New series announced, Digimon Adventure sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcno

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It isn't working for me. It only shows "ただいま混雑しております" (Busy right now). Could it be the site is now region-locked?
I don't think so, it seems to be down again for me aswell. There was just the video that was linked on this thread and a grey and white background, with a few words saying a new series was coming I think.

Monox D. I-Fly

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder whether they will fix the plothole they made in Hunter or not.
What plotlohe? Magnamon's appearance? The Old Clock Shop Man or Clockmon could have summoned it from the past.
Or are you talking about Taichi and Daisuke being the same age at the same time? Because the Old Clock Shop man explicitly said the heroes were summoned from the past.
The plothole I meant was after Baguramon sent them back. From that experience, Taichi should have known about Daisuke as a Chosen Child, as well as a brief clue about V-mon and his strongest forms (Magnamon and Imperialdramon).

And somehow, I have a bad feeling that the one who partnered with Huckmon will be Ryo Akiyama.
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either not mention Ryō, or if you do connect it to Tamers and mention to multiverse. Having Ryō suddenly be partnered to a new Digimon and being still in the Adventure universe is unaccpetable!
That's why I said that as a bad feeling. To be honest, I could say that only because I thought Hackmon might have a parallel with Monodramon in WonderSwan games.

And the international Chosen Children. Will some of them get more screen time?
I want Michael's Betamon evolving to MetalSeadramon. :D

Also, I'm really mixed about this announcement. I know this will sound ridiculous, and you guys will proably handwave as a delusional fanboy wish, but I had a dream of someday working with Toei to write two Digimon series.
The first would be a 02 sequel set in 2003 that would be about fighting Dagomon and Demon, and would solve many plotholes of the Adventure universe. It would also show Ryō's to Tamers, partially. Part of the plot would be the fact that Ryō has disappeared and Ken is the only one who remembers he existed, and it would explain how and why Ryō went to the Tamers universe. It would also have everyone evolving to Ultimate (yes, Gomamon is Plesiomon, not Vike-notaplesiosaur-mon, and Tailmon is Holydramon), and Wallace and some of the international kids would get some importance.

The second would be an anniversary crossover that actually focuses on the multiverse and has the heroes of all the anime, manga, and games joining the "Goggle Order" to fight multiple evil factions in some kind of multidimensional war while searching for the legendary "Goggleboy of Light" of a prophecy from the ancient multiverse, who is said to be the only one that can defeat an evil Digimon that destroyed thousands of universes in ancient times and that is near to revive. The series would also solve Ryō's story.

Now, with this new series kinda gets in the way of my dream, because if I ever manage to make said series, this new one brings some problems. First, the title Digimon Adventure 03 will no longer have the same connotations of "third series" and I'll probably have to use another title. Second, I would have to account for this series and write 03 in a way that doesn't create plotholes. That said, I probably can't have Mimi joining the topfreedom movement because, assuming I manage to make 03, which I admit to be a nearly impossible dream, even if when I manage to make it the world has already accepted topfreedom, if the new series does something, like, having Mimi wearing a swimsuit that covers her breasts, or a scene where one of the boys accidentaly runs into the girls taking a bath and Mimi covers her nipples, then it would be contradicting to portray her accepting the topfreedom ideology, which deems the idea that female nipples are private parts and male's aren't as gender discrimination, if in 2015 she still acts as if she believes female breasts are private parts.
I also probably can't have everyone getting to their Ultimates if the new series has them hitting Ultimate, which it probably will, which is kind of bad because I would use 03 to reinforce Plesiomon and Holydramon.

For the crossover series, if I ever manage to make it, the idea I had in my mind was that none of the heroes aged more than one year after their series, except the Savers team, who are with their epilogue age. And due to the crossover being very inclusive, and the fact I would want consistency with everything else, I would also also have to age the protagonists of Tamers, Frontier, and V-Tamer, because the series would use the idea that time in all universes passes simultaneously, even if each universe is in a different year. Due to the V-Tamer crossovers, V-Tamer, 02, and Frontier happen at the same time, and due to Ryō in Tamers and Adventure, who would have to be aged to account the passage of time in the Adventure universe, the rest of the Tamers cast would have to also age, as well as the guys from Frontier and V-Tamer, and I really, really, don't want to have any of the heroes having to time travel to join the battle, nor use the idea that time and space are sinonymous and time travel and dimension travel are the same thing

Presumably the Tamers case would for the best as it would be less realistical if the Tamers met their Digimon only one year or less from when they got separated, and allows Ai and Makoto to have a somewhat bigger role than they could at their current age, but aging the characters also means that some of their personalities would have to be changed a bit.

