One Digimon with two different levels?

Laasko

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ITS THEORY TIME

I want to write my own fan fiction and so I searched for good Evolution lines and Partners for my seven Kids. But then I noticed something strange. According to different sources a few Digimon are on two different levels?
Just like Whamon. Whamon is a Champion Digimon, but also a Perfect?
But that’s not all. Piemon, Minotaurmon also has this faith.

What’s your theory? Is there anything explained?
Is it possible that levels don’t have clear lines, like we used to know?
Does any Ultimate/perfect Level digimon habe the possibility to be also a Perfect/champion?

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nah, they're rather exceptions that appeared here and there rather than a rule. Not to mention that some Digimons without a level (mostly from Xros Wars, or Hybrids and Armour) in some media got a level, and not always it was accurate (according to their power). And you forgot Rapidmon.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whamon is Adult level because it lives in the File Island. Outside of File Island have harsher environments therefore Whamon adapted to Perfect level although it still have same appearance.

Minotaurmon's level is Perfect according to the japanese card of his. I think English version had its wrong level and that was why he was viewed as "Champion" level by digi-fans mostly.

Besides Levels, there are few certain Digimon ones with multiple Attributes.... Like Dobermon.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Minotaurmon has been both levels. It’s not just an English mistake.

A lot of older Ultimate Digimon have also been Perfect, since some of the older video games didn’t go beyond that level. There are also other oddities in old games. Ebidramon, Shakomon, and Mechanorimon were all Perfect level in their debut on Sega Saturn. There are other examples as well.

Laasko

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And you forgot Rapidmon.
Rapidmon is strange tho.. adult, armor AND perfect XD

Besides Levels, there are few certain Digimon ones with multiple Attributes.... Like Dobermon.
True.. could it be that Digimon have different stats according where they live?
Like these birds Paridae, which are basically the same but there appearance is a bit different, to survive trough isolation and selection.

Like whamon needed to be stronger in the ocean
And Dobermon needed to change the attribute?

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah Minotarumon was of several Perfect level Digimon that had their level changed over time, specifically it became an Adult as shown in the Digimon Reference Book hence why fans acknowledge it as an Adult rather than a Perfect.

And by the by, the English card game did have the Perfect level Minotarumon card as well:

Last edited:

Laasko

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A lot of older Ultimate Digimon have also been Perfect, since some of the older video games didn’t go beyond that level.
But the producer never gave a explanation why, or did I missed something? It’s definitely nice to know if the level is just some construction to measure strength (then Angemon should be perfect, since it is strong like a perfect lvl) or is it a level just like in POKéMON?

There are also other oddities in old games. Shakomon [was] Perfect level in [its] debut on Sega Saturn.
Why would they made a Perfect lvl digimon to a Child?

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What. Minotarumon's level was shown as Adult in DIGIMON REFERENCE BOOK? I didn't know that. How interesting.

Dobermon's original Attribute is Virus. Its current Attribute is Vaccine that is actually mutation under unknown causes.

Digimon Reference books will tell you their whole lore. I wish Wikimon update a new section for this case; multiple Level/Attributes.

At few times I always kept mistaking few certain ones for assuming their Attributes haha... Like Xuanwumon, Tankmon, Junomon, etc....

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Most of them are from before Mega existed, leading to some Digimon being bumped up by one, and some being bumped down by one.

Then you have that PS1 card game that made everything Mega as an Ultimate instead. Even something like Omnimon.

Most are consitent with what level they are now a days, though there's still a few outliners now and then, such as GoldNumemon being a Champion in most appearances but sometimes he'll be a Mega.

and then you have the fact each branch of the franchise will randomly assign Xros/Hybird Digimon random levels.

Oh and the Korean games sure like to put multiple of the same Digimon and give them all four levels lol. EG, Rookie, Champion, Ultimate, and Mega Shoutmon who turn into each other lol

mostly though, it's early instalment weirdness, before everything was fully fleshed out.

