[Podcast] Lost In Translationmon - Digimon Adventure: (2020) Episode 12 discussion!

springogeek

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Don't worry. Life happens.
If you are that worried about a weekly release, why not try to record an episode or two ahead, and build up a buffer?

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Don't worry. Life happens.
If you are that worried about a weekly release, why not try to record an episode or two ahead, and build up a buffer?
We could do that but usually we're fine. It's just between my birthday and his exams this weekend isn't great.

sugarplumfairy

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another great episode :)
I thought it was interesting that you didn't think there was a lot of changes in these episodes, especially since the whole "Angemon death" scene is so often used as the go-to example to show the differences between the two versions ("Don't worry, I'll get him!" vs. "Goodbye, Takeru", for example).

Your podcast is really interesting. I hope you keep going!

Kanijo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really great episode.

For the "Why didn't Devimon just use more black gears to power up?". In the Japanese version it was kind of hinted that using too much evil energy would just kill him. Devimon was reluctant at first to fight them all himself, not only because the Chosen Children could kill him, but also the method he has to power up could also lead to his death. Devimon also knew that if Angemon used too much holy power, Angemon would end up killing himself, so more than likely the same for Devimon and Leomon with evil energy.

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the comments Kanijo and sugarplumfairy! We'll read them out when we record because honestly I missed the 'Goodbye Takeru' difference because I was half asleep and we never though about the too much evil killing him thing.

jeffinitelyjeff

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
(I really liked Hunters too. Now I think about it...it might actually be my favourite season. It's better than Adventure imo.)

WAIT, WHATTT???? Sorry, unsubscribed, deleted, unfollowed, wiped from memory, goodbye.

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
(I really liked Hunters too. Now I think about it...it might actually be my favourite season. It's better than Adventure imo.)

WAIT, WHATTT???? Sorry, unsubscribed, deleted, unfollowed, wiped from memory, goodbye.
Noooooooo, you're breaking my heart.
I think Tamers was better but idk I have a soft spot for Hunters cuz it was cute and I had low expectations for it.

Chakmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hahahaha.... Hunters was good. Tagiru is awesome! End of story! :cool:

May, the "I will show you DigiWorld" part of your podcast is hilarious (especially when you sing it) and while I don't really have any new ideas to expose Jay to different Digimon stuff, it would be cool if he kept raising his V-pet throughout the podcast season and we could be updated on his progress.... Though judging from his general lack of interest in the toy, I have a feeling his Digimon would probably be taken into DigiCustody by the State at some point for negligent parenting.... HA! As far as their value, I never really had a Digimon V-pet but I did keep a Tamagotchi. I think what was cool about them was the unpredictability of how they would grow and the variability your input/care could create. The interface is VERY limited though, especially by today's standards, so I could see how Jay would get bored with it. It also doubled as a keychain and clock! Still no takers???

You guys had asked the question previously about why Taichi always has gloves on, I had heard on a previous podcast (I think the Digimon Rewatch) that the technique to glove the hero is often used to keep the animation budget down and speed up the animation process because an actual hand would require more detailed rendering. Not sure if that's true or not, but I guess main characters often have gloves on, and they would be the ones most drawn... Personally, I just think it adds to the sporty look of Taichi. To be honest, I never even realized how many characters are gloved in general in shounen anime until recently.... I never really paid attention...

May, your mention of Betsumon in the last podcast was hilarious! Now he is a weird-looking Digimon! DigiXros! Keep up the great work guys, I will be listing to the most recent podcast in the coming days. Thanks for the show!

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think I could convince Jay to look after a vpet any longer than I did.

Yeah hands are the reason why I can't draw to be honest. :p

Yeah Betsumon is such a silly looking Digimon and Jay was so amazed by it.

Thanks! I hope you enjoy the new episode. :)

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episode 9 - Conveniently Placed Plot Objects
May and Jay watch episodes 16 and 17 where they discuss how conveniently everything is placed in the Digital World, chickens who dress up as men (ba-kawk), and cheesing video games with a vee-headbutt.

