[Podcast] Lost In Translationmon - Digimon Adventure: (2020) Episode 12 discussion!

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe that Appmon did well except for the video game. I remember hearing that other products, such as the chips, were successful. I'm not too worried about there being no follow-up anime yet. Wouldn't be the first (or even third) time we've had to wait a few years between series.

Chakmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hunters 67-68-69

I NEVER noticed the other goggleheads were both in the title card background, AND in the shadows of the Old Man's boat at the end of Episode 68! That makes the ending of this series even more disheartening, as I always assumed they had no idea where they were going with this story and just slapped together the ending out of nowhere.... but now it would seem they were laying the groundwork for this bizzarre ending almost 10-episodes prior! That is quite upsetting! It's not as random an ending as I always assumed...

Yes, these episodes were pretty forgettable... But I liked the length of time they gave to the Kiichi and Locomon meeting in Episode 67. And yes, this was absoultely out-of-character for Ren to just give-up and tell Kiichi he didn't want his Digimon anymore! Ren is way more competitive/cut-throat than that! But the plot required he be a Team Rocket member for this episode. Anyway, Kiichi was cute in his little train conductor outfit, and his friendship with Locomon was endearing, and the episode gave a good amount of time to showing how they met and became friends, so I thought it was pretty well done.

Volcdramon was pretty cool in Episode 68, although he didn't really do anything cool. And Episode 69 was pretty much a waste... While one could emphasize with Makoto's loneliness, having to move around and change schools so much, how could he build his trust on Phelesmon?! And I think you guys are too hard on Tagiru. He has a good heart, and I found it absolutely believable he would befriend Makoto Is such a quick manner. Taiki is growing more-and-more on Tagirru and Yuu's personalities.

I didn't get to post on Episodes 64-65-66 with the short week between. Yay to Episode 64! I liked Nene in Hong Kong, but the premise was kind of weak. Best line in the episode: "Look at me Taichi-san, I'm gonna be in a movie!!" That and FlaWizardmon was cool in Episode 65. A low-energy Tagiru was interesting to see... even better, the Tagiru-esque FlaWizardmon! haha

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Aww Chakmon you missed our recording by like 12 hours!
We'll include your post in the next episode *nod nod*

Episode 163 - One Pun Man
The funniest thing in this episode might be the fact that Wikipedia has a typo in the episode titles and we're going with that.
May and Jay also say nice things about Digimon so that's nice too and must be a highlight.

That, or Patamon Xros Sparrowmon...
Linkdump

Chakmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hunters 70-71-72

Soory May... I fell behind a bit... and ajusting to your new recording schedule?? I'll try to post sooner going forward, especially since we only have a few more weeks to go!!

I AM VERY surprised we got a '4' from Jay on Episode 70! I honestly thought we would have nothing above '2' for the rest of this series! I really liked the scary set-up of Episode 70 (especially the beginning) and I think Tagiru just said it was a Digimon initially but wasn't really sure, which is why he so easily succumbed to fear. It was hilarious how Tagiru was clamped onto Yuu's shoulder out of fear. I have to say I have really been enjoying the Tagiru and Yuu dynamic/relationship. What is odd about Tagiru is once he definitely knows it's a Digimon, he looses all fears and his primary directive to Catch 'Em All becomes his sole purpose. It looks even sillier when we see the Scooby-Doo episode compared with how he reacts to Volcdramon two episodes prior. His fear was so funny though. And I love how he accuses people of lacking "romance" when they rationalize anything.... Tagiru is so cute. Also, Patamon and Poyomon having been killed by Airu IS the only thing that makes sense! What a sad premise....

Episode 71 with Betsumon was just dumb... almost too dumb to be entertaining, but there were some funny bits.

Episode 72 is a favorite because I love Ekakimon! A very creative digimon, and Chicchi-san must be pretty psyched to see their Digimon used in an episode, as the #1 winner (The Taiki & Shoutmon Award) of the Original Digimon contest done in the last arc! Now the First and Fourth place winners have seen their Digimon animated into an episode. I also really like Shouta! As someone who liked drawing a lot as a kid, Shouta was relatable. Plesiosaurs, dragons, big foots, all with unique modifications! And UMAs!! While I can understand the fact that Shouta had the "ultimate weapon" but never really use it, would be a source of frustration. I think Shouta desire to just be free to create and be left alone shines through, and even his bullies become won over! I don't think Shouta or Ekakimon were ever really evilly motivated here. They just went too far, which is what art is supposed to do! Push the limits! Ekakimon, you are awesome!!