Although technically, the Whamons are actually two different Digimon. Glad they've not done that more than once though lol. Wikimon has Minotaurmon with two different species, but the Ultimate one has been missing for like 15 years, so I just count it as starting Ultimate and dropping to Champion

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Laasko: There’s no official explanation for things like Shakomon. Probably they just needed a Child-level Virus Digimon for Deep Savers and figured they could use Shakomon because it looked the part.

Yamato-san

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With Whamon, I guess the idea was that it's a big whale, so it's gonna be strong, but not quite the strongest Digimon out there. So, once the final level moved up one, they did the same to Whamon in turn (either that, or like what was just mentioned about Shakomon, maybe they just couldn't think of a suitable Perfect Vaccine for Deep Savers, or they REALLY wanted to fit in Rukamon but figured it'd be extremely awkward to have it be Whamon's Perfect and not the other way around, or they REALLY wanted to fit in Gomamon but figured Rukamon wouldn't work as a Child). I guess another thing worth considering is that, in the original Digital Monster V-pets, Adults were easily the most abundant level while Perfects were relatively rare, so it must've made sense to design the majority of Adults as generic savage beasts or fighters or whatever while the Perfects got more unusual designs (particularly the tiny mutants and whatever evolved from the poop-flingers)..... that, and the fact that every Digimon at a particular stage was essentially the same thing across all five versions, right down to using the same attack animation.

Yeah Minotarumon was of several Perfect level Digimon that had their level changed over time, specifically it became an Adult as shown in the Digimon Reference Book hence why fans acknowledge it as an Adult rather than a Perfect.
Even before the Digimon Reference Book, Minotaurmon appeared in the 02 anime where (in the Japanese version) the narrator during its profile screen specifically calls it an Adult (amusingly enough, Tamers did something similar, with Ruki identifying Evilmon as a Child despite usually being an Adult). Minotaurmon's Adult variant also appeared in the card game not long afterwards (it was one of the Lotteria promo cards).

It’s definitely nice to know if the level is just some construction to measure strength (then Angemon should be perfect, since it is strong like a perfect lvl) or is it a level just like in POKéMON?
Strength will vary wildly across various forms of media, but for the most part, levels do determine strength. Though, considering Digimon's roots as a V-pet, you could think of them more as life stages (which is still very apparent in the Japanese names). With that in mind, the idea is that Digimon reach their peak maturity once they hit Adult, though Perfect and Ultimate manage to go beyond that for Digimon who manage to survive (incidentally, Jijimon and Babamon don't usually come off as especially strong in certain media, but their status as Ultimates likely has to do more with their design basis, indicating the end of their lifespan). However, I guess it got a bit complicated since, starting from the Adventure anime, evolutions could be temporary while other stages (usually Child) could be permanently retained, and thus the franchise got its equivalent to the B-button in Pokemon (granted, you could probably say the same thing about the NPCs in Digimon World, though in the V-Tamer manga, it seemed as though EVERYONE, main protagonists and side characters alike, were capable of evolving over the course of the story..... except Gabo, oddly enough).

And no, I don't get why Angemon was so damn overpowered in Adventure. My guess is that they needed a counter to Devimon whom, despite being an Adult, could come across as a main antagonist due to his basis as.... well, the devil. Plus, it was meant to be a pay-off for Patamon's evolution taking so long (with the arc relating some prophecy about the youngest child having the greatest hidden power, which I could imagine working as a theme of encouragement towards the show's target audience). It probably helped that they were on File Island, which was based heavily on the original Digital Monster V-pets, so Ultimate wasn't even a thing yet as far as the anime was concerned (I also recall some rumors that Digimon Adventure was intended to last one cour, which could've coincided perfectly with File Island's conclusion, but I'm not sure if that was ever confirmed).

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Angemon wasn't really unusually strong in Adventure. He just had an advantage over demonic Digimon. They bring that up in 02, where he's useless against Okuwamon.

(I also recall some rumors that Digimon Adventure was intended to last one cour, which could've coincided perfectly with File Island's conclusion, but I'm not sure if that was ever confirmed)
It's been thoroughly disproven.

Jon Snow

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
BlackKingNumemon was an Ultimate/Mega in Digimon World 3 (three WaruMonzaemon, Monzaemon, Digitamamon or Gerbemon cards would fuse into him).

