People hate Tri?

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not sure I quite agree that it's Part 5 that it becomes a problem. Perhaps story-wise, yes. But I still think the problem starts in Part 3. I was partly saying her cohesion is a problem as a viewer watching a new story. We've been with the original kids from the beginning. We know their struggles and their tribulations, having watched it in 'real time' so to speak. Even if the Japanese version narrated as though someone were telling us a story about the past. But we only see her struggles in flashback; only see her integrate when things are fine and dandy. Push comes to shove and she immediately falls apart. From there, she was never quite able to get back to where she had been with the group.

During the climax of Loss, the original kids go off to fight Machinedramon and MetalSeadramon, leaving Meiko alone on the boat. It felt like they almost forgot about her. It's something that's a bit of a recurring theme. Whenever serious issues or talks occur, Meiko is rarely there. It's a clear separation and telling us she isn't actually part of the group in spirit or practice, but name only. She's never once fought with the group as a full team. She's always been an outsider, denying everyone's attempts to gently prod her into thinking differently to the point where we have the exact same conversation multiple times because she just doesn't get it the first time. Probably realistic, but not interesting to watch.

It gives the impression that Meiko was the wrong choice for taking care of such a volatile and dangerously unstable digimon. While that's addressed in the series, and Meiko herself acknowledges her fears of this, she doesn't act on it until the end of the 5th movie when she finally makes the ultimatum to destroy Meicoomon. You could boil down a lot of the issues of the movies to Meiko being a bad or underqualified partner. She comes off as mopey and someone who gives up at the first sign of trouble. She's someone who needs her hand being held through the plot, not someone who tries to push forward as an active protagonist should. That's a bit of a no-no in storytelling to have a weak protagonist who needs to be guided by the hand through the plot or else nothing would get done. I think it would have been better if we were able to see Meiko and Meicoomon participate in Chosen activities that aren't onsen or festivals and then see her fall behind when her attempts at righting the situation fails. At least she'd have tried and her cohesion into the group through the fun activities would have paid off.
I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, as I felt very similar things when watching the movies. I just think that Part 3's alienation was well-handled story wise. Despite the circumstances that inevitably make her an outsider by default, she still had varied relationships/dynamics and scenes with the other kids. And the scene in Part 4 where she walks up to Meicoomon and hugs her even through the on-coming assault, felt like that was the moment Meiko was becoming active and taking charge. Of course it wasn't; the follow-through betrays that, but I didn't have any strong issues with Meiko until Part 5, where her 'otherness' becomes incredibly overt.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not sure I quite agree that it's Part 5 that it becomes a problem. Perhaps story-wise, yes. But I still think the problem starts in Part 3. I was partly saying her cohesion is a problem as a viewer watching a new story. We've been with the original kids from the beginning. We know their struggles and their tribulations, having watched it in 'real time' so to speak. Even if the Japanese version narrated as though someone were telling us a story about the past. But we only see her struggles in flashback; only see her integrate when things are fine and dandy. Push comes to shove and she immediately falls apart. From there, she was never quite able to get back to where she had been with the group.

During the climax of Loss, the original kids go off to fight Machinedramon and MetalSeadramon, leaving Meiko alone on the boat. It felt like they almost forgot about her. It's something that's a bit of a recurring theme. Whenever serious issues or talks occur, Meiko is rarely there. It's a clear separation and telling us she isn't actually part of the group in spirit or practice, but name only. She's never once fought with the group as a full team. She's always been an outsider, denying everyone's attempts to gently prod her into thinking differently to the point where we have the exact same conversation multiple times because she just doesn't get it the first time. Probably realistic, but not interesting to watch.

