Option Card Dark Despair & Mastemon Previews for Booster Set 3

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

New card previews from the Digimon Card Game!

The Digimon Card Game Twitter has updated with more card previews from Booster Set 3 Union Impact. This time it's option card Dark Despair and Mastemon!

Dark Despair features Mastemon doing one of her signature moves, where she uses her dark left hand to crush and eventually delete those she battles against. It isn't bad art, but it feels like the lightning effect on the hand isn't quite enough.

And the other card is Mastermon herself. We got to see the actual main art for this card awhile ago, and it's really great looking, even moreso now that we have a good clean look at it. And the armies appearing behind her appears to be a reference to her profile, wherein both groups would work together and rally behind her against a large crisis.

Digimon Card Game Booster Set 3 Union Impact is scheduled to release on October 30th.

Previous card previews for Booster Set 3:

Attachments

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mastemon
[When Digivolved] each player discards 1 Security card from the top of their Security decks. You may play 1 Lv. 4 or less Yellow or Purple Digimon from your trash without paying its cost

Dark Despair
[Main] 1 if your Digimon gains <Companion> until the end of your opponent's next turn
[Security] add this card to your hand

I'm not sure if I should use "Vengeance" or "Companion" for the name of this effect as people seem to use both but the ability is "if this Digimon is Deleted by battle, Delete the Digimon it was fighting"

YOOOO so many cameos in Mastemon's background!!

edit: oof okay, now it's sort of bugging me how these two Mastemon arts are not actually the same design. Look at their collars and their belts and how one has little lights on the breasts and the other has the lights below them. These areas are very different between the two arts

Last edited:

Dynamicmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mastemon
[When Digivolved] each player discards 1 Security card from the top of their Security decks. You may play 1 Lv. 4 or less Yellow or Purple Digimon from your trash without paying its cost

Dark Despair
[Main] 1 if your Digimon gains <Companion> until the end of your opponent's next turn
[Security] add this card to your hand

I'm not sure if I should use "Vengeance" or "Companion" for the name of this effect as people seem to use both but the ability is "if this Digimon is Deleted by battle, Delete the Digimon it was fighting"

YOOOO so many cameos in Mastemon's background!!
Vengeance seems like a better fit for Purple

but 'companion' isn't the most accurate translation. I mean it is, but not is this context, however I'm struggling to think of a single word for 'take along to the grave'. I guess 'Grave Companion' might be a bit more clear?

Last edited:

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Damn, Mastemon be lookin so fine. Makes me sad that we're likely not getting Mirei as a Tamer in this Set. :(

I'm not sure where "Vengeance" came from but I would presume a fan translator gave up on the subtleties of "道連れ" (Traveling Companion) and just used something that made sense gameplay-wise. Hopefully we'll get BT-02 in English soon so we'll have an official ENG term to use. :unsure:

Dynamicmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not sure where "Vengeance" came from but I would presume a fan translator gave up on the subtleties of "道連れ" (Traveling Companion) and just used something that made sense gameplay-wise. Hopefully we'll get BT-02 in English soon so we'll have an official ENG term to use. :unsure:
For real. I mean, we'll likely see some 'michizure' Digis in the first english set, but I'd at least like to see a preview :p

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is that Darcmon above Mastemon’s head or a generic angel?

Tarama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow Mastemon card.
We can see Angewomon, Devimon, IceDevimon, Angemon, Darcmon, HolyAngemon, Mephismon, Phelesmon, Pidmon, NeoDevimon, Cherubimon.

MechaMadness

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We've seen Mastemon before, but it bears repeating that it's a really solid card. It fittingly helps with the Purple-Yellow Synergy we first saw with stuff like Tailmon and Wizarmon from Ultimate Power, particularly the former since Mastemon herself is treated as a Purple Card, so even in an otherwise Mono-Yellow Deck you'll be able to trigger stuff like Tailmon. It's also just a good effect overall. An unconditional discard to Security without even attacking like Dukemon is great offensively since it dances around any potential Security effects that might come out, among other things. Sure, you're also discarding from your own Security, but Yellow specializes in Recovery to compensate for that, while Purple actively wants cards in the Trash for their various effects, so it still works well on both ends. Finally, do think it's interesting to note that Mastemon was the first Purple card that can trigger "When Played" effects from the Trash, followed by the CresGarurumon from the Starter Decks. Most Purple revival cards such as MetalGarurumon tend to have a specific clause that prevent When Played Skills from activating, so stuff like Mastemon or Cres could be very good in the future if we ever get some super useful When Played skills on low-level Purples.

Dark Despair is fine. Cards like Scrapless Claw in Red to give Piercing or V-Breath Arrow in Blue to give Jamming pretty much confirmed that we'd eventually get a Purple card that gives Vengeance. Think I'd rather use something like Devimon that has Vengeance both as an Inheritable and Active Skill if I wanted to use the Keyword personally. Still, I appreciate it existing if nothing else, it's always good to have the option, no pun intended, to use it rather then have it not exist at all.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa that's why Mastemon grins like you are doomed to face me with my infinite army!

Dat backgrounds. Full of Angel and Demon types even Cherubimon is there. Good to see D'arcmon actually have two different poses instead of copy/paste poses like others...?

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa that's why Mastemon grins like you are doomed to face me with my infinite army!

Dat backgrounds. Full of Angel and Demon types even Cherubimon is there. Good to see D'arcmon actually have two different poses instead of copy/paste poses like others...?
Very good reference to its profile similar to ragnalordmon.

JeanGreymon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now we just need LadyDevimon please! Odd that she’s not in the background...

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cherubimon
Angewomon
Boogeyman
Mephismon
Neodevimon
Devimon
Holyangemon
Icedevimon

And then there are a few that I forgot the name of, all I remember its the low ranked angel digimon.

I can't tell by the pic but I think there is ofanimon to.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Are there any you specifically can't identify?
every Digimon between her thighs, the staff Digimon beside her black thigh, the angel above her head, the Digimon under Angewomon, the wing seen between her black wings

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The angel above her is Darcmon. The others you'd probably have to point out with an image or something, since it's hard to tell which ones you're talking about. Many of them seem to be too distant to be identified for certain.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Those angels and demons wont get along long enough to work together and will start an all out angel and demon war. Mastemon's face knows this.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess the full picture of Mastemon probably will have Ladydevimon or not. But if Mastemon can manage to get SGDL on her side then she is truly powerful one.

But even included Cherubimon Vice is something interesting... Well it turned out as D'arcmon didn't have two poses.
But a lot of copied/pasted poses everywhere I see. lol

It's really hard to see the shadow ones but it could be Phelesmon rather than Boogreymon due to shadow gloves obviously? Look like there are only most human shaped Digimon ones besides Cherubimon however I notice there is one "bird" shadow....

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That Mastemon card showing it leading the Angel and Demon army is so cool!