Original Digimon Pendulum

jeffraven

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry, I might post this in the wrong section.
I was cleaning my house and I found 3 Digimon pendulums from aeons.
1 x v5 and 2 x v4.5.
I tried starting all three digimons up with 2 new LR44 batteries.
They made a beep sound and the Bandai logo is displayed. But the digitama just wouldn't appear, with press of any buttons or by shaking it.
Could it be that the chip inside has already lost its programming? If that is the case, how can i reflash them?
I would really appreciate the help to relive back my childhood.

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I believe you need to press a button combo, either A+C or A+B. Can't remember for certain off the top of my head, but give that a shot and see if it works.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's just B to set the clock. Try the reset button too, and see if that does anything.

The problem is probably the buttons. But Pendulums are tricky to take apart. Things to watch out for: 1. When you lift off the back, it's still connected by the speaker wires, so careful not to break those. 2. Note carefully how the shaker mechanism is put together before messing with it. 3. The spring is easy to damage, or ping across the room so you never see it again. 4. The screen is sort of stuck onto the PCB, and if it's currently working, best not to dislodge it (lift PCB out straight and softly). 5. Now you can see the inside of the buttons - clean the gold pads on the PCB with alcohol; on the rubber side pick out any big bits of dirt with tweezers, but don't touch the black button pads if you can help it.

jeffraven

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The B button didn't work, and I tried all the possible button combo. The reset button did work, but it just off the screen and after i lifted it, the Ban Dai logo appeared again.
I opened up, until one last extra small screw near the spring which is holding the board to the body.
I will try this in a couple of days after i bought a set of watch maker driver.
But by prying a little bit at the side, i can see the rubber button degraded a bit, this could be the reason. But let me check again and update here.
Thank you for the suggestion.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If the rubber is breaking up, cleaning the PCB clearly won't bring the buttons back to full health, but might still bring them from "no response" to "usable".

jeffraven

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi, I manage to make one work, the other i think i broke it completely.
I cleaned the black residue from the PCB. I believe this is the carbon from the button black pad?

What is the blackpad at the bottom of the button? Because i swap it, and the other digimon worked back.
Should i clean the button black pad too?

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The black button pad is probably plastic with a carbon layer, and if you clean it too much you can clean the carbon off. If you've already figured by swapping the buttons that the problem is on that side, it's worth cleaning anyway, but don't go overboard. If the carbon is gone, you can attempt a repair by sticking some other conductive material onto the black pad. There's some discussion around the internet and products available aimed at TV remotes. As far as I'm aware, these repairs mostly don't work all that well or last for long.

Edit: My mother used http://keypadfix.com/ on the TV remote. It seems to work OK, but needs redoing every few months. Maybe I should try it on my worst-affected V-Pet.

jeffraven

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
the one i managed to revived is dead again. The buttons stopped working.
There was an intermittent beeping, when i see it, the B button contact keep switching between the screen and time.
So I pressed other buttons, and then they all totally stop working.

I ordered some new conductive rubber keypad for calculators and will try swap the pads.
Else i will remove completely the buttons, and maybe use some old pencil with EMC copper foil tape stuck at the end and use it like a button.

The 1998 v4 with v20 pendulum at the background
https://i.imgur.com/X4AZ60J.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Blade's suggestion makes sense, but as she mentioned, many of the tools do have issues.

You might want to use the stuff that's used to repair comptuer keyboards and other very old equipment. When dried I haven't heard of many examples of people needing to redo it for years, at least regarding old computer repairs, so it's possible it'd work for V-Pets also (it lasting on computer keyboards and such may be based on just how they physically are, I'm not sure.)

CaiKote 44 is one I see recommended a lot, and 8bitguy used a 2 part solution when he tried using some, not sure if that makes it better potentially...

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There was an intermittent beeping, when i see it, the B button contact keep switching between the screen and time.
Sounds like the B button was stuck in the "on" position, so probably there was a piece of conductive dirt in the contact.

Thinking more carefully about my own V-Pets, I believe the ones that weren't fixed by cleaning the gold side all had the rubber clearly breaking up, so I might not have any examples of the "carbon is gone" issue.

jeffraven

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I bought this conductive pen and painted on the buttons. They are working currently, I am not sure how long it will last.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6-qEAl7pkE

Now i revived the second v4.5 digimon.
2 out of 3 are working now.
Tomorrow i will repair the last v5.

jeffraven

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fixed all of the three. 22yo antiques

jeffraven

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi guys,
just asking
what is this for jogress
First Data Perfect + Second Data Perfect

Second Data Perfect what does it mean.

Kind regards
Jeff

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When looking at charts on the original Digimon Pendulum series, they go in order from top to bottom. So for example, on Deep Savers the Perfects are ordered like this:
  • Zudomon (First Vaccine Perfect)
  • Whamon (Second Vaccine Perfect)
  • Mega Seadramon (First Data Perfect)
  • Anomalocarimon (Second Data Perfect)
  • Marin Devimon (First Virus Perfect)
  • Dagomon (Second Virus Perfect)
These are commonly referred to as slots, and are consistent across all Pendulum versions. When connecting a Triceramon, Mega Seadramon, Death Meramon etc are all First Data Perfects.

So on your devices, if you wanted to get Griffomon and Metal Garurumon, you could Jogress Blossomon and Big Mamemon, or Knightmon and Delumon.