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For that matter, Digimon World 3's internal card game also had MarineDevimon as an Adult and BlackMegaloGrowmon as an Ultimate. Gotsumon was an Adult in Digital Card Battle, though it became a Child again in Arena (fittingly enough, given its Adventure-universe setting).

Yamato-san

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, speaking of the Digimon World games, I just remembered that Chimeramon was an Ultimate in Digimon World 2 (rather than a Perfect). Granted, it never actually evolved from anything, and could only (legitimately) be obtained in-game by transferring it over from the Pocket Digimon World series (where, oddly enough, it was treated as having its standard Perfect level).

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, speaking of the Digimon World games, I just remembered that Chimeramon was an Ultimate in Digimon World 2 (rather than a Perfect). Granted, it never actually evolved from anything, and could only (legitimately) be obtained in-game by transferring it over from the Pocket Digimon World series (where, oddly enough, it was treated as having its standard Perfect level).
The code for the original Digimon World has Icemon, Meteormon, Flareizamon, DarkLizardmon, Yanmamon, and SandYanamon as Rookie level which I guess means they were all bumped up when to Champion when Mega came. DemiMeramon was also Baby 1 instead of 2. IceLeomon and BlueMeramon are also Champion rather than Ultimate, though they could be obtained in Japanese versions, so were "proper" Champions rather than just in the game's code.

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On Wikimon, it shows Arresterdramon as both an Adult level and an Ultimate level Digimon. They skip Perfect level all together.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On Wikimon, it shows Arresterdramon as both an Adult level and an Ultimate level Digimon. They skip Perfect level all together.
Champion was Next Order, Mega was Links. Next Order had a "Mega" Arresterdramon as well, but they had the level "unknown", though acted as a Mega since they came from Taomon/Megadramon, and GoldRapidmon/AeroVeedramon.

I guess they have no reason to be Ultimate/Perfect since Shoutmon/Gumdramon are basically rookies. I think Ultimate would be interesting though, if they do a second version of Gumdramon to paralell KingShoutmon so we get Shoutmon -> King -> Omni, and Gumdrmaon -> new -> Arrest

Yamato-san

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I found the way that Hacker's Memory handled Shoutmon's level to be quite interesting. It evolves from a Baby2, it has stats similar to a Child.... by all rights, this should be a Child Digimon, and yet it just lists nothing where its level should be on the status screen.

Incidentally, OmegaShoutmon has no level either, but has Ultimate-tier stats (which is hardly unprecedented for the Child-tier Shoutmon to evolve into when the first Cyber Sleuth had Hackmon Warp Evolving to Jesmon). I'm pretty sure the only reason OmegaShoutmon and Arresterdramon have "Adult" forms in next 0rder has more to do with how the V-pet system works. I guess it prevents Warp Evolution from being a thing, but OmegaShoutmon and Arresterdramon were portrayed as Ultimate-tier in other media, so the solution was apparently to have two different versions of those Digimon so they could still evolve from their Child-tier predecessors.

Last edited:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Chimairamon was also originally an Ultimate when he was introduced as the second component of Milleniummon in Anode/Cathode tamer. Ultimate makes indeed sense as it made him a more straightforward counterpart to Mugendramon, although Mugendramon does of course contain more parts of perfect Digimon than Chimairamon does. But then Zero Two came along and... well I guess it would have messed up the escalation of the story's stakes if they had defeated an Ultimate in the first half of the Series.

The code for the original Digimon World has Icemon, Meteormon, Flareizamon, DarkLizardmon, Yanmamon, and SandYanamon as Rookie level which I guess means they were all bumped up when to Champion when Mega came.
Except the Ultimate level already existed for months when Digimon World was released, it was just not part of that particular system. There could be plenty of technical or general balance reasons of why things were implemented as they were, and if the need to rebalance past monsters just because a new level was added had been a proper thing, one should have expected it to affect a lot more Digimon than just that weirdly specific collection.
And for some of them the upgrade didn't even stick 100%... Icemon and Insekimon are Child level in Digimon Savers: Another mission but going by their stats and the game's generally shabby state, this could have been an oversight.