MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A nice pre-Hacker's Memory surprise!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

In a new interview, Producer Habu goes over a few recent Digimon game related details, such as the PS4 ports being made for an international audience, but he also brings up that a new 'non' Cyber Sleuth Digimon Story game is being made.

Perhaps even more interesting, based on what he says, it appears this title might have been begun development before Hacker's Memory (or at least roughly concurrent.)

It appears part of Hacker's Memory being produced was that the new title would take a longer period of time to make, and they wanted to make sure Digimon fans would have a new game to play without an extended wait time, or as he puts it "not dampening the fans’ enthusiasm."

Exciting news to have the next game confirmed (even if details are slim) before the current one is even out!

How's everyone feel about it sounding like the next game will move on from Cyber Sleuth?

If you want to import the Japanese release of Hacker's Memory it comes out on December 14th. (Affiliate Links)
PS4
PS4 Limited Edition
Vita
Vita Limited Edition

The game is currently scheduled for release in the US and the rest of the world on January 19th.

It's currently up for pre-order at Amazon (affiliate link.)

Thanks to 4gamer and Gematsu for the info.

shaikgb

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
is sounds really good if they telling us they making a now game before they release hacker memory i hope they will add a lot of new mons

saifors

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Glad to see it move on from Cyber Sleuth, from the interview it kinda sounded like Habu basically now considers Story and Cyber Sleuth as separate, and the next one being a STory Story could mean a return to the battle system of the previous Story, which I'm all for as the battles in Cyber Sleuth were really boring and uninspired IMO.

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The future is looking up. Add 100-150 new dudes and we're reet.

HM can help fund it too.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is excellent news! And it'll be nice to have something to point to when people are "the Digimon franchise is dead...!" Don't worry, guys, looks like we're safe for another year.

It'll be interesting to see what form the Digimon Story series takes from here though. There's really only been two engines made for it over the course of 6 games. I wonder if it will take a radically new approach to turn-based combat? Maybe it'll give us some really cool new evolution mechanic? Maybe it'll be Appmon- and Tri-focused? So many possibilities.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sweeeeeeeet! Love Cyber Sleuth, but it really does feel like they already told the big story they wanted to. Hopefully the next one will a bigger digital world focus. More importantly, but much less likely, I hope that it's being developed directly for the PS4. A much larger, higher quality game would be great.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Happy to hear about this. I wonder how it will be. Haven't been able to play the other games.

Rosa

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sweeeeeeeet! Love Cyber Sleuth, but it really does feel like they already told the big story they wanted to. Hopefully the next one will a bigger digital world focus. More importantly, but much less likely, I hope that it's being developed directly for the PS4. A much larger, higher quality game would be great.

If you are waiting for a new "World" game, wont happen, apparently last world game was next 0rder so the cyber space thing seems to be more attractive they even used it for appmon but who know, maybe they will just globalize both story and world games in one single game, i mean DIGIMON WORLD 3 is a Story game like modern ones, same with data squad etc.

I really hope the next game is based on xros wars, the game on DS was very very fun, shame, was released only in japan and well on DS...

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As much as I love the Cyber Sleuth series, I'm ready for Hacker's Memory to bring it to a close and move on with brand new ideas.

I must confess that I haven't played any of the older Story games, so I'm real excited to see what they make next.

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

They were saying that they're dropping Vita to focus on PS4 and that HM is only on Vita because the first one was and they didnt wanna leave Vita players behind for that

This is excellent news! And it'll be nice to have something to point to when people are "the Digimon franchise is dead...!" Don't worry, guys, looks like we're safe for another year.

It'll be interesting to see what form the Digimon Story series takes from here though. There's really only been two engines made for it over the course of 6 games. I wonder if it will take a radically new approach to turn-based combat? Maybe it'll give us some really cool new evolution mechanic? Maybe it'll be Appmon- and Tri-focused? So many possibilities.

He mentuioned wanting a Olympus XII game, so it's probably that

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m excited for another game, but I really want it to be handheld. Oh well...

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I doubt we'll be seeing another handheld Digimon game for a long time... After the abyssmal sales of the 3DS Appmon game, it's pretty clear that Pokemon and Yo-Kai Watch have saturated the handheld monster-collection genre.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It seems promising... I guess with him talking about the the potential development of a PS4 based engine maybe this game could be that. Honestly I've been waiting for a game that goes beyond the limitations of handheld gaming but even then I'm not sure how Next Gen I would expect such a Digimon game to be; I don't really expect them to not stick to the Cyber Sleuth models but I guess we'll see. I have kind of mixed feelings about it being another Digimon Story game.. they are nice but gameplay wise not exactly innovative and I'd love them to try out some new things. But who knows maybe with that title they could expand the Story series to some genres beyond generic JRPGs and mix things up like the earlier world games did. I would for example absolutely welcome a Digimon Grand Strategy First Person Open World Roguelike Dating Sim.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I doubt we'll be seeing another handheld Digimon game for a long time... After the abyssmal sales of the 3DS Appmon game, it's pretty clear that Pokemon and Yo-Kai Watch have saturated the handheld monster-collection genre.
I mean, I’m not going to disagree that the handheld market is oversaturated, but I also think these kinds of games are really poorly suited to home consoles. I also just generally dislike the general shift away from handheld gaming, but that’s a whole other issue!

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm hella down. I liked Cyber Sleuth, and Hacker's Memory looks amazing, so a fresh entry is nice.

That said, I doubt it'll be on the Vita this time around, which makes me sad.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
as long as representative people like Habumon still contribute to the franchise, Digimon is way far from being dead.

That aside, I hope someone translated fully the interview, it's very interesting to read!!!! Things like how Habumon see the digimon itself, the way fans are supporting the franchise, and how he would like to implement such interesting features in the future, and how he considers the other digimon series like XW which whether it's possible to implement the system exclusively to the next series while still can keep the original one.

As Habumon said before on twitter, I guess he's considering on improving the battlefield of digimon story (I hope this means he can bring back the DS 5 zone battlefield or even improving it further) and making mode changes as one species instead of being separated into 2 or 3 rosters.

I really hope they can increase more complexity and increase more "digimon-ness" of the digimon story series. I feel that gameplay-wise Cyber Sleuth is a little far from what Digimon Story was. The players can't even feel the relationships made with their digimon partners at all, what they focus really much is the story aspect. I'm glad he made Hacker's Memory to focus more on the hackers' aspect instead of the original one's second half story which focused too much on Royal Knights while the hackers' were completely forgotten (as said on the interview).

Ahh, how can I sincerely praise God Habumon more? He's more than just savior for the digimon franchise

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Heh. If Digimon could get a 'mon game on the Switch before Nintendo or Yokai Watch do, it might actually be able to get some attention.

kintang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My only hope that it'll be filled with X-Antibody roster. They need moar love y'all!