I probably should only be worrying about this if I ever manage to make these series, which I already know is very highly improbable and almost, but the very fact this new seires now exists would force me to change some ideas in the future, and depending on what is mentioned as having happened in the last 3 years, would drastically limit potential plots for my intended series. For example, remember that CD drama that ended saying Jun and the others need help in the Digital World against some new enemey? My plan was for the series to pickup from that exact scene, so the first episode would be based on that and the first scene would be the Chosen going to the Digital World. Now, if the new series mentions whatever that was, I'm screwed.

This is why I was hoping it wasn't a 02 sequel, but I'm glad it isn't set in the epilogue world. Seriously, I would hate to have to include that world in my crossover, so this actually lets me happy.
Well, you could have your own thread regarding this, like my thread about my own delusional fanboy wish of making Digimon games: http://withthewill.net/threads/1418...Digimon-Game-What-Digimon-Game-Would-You-Make

And, as good as the idea of using Dagomon for this new series is, my idea would be even more screwed if they actually did it. Well, I could easily think of another villain, but due to Dagomon's connection to Millenniummon, he would be the perfect villain for a series that aims to fix the universe's plotholes, as many of them are related to the WonderSwan games.
When was it revealed?

ChibiGoku

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well. They did not outright say new series. But it pretty much sounded that way.
Actually they did. In the Japanese stream. I believe they used a different text in the English stream because next year we (well, USA) already have XW's second part, and since they don't know whether Saban will license it next year and air two series simultaneously or finish XW first, they probably didn't want to announce a new series and have us wait 3 years for it, again.
Yeah, it specifically said 新シリーズ (Shin Shiriizu / New Series), so I would imagine it'll be a regular series.

On that note... Giving it's planned "Spring 2015" date, it's possible that it could jump back to the original network. Dragon Ball Kai is scheduled out for a year, so it's possible Digimon Adventure's new series could air on Fuji TV in the Spring, too, in it's original time slot. However, on the flip side, there's nothing stopping it from premiering on TV Asahi either, but I figure for an anniversary project and Fuji TV being involved with the previous series, it would make the most sense.

Takatofan1986

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I cannot believe this and I am sooo here for this!!! Might be obvious but I gotta say, hope we at least see all of the original/02 Digidestend not just Tai, but like i said, that's probably a given, it's just that Tai is "the face" of digimon so that's who they mention.

So excited!!

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Welp, this invalidates that fan novel I've spent years on, but c'est la vie. Damn, this is exciting! I hope they don't cock it up. To the person asking about the Millenniumon/Dagomon connection, it was never outright stated, but Dagomon was one of Millenniumon's bodyguards in Tag Tamers, and it's significant that the Dark Seed sent Ken straight to Dagomon's Ocean.

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well.
Um. This... Is certainly a thing.
Honestly, I'm really looking forward to this!
I just hope they don't cock it up or recon 02 or something stupid...

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So much blessing lately. Digimon has graced us with beautiful gifts...
I have to drink my delicious tears.

AODigimon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love this! But..to be honest I would love for Tai to go on another adventure...alone, sure i wouldnt mind cameos from the others in both season 1 and 2..but i hope they give us some new characters for him to team up with

Inpu

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Welp, this invalidates that fan novel I've spent years on, but c'est la vie. Damn, this is exciting! I hope they don't cock it up. To the person asking about the Millenniumon/Dagomon connection, it was never outright stated, but Dagomon was one of Millenniumon's bodyguards in Tag Tamers, and it's significant that the Dark Seed sent Ken straight to Dagomon's Ocean.
Oh man.

Yeah, oh that sucks.

Shite.

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, as much as I love Adventure, I would have definitely preferred a new season not set the the Adventure Universe at all. Before now I always felt they should create a sequel to Adventure or Tamers, but now that it's actually happening, it kind of feels disappointed. One reason is probably because now for the next year or two(as long as this season lasts) i'm going to have to listen to thousands of fanboys going "HAHA YES THIS IS THE TRUE DIGIMON" "NOTHING WILL EVER BE AS GOOD AS THE FIRST THREE DIGIMON SEASONS" "EVERYTHING AFTER ADVENTURE SUCKS"

I just hope it's not an obvious cash grab, but considering Taichi and the others will be 17 in highschool, that means we may be getting a darker story aimed at an older audience. which should happen. If it ends up being another where they're pulled into the Digital World only to go on grand adventures like the Adventure and Xros Wars then I doubt i'll continue watching it.

TheHollowKid

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really hope they fix as many of the plot holes as possible, I also want to know why Tai and Sora got awkward.