It gives the impression that Meiko was the wrong choice for taking care of such a volatile and dangerously unstable digimon. While that's addressed in the series, and Meiko herself acknowledges her fears of this, she doesn't act on it until the end of the 5th movie when she finally makes the ultimatum to destroy Meicoomon. You could boil down a lot of the issues of the movies to Meiko being a bad or underqualified partner. She comes off as mopey and someone who gives up at the first sign of trouble. She's someone who needs her hand being held through the plot, not someone who tries to push forward as an active protagonist should. That's a bit of a no-no in storytelling to have a weak protagonist who needs to be guided by the hand through the plot or else nothing would get done. I think it would have been better if we were able to see Meiko and Meicoomon participate in Chosen activities that aren't onsen or festivals and then see her fall behind when her attempts at righting the situation fails. At least she'd have tried and her cohesion into the group through the fun activities would have paid off.
I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, as I felt very similar things when watching the movies. I just think that Part 3's alienation was well-handled story wise. Despite the circumstances that inevitably make her an outsider by default, she still had varied relationships/dynamics and scenes with the other kids. And the scene in Part 4 where she walks up to Meicoomon and hugs her even through the on-coming assault, felt like that was the moment Meiko was becoming active and taking charge. Of course it wasn't; the follow-through betrays that, but I didn't have any strong issues with Meiko until Part 5, where her 'otherness' becomes incredibly overt.
There's also her few fits and starts where Meiko actually does try something and goes running after Meicrackmon, but gets held back by one of the other Chosen, which would almost be a criticism of reckless behavior if Taichi, Yamato, Jyou, and Sora were not plentifully rewarded for similarly reckless behavior in different circumstances. Not only is it vaguely hypocritical, Meiko is effectively being denied the ability to participate in her own character arc, by having the matter taken out of her hands.

twilightguardian

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's also her few fits and starts where Meiko actually does try something and goes running after Meicrackmon, but gets held back by one of the other Chosen, which would almost be a criticism of reckless behavior if Taichi, Yamato, Jyou, and Sora were not plentifully rewarded for similarly reckless behavior in different circumstances. Not only is it vaguely hypocritical, Meiko is effectively being denied the ability to participate in her own character arc, by having the matter taken out of her hands.
I would somewhat agree, but whenever I watched it seemed like Meiko stalled on doing anything until it was the most dangerous time to do so. The more experienced Chosen who even after years of not being active still would likely have an instinct for danger and stopped her. It was a different situation when all of the kids were in the same boat together and nearly all of them at some point in time took unnecessary risks. Even if she was trying to, her inexperience in battle would lead to poor timing on her part and gotten her killed. Then absolutely no one would be left to calm the rampaging digimon down. Still, I think it's evident from Part 4 being as long and tedious as it was because of Meiko's refusal to act. Meicoomon was upset that Meiko didn't come, and it felt like unnecessary drama that could have easily been avoided whereas the affliction Meicoomon has is something that can't be helped. Meiko's choices exacerbated the problems.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tri was simply a terrible execution, and yes the release format only made it worse. There was a considerable lack of substance where everything seemed to happen "just because" and hardly made any impact in the end.
For example I really didn't mind that Meiko and Meicoomon had "issues". It bothered me that it made for two main characters that were there mainly to feel numb, cry or hide at crucial moments. That is just bad story telling, it is not a matter of liking or disliking the characters per se. If the issue was to make it difficult for the digidestined to decide to kill Meicoomon, Meiko only needed to feature in a single scene to establish the fact that someone would be hurt if Meicoomon died. If the issue was to make it difficult for the digidestined to decide to kill Ordinemon, Tailmon being part of it was enough to make it a challenge. Meiko being distant and enigmatic would have helped much more if she was someone who tried to stay away from the digidestined as she would feel mysterious and secretive and make for some interesting dynamic scenes. There were so many ways to keep the characters while making more out of the movies than giving so much screen time to stills of agonizing faces and desperate screaming.

