Nyaromon, Argomon (In-Training), Veedramon, Zubamon, Ludomon, & BlackGatomon Previews for US Special Booster 1.5

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Special Booster 1.5 previews continue for the US version of the card game!

Won't go over them in detail, since it's the same cards that came out awhile ago in Japan. We get new previews of Nyaromon, Argomon (In-Training), Veedramon, Zubamon, Ludomon, and BlackGatomon

US Boosters 1.0 and 1.5 will contain all the cards from Japanese boosters 1, 2, and 3, featuring their original numbering.

Special Booster 1.5 will be out in February.

Previous Special Booster 1.5 Previews:

The pre-sale for the first wave of English Digimon Card Game releases is out. It includes the first 3 starter decks and special booster 1.0 (a larger than normal booster set containing a selection of cards from the 1st 3 Japanese boosters. When paired with the upcoming special 1.5, it contains all the cards as those boosters in Japan.)

All the day 1 cards (the 3 starter decks, special booster 1.0, and a bunch of promo cards) we have clean images for, which can be found here.

Various rules and other updates for the early release of the Digimon Card Game English version can be found here.

We also have info about the release of Starter Decks 4, 5, and 6 and Booster Set 4 in English here.

Early packaging and promo card details for special booster 1.5 can be found here.

Details of the upcoming Premium Pack & Great Dash Pack can be found here.

Attachments

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad they're using the name Argomon, that's what I was worried about most.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad they're using the name Argomon, that's what I was worried about most.
It's a legitimate shame that the pun in its name can't really be translated.
To be fair, the pun hinged on Japanese pronunciation of l and r hence why it doesn't work in English do to the phonetic differences of the languages.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They could come up with something like Alrgomon I guess

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That seems like it would just cause more problems and it doesn't actually solve the fundamental problem that prevents the original pun from working in English, that problem being that Japanese has a single sound that is used for both l and r whereas these letters are separate sounds in English:
Japanese has neither English R nor English L - it has a sound that might be best described as a combination between an R and L*, leaning a bit more towards "l", if not for the incredible variation it sees in various dialects of Japanese. So, a native Japanese speaker who's not fluent in English can have difficulty telling when to use an R or an L, or will simply use their native R/L sound (which quite often sounds like the wrong letter to an English native) or an L in all cases. The biggest hurdle for Japanese natives is often making the tongue movements necessary for the "r" sound. If you want to know what this is like, try pronouncing some Welsh or Gaelic words. The same is true of Korean - it has Rs and Ls, but these are different allophones of the same phoneme, which is pronounced as an L when it's at the end of a syllable (which doesn't happen in Japanese).

*physiologically this sound does exist in American, Canadian, and Australian English but for psychological reasons sounds quite different: it's the alveolar tap used to make the quick 't' or 'd' sounds in words like "better" or "rider"; the way in which this sound is pronounced in Japanese can best be described as a "flicked R", as it requires one to rapidly flick the tongue off the roof of the mouth while pronouncing an "R" sound—think of trying to say "Prince of Prussia" but actually saying "Pdince of Pdussia"

Last edited:

Mattman324

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They could come up with something like Alrgomon I guess
That would just be even worse.

Argo is the more preeminent thing it's named after (it being Algomon is basically only relevant in the movie it was introduced in) so it's probably the better name. This isn't a Monochromon situation, they made the right choice.

Banimon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I honestly prefer Algomon to Argomon so I am a little disappointed but I can't be surprised they are sticking to dub names, what I really hope they don't change is Vritramon because if it becomes a greymon we will have a Frog the Jam situation on our hands

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I honestly prefer Algomon to Argomon so I am a little disappointed but I can't be surprised they are sticking to dub names, what I really hope they don't change is Vritramon because if it becomes a greymon we will have a Frog the Jam situation on our hands
It should be fine, hopefully, since the official site says Japanese rules take precedence - so he wont count as a Greymon as he doesn't in Japanese. so thats what you can cite if it comes up.

DemiVeemon is the only Frog the Jam that might come in this set though I think.

Banimon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I didn't even consider Chibimon/Demiveemon, at least with that case its in the digitama deck so it can't be effected by cards that search vee cards like Rina but if we ever get an effect like Ancient Greymon were it involves vee Digimon in its evolution sources we will have a ruling issue

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If they do keep the English names, maybe an easy way to get around / telegraph name problems would be to make it case sensitive since they've been using camel text. So "Burninggreymon" and "Kendogarurumon" wouldn't count as a cards with "Greymon" and "Garurumon" in their name. That or amend the cards themselves with "This Card is not treated as having "Greymon" in it's name". Not super elegant, but it beats the Red Eyes B. Chick method of amending every other card that affects Red Eyes monsters.

Last edited:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If they do keep the English names, maybe an easy way to get around / telegraph name problems would be to make it case sensitive since they've been using camel text. So "Burninggreymon" and "Kendogarurumon" wouldn't count as a cards with "Greymon" and "Garurumon" in their name. That or amend the cards themselves with "This Card is not treated as having "Greymon" in it's name". Not super elegant, but it beats the Red Eyes B. Chick method of amending every other card that affects Red Eyes monsters.
Is that how it works in this game? in Yugioh it doesnt matter and you end up with super unrelated stuff in archetypes by accident. Like how Goassmon will accidentally end up supported by the Thomas card

Like, if they make an Agumon support card thatd be trouble for non Japanese languages since... "pAGUMON". but that wouldn't actually be a problem in Japanese as Pagumon doesnt have アグモン in itm, even tho it translates to "pagumon". *that* one theyd need a species clause for I think, since there's no getting around that fact it says "agumon".

Yugioh in Japanese has cards that translate to "guardian" but arent guardian cards due to slightly different japanese, even tho it translates to guardian. this is one of those cases, unlike "burninggreymon"

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like, if they make an Agumon support card thatd be trouble for non Japanese languages since... "pAGUMON". but that wouldn't actually be a problem in Japanese as Pagumon doesnt have アグモン in itm, even tho it translates to "pagumon". *that* one theyd need a species clause for I think, since there's no getting around that fact it says "agumon".
I suspect that's one of the reasons for not going with an all-caps font since "Agumon" and "-agumon" are therefore different in an observable way.

Mattman324

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like, if they make an Agumon support card thatd be trouble for non Japanese languages since...
Agumon Hakase, that already exists. Shouldn't be able to search that specific card though.