Pendulum Megahits

natyy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think I've found the key to megahitting on the pendulum.

It's not how vigorous/pattern you shake it, but how many timesyou shake it.

I've tried this for pendulum savers, wind guardians & metal empire. Which produced quite significant results.

The number differs for each evolution. However, I had difficulty with several evolutions in replicating the megahitness.

However, if say I shook it 4 times and later 4 times for the same digimon, it shot the single/double attacks in the same pattern.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have thought that for a while. Though it is not quite as simple as, for example, the PenX. I have a plan in the pipeline to settle this once and for all, but it's one of way-too-many projects, and I'm working on a different one this week...

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Here is my post from the old Digimon Himitsu forum.

Today's Pendulum mod

I recently got a new Pendulum 3.0 from Duke, so I was willing to be a bit more adventurous with my old, damaged one. (This one if anyone remembers =P.)

I wanted to rig up something so I could control the pendulum switch from the outside. And I actually found a completely non-destructive way to do it. Both ends are screwed in place, so if I just remove those parts and screw something else there instead, it should be possible to put everything back in the end.

That's enamelled wire, so hopefully it won't short anything. And that really is the background from a V-Pet ver1 (the screen was too dim for me to see before I put that in there).

It is working: I can power up the training by pressing the button. I'm thinking of trying to use computer-controlled signals to get a precise idea of what the rules are.
Anyway, I got down to it today, and you are correct. It is how many times you shake it.

I tweaked my battle/Jogress device to control the modded Pendulum switch. New picture:

It's not all of that circuitry, only the lower half of the board. So not as bad as it looks, hehe. The four wires on the left go to the Pendulum and the batteries (which are underneath the Pendulum). The two on the right go to my computer's headphone socket. And the big red one in the middle is an oscilloscope probe.

Down to business then. All measurements were taken for 3.0 Mokumon. (I had to reset it a few times due to it evolving and/or running out of DP.)

Electrically, it just counts the number of times the switch is closed (well, opening it again the last time may be required, I didn't check that). I checked quite carefully that it behaved at different speeds, and did a few with irregular patterns to make sure. It seems to be pretty forgiving.

To obtain consistent results, the duration of the contact must be less than 60ms and the space between contacts must be more than approx 70ms. I don't think either of those will be a problem in normal use. More of a problem may be making sufficient contact in the first place: if the pendulum is pressed hard against the pad it gives a resistance of approx 200R, and I was using 3K in my circuit, but it may be that a light touch for too short a time won't work. (There does appear to be a capacitor to discharge. When the contact is broken, it then recharges from the Pendulum's power supply.)

This is what I got for Mokumon (number of "shakes", shot pattern):

Code:
00 11111
01 21111
02 22221
03 22111
04 21212
05 12111
06 11111
07 12121
08 21122
09 22222
10 11121
11 11111
12 22212
13 21112
14 22222
15 22222
16 22222
17 22222
18 22222
19 11111
20 11111
21 22222
22 22222
23 22212
24 12112
I don't think it's possible to shake that high during normal use. But it might be.

Airdra

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well I'll be. o_O;; *was wrong* I always seem to get better results on the 1.5 when shaking irregularly versus shaking regularly on the 3.0, but I guess I was just randomly hitting the right number. ^^;; Nice work.

And you've got numbers to back it up. XD Numbers.

(Did you save that post or get a backup of the board somehow? ^^;; *is confused*)

natyy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ok random results
For megahits:
Deep Savers:
Rukamon: 4
Zudomon: 2
MarineAngemon: 7

Metal Empire:
Greymon: 5

I don't remember the rest though I jotted them down somewhere. Digimon's dead now. Too lazy to raise.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I saved that post. I save most of my posts, actually. Anything more than a few lines long, I compose in Notepad and save regularly in case of a board glitch or computer crash. And I don't clear out the drafts, because who knows when I might need one of them?

However, it looks like I spoke too soon. I started up my other Pendulum 3.0, and tried to get somewhere with the list of numbers in front of me. It's routinely counting almost double what I would expect from my shakes. (I got the pattern for 24 with some quite leisurely shaking.) I would guess a switch bounce phenomenon, though yesterday's research suggested it was pretty well debounced, and I thought more than 70ms of that would be a little odd. I'd blame the sprung pendulum contraption except for the fact that now I think about it, the manual switch wasn't much better. I guess I should hook it up again with the manual switch and my o'scope, and try to figure out what's different...

--------

For the manual switch: no bounce to speak of, but my presses are too long (o'scope screenshot). I suppose that is to be expected, really. With this setup, as with the "real" shaking, it's counting approximately double the number that would be expected.

Now I think about it, it is quite likely that for the "real" shaking, the same problem occurs, and the pendulum remains in contact with the pad for more than 60ms. Unfortunately, it's not quite consistent about what duration counts as 1, 2 or 3...