Among all the stand-alone Digimon Hunters episodes I can offer this critique: while I enjoy the monster-of-the-week format and the "Digimon Mysteries" presentation of it "You think a Digimon might be involved?!" (BTW Yuu has an awesome suspicious look on his face in Episode 72 when he's wondering about Shouta and Damemon asks him if anything's wrong?) they way the episodes resolve themselves is almost ALWAYS terrible, which is a testament to the bad writing overall in this miniseries. ALL the Digimon going to Tagiru is also a bit silly, but not even knowing the purpose or goal of this Digimon Hunt one could argue is unforgivable! If you didn't find Tagiru to be funny, cute and adorable... why would anyone watch this far? Having no story, no purpose and not very good episode-to-episode plots?

I noticed McDonalds has been a sponsor for the length of Hunters. I wonder if there were ever any Happy Meal toys?? I'd love a Tagiru & Gumdramon, Yuu & Damemon, and Taiki & King Shoutmon Happy Meal figure sets. Or an Arresterdramon, Tswamon or OmegaShoutmon figure! Collect all six!!! (somehow, I doubt this was ever available...)

Last edited:

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I didn't get the impression that Patamon and Poyomon were dead. Just in the Digi-quartz and effecting reality in that super-natural way that Digimon do.

Gotta disagree about episode 72 Chakmon. IMO, it's just dumb enough to work. Betsumon creating a sweat-shop because his powers are harnessed from kitschy costumes and then being defeated by terrible puns is the kind of absurd sci-fi nonsense that makes Hunters enjoyable. (See also, Ultimate Weapon: Eraser! These were some fun episodes.)

However, the brief glimpses of Gumdramon's past do make me wish they had a few episodes based around Shoutmon's role as King, and how the Digital World has changed. Especially his new relationship with Gokumon and Sanzomon, and whatever the story behind that is.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys mentioned this, but Gumdramon receiving the golden ring as a punishment for his wild behaviour is a direct reference to "Journey to the West".

Last edited:

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Chakmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hunters 73-74-75

I have to say I totally loved the themed wetsuits in Episode 73. Especially Yuu's, but I'm partial to yellow. It's funny that made May mad, as they had apparently never gone diving in their lives, but they were still able to find their own themed diving outfits. Taiki's had a great look too! I thought the idea that this episode as a stand-alone was potentially a pitch for a movie plot was brilliant. I never even thought about that, but looking back, Episode 73 could have totally been a movie for Digimon Hunters. Exotic locales and wetsuits!

Episode 74 had only two highlights for me: (1) the stupid brat kid that beat Hiroya and later got his cards taken was hilarious! He went from over-confident jerk to crybaby in seconds... as he is just a little kid. I found him funny.... Also, the funniest part, as the game was going on and the room was hushed and each play brought a gasp from the crowd, Tagiru kept saying "are these cards good?" in a gasping way, while Yuu (knowing the game) tries to explain. I defer to Jay commentary on the episode and the fact there was no real game here, just point-based high cards does make this episode kind of dumb... Speaking of which, Tagiru kept saying he wanted to play, but everyone kept saying he won't be able to remember the rules... poor Tagiru... he is simple... but that's why I love him.

Episode 75 was just kind of weird, but Digimon Land was kind of cute as a Disneyesque theme park for Digimon. I also loved the repeated "Digimon Land-o??" of the audio on my fan-sub. Cute. And yes, Bakomon was adorable, and the variety they made of him for this episode was interesting. I loved that grey packing tape is his weapon. This was the 5th place design from last arc's contest by Kenichi Ishii-san. The variation on Bakomon's design for other Bakomon was pretty cool. The contest winner episodes are always interesting kind of one-off episodes where the contest digimon isn't really a bad guy but is given ample time to shine as a character in his time slot. So far we got episodes featuring: Bakomon (5), Ekakimon (1), and Ganemon (4). But what happened to second place Footmon and third place SoundBirdramon (cool design, but not a -dramon IMO)??? Also, what is up with Pillomon and Yaki'imon? When was this "Recruiting Original Digimon! The Championship Prize!" thing done? I saw no bump ad on my fan-sub during Hunters.... Yaki'imon is a weird looking sweet potato Digimon!

So finally, my biggest issue with this set of episodes.... the casual use of epic Digimon! Tagiru caught both Dagomon and Sephirothmon!?! What does he intend to do with these hunted Digimon??? What is the point of hunting Digimon!?! This is all so.... disturbing.... All these epic Digimon are so out-of-place and character when used in Hunters. It again looks like they just consulted a wall poster of all available Digimon and said "that guy looks cool. Let's use him in a episode!" caring nothing about the lore behind that Digimon! Dagomon!!! Capture complete! (I guess...)

