New WtW is coming soon- Questions, thoughts, suggestions

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Me, lost, and perhaps a few familiar faces are currently working on the theme that will replace "WtW on vB" as the standard With the Will theme.

We have our ideas, but a few interesting things have come out of early discussions that I thought I'd ask you guys about.

On the postbit (the thing with your username and social icons on the left of your posts) we've come up with a few questions...

1- If we found a way to integrate Playstation Network, but it only linked to the static image Sony stores of your PS Network trophy badge, would you guys want a Playstation icon added?

2- Would you guys prefer the AIM icon use the last gen 'AIM in a bubble' (like the current AIM icon uses) or the even older 'AIM Guy', as the current AIM imagery is very bland, we would rather not use the current 'AIM font' imagery.

3- Much the same as AIM, should we use some classic Yahoo logo imagery, or the new modern logo?

4- Since we came up with the list of sites for the postbit icons have any new ones come up that we need to add?

I'm sure we will pop up with more thoughts as we design and work on stuff. I'm rather pleased with even the early work we have on this one, as without revealing what it is, I've pushed for us to go more in this direction for nearly half a decade design wise, but it's been relatively recent until there were enough examples to make showing what I wanted possible.

Please feel free and ask any questions you have, or give us any thoughts or suggestions you have also.

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My gut instinct is to ask that we not drastically transform the forum layout to a "modern" design.

Otherwise, I'm not too picky on icons for services. I do enjoy themed icons for the new topic/sticky topic and such though.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The basic 'layout' won't change heavily.

The point of modern style design is simpler and easier to use. I don't consider some of the new generation/alternate forum styles to have much to do with modern design principals minus stuff like their iconography and graphics.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Are we going to be able to switch between the current style and new one?
WtW on vB will still be an accessible theme and won't be touched until we hit a point where the theme isn't useable anymore (like if we ever switch to vB5 and the theme doesn't convert.)

Only thing that I could imagine that might change would be any images that are hardcoded into plugins if we decide to change them for the new theme.

DaRedGuy

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Will you archive the old site for viewing purposes?
Also will this new WTW also include a better verison for mobile platforms such as phones?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Will you archive the old site for viewing purposes?
Also will this new WTW also include a better verison for mobile platforms such as phones?
Since I took over WtW the site has never actually moved over and started over, we've always built on top of what we had before (for better or worse.) In fact, in WtWs history the only times it's started over is when prior staff didn't keep proper backups, which we do.

The only changes I expect for the new WtW will be visual.

We have a free upgrade to the next gen version of vB, but we don't believe it's mature enough at this point and we haven't been on the current software for even 2 years at this point (and it's still being security patched) so we will sit calmly on the current software we have.

The current mobile theme is as good as we have access to (and we are currently looking at repairing the alternate lightweight theme, which broke during a recent update.) We could look around for a premium theme to modify to fit our needs, but that would require someone to donate to cover the cost of it (as donations don't even cover the basic hosting of the site and come right out my pocket, and to be honest, I don't use the mobile themes, although I do look around for new ones for people to use.) I've found a theme or two that would be easy enough to modify for our needs, and they are relatively cheap, so if someone wants to cover it, they can get in touch with me.

If when we move to the next gen of vB dealing with mobile themes may very well become a thing of the past as many of the themes I've looked at for us to modify into a 'next gen' WtW theme actually rescale and reform live with the browser, giving the same theme full useability and visibility regardless of size, but like I said, we don't intend to update for awhile (which also gets into the truth of is the server hardware we pay for powerful enough to deal with an entirely new, and likely heavier, software package.)

The one change for mobile I do plan to do is to have the webapp code removed. It only ever worked properly on iOS and a handful of Android devices, and often forced a web browser open after a page or two of viewing anyways.

Hope this answered some questions.

Perhaps after a few more from some people I might toss up a small preview, even if not much is done so far.

Faust

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So wait... Will I Still be able to view the full site on mobile? Because I hate the actual mobile version of the site. It would also prevent me from modding as easily on the go. Everything I do in my phone browsers use the desktop version of sites.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So wait... Will I Still be able to view the full site on mobile? Because I hate the actual mobile version of the site. It would also prevent me from modding as easily on the go. Everything I do in my phone browsers use the desktop version of sites.
The theme selection will work the same as it has since we switched to vB.

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sounds good. We'll have to see what the theme actually is to pass judgment, but I'm sure you guys have put thought and effort into it.

I hate to sound unappreciative, but I'd say the PSN link would be useless. I also feel like we've covered a lot of the popular sites anyway. I won't be weighing in on the AiM (!) question.

Thanks again for everything.

Rexanimon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
2- Would you guys prefer the AIM icon use the last gen 'AIM in a bubble' (like the current AIM icon uses) or the even older 'AIM Guy', as the current AIM imagery is very bland, we would rather not use the current 'AIM font' imagery.
I don't hate the bubble but I think the AIM Guy is a better universal-symbol to use to represent AIM.

4- Since we came up with the list of sites for the postbit icons have any new ones come up that we need to add?
Tumblr and maybe Imgur since I see a lot of members using that lately to post pictures of things such as the Collectors cards.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just letting everyone know that while the bigger theme changes aren't yet happening, a few small changes have been made.

Our portal page has been updated to a new version of the software.

We also repaired the broken 'lightweight' theme for those of you who don't want to use the mobile theme or have to contend with data caps.

If anyone notices problems with these please let us know and we will fix them as soon as we can.

digiboy123

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How about adding buttons for your PSN ID and/or Nintendo ID? I see that XBox and Steam are the only ones there. Possible?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How about adding buttons for your PSN ID and/or Nintendo ID? I see that XBox and Steam are the only ones there. Possible?
We haven't had much time to work on stuff, but it's come up before. When we first discussed PSN or Nintendo, they had no front facing way to access that data.

Since we originally discussed it, Nintendo has added various web facing pages, but it's all by 'service' for them, not for the Nintendo Network as a whole. So would we just have it go to the person's Miiverse page?

Sony had added stuff, but as far as I can see, it's not specifically by 'url' which is what adding those buttons requires for us, it instead requires specific database calls, so there is no actual 'page' for us to link to. (I'll have lost double check this though, I could be wrong.)

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not sure what all will be changing, but a minor note on the current WtW on vB layout in case this aspect may transition into any coming ideas. Under user look-up on the left side column, the time displayed under Last Activity is barely readable as there's very little contrast between the font color and the background color.

Here is how it currently displays. There are numbers there for the time, but they are immensely faint. I barely noticed it being there, and there may be other users who don't notice it being there at all.
Last Activity
Today 08:19 AM

Here is the same text with a lighter gray font for comparison.
Last Activity
Today 08:19 AM