New Digimon series is Digimon Adventure Ψ

KoreeluStromboli

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And it looks like it will have traditional evolutionary levels, something we haven't had since Savers. I'll watch it just in principle alone.
this is one reason why im kinda happy with it tbh lol. they ignore levels way too often, and hopefully we can just have a nice simple normal level thing like data squad. Tri DOES use normal levels, so i count that also, but since everyone has megas from day one, it matters a little less.

I think the main thing that can come from this is some of the monsters of the day could be some lesser known Digimon that can become more popular as a result of it.

Personally, I want Iguneetmon to be a monster of the day.

Last edited:

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My wishlist for the themes of the new forms:
* Agumon - Heroic Tyranomon line. Full stop. Unlikely, I know, but after two or three Greymon evolution lines, I'm kind of sick of Greymon and calling back to the original plan for the series of Tyranomon being the main character would be great.

* Gabumon - Keep the reptile/mammal hybrid nature and have stuff like wolf lizards or wolf snakes. Or transitionary prehistoric animals like therapsids, gorgonopsids, and early monotremes.

* Piyomon - We have yet to have a bird lady line in the