There was this sensationalist approach to everything where we were told that some things were serious and it was not shown to us.
"Oh, no, the digimon will lose their memories!" The digimon proceed to have their most in-character moments in the entirety of Tri after said memory loss. Then the memory loss is being reversed with the press of a button when it didn't even need to happen at all since the digimon were the exact same characters anyway. No impact in the main story.
"Fake Gennai is crazy!" Because he licks people's faces and laughs maniacally. Other villains have been more disturbing and dangerous without making such stupid shit. No impact in the main story.
"Alphamon is a powerful mysterious opponent!" That we never even explore as a character in the end and is not even there for the finale. Any other anonymous monster could've posed as much of a challenge as he did. No impact in the main story.
"Taichi's goggles are upgraded with a new technology!" The technology allowed the characters to notice disasters that were noticeable with the naked eye anyway. No impact in the main story.
"Maki is secretly a villain!" Once we found out, we didn't even hear from her ever again. No aftermath or confrontation. The 'evil' things she was involved with could have still happened without her contribution. No impact in the main story.
"(A) Leomon is back!" Dies before even establishing any considerable bonds with the cast or showing much character at all, and we are supposed to be devastated by it. His presence was never required in the first place. No impact in the main story.
"Wizardmon appears!" To serve no purpose whatsoever.
And the list goes on and on with pretty much everything that Tri contained.
While such elements that are more "decorative" than substantial were also present in the original two series too, they didn't make the main bulk of those series, which is why people think fondly of them.
Where the development of the main characters was central in shaping the story arcs in the original series, in Tri it was barely there reduced to few moments for all characters except for Taichi, Meiko and Sora who ironically had the worst development/stories. Hikari had none.

I'd like to have a poll about whether we like Tri or not in this thread if possible. I was happy to have it, and I prefer what we got to not having anything at all. It was nice to see the creature designs with the new art direction, to have the ultimates, new evolution sequences etc, but I definitely didn't like the storytelling, the dialogues etc.

Last edited:

Solomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tri was simply a terrible execution, and yes the release format only made it worse. There was a considerable lack of substance where everything seemed to happen "just because" and hardly made any impact in the end.
For example I really didn't mind that Meiko and Meicoomon had "issues". It bothered me that it made for two main characters that were there mainly to feel numb, cry or hide at crucial moments. That is just bad story telling, it is not a matter of liking or disliking the characters per se. If the issue was to make it difficult for the digidestined to decide to kill Meicoomon, Meiko only needed to feature in a single scene to establish the fact that someone would be hurt if Meicoomon died. If the issue was to make it difficult for the digidestined to decide to kill Ordinemon, Tailmon being part of it was enough to make it a challenge. Meiko being distant and enigmatic would have helped much more if she was someone who tried to stay away from the digidestined as she would feel mysterious and secretive and make for some interesting dynamic scenes. There were so many ways to keep the characters while making more out of the movies than giving so much screen time to stills of agonizing faces and desperate screaming.

There was this sensationalist approach to everything where we were told that some things were serious and it was not shown to us.
"Oh, no, the digimon will lose their memories!" The digimon proceed to have their most in-character moments in the entirety of Tri after said memory loss. Then the memory loss is being reversed with the press of a button when it didn't even need to happen at all since the digimon were the exact same characters anyway. No impact in the main story.
"Fake Gennai is crazy!" Because he licks people's faces and laughs maniacally. Other villains have been more disturbing and dangerous without making such stupid shit. No impact in the main story.
"Alphamon is a powerful mysterious opponent!" That we never even explore as a character in the end and is not even there for the finale. Any other anonymous monster could've posed as much of a challenge as he did. No impact in the main story.
"Taichi's goggles are upgraded with a new technology!" The technology allowed the characters to notice disasters that were noticeable with the naked eye anyway. No impact in the main story.
"Maki is secretly a villain!" Once we found out, we didn't even hear from her ever again. No aftermath or confrontation. The 'evil' things she was involved with could have still happened without her contribution. No impact in the main story.
"(A) Leomon is back!" Dies before even establishing any considerable bonds with the cast or showing much character at all, and we are supposed to be devastated by it. His presence was never required in the first place. No impact in the main story.
While such elements that are more "decorative" than substantial were also present in the original two series too, they didn't make the main bulk of those series, which is why people think fondly of them.
Where the development of the main characters was central in shaping the story arcs in the original series, in Tri it was barely there reduced to few moments for all characters except for Taichi, Meiko and Sora who ironically had the worst development/stories. Hikari had none.