Last edited:

Chakmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Great show guys! I feel the same way about the music and sound effects in the English Version. The Japanese put so much effort into it! Openings, closings, and in-episode songs, all professionally done. It's my understanding that it's generally a music licensing issue that prevents the Japanese soundtrack from making it Stateside, but I wonder if it's more just a cost issue or if it really is a legislative one? The music in the English Versions aren't awful, but the Japanese is definitely WAY better by comparison. Most of the sound effects in the English Version are cartoon-y stock sounds that were added at little-to-no cost for Saban (our importer/localizer). Sadly, the tradition continues there with Digimon Fusion today. When Shoutmon almost falls off a cliff, and they use that cheesy Loony Tunes sound effect, I had to roll my eyes... Although, if the music is really retained in the Philippino version, may Jay is right about some kind of "outside Asia" rules for Japanese music copyright.... No idea. The Philippino version sounds interesting.... I'm anxious to hear your opinions on "Keep On" as the Japanese closing credit song when we get to it. I think Episode 27 is when that one starts. It's my favorite Digimon song/animation.

I also totaly agree about Tai's characterization versus Taichi in the original. In the English, Tai is just sort of being a brat, force feeding Agumon because he wants to see his next evolution and so they could get stronger faster. Taichi, on the other hand, was doing it more out of concern that he and Agumon were the only ones who found their crests, so it was up to them to protect everyone. In keeping the food for Agumon, what the original painted as just a bad leadership decisions from an inexperienced kid, was played-off more as Tai just being a brat and chasing strength. The crest elements in the English significantly lack the subtle depth woven into the character interactions and personalities that make the crests understandable as a story device. Taichi's bravery is about overcoming self-doubt, a story that's hard to tell, when English Tai is often just a callous brat seeking power/strength. Very different brands of "bravery".

Jay is definitely suffering through the filler, a lot of these episodes are kind of pointless, just to debut the new digivolution. And having to watch them twice in-a-row is definitely tough! I've been trying to do that with Xros Wars/Fusion as it airs here in the U.S. I'm glad that your podcast has inspired a listener to give the dub a try! If we only get one person to try it, this podcast is an official success! Outside of nostalgia, I really can't come up with any way of saying the English Version is even as-good-as, let along better than the original. And for me, the nostalgia-factor only extends to Digimon Adventure, all other seasons I watched the original subbed (streaming online) first, so I'm more familiar with Takato, Takuya, Masaru, Taiki and Tagiru in Japanese, than I am in their English localized versions. Hang-in-there Jay! It get.... better....?? Yeah! Digimon is awesome!

May, I totally love your fanship! Every time Jay tries to be rational with Digimon, your reason is "because it's cool" or something like that... Right on! As far as a soccer pitch or pirate ships being in the DigiWorld, my impression has always been that the RealWorld (human world?) has left imprints in the DigiWorld as we dump out world online in forms of like Wikipedia today. So the Digimon get these human-world things added to their landscape that they don't really understand or know what to do with (consider the pyramid coming up). Just like we have digital things in our world, like computers, cables, giant tvs, etc. because our worlds are now connected, some of our things appear there. Like with all the street signs randomly placed around the forest in the beginning. Maybe that's digital data from a state's drivers' manual or drivers' test study book that had been computerized.

sugarplumfairy

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's my understanding that it's generally a music licensing issue that prevents the Japanese soundtrack from making it Stateside, but I wonder if it's more just a cost issue or if it really is a legislative one?
I really doubt that it's either. All the other international versions keep the original soundtrack, probably because it's much more expensive to replace it with a new one. The music is included in "the package", so to speak. if anything, Saban invested more money into localizing Digimon than anybody else, because they also had to hire new screenwriters, editors, composers, singers, etc.

I think the reason why they cut the soundtrack is because of the cuts / edits they did to the show. Even if it's just a matter of seconds, it would mess up sound/image synchronisation beyond repair. I imagine thay they weren't too keen on keeping Japanese language songs, either. So they got rid of the audio/sound effects track in addition to the dialogue track.

Chakmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It makes me sad to think more money is being spent on creating an inferior product.... Guess that's just the sad lament of any Shounen series coming stateside and being marketed to a mass audience... YuGiOh anyone?

Airdramon

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh I love 'Keep On'. I prefer it to 'I Wish'. I think Jay skips the openings and ending though.. I think Keep On comes in just before we actually know who the 8th child is because it shows the 8th child in it......

I think having the dubbers change the show so much sort of makes it unique. Like it has its own music and stuff. The soundtrack really isn't that bad but that might be because it gives me nostalgia.

Chakmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Suggestion for "I will show you DigiWorld..." with May and Jay:

May, you should play a round of the original Dig-Battle Card Game with Jay. That would be pretty cool!
Also, there's a iPhone app game in the U.S. called Digimon Fusion Fighters. It's not for Digimon Adventure, but for the new series, but it's a pretty simple and cute app game. I like how it kind of makes your phone your Digivice.