Pendulum Z Folder Continent Report #8- Wind Guardians

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Except Susanoomon is for sure one of the two hidden Super Ultimates in every evolution chart.
Again, no reason to hide it. It's not exactly a hidden or obscure Digimon, and it's definitely not new. Maybe a new Ancient counterpart to Susanoomon, but very likely not Susanoomon itself.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, yeah, duh. It's a slightly modified Gokimon.
Level of detail is too high for Perfect and the form is too similar in basic body structure to a withered Tropiamon to be a coincidence, especially since the cockroach was in the set but in a completely different toy.

Gusokumon and Entomon are really too good for Perfect levels... Gusokumon's body is way more detailed than GranKuwagamon and Entomon is wooden skeleton version of SkullBaluchimon in my view but gotten tons of decaying wood detailed artwork Eh at least I got a new favorite evo line.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My disappointment is in them blowing the chance to introduce more plant Vaccines and bird Viruses (for that matter, there wasn't a single new Ultimate introduced, outside of possibly the hidden ones). At least they managed to use what little of those they have in the forms of Xuanwumon, Onismon, and Zhuqiaomon (even though the latter seems way too much like a potential fire elemental, akin to Birdramon, Garudamon, and Hououmon).

On another note, Parasaurmon feels a lot like V-dramon. On its own, it probably has no business being in the Wind Guardians, but it evolves into a winged Perfect form (though in this case, it also gains plant attributes on top of that).

CloneWarrior

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Weird that the site's automatic English translation swaps Zhuqiaomon and Ebonwumon's names like some of the old English media did.

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Weird that the site's automatic English translation swaps Zhuqiaomon and Ebonwumon's names like some of the old English media did.

It was probably entered manually by Bandai Japan. And you said "old english media did it", but Cyber Sleuth, Hacker's Memory, and Next Order did it as well so it still happening even in 2020 as we can see here. Every name on this list including AicentTroymon and HippoGryphonmon are from the recent medal/card lists from the recent video games which includes the Holy Beast names being swapped around. (At least the Rearise dub with them playable didnt end up making that error)

Also, that actually happened in Japanese a few times as well, the Japanese just stopped doing it.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated with Nidhoggmon in Nature Spirits.

Sparrow Hawk

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait a min? In Nature Spirits? Eeeh? What the Hades?

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not putting up the full image this time since it's in a previous one, but did put up the portion with Nidhoggmon. Their custom overwrite for names also doesn't appear to be working for him at the moment, still showing the Japanese text.

This actually happened with the Eyesmon as well. When they added it to the DRB, they were under the "most viewed section" with the Japanese letters instead of english names. And then a few hours later it was changed to "Eyesmon" and "Eyesmon Scatter Mode". Things like this are why I'm certain they manually enter the names for the English version and haven't done it for Nidhoggmon yet. It'll prob changed in a few hours.

Wait a min? In Nature Spirits? Eeeh? What the Hades?

it's with Orochimon.

Sparrow Hawk

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hm I see. Felt like it fell in wrong area.

Jscarlos18

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After reading the translated profiles of the Wind Guardians, they really feel like animals on a violent ecosystem. Love it.
My favorite of all of them is probably Toropiamon.
I thought Nidhoggmon would be in the Nightmare Soldiers.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Pendulum Z designs continue to be amazing!

Remember when being part reptile was one of Palmon's core characteristics?
Being paired to the 100% plant Togemon leading into the fairy designs of Lilimon and Rosemon has diminished this part of Palmon's design over the years, very often its lizard-like qualities are downplayed in artwork, presenting her more as a smooth blobby flower spirit.
Now we get Tropiamon. It's not evolving from palmon here but it's a clear continuation of its original aesthetic. If you showed me Palmon's earlier artworks and I didn't know about the rest of the line, and you asked me what this strange plant/reptile combination would evolve to, I probably would picture something like Tropiamon, a big dragon made of plants and flowers.
The connection is also present in more specific ways, with the Tropical Venom attack being a far more extreme version of Palmon's smelly breath techniques and its leafy wings arranged in the same cross pattern as Lilimon's but with a wilder and spikier look. It also features a much more aggresive version of Lilimon's pollen attacks.
Someone better versed in Botany than me would probably have fun identifying all the different plant species included in the design.

