and find similarities. You can think they took some kind of inspiration from each other (given that they are both so well known and "canonic" it's not impossible), possibly even unintentionally.
But I definitively don't like the term "copy" or "rip-off". Personally