OTHER STUFF....
May, I know it's still a bit early, but I wanted to make sure I got this submitted to you:
I have been listening to this podcast since Adventure, and once we finish Hunters, with Jay as a Digimon newbie we need to get some final answers to pressing questions. I'm sure you're already planning on what his final quiz will be... but I had a few questions I think you should consider having Jay answer at the end of the series discussion in April.

1) What is your favorite (most tolerable) season of the Digimon anime?
2) What is the worst season of the Digimon anime?
3) Who is your favorite gogglehead?
4) Who is your favorite non-gogglehead Chosen Child?
5) Which season is your favorite group of Chosen Children?
6) What is your preferred method of relationship with a Digimon? (Partner, Tamer, Spirit Guardian, Team Member)
7) Which Digimon would you like to be your Partner?
8) If you could add 3 more Digimon to your team (including your Partner from #7 to make a team of 4), who else would you like to have?
9) After watching all the Digimon anime and reading a few of the manga, does Digmon as a franchise deserve to have a dedicated fandom??? BIG QUESTION
10) After getting through all the seasons... finally!! Can you answer the ultimate question: which is better: Digimon or Pokémon ??? (to prevent a war... you are allowed to abstain from this question if you wish...)

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to say I totally loved the themed wetsuits in Episode 73. Especially Yuu's, but I'm partial to yellow. It's funny that made May mad, as they had apparently never gone diving in their lives, but they were still able to find their own themed diving outfits. Taiki's had a great look too! I thought the idea that this episode as a stand-alone was potentially a pitch for a movie plot was brilliant. I never even thought about that, but looking back, Episode 73 could have totally been a movie for Digimon Hunters. Exotic locales and wetsuits!Episode 74 had only two highlights for me: (1) the stupid brat kid that beat Hiroya and later got his cards taken was hilarious! He went from over-confident jerk to crybaby in seconds... as he is just a little kid. I found him funny.... Also, the funniest part, as the game was going on and the room was hushed and each play brought a gasp from the crowd, Tagiru kept saying "are these cards good?" in a gasping way, while Yuu (knowing the game) tries to explain. I defer to Jay commentary on the episode and the fact there was no real game here, just point-based high cards does make this episode kind of dumb... Speaking of which, Tagiru kept saying he wanted to play, but everyone kept saying he won't be able to remember the rules... poor Tagiru... he is simple... but that's why I love him.Episode 75 was just kind of weird, but Digimon Land was kind of cute as a Disneyesque theme park for Digimon. I also loved the repeated "Digimon Land-o??" of the audio on my fan-sub. Cute. And yes, Bakomon was adorable, and the variety they made of him for this episode was interesting. I loved that grey packing tape is his weapon. This was the 5th place design from last arc's contest by Kenichi Ishii-san. The variation on Bakomon's design for other Bakomon was pretty cool. The contest winner episodes are always interesting kind of one-off episodes where the contest digimon isn't really a bad guy but is given ample time to shine as a character in his time slot. So far we got episodes featuring: Bakomon (5), Ekakimon (1), and Ganemon (4). But what happened to second place Footmon and third place SoundBirdramon (cool design, but not a -dramon IMO)??? Also, what is up with Pillomon and Yaki'imon? When was this "Recruiting Original Digimon! The Championship Prize!" thing done? I saw no bump ad on my fan-sub during Hunters.... Yaki'imon is a weird looking sweet potato Digimon!So finally, my biggest issue with this set of episodes.... the casual use of epic Digimon! Tagiru caught both Dagomon and Sephirothmon!?! What does he intend to do with these hunted Digimon??? What is the point of hunting Digimon!?! This is all so.... disturbing.... All these epic Digimon are so out-of-place and character when used in Hunters. It again looks like they just consulted a wall poster of all available Digimon and said "that guy looks cool. Let's use him in a episode!" caring nothing about the lore behind that Digimon! Dagomon!!! Capture complete! (I guess...)OTHER STUFF....May, I know it's still a bit early, but I wanted to make sure I got this submitted to you:I have been listening to this podcast since Adventure, and once we finish Hunters, with Jay as a Digimon newbie we need to get some final answers to pressing questions. I'm sure you're already planning on what his final quiz will be... but I had a few questions I think you should consider having Jay answer at the end of the series discussion in April.1) What is your favorite (most tolerable) season of the Digimon anime?2) What is the worst season of the Digimon anime?3) Who is your favorite gogglehead?4) Who is your favorite non-gogglehead Chosen Child?5) Which season is your favorite group of Chosen Children?6) What is your preferred method of relationship with a Digimon? (Partner, Tamer, Spirit Guardian, Team Member) 7) Which Digimon would you like to be your Partner?8) If you could add 3 more Digimon to your team (including your Partner from #7 to make a team of 4), who else would you like to have?9) After watching all the Digimon anime and reading a few of the manga, does Digmon as a franchise deserve to have a dedicated fandom??? BIG QUESTION10) After getting through all the seasons... finally!! Can you answer the ultimate question: which is better: Digimon or Pokémon ??? (to prevent a war... you are allowed to abstain from this question if you wish...)
Hah great minds think a like. I've had a few of those lined up as segments for our final all of Digimon show. I'll put the rest in to postmon pat for the episode.(In addition, I'll be sharing the segment guide for the last show on Patreon soon-ish since I've had it organised for a year)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But what happened to second place Footmon and third place SoundBirdramon (cool design, but not a -dramon IMO)
Your opinion would be correct. It's actually just SoundBirdmon. Though it does have bat wings, at least. I think there was some form of media, or an official web page, or something, that listed it as a member of the Bagra Army, even though it didn't appear in Xros Wars, but now I can't remember where that was.