I'd like to have a poll about whether we like Tri or not in this thread if possible. I was happy to have it, and I prefer what we got to not having anything at all. It was nice to see the creature designs with the new art direction, to have the ultimates, new evolution sequences etc, but I definitely didn't like the storytelling, the dialogues etc.
That's the best speech I've ever heard in this forum so far, without any intentional hint of sarcasm. On top of that, if all the stuff they've left unanswered or even barely done much about are meant to be for a "sequel", then it'd most likely give way to more dragging exposition that could've easily been shown to us instead of being told to us.

So while I understand if people, especially other fans who've grown up with this longer than I, like and even enjoy this recent addition to the franchise, story and lore, I must ask this simple question or two, How can Tri stand on its own as a mere hexalogy or OVAs, and more importantly, what was even the point and motivation of it? Definitely not for pure fan service, or to tell a simple story and narrative that flows naturally from beginning to end with twists and turns that are legitimately surprising and even thought-provoking. It falls to average both ways.

Sure, it was to make franchise popular and relevant again. But then again, the live-action Bayformers films may've made the Transformers franchise big and popular again, and the recent Star Wars sequel trilogy & anthology films made the Star Wars franchise popular again, but it's not enough to make them good, nor does it.

Sorry if I'm sounding like I'm ranting now, but it's how I see things. If any of you people enjoy this series for what it is, it's your opinion, more power to you.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would somewhat agree, but whenever I watched it seemed like Meiko stalled on doing anything until it was the most dangerous time to do so. The more experienced Chosen who even after years of not being active still would likely have an instinct for danger and stopped her. It was a different situation when all of the kids were in the same boat together and nearly all of them at some point in time took unnecessary risks. Even if she was trying to, her inexperience in battle would lead to poor timing on her part and gotten her killed. Then absolutely no one would be left to calm the rampaging digimon down. Still, I think it's evident from Part 4 being as long and tedious as it was because of Meiko's refusal to act. Meicoomon was upset that Meiko didn't come, and it felt like unnecessary drama that could have easily been avoided whereas the affliction Meicoomon has is something that can't be helped. Meiko's choices exacerbated the problems.
I don't think we really disagree. It's a structural thing. A character arc is a series of actions and decisions taken by a character trying to solve his own problem, but Meiko doesn't actually take action or make decisions for very long stretches of time, and when she does, she's almost always immediately overridden (with a pointed exception at the end of the fifth movie that unfortunately doesn't go anywhere in the sixth). Her character arc boils down to six movies of feeling bad, which... isn't an arc.

SharpeBB

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree that there was some sensationalizing of certain things, but I wouldn't say they had no impact on the main story, rather they were smaller in scale:
They needed a villain with an actual face & personality, so they decided to make Dark Gennai crazy, which stood out compared to Yggdrasil, Alphamon, and Homeostasis. Stuff like the fact lick was (imo) over analyzed by fans, but having a voice of evil does give someone/thing specific to go up against.
Taichi's goggles never really had a purpose before, and he did use the upgraded tech once or twice. But they just needed a way to find the energy surges and they found one. Was it a huge deal in the end? No. But it did still serve a small purpose.
Leomon fulfilling his sacrificial duty, works well enough because it was the first instance of seeing Meicoomon snap and what power she possessed. Admittedly, they could have used anyone to show this, and Leomon didn't have a lot of development in Tri, but he was only ever meant to have one purpose in Tri.
In terms of Maki, I think her long term result will play out more in what's to come. In terms of Tri, she was certainly a bit of an abandoned thread, but if you think about it, her change of sides did have an impact. She was the source of a lot of information and support, even if it was just a trick. Once the DigiDestined lost contact with Maki, they had to figure out a lot more on their own. Is that a big deal in the grand scheme of things? No. But it did have an effect.
Like I said, I agree with the idea that there was sensationalizing. But there is a difference between something having no impact and something that happened but could have happened a different way with similar results.
While not quite the same, the 'Are you glad Tri' thread does at least show I think that most people have a few things they like about tri.

