New Digimon series is Digimon Adventure Ψ

DigitalJex

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The emotional response of the fanbase is very interesting to me. I've seen comments about feeling fatigued over the Adventure story line while calling for something new and different. However, no Digimon season has been particularly well received since Tamers, with each new concept introduced in following seasons being met with irritation and calling out for "bring Adventure back!".

I've been in panels at conventions where people did not even know Digimon had season's past Frontier. It must put Bandai in a rough position trying to continuously grow their concepts when viewers primarily care about the first three seasons.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...I actually kind of liked Savers. That was a fun and different idea. Xros Wars? ...You may have it there but there were ideas. Appmon was a fun idea that really tried.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The emotional response of the fanbase is very interesting to me. I've seen comments about feeling fatigued over the Adventure story line while calling for something new and different. However, no Digimon season has been particularly well received since Tamers, with each new concept introduced in following seasons being met with irritation and calling out for "bring Adventure back!".

I've been in panels at conventions where people did not even know Digimon had season's past Frontier. It must put Bandai in a rough position trying to continuously grow their concepts when viewers primarily care about the first three seasons.

In fact, Tamer doesn't seem so popular (in Japan at least). The Digimon Tamers Blu-ray box that included a CD drama with a new story sold 33% less than Digimon Adventure 02 Blu-ray box (which in turn sold less than Digimon Adventure Blu-ray box).

That's probably the reason Toei doesn't want to continue that story of Tamer even when Konaka presented the idea.

Last edited:

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thinking on it, I wonder if this could be a further reaction to Tri. Tri has all the characters older and looking at their lives with Digimon through a more mature lens. People's (over)reactions were less than favorable to Tri, so through good ol' entertainment industry logic, they think maybe aging them was the problem. Now we have Kizuna with the premise of them being too old and a new series with them reset to their original ages.

Not necessarily true, but funny to think about.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thinking on it, I wonder if this could be a further reaction to Tri. Tri has all the characters older and looking at their lives with Digimon through a more mature lens. People's (over)reactions were less than favorable to Tri, so through good ol' entertainment industry logic, they think maybe aging them was the problem. Now we have Kizuna with the premise of them being too old and a new series with them reset to their original ages.

I really doubt that is the reason.

There are people who complaint about Tri, but Tri was still a success.

The reason why Adventure digidestined are kids in Adventure 2020 is because they want to attract new young audience (that's why this is a reboot too).

Older fans are a secondary audience for Adventure 2020. The main target of this anime would be kids.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I really doubt that is the reason.

There are people who complaint about Tri, but Tri was still a success.

The reason why Adventure digidestined are kids in Adventure 2020 is because they want to attract new young audience (that's why this is a reboot too).

Older fans are a secondary audience for Adventure 2020. The main target of this anime would be kids.
It's basically killing two birds with one stone. Get the kids interested in the original cast with a new reboot, whilst also advertising to the current adults that are the main fan base. Then with the kids now liking the OG cast, Toei can now get new fans for the next 20+ years lol, and simultaneously advertise to both sets of fans. They can sell cheaper products to the kids, and more expensive products to the adults.

they'll probably do it again in 20 years and convert even more kids this same way, etc.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That... Sounds so believable. No. Probably very true to this pattern...

Okay I better endure this pattern where it might bring a ton of new subspecies that I won't dare to mention.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That... Sounds so believable. No. Probably very true to this pattern...

Okay I better endure this pattern where it might bring a ton of new subspecies that I won't dare to mention.
Lol!, but muur nailed it, hopefully it's TRUE.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"True"... Yeah right... The human lifespans. We won't able to confirm this next 20+ years pattern of that rebooting/baiting to sell methods within our entire life for sure. Unless if there is a future Digimon fan popped out of nowhere to post here, THIS WithTheWill forum to just tell us, he was completely right about it from the 80+ years later/past. Don't forget, we may reached within almost 20+ years and it's just we only have one reboot for this Adventure series. I mean it's not like DC/Marvel with infinite stories birthed from their comics. If Monster Rancher and Medabots actually survived within so many years to just announce new games from their hibernation so it means it's not like Digimon is done for. One reboot won't... Hurt. Although CG is kinda... Well whatever.

(Admittedly Blu ray quality and HD flat screen TV are so amazing so the reboot with high hi quality of "Digital Magical Girl Transformation" will be ever damned good for sure!) So why all panic with this one reboot? I know I'm nervous.

Hope it will stay faithfully to the original Adventure or give so many surprises is good way too.

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm just happy we're getting more Digimon in an era where it looked like the franchise was dying off. I hope this revives the brand.

VanChizzle

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly a little surprised that they're coming out with another Adventure series so soon after Kizuna. Kinda makes the "last evolution" ring hollow in a way... Bandai isn't even trying to pretend anymore that they're not milking everything they can out of the Adventure nostalgia at this point.

That being said, I'll still watch it because it's Digimon and I'll be interested to see where this new series takes the franchise going forward. IMO it's definitely a good sign that they're delving back into the anime side of things. Although I will say that I appreciated Digimon for the fact that it had never rebooted any of its properties before... until now it seems.

Gotta wonder if this now means that other series are on the table for reboots too.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gotta wonder if this now means that other series are on the table for reboots too.
If Toei thinks it'll make money, then it's on the table.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey, someone has always wanted to do anything more from Tamers. So... It could work.

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey, someone has always wanted to do anything more from Tamers. So... It could work.
It would be kind of interesting to see a Tamers reboot that’s fits it into the Digimon Adventure universe tbh

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Or a Tamers reboot that uses the brand new TCG as its basis.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That would be the only reason I'd get a card deck. To use in the D-ARCs.

KoushiroIZZYIzumi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm a bit surprised by this move........

.......but, then again, I shouldn't be considering the trend of HD remakes done on older anime shows. (e.g: Hunter x Hunter, Kino's Journey, Initial D).

This.^

Everybody else is questioning the thinking at Toei of "another Adventure-related anime". The quote above explains that thinking. We're not the primary target audience of this.

It's going to be a reboot of Adventure in which most, if not all of the voicing cast will be new, with a story set present day.

I have a feeling there will be stories and episodes similar to the original Adventure with a more contemporary setting.

a reboot could catch the eyes of American channels and convince them to give a shot to Digimon again.
I'm afraid that, without a dedicated cartoon block on over-the-air broadcast channels, a Digimon reboot (or any new, kid-oriented anime for that matter) isn't likely to succeed in the U.S.

Ricardolindo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't like this idea. Toei focuses way too much on Adventure, IMO, it’s time to stop. A Tamers or Frontier sequel or remake/reboot would be much better, IMO.

VanChizzle

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure getting tossed into the recycler is really odd. I doubt the animation costs are as steep as they were before Digimon became established but rehashing a story arc that has been done to the fringes of burning out seems risky. I mean, they could do another season of Tamers and it will be a hit with less risk of saturating the market.
By this, do you mean Adventure's story specifically...?