Just like Tropiamon looks like something you would expect Palmon to evolve to, Pomumon looks like something that Birdramon would evolve from, sharing its distinctive feather outgrowths and toothed beak. But it's actually a plant Digimon, a fruit even, making it (other than the culmination of a joke Kiwimon never really committed to) a reference to yet another feature of the classic Piyomon line, that jarring transition of the very much plant and seed influenced Poyocomon evolving into Piyomon... who has nothing plant themed going on save for the slightly leaf-like head feather. Pomumon is basically the antithesis to that going for a sense of continuity instead of abrupt change (If anyone doubts the connection to Birdramon, note how the fruit Pomumon is based on is a dragonfruit).
Again, it might not evolve from or two those two monsters in the Pendulum Z but I'm sure future media will pick up on this.
It's a great example of the ingenuity of the pendulum Z designs in general, cleverly playing off existing designs, filling in blanks, without sacrificing individuality.
I am generally of the opinion the Digimon lines don't need to connect aesthetically in all points, and that Digimon designed for specific lines usually end up rather bland. In the classic examples of the Hackmon and Lunamon lines, we tend to end up with forms, usually the Adult or Perfect ones, looking like awkward in-between steps without their own identity. They exist only to get from point A to point B. The Pendulum Z Digimon show how to reference other designs the right way. Even though Pomumon looks like a transition between Poyocmon and Birdramon it still stands on its own. The core of the design itself, the multiple references to the dragonfruit (with it's colorful flat spikes already resembling bird feathers), is something that makes the design work even in the absence of the other Digimon referenced.

Moving onto Entmon, the concept seemed weird at first (and it still kind of is), as Ents are usually portrayed as benign creatures (If that indeed where the name comes from).
But as a design it still works very well, I especially like the color scheme, of earthy colors that provide a good contrast without taking away from the grungy, rotten horror look of the whole design. It's great to see more detailed creepy designs, we don't actually have that many of those as of late.
It looks like the threatening corrupted wooden abomination that Petaldramon could have been.
The insect swarm and the general appearance being based on Gokimon kind of gives me the feeling that despite being a "plant" there could be more to the insect part of him. Like imagine that that his true form is actually just that insect swarm with a hivemind, that likes to pilot a construct of rotten wood.
That could make some interesting battles where the wooden body could get bisected and smashed apart, but the insects could just swarm out and reconstruct it.
The mention of dark miasma at first made me hope for a connection with the new anime but after reading the full translation this seems unlikely as the Miasma in the anime does not seem very insect like.

Parasaurmon is the least impressive looking of the batch, but also seems like the one design that would fit in the best with the early Dinosaur themed Digimon. What sets it apart though is the inclusion of mammal-like characteristics in the design, mostly the fur around its neck and feet but also the shape of the tail that seems to mimic the round puffy shape of a cat tail, rather than any dinosaur tail.
There is also some neat dinosaur trivia references in its main attack "Wavy Octavist"; The profile doesn't mention any connection to Parasaurmon's head crest here, but the sonic nature of the attack is almost certainly based on theories that the head crest of the real Parasaurolophus with its hollow canals and connection to the nose could have functioned as resonance chamber, to produce a distinctive call.
I also wonder if the banana like "organs" are fruit-like enough to be edible.

Level of detail is too high for Perfect and the form is too similar in basic body structure to a withered Tropiamon to be a coincidence, especially since the cockroach was in the set but in a completely different toy. Either this thing was shuffled around in development, or this was done by a guest artist who cut their teeth drawing the X antibodies.
I don't see much similarities in terms of body structure here, in fact the proportions of the front limbs and back limbs seems to be completely reversed between the species and not even the general number of wings, tails and so on adds up.
I would also say that Entmon is completely in line with the precedent of perfect level detail in the Pendulum Z series set by MarineChimariamon and Gogmamon. The only difference is that the particles/insects surrounding him make his artwork seem much "noisier" than the others.

Last edited:

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I spy more Ancient Digimon. If we combine all six do we Ancient Spirit Evolve to Susanoomon or something? :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, the lineup looks really good with my only real gripes being it being Savers!Falcomon again and also Vegiemon feels a bit out of place here. :unsure:

Tetsuya Suoh

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Except Susanoomon is for sure one of the two hidden Super Ultimates in every evolution chart.
Again, no reason to hide it. It's not exactly a hidden or obscure Digimon, and it's definitely not new. Maybe a new Ancient counterpart to Susanoomon, but very likely not Susanoomon itself.
Except for the fact that previous information has mentioned a "long-awaited Digimon", which itself rules out a brand new Digimon. They also mention "That Digimon with all 6 fields" which fits with Susanoomon. We've also never been able to raise Susanoomon in a V-pet before, only having it as a Password Digimon in the Pendulum Ver. 20th.