So while I understand if people, especially other fans who've grown up with this longer than I, like and even enjoy this recent addition to the franchise, story and lore, I must ask this simple question or two, How can Tri stand on its own as a mere hexalogy or OVAs, and more importantly, what was even the point and motivation of it? Definitely not for pure fan service, or to tell a simple story and narrative that flows naturally from beginning to end with twists and turns that are legitimately surprising and even thought-provoking. It falls to average both ways.

Sure, it was to make franchise popular and relevant again. But then again, the live-action Bayformers films may've made the Transformers franchise big and popular again, and the recent Star Wars sequel trilogy & anthology films made the Star Wars franchise popular again, but it's not enough to make them good, nor does it.
The short answer to your first part is it can't stand on it's own, and I don't think it was every really meant to. It was always clearly marketed as a continuation of Taichi and the gang's story. And the simple fact that they never took the time to sit down and say 'Hey, this is what a Digimon is', really proves that. It was written with the assumption that if you were coming to watch Tri, you would have some idea of the Digimon universe. And sometimes you have to do that, and make that choice. Look at Avengers Infinity War. It would be hard to follow along if you had absolutely no idea what was going on.

The second part of your question, what was the motivation? The answer is simple. Money. At the end of the day, everything is a business decision. If it costs the same amount of money to create something entirely from scratch, as it would to create a sequel to something that already has a fan base and you know will have an audience, it's an easy choice. If you can try to keep fans happy and make extra money, of course a company is going to do that. It's cynical, but that's the bottom line. They know they won't be able to please everyone, but they'll please some people, and make some cash along the way.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The short answer to your first part is it can't stand on it's own, and I don't think it was every really meant to. It was always clearly marketed as a continuation of Taichi and the gang's story. And the simple fact that they never took the time to sit down and say 'Hey, this is what a Digimon is', really proves that. It was written with the assumption that if you were coming to watch Tri, you would have some idea of the Digimon universe. And sometimes you have to do that, and make that choice. Look at Avengers Infinity War. It would be hard to follow along if you had absolutely no idea what was going on.

The second part of your question, what was the motivation? The answer is simple. Money. At the end of the day, everything is a business decision. If it costs the same amount of money to create something entirely from scratch, as it would to create a sequel to something that already has a fan base and you know will have an audience, it's an easy choice. If you can try to keep fans happy and make extra money, of course a company is going to do that. It's cynical, but that's the bottom line. They know they won't be able to please everyone, but they'll please some people, and make some cash along the way.
I cannot speak for Solomon, but I interpreted what he said as him having an issue with the fact that the story is not self contained or cohesive. It is open-ended and with several subjects abandoned in places, terrible pacing etc etc. I don't think he has an issue with it being a sequel or for taking several things for granted.

While not quite the same, the 'Are you glad Tri' thread does at least show I think that most people have a few things they like about tri.
Well, I didn't like almost anything about Tri, and yet I voted positively in that poll, because I really think it was better that we got it, even if it was kinda shit in my opinion. Others did the same, as mentioned in the comments of that thread.
It's certainly not a poll reflective of what amount of forum members think the series was good or bad overall.