VeemonTamer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, as much as I love Adventure, I would have definitely preferred a new season not set the the Adventure Universe at all. Before now I always felt they should create a sequel to Adventure or Tamers, but now that it's actually happening, it kind of feels disappointed. One reason is probably because now for the next year or two(as long as this season lasts) i'm going to have to listen to thousands of fanboys going "HAHA YES THIS IS THE TRUE DIGIMON" "NOTHING WILL EVER BE AS GOOD AS THE FIRST THREE DIGIMON SEASONS" "EVERYTHING AFTER ADVENTURE SUCKS"

I just hope it's not an obvious cash grab, but considering Taichi and the others will be 17 in highschool, that means we may be getting a darker story aimed at an older audience. which should happen. If it ends up being another where they're pulled into the Digital World only to go on grand adventures like the Adventure and Xros Wars then I doubt i'll continue watching it.
I said something similar today in a facebook post.
I guess this is good news for people who are the digimon equivalent to pokemon's genwunners... was really hoping for an anime based on the psp characters from digitize or cybrer sluth... but ill take what I can get ANYTHING is better than xros wars.
But yeah... So… This was the huge news huh? Gotta admit I’m not really impressed. Happy yes, but not impressed. Was really hoping that we were going to get a new anime based on the Re-digitize or Cyber Sluth characters. In my opinion they look a heck of a lot cooler than the Adventure kids and from what I’ve seen from game screen shots and whatnot their interpretation of a Digital world seems more legit than anything I have ever seen come out of Adventure. Plus the fact that the art style was done by Suzuhito Yasuda the same person who did Durarara is only a HUGE plus!

Don’t get me wrong I’m not completely disappointed I’m actually very hype but not because it’s Adventure characters but because, One it’s more digimon PERIOD and two, we can get rid of the whole digi-transformers-mon stuff Xros wars has been shoving down our throats for the past couple of years now. The fact that we are going back to the regular Digimon mechanics makes me happy as heck!
Adventure was cool and what started it all and was deep for a kids show and does have a charm to it that I like and feel nostalgic about but it’s in no way shape or form my favorite series of Digimon. As a kid it was okay. This digimon is evil “JUST BECAUSE” and the heroes are supposed to beat up the bad guys and save the world but as you get older there are a lot of grey areas that need to be addressed in between. Which is why I liked Tamers and Savers a lot more as an adult because morals deeper than trust and friendship were addressed like “is it okay to fight if these are living creatures” or “Is this guy really “evil” for doing what he THOUGHT was right”. So instead of the cliché good vs evil super hero save the world type scenario it has now become a reason vs reason type of ordeal. If this continuation of Adventure focuses more on reasoning and less on good vs evil (Which if we are dealing with older characters I don’t see why it shouldn’t) then I’ll move this series to one of my most loved but if not then I guess I just really will never like Adventure that much when compared to other seasons.

I’m just a bit carious as to how they will write the story. If Tai was 8 in adventure and it took place in 1995? And Adventure 02 took place 5 years after? I’m just trying to guess from memory at the moment I could be wrong. Then he would be 13 or 14 when he met Davis. So since he is 17 in this upcoming series then the 02 cast should be in it? Would be pretty awesome to see V-mon again! Also I would love for plotholes or plots that were never completed to be explored. I’m sure someone has already said this but the Dark Ocean really needs to be addressed. And *lol* Sora going out with Matt would love to see how Tai reacts to this throughout the series.

Over all I’m happy to see more TRUE Digimon even if they had to kick it back to adventure ( I just can’t get over how much I disliked Xros Wars’ overall feel) and if this does good hopefully we will be seeing more Digimon anime focused on other characters (and if not something new since we are on the sequel trip now Tamers please) and not more adventure stuff because I like how Digimon changes it up a bit. It’s what kept me interested. I’d hate for it to be like Pokemon which is basically the ash show. Which is why I stopped watching it.

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just wanted to point out the fact that since they're 17, we'll more than likely be getting awkward unneeded over forced love triangles. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m just a bit carious as to how they will write the story. If Tai was 8 in adventure and it took place in 1995? And Adventure 02 took place 5 years after? I’m just trying to guess from memory at the moment I could be wrong. Then he would be 13 or 14 when he met Davis. So since he is 17 in this upcoming series then the 02 cast should be in it?
The original movie took place in 1995, when Taichi was 7. The first anime series took place in 1999, when he was 11, and Adventure 02 took place in 2002, when he was 14. So this new series is as far after 02 as 02 was after the first series.

Glyptodon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
<Reads headline half-awake> That's not funny! Don't get everyone's hopes up... <two more clicks> Wait a minute; this is real...