So finally, my biggest issue with this set of episodes.... the casual use of epic Digimon! Tagiru caught both Dagomon and Sephirothmon!?! What does he intend to do with these hunted Digimon??? What is the point of hunting Digimon!?! This is all so.... disturbing.... All these epic Digimon are so out-of-place and character when used in Hunters. It again looks like they just consulted a wall poster of all available Digimon and said "that guy looks cool. Let's use him in a episode!" caring nothing about the lore behind that Digimon! Dagomon!!! Capture complete! (I guess...)
Fun fact, Dagomon is the only one of Tagiru's Digimon that doesn't appear to congratulate him in the final episode after Quartzmon's defeat. I like to think he's still evil and plotting something from within Tagiru's Xros Loader.

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really liked all of these episodes.

As stated, the guest character, environment and atmosphere of 73 were cool. Certainly would have made a great OVA.
Plus Plesiomon is one of my favourites. (You could always say Betsumon whipped up those personalized diving suits.)

74 was a funny parody of card game anime.
I'm pretty sure the simplicity/incomprehensibility of the game was an intentional joke.

I really enjoyed 75 for the Digimon Land setting.
And yeah, Bakomon was pretty adorable. Having worked in retail, I could relate to his struggle with wet salesmanship.

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Chakmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hunters 76-77-78-79

Well, congratulations are in order: first to Jay, for surviving the entire series and will never have to watch another episode of Digimon again, ever! And to May and Jay for seeing this podcast through to it's natural conclusion! I think you are the first to have ever covered EVERY season of Digimon! That deserves a tremendous kudos! And while your hook was to rewatch Digimon with a newbie and get fresh impressions, as well as compare the sub and dub, the hook for me was having a podcast that discussed the Japanese original (subbed) at all which hadn't been done, and IMO is the one worth talking about.... So, excellent job!

I mostly agree with you both on the lackluster ending. Keramon (my favorite muppet-like Digimon) was fun to see in Episode 77, and while a nod to previous seasons, I thought it worked okay to show how both worlds now overlap and Digimon were Digivolving on their own! It was a cute nod to past season baddies, and the Infermon "the worst Digimon alive" statement was classic... so bad... I liked how we learned Ryouma was like Tagiru in that he idolizes Taiki. Sadly, this character development was just too little too late. Really, we're going to learn this about Ryouma with just 2-episodes left!? Why? And his whole witnessing of Taiki's final battle with Bugramon, from a random rift in the digital space he was able to hop into and not turn into stone.... is all a bit suspect...

So many questions.... Quartzmon was born from Taiki's fight with Tactimon and Bugramon… and scattered his body to create the DigiQuartz…? He set the only one Digimon in-use per Hunter rule somehow, even though he had no control over the digivices… and the Old Man ended up being Bugramon??? Or some kind of Bugramon reincarnation....?? I'm confused. And more irritating is the Brave Snatcher (yes, horrible name.) I expected the kids to pull-up Tactimon's sword! And that didn't happen! So confused..... Did Bugramon loose that arm in Tokyo Bay? And what happened to Tactimon's sword?? I honestly don't remember, and I don't care to watch Taiki's battle again... Requiring the six heroes' energy to active the Brave Snatcher, and having Tagiru be the seventh hero to wield the weapon was... okay I guess... and Zenjirou and Akari FINALLY getting a digivice was... okay I guess.... My issue is primarily that you took such an epic idea of having all the character come together, and made it so mediocre... Honestly, the best part of the finale was Zenjirou's reactions to the Spirit Evolution and DNA Digivolutions, etc. It was cool to see Adventure Taichi next to Daisuke, being the same age; and it was cool to see Takato next to Takuya. But no one really did anything amazing. It was great that Tagiru saved the day, and everyone helped Clockmon to freeze time so Tagiru could get things done. But the ending was kind of meh, and I'm sure I'll forget what happened again... I honestly thought the Brave Snatcher was going to be Tactimon's Sword... I didn't even remember that right! What happened to the sword??? And when did Bugramon loose that claw arm in the bay??? And why did he come back as the Old Man???