They needed a villain with an actual face & personality, so they decided to make Dark Gennai crazy, which stood out compared to Yggdrasil, Alphamon, and Homeostasis. Stuff like the fact lick was (imo) over analyzed by fans, but having a voice of evil does give someone/thing specific to go up against.
Taichi's goggles never really had a purpose before, and he did use the upgraded tech once or twice. But they just needed a way to find the energy surges and they found one. Was it a huge deal in the end? No. But it did still serve a small purpose.
Leomon fulfilling his sacrificial duty, works well enough because it was the first instance of seeing Meicoomon snap and what power she possessed. Admittedly, they could have used anyone to show this, and Leomon didn't have a lot of development in Tri, but he was only ever meant to have one purpose in Tri.
In terms of Maki, I think her long term result will play out more in what's to come. In terms of Tri, she was certainly a bit of an abandoned thread, but if you think about it, her change of sides did have an impact. She was the source of a lot of information and support, even if it was just a trick. Once the DigiDestined lost contact with Maki, they had to figure out a lot more on their own. Is that a big deal in the grand scheme of things? No. But it did have an effect.
I just think Dark Gennai's "craziness" made no difference for what his character contributed to the story. Which is why I call it sensationalist. I don't have an issue with him actually being in the films.
I think Taichi's tech didn't serve any purpose not because he didn't use it, but because whenever he used it, it was seconds after the distortions were perceptible with the naked eye. Whether he used it or not made no difference about how they found out about the distortions or how fast they reacted to them.
What you describe about Leomon is exactly why I think his inclusion is sensationalist in nature. Meicoomon didn't even need to kill anyone. Snapping and attacking the digidestined and their partners would be as much of a shock.
As for Maki, as an agent, she wouldn't have ways to provide for the kids after the crisis that made her abandon them anyway. It was uncharted waters from then on. If anyone had information and help to provide regarding the events that followed, it was Hackmon and Homeostasis, which is what they did in the end.

Last edited:

DBxDigimon_fan

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How can Tri stand on its own as a mere hexalogy or OVAs
I don't think its meant to. To watch and keep up with Tri requires knowledge of the previous series'. It helps also to have seen the Japanese version of Digimon Adventure too since even Tri's dub is more based on the original Japanese Digimon Adventure than it is on Adventure's own original dub. But yeah, I don't think it was made for people new to Digimon at all, I really do think it was made for old Digimon fans who have either watched since the beginning or watched Adventure and haven't watched a whole lot since it ended. i say that in the latter part just from personal experience because I and my siblings and friends haven't watched much if any Digimon since 02's end or Tamers but we all watched Tri to see what it was about.

what was even the point and motivation of it? Definitely not for pure fan service, or to tell a simple story and narrative that flows naturally from beginning to end with twists and turns that are legitimately surprising and even thought-provoking. It falls to average both ways.
Its just there to be awesome imo. We all knew the ending already. So when Taichi goes missing, we already know he makes it. We all knew they were gonna win in the end, it was just a matter of how.

I can't speak for what anyone else expected out of it when it was announced, but I've seen some pretty... ambitious expectations before and during Tri's run. But that's just fanbase nature lol
I really loved Tri, liked it better than season 1 overall actually. Awesome battles / fights, a lot of suspense, mystery, surprises, and above all cool digimon including but not limited to finally seeing the remaining 4 reach Ultimate. I understand perfectly if you didn't like it very much. We all have our tastes in what we watch. Cheers

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Couldn't agree more, I guess it's the best way to elaborate my dislikes to Tri. Honestly I'm glad it exists so digimon can be popular again, don't get me wrong, but it betrays most of people who enjoyed the story and characters' relevance of Adventure series / universe. It was only made to glorify the Adventure series as a product to give profits for the company, but having no real efforts in making good continuation of such a good storytelling. I mean, if I can ask, why should I care of Tri and watch it as a digimon fan who enjoys the storytelling of Adv and 02? Just because it's the characters everyone loved? Just bcos you're able to see the chosen children meet their digimon again? (yet 02 chara didn't exist in Tri, lol) I wonder how someone would say if he/she recommends a digimon fan to watch Tri.

oh yeah, anyone remembered how they explained the Demiurge concept in the intro of first part? I guess it eventually came with no conclusion of such theme and no relation to the whole movie.

Last edited:

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just think Dark Gennai's "craziness" made no difference for what his character contributed to the story. Which is why I call it sensationalist. I don't have an issue with him actually being in the films.
Dark Gennai is a weird case; his existence is absolutely superfluous, only there to generate literally false drama and save the creative staff from having to deal with the herculean task of giving Alphamon a personality. (At least Hackmon got actual lines).

To be fair, Sharpe, it was basically impossible for us to tell what should and shouldn't have been analyzed going into it, given how many data points kept us waiting for them to ascend to the level of "confirmed fact".

oh yeah, anyone remembered how they explained the Demiurge concept in the intro of first part? I guess it eventually came with no conclusion of such theme and no relation to the whole movie.
You mean the pretentious gobbledegook?
No. Nothing came of it. The visuals are just MaiCoomon getting infected by Apocalymon's leftovers.

