MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A Pendulum art book preview!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

MonMon Memo is back, and for the 14th update, they've decided to go over some elements of the upcoming Digimon Pendulum art book in a Production Status Report.

In addition to Digimon from the Pendulum series and the Pendulum Version 20th series, they have illustrations of the X-Antibody Digimon from the Pendulum X in the art book. There are more than 300 Digimon total, a decent chunk more than the art book from last year.

While still being worked on, they have sample pages they want to share. The first is the layout sample of HerculesKabuterimon and SaberLeomon at the top of the article.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Then there is also a preview of the page for Piemon, along with a page featuring Armadimon and his various armor evolutions.

They point out you can see the details that make up the power of the Digimon's designs.

Plus there will be a number of articles.

But they also want to make sure we know that the various illustrations won't be the only highlight of the book.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

In the photo you can see them going over various pages from the Pendulum art book. They appear to be comparing them to pages from the art book from last year, along with old Pendulum booklets.

There will be details of the Pendulum plan from at the time it was made. There is a story from Bandai's Big Dreamer Taoka, Mr. Maekawa (this appears to be Atsushi Maekawa, who wrote quite a bit of early Digimon material, including being one of the series composers for 02 and the person who wrote most of Impmon's development in Tamers), and Kenji Watanabe. The story of the early development was told via an interview Big Dreamer Taoka conducted just the other day.

They will also touch on (just a bit) the development of future Digimon toys, so they think this will be an interesting interview for fans.

In addition, the columns/articles will be filled with interesting planning pages featuring Armor Digimon, along with the cute Digimon illustrations that they've been posting to Twitter.

Next week's MonMon Memo will be Digital Monster Art Book ver. Pendulum Production Status Report 2.

The Digital Monster Art Book Version Pendulum is still available to order. Details can be found here.

Previous MonMon Memos have included:
Cold Mode
Copymon
New Virus Busters
New Nightmare Soldiers
Silver Blue Special Digi-Eggs
Silver Black Special Digi-Eggs, Plus ones in both!
Jogress Digimon
Password Digimon
Overview of the 20th Pendulum, Plus Enemies in Battle Mode
Kenji Watanabe Pendulum Interview
CSA Digivice tri. Memorial
Additional Digimon showing up in the Pendulum 20th 2nd Wave
RagnaLordmon, Jogress of the 20th Anniversary Legend Arms

RogueX4

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow to bad I can read Japanese but still I’ll pick this gorgeous book up just because of the art.

Really hope they are teasing a Pendulum Progress ver 20th. Although I get the feeling they might drop it and just go straight to the Pen X or do something else entirely.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think that once again the thing I'll be looking forward to most are those humorous illustrations in the corners of the Digimon pages. It appears that in one of them Piemon has the chainsaw he uses in the Adventure novelization. I can't tell who he's about to saw in half, though.

Teddyzmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think that once again the thing I'll be looking forward to most are those humorous illustrations in the corners of the Digimon pages. It appears
that in one of them Piemon has the chainsaw he uses in the Adventure novelization. I can't tell who he's about to saw in half, though.
He looks like Etemon.

I'm super excited! Still wish they'd cram more illustrations into all that white space though.
Also I should probably learn to read japanese

SuperStarlite

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
High quality official art. Digimon, why you no release these instead of the 320by320 ones!? T-T

Kunemon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Will the armor evolutions even be large enough to make out like this? Seems strange to have full-page images and then little ones.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Will the armor evolutions even be large enough to make out like this? Seems strange to have full-page images and then little ones.
Well to begin with the Armor Digimon are not obtainable in the Pendulum, so I expect them to appear as an easter-egg than anything else, similar to how the Sistermon were handled in the first Art Book. That said, Since the Armor and the X-Digimon are gonna be touched in here, I also expect at least a bit love for the Spirit Digimon too (Considering how Susanoomon is one of the most prominent password Digimon in the V-Pet). A guy can dream :D

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice stuff as usual. If there's one thing that surprises me it'S the mention of the cute twitter artwork. It's not my style but it will be interesting to know where it came from since a few of the earlier ones seem like they were done quite a while ago but others are obviously new but before the twitter I don't recall them ever being used heavily... so maybe there's some interesting background stuff there.

High quality official art. Digimon, why you no release these instead of the 320by320 ones!? T-T
For a while it was really weird... but now I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't change it because they want people to have a reason to buy the artbooks lol
(also whenever the Digimon twitter posts bandai art will it tends to be at a little bit of a better resolution)

Will the armor evolutions even be large enough to make out like this?
It's a big book. Those "little" illustrations already have more detail than what we normally get.

Arranos

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At least Shadramon and Mambomon will be getting full pages, though.

Since they're in the Pendulum 20th.

Teddyzmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well to begin with the Armor Digimon are not obtainable in the Pendulum, so I expect them to appear as an easter-egg than anything else, similar to how the Sistermon were handled in the first Art Book. That said, Since the Armor and the X-Digimon are gonna be touched in here, I also expect at least a bit love for the Spirit Digimon too (Considering how Susanoomon is one of the most prominent password Digimon in the V-Pet). A guy can dream :D
wait, there's sistermon in the first artbook? where??

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice stuff as usual. If there's one thing that surprises me it'S the mention of the cute twitter artwork. It's not my style but it will be interesting to know where it came from since a few of the earlier ones seem like they were done quite a while ago but others are obviously new but before the twitter I don't recall them ever being used heavily... so maybe there's some interesting background stuff there.
I'm not sure if it's what you're referring to but some of them (like this one: https://twitter.com/bandai_digimon/status/918677293437935616) are from the Savers-ish era? Some of them are used as art for the Digivice iC/Burst I think and some were used for the Card Game Alpha/BT cards (https://wikimon.net/OP02-031).
They also used some (like this one https://twitter.com/bandai_digimon/status/907802143964372992) from the Digimon Mini.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's not really strange. It's the equivalent to the page in the first artbook about variations and recolours that had all those Agumons. We'll get Manbomon and Shadramon for sure since they're part of the new eggs, or at least I hope we do.

I'm more worried about not getting full Ciel art to be honest. I'd feel a lot better about her if she got some official art. But she might not even be a raisable Digimon.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm more worried about not getting full Ciel art to be honest. I'd feel a lot better about her if she got some official art. But she might not even be a raisable Digimon.
Why "might"? It's clear she's definitely a Copymon, not a raisable Digimon. It's been officially stated from nearly the very beginning that there will be 15 password-locked Copymons in total, and Ciel has been discovered grouped together alongside 14 other Digimon, several of which are already officially revealed as password Copymons.

Last edited:

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The month's DRB update is not do until at least this coming Sunday so she may be in the lineup.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Of course, while she's not a raisable Digimon, Sistermon Ciel could still be in the art book since she is technically inside the Pendulum 20th. Some of the password Copymons, particularly the ones with special Jogresses within the Pendulum 20th, definitely deserve coverage within the art book.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wasn't following the news tbh. I hope Copymon gets a full profile and art too.

Arranos

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
He does look like Copipemon.