This will either be very good or very bad. It all comes down to execution, but as long as nothing gets retconned there's plenty of cause for hope. For many years, I've said Daemon felt like a sequel-hook that never panned out. That may be about to change. Dagomon and Daemon could emerge at each other's throats, or one already having killed the other, or together in alliance, or as some unholy fusion of two in one body /*fingers crossed for that last one*/. Plenty of opportunity in any case. The tagline makes it sound like we'll be seeing more of the international cast as well.

Oh, and for the love of Baihumon, please don't bog down Adventure with grimdark or excessive romance subplots. Fanfic has done enough of that.

We've been given a rally point everyone. Let's use it.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At long last … finally, the answer to my prayers … my dream come true! … something that will make people shut up about the Hunters crossover heralding the end of the anime.

Truly one should never give up hope.

It portrays Taichi as 17 years old and in high school.
So … it’s an Adventure thing after all. (Drums fingers.) Well, at least it’s a sequel and not a remake. To be perfectly frank, while the franchise may be mired in nostalgia at present and really needs to break out of it, the only way to drum up enough support for the franchise that the producers are willing to take that risk is to start over from square one, revisit Adventure, and hopefully draw enough interest that viewers stay tuned for whatever comes next. As such, an Adventure sequel in 2015 is probably our best bet for getting something completely new in 2016.

Isn’t it amazing that, after months of bemoaning the franchise’s Adventure-shaped rut and spending the last six weeks hoping that the next series wouldn’t be Adventure-related, I then have this amazing epiphany thirty seconds after finding out that it is? And what’s worse, even though I’m fully aware that I’m rationalising this for my own peace of mind, I still honestly believe the new assertion to be objectively true! That’s how expertly my subconscious jukes cognitive dissonance. Sartre was right: there’s no such thing as real continuity of thought, nothing but emptiness between your present self and yourself from five minutes ago. It’s disgusting. Really, I’m ashamed.

I wonder whether they will fix the plothole they made in Hunter or not.
Something tells me that this is gonna retcon out 02: There has to be a catch somewhere...
Episode one: In early autumn of 2002, Taichi pushes Daisuke through a wormhole to the ×ros Wars world, where all bad sequels rightfully belong. We then proceed with the new series. Perfect!

In all honesty, if they really wanted to chuck 02, a timeline split due to the ×rosover would probably be the most serviceable explanation. Bonus: 02 fans can still console themselves with its canonicity.

Also, hope that the new series is made with keeping the series lore much more in mind, especially as regarding the Royal Knights and Homeostasis. Nostalgia series that ignore the lore fail their main task.
Nobody is nostaglic for Adventure for its desultory, slapped-together back story, much less for card lore that doesn’t even come from the series itself. If you want to do anything with the Royal Knights it should be limited to first forming the group in order to protect the Digital World. Come to think of it, if 02 isn’t retconned out of existence, that puts the Chosen in a place to be doing something like taking proactive steps to organise the Digital World and its relations with the human world after MarshMalo blew the top off the whole secret. We’ve never had a series tackle anything like that before.

Though I wonder why 3 years. Is there some kind of rule for monster franchises that any direct sequel must be set 3 years after its predecessor? Hunters, Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, and Bakugan say no, so why 3 being set in 2005 instead of 2003, which allow the name Digimon Adventure 03 to be a pun?
So that Taichi can be in his last year of high school, almost a grown-ass man. Duh.

Now, with this new series kinda gets in the way of my dream, because if I ever manage to make said series, this new one brings some problems. . . . I probably can't have Mimi joining the topfreedom movement because, assuming I manage to make 03, which I admit to be a nearly impossible dream, even if when I manage to make it the world has already accepted topfreedom, if the new series does something, like, having Mimi wearing a swimsuit that covers her breasts, or a scene where one of the boys accidentaly runs into the girls taking a bath and Mimi covers her nipples, then it would be contradicting to portray her accepting the topfreedom ideology, which deems the idea that female nipples are private parts and male's aren't as gender discrimination, if in 2015 she still acts as if she believes female breasts are private parts.
What the fuck are you talking about?

SourCandy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thinking about important plot points and how they'll effect the series.

1) Digimon will no longer be a secret and the series may revolve around a world that adapting to an entirely new sentient species and how various nations are treating them rights wise from people to pets. I assume the show will ultimately bring about how Tai becomes the Digital World's diplomat.

2) Matt/Sora & Yolei/Ken, As well as seeing T.K. and Kari's relationship and how it seemed to not go any where despite being heavily hinted at during 02.

3) Goggles, Will Tai put some on?

Status
Not open for further replies.