SharpeBB

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I cannot speak for Solomon, but I interpreted what he said as him having an issue with the fact that the story is not self contained or cohesive. It is open-ended and with several subjects abandoned in places, terrible pacing etc etc. I don't think he has an issue with it being a sequel or for taking several things for granted.
I think that's what he meant too, I'm just saying that I don't think there was ever a plan for it to be a self contained story. It certainly was not a self contained sequel, and I think that once the decision was made that there would be more story to tell, the creators had no problem leaving some issues open ended. I'm not saying that's a good thing, just what I think the decision was.

Well, I didn't like almost anything about Tri, and yet I voted positively in that poll, because I really think it was better that we got it, even if it was kinda shit in my opinion. Others did the same, as mentioned in the comments of that thread.
It's certainly not a poll reflective of what amount of forum members think the series was good or bad overall.
Oh I definitely agree that the poll doesn't necessarily mean "do you like Tri", as it asked a different question. I was trying to point out that I don't think people would say they're glad Tri exists, but they still hate it.

I think Taichi's tech didn't serve any purpose not because he didn't use it, but because whenever he used it, it was seconds after the distortions were perceptible with the naked eye. Whether he used it or not made no difference about how they found out about the distortions or how fast they reacted to them.
What you describe about Leomon is exactly why I think his inclusion is sensationalist in nature. Meicoomon didn't even need to kill anyone. Snapping and attacking the digidestined and their partners would be as much of a shock.
As for Maki, as an agent, she wouldn't have ways to provide for the kids after the crisis that made her abandon them anyway. It was uncharted waters from then on. If anyone had information and help to provide regarding the events that followed, it was Hackmon and Homeostasis, which is what they did in the end.
Again, I'm not disagreeing about the sensationalising aspects that did exist. Just that the impacts on the story were small and/or could have been done in a different way.
Dark Gennai is a weird case; his existence is absolutely superfluous, only there to generate literally false drama and save the creative staff from having to deal with the herculean task of giving Alphamon a personality. (At least Hackmon got actual lines).

To be fair, Sharpe, it was basically impossible for us to tell what should and shouldn't have been analyzed going into it, given how many data points kept us waiting for them to ascend to the level of "confirmed fact".
For most of Tri, I agree that Dark Gennai was superfluous, and as I said before he was just the bad guy with a voice, and that could have been given to anyone. But I think he became less superfluous at the end, where it now seems like he has his own agenda. That doesn't inherently make up for everything, but it does change the narrative.
On the whole, I agree that there were numerous times we didn't know what was important and what wsan't. I'm just saying there were small things, like
the lick
, that a lot of people made a big deal about but really weren't that big of an issue on the story. I mean let's be honest, there's nothing to analyse about that.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You mean the pretentious gobbledegook?
No. Nothing came of it. The visuals are just MaiCoomon getting infected by Apocalymon's leftovers.
hahaha, so they tried too hard to be soo deep, explaining an interesting concept of philosophy but did nothing to the whole movie in the end. Great job at wasting airing time of the first part. My applause for TOEI

TheMatrix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To me, Tri is very much the Digimon equivalent to the recent Star Wars trilogy & spin-offs; decent ideas and concepts and even a few good highlights, overall messy execution and wasted potential.
I have to disagree. Sure tri kinda shoves the season 02 to the side but no were close to how the Force Awakens ignored the Star Wars prequel era. Also while good Digimons turning evil is nothing new the plot was still waaay more original than the mainline Disney Star Wars films.

I actually find 02 to be more similar to Disney Star Wars with them bringing one of their more popular villain back at the last minute to tie everything up and making the supposed main new bad guy into nothing more than a toll of an old bad guy that already died.

By the way does anybody know if tri stands for anything particular?

KH1999

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
mmm for me tri its me least favorite digimon anime but, thanks to the hype for tri digimon back to the west (or at least that what i think)