Last edited:

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Except for the fact that previous information has mentioned a "long-awaited Digimon", which itself rules out a brand new Digimon. They also mention "That Digimon with all 6 fields" We've also never been able to raise Susanoomon in a V-pet before, only having it as a Password Digimon in the Pendulum Ver. 20th.
"Long-awaited" can refer to new things as well. After all, you can anticipate a brand-new product.

Also, that's even more of a reason why Susanoomon wouldn't be listed there. The "long-awaited Digimon" was used in context alongside the special extraneous Digimon that don't appear in the base rosters; like Tailmon, Agumon Bond of Courage, and more importantly Agnimon/KaiserGreymon. By that logic, Susanoomon would also be an extra evolution that wouldn't appear in the base roster. It would also meet the "6 fields" requirement, as Agnimon and Lobomon are both unlocked by connecting each of their respective trio of Fields, so connecting all six would in turn unlock Susanoomon.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gusokumon's body is way more detailed than GranKuwagamon

Grankuwagamon's body is left relatively un-detailed because it's a counterpart to Imperialdramon, which had to be that way because it can transform. (Which Grankuwagamon can do too, technically.)
that matter, there wasn't a single new Ultimate introduced, outside of possibly the hidden ones)

Good. We have too many Ultimates already, fleshing out lower levels is for the best.
Parasaurmon is the least impressive looking of the batch, but also seems like the one design that would fit in the best with the early Dinosaur themed Digimon. What sets it apart though is the inclusion of mammal-like characteristics in the design, mostly the fur around its neck and feet but also the shape of the tail that seems to mimic the round puffy shape of a cat tail, rather than any dinosaur tail.

Dinosaurs did evolve at the same point as mammals, after all.

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah but plant Megas are kinda rare and the ones we have are part of lines. So you have all these guys and then nothing unique to end on... which makes things a bit pointless. Like they get into a game and you end up with rosemon or something. Blossomon has nothing unique and neither do these guys and that basically makes Blossomon rare. And ceresmon would've been perfect for this. Literally a flying plant.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good. We have too many Ultimates already, fleshing out lower levels is for the best.
We actually have a lot of everything except for perfect levels, while Ultimate levels were actually flushed out due to games needing endgame content, perfect levels never really recovered from there only being three of them per pet in the first wave of the digital monster toys.

That’s why we have filler stuff like DigiTamamon being the official Perfect for like four totally unrelated Ultimates. As the only level in the upper three stages not to crack even 300 Digimon it creates a ton of bottlenecks.

(A large chunk of adults are armors, tho, which is why that level feels wonky too)

Jscarlos18

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah.
Ultimate Level are supposed to be really rare but there are at least more than 200 between original and X/variation forms.
With this some of the evo lines can be fleshed out or assigned by the fans.
And there's always the 2 per Pendulum Z that are above Ultimate (probably Super Ultimate made by Jogress between these V-Pets).

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah but plant Megas are kinda rare and the ones we have are part of lines. So you have all these guys and then nothing unique to end on... which makes things a bit pointless. Like they get into a game and you end up with rosemon or something. Blossomon has nothing unique and neither do these guys and that basically makes Blossomon rare. And ceresmon would've been perfect for this. Literally a flying plant.
Yeah.
Ultimate Level are supposed to be really rare but there are at least more than 200 between original and X/variation forms.
With this some of the evo lines can be fleshed out or assigned by the fans.
And there's always the 2 per Pendulum Z that are above Ultimate (probably Super Ultimate made by Jogress between these V-Pets).
When people want new Ultimates it’s generally ones that don’t fall into the generic dragon/knight/dragonknight archetype(s). While there are around 350 Ultimates if you subtract the dragons and knights it’s closer to only 200: the dang things make up over a third of the entire level!

When looked at it from that perspective it creates a lot of thematic dead ends. IE as has been mentioned in this thread: plant Digimon.