The only part I kind of like was how the Brave Snatcher needed the energy of the six heroes to activate, and the slots for each one of them. Taichi, red; Daisuke, blue; Takato, orange; Takuya, pink; Masaru, yellow, and Taiki, gold. I'm okay with Tagiru being a hero, but he did use that "whoever stops here is an idiot" line only like twice... if that. So it wasn't a real Tagiru catchphrase. But whatever....

CONGRATULATIONS MAY & JAY!!

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice going guys!
Thanks for all the years of great Digimon coverage. Through all the ups and all the downs.
(Whatever comes next, I maintain hope you'll revisit it now and again, if you can mange to rope Jay back into it.)

The finale was fine for me.
There were some flashy team-ups, and a decent finale battle. I actually liked the Brave Snatcher Surfboard.
Hunters set its terms quite early on, so its not like I was expecting anything TOO special. It certainly could have been better.

Would it be possible to get another instalment of "Jay rewrites Digimon to be more competent", and get his pitch for a better version of Hunters?

Chakmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Xros Wars reflections...

I think it's really hard to talk about Digmon Xros Wars as a whole because (as Jay put it) the show never really decided what it wanted to be. Each season (arc?) basically followed its own path, emphasizing what it wanted and ignoring what it felt like. And the animation quality between Hunters and the other two made it look like a completely different show. The only common thread in the three were Taiki and Shoutmon, and possibly Bugramon if you knew the "facts" of everything from the beginning....

That said, I think I prefer the "Digimon Mysteries" monster-of-the-week aspect of Hunters overall, and would have liked that to have been the bulk of this seasons story. I'm really not that big of a fan of the whole war thing and amassing armies, nor am I a big of a fan of the DigiXros. I think all these things cheapen the lives of Digimon individually and does the franchise a disservice. I would have preferred the Savers-like story of Digimon responding to and amplifying human emotion, coming into the human world and Taigru, Yuu and Taiki solving the case. I would also have preferred a much less epic ending. I think the idea of bringing everyone together is a great one, but not for this muddled series....

Personally I liked the first arc best. I thought more effort was made in making interesting "Zones" and the baddies were more interesting. I never understand why people like the second arc so much. The "Lands" and death generals are less interesting than their first arc counterparts, but there is more action and a story resolution in the second arc.... And yes, I liked Hunters because it tried to be fun (I thought the second arc took itself too seriously...) and it was, until it tried to get serious with the plot and story. I'm good with Tagiru being a movie extra in Hong Kong... hahaha

I was sort of hoping there would be an end-of-series listener survey, but I guess our focus should be on Jay's impressions as a new viewer to Digimon. After this entire show, I think I still like Froniter the best (still my favorite group of kids despite all the problems) with Daisuke as my favorite gogglehead and Tomoki as my favorite non-gogglehead... so basically, I learned nothing.... And maybe that's the reason there is no end-of-series listener poll, because we all tend to keep liking what we like... for whatever reason....

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Last edited:

boredmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't get how zenjirou qualifies as the '' smart kid'' edit:i also don' t get how yuujin is the edgy or lonewolf either, sure the being a robot controlled by leviathan part is, but outside of these parts there's nothing edgy about his personality or appearence, it should be rei for appmon. And lastly, how is mimi the token girl, sora is just as a main as her if not more.

Last edited:

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Zenjiro knows something about mechanics and engineering, enough to tinker around and upgrade robots anyway, which is pretty smart for anybody, especially for a ten year old.

As for Yuujin, it was the closest category. I had Rei there originally, but the 'smart kid' category was lacking and he was the smartest in the team.
Sora I wanted to put in more of the caretaker and mature category and Mimi fit the 90s 'token girl' trope more.

In any case, it was just how I sorted them with my own opinions and perceptions of the characters, doesn't mean people have to agree, it's just how they were sorted. :)