New Digimon Story Game Being Developed

Treble-Clef

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Glad to see it move on from Cyber Sleuth, from the interview it kinda sounded like Habu basically now considers Story and Cyber Sleuth as separate, and the next one being a STory Story could mean a return to the battle system of the previous Story, which I'm all for as the battles in Cyber Sleuth were really boring and uninspired IMO.
This doesn't make any sense to me because the battle system in previous Story titles (DS, Dusk/Dawn, etc) are basically the same as Cyber Sleuth?

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Glad to see it move on from Cyber Sleuth, from the interview it kinda sounded like Habu basically now considers Story and Cyber Sleuth as separate, and the next one being a STory Story could mean a return to the battle system of the previous Story, which I'm all for as the battles in Cyber Sleuth were really boring and uninspired IMO.
This doesn't make any sense to me because the battle system in previous Story titles (DS, Dusk/Dawn, etc) are basically the same as Cyber Sleuth?
I thought at first that the only difference was the number of slots (5 DS games vs 3 Cyber Sleuth), so I asked the same question weeks ago by Twitter and this was the response:
The slot system in itself adds a lot of depth just due to how many different types of attacks it allows and formations to adapt to these as well as using support skills to make Digimon Support each other.
The old system also had moves&attacks that affected stats and resistances.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
it's WAY different, the only similarity with the DS gameplay is just the stacking turn, scanning, and the digimon changing.

Neilandio

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope they keep the grown up character style that Cyber Sleuth and Next Order introduced. It seems to be necessary for success in the west.

Chiefofwar117

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yay!! I hope this means a next gen only game that is really high quality and open detailed worlds/environments. I would love a digivolution mechanic similar to Digimon masters where you can digivolve as long as you have met initial requirements and then digivolve freely back and forth as long as you still have enough in your energy gauge.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought at first that the only difference was the number of slots (5 DS games vs 3 Cyber Sleuth), so I asked the same question weeks ago by Twitter and this was the response:
The slot system in itself adds a lot of depth just due to how many different types of attacks it allows and formations to adapt to these as well as using support skills to make Digimon Support each other.
I was always too lazy to change slots and I beat the game loads of times. It wasn't really needed at all. It'd matter for online only I would think.

Digimon'sDigitalWill

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am intrigued by his mindset. He seems interested in filling up the evolution lines. So, I guess we might see the next few games focusing on different Digimon Groups. Either way, I would like most of Lost Evolution's Roster: Digimon Souvereigns/Holy Beasts and 10 Ancient Digimon/Warriors. A full Deva Evolution Lines would be really cool too, but then may be some groups are left for an anime.

WiiU0706

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whatever this game is i hope that it comes to the Nintendo Switch

Rohan

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gah, the only problem with announcing it so early is that we're probably not going to see any details for it while HM is still in progress. T_T

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gah, the only problem with announcing it so early is that we're probably not going to see any details for it while HM is still in progress. T_T
That'd be a bad idea because it would overshadow HM. I'd wait at least 6 months till HM is done and even then only if that game is due out within the 6 months after that too.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was always too lazy to change slots and I beat the game loads of times. It wasn't really needed at all. It'd matter for online only I would think.
but remember, it affects the enemy too. I remember having digimon who only had fixed range, but the enemies appeared far from others. And I wasted my MP just for such a wasted attack. I think it's a good feature, as it challenges the players to use digimon with not just high power, but also suitable range target. That's why I didn't choose MegaSeadramon team in Sunburst, coz Thunder Javelin sucks...

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope that this new game will add a fighting arena. I want to see which Digimon Vaccine Mega sword is stronger, Ouryumon or Durandamon. I know Jesmon will beat both because Jesmon is a Data type, but it is Vaccine vs Vaccine. I also hope that they have added the sub-species. I always been a big fan of Tsukaimon.

On the other hand, I will buy a PS4 when this comes out, if I can get money built up to get one. I hope they continue to do some type of story mode like Cyber Sleuth, but I like to see a different type of story, with new characters and new Digimon in the game, not the same old Digimon that we all know of.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope that this new game will add a fighting arena. I want to see which Digimon Vaccine Mega sword is stronger, Ouryumon or Durandamon. I know Jesmon will beat both because Jesmon is a Data type, but it is Vaccine vs Vaccine. I also hope that they have added the sub-species. I always been a big fan of Tsukaimon.

On the other hand, I will buy a PS4 when this comes out, if I can get money built up to get one. I hope they continue to do some type of story mode like Cyber Sleuth, but I like to see a different type of story, with new characters and new Digimon in the game, not the same old Digimon that we all know of.
Cyber Sleuth, Next Order and HM all added new Digimon

Idiysar Almond

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wish someday there's a Digimon game where we control the Digimon, able to fly, open world, able to use techniques in open world, destroy obstacles with it, wear viewable armor & weapons, etc.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They kinda made that already in Digimon World X (4). And a little bit of it in the story mode of Digimon All-Star Rumble.

Those weren't exactly great games, though. I doubt we'll ever get a proper Character Action Game starring Digimon. I mean, I don't think even Pokemon has one of those. It's just not how the collect-a-mon genre works.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, though talking about DW4 I wish for more generic hack and slash rpg take of that game rather than Rogue-like genre.

Idiysar Almond

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My problem with World 4/X is how we're forced to use weapons instead of it being optional. Also how there's totally no signature tech for each Digimon, making you question whether an Alphamon you use is really an Alphamon or just the model. Jumping is also used to move, no jump slash or breathing fire while jumping. The armors also aren't visible, though given how some Digimon are different Digimon already by just giving some new weapon + some accessories/color change (looking at Blast Mode and Paladin Mode), i think making the armor visible would change a Digimon too much.

Hmm..never played all star rumble, seen some videos of it, but not the story mode, might see it later.

Only have played gen III and gen V pokemon mystery dungeon. Yeah it's an open world, but during battle, it's still a turn based game but kinda like chess. The open world itself isn't as free like in GTA either.

Why wouldn't they make something like that by the way? Has there been a monster franchise tried that and failed horribly?

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All Star Rumble story mode is... below average. It lasts around 2 hours for each dude but the levels are all the same each time so you get bored after a few dudes. The final lveel is also ridiculously hard, I would always die at the end to the team of EBEmon, two Grilliamon and a bunch of Goblimon in a short corrdioor, even when digivolving. There's litlel space to space so you just get gang killed.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My problem with World 4/X is how we're forced to use weapons instead of it being optional. Also how there's totally no signature tech for each Digimon, making you question whether an Alphamon you use is really an Alphamon or just the model. Jumping is also used to move, no jump slash or breathing fire while jumping. The armors also aren't visible, though given how some Digimon are different Digimon already by just giving some new weapon + some accessories/color change (looking at Blast Mode and Paladin Mode), i think making the armor visible would change a Digimon too much.

Hmm..never played all star rumble, seen some videos of it, but not the story mode, might see it later.
Right. That's kinda my point. They aren't good games.

Why wouldn't they make something like that by the way? Has there been a monster franchise tried that and failed horribly?
Collecting hundreds of different monsters and creating really in-depth free-movement character action skillsets/combo styles are kind of inherently opposed.

If you have tons of characters, then it becomes increasingly difficult to make each one's playstyle different, not to mention $$$costly$$$. Even if they shell out the cash for it, then you run the problem of not being able to learn a bunch of different characters' intricate playstyles so all that hard work has gone to waste.

If you go the other route and make the playstyles LESS intricate, then all of the characters become too same-y or too dull to have bothered making a character action game. It basically becomes a beat-em-up, which is kinda what Digimon World X (4) ended up being.

And it sucked.

And that's not getting into how character action games wouldn't have a good way to incorporate what is arguably Digimon's strongest selling point: evolution.

Newer and bigger forms just do not play well with the intricate animations and fighting game physics that character action games promote. No matter how evolution is implemented, it's going to come off as clunky.

Either every new form is basically a new character, forcing the player to learn like 5 styles just to play a single character.

Or else each new has to use the same style as the previous form except on a larger scale... so all of the timing and combos you learned for the earlier forms no longer applies.

OR they have to play exactly the same but now none of the physics line up with the animations. Pick your poison.

If you can think of a solution for any of these problems, I'd love to hear 'em though!

Last edited:

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Only have played gen III and gen V pokemon mystery dungeon. Yeah it's an open world, but during battle, it's still a turn based game but kinda like chess. The open world itself isn't as free like in GTA either.

IIRC there was a similar style with Bakugan games, the DS' New Vestroia one was a TPS action game. It's good, but you can't do it in digimon. The characters are only protagonist team and main villain team (each character represent one element), total playable bakugans are 12 (each one has one evolution, but drago and helios has one more special form like in the anime). After that they never make any bakugan games anymore IIRC.

Trust me, digimon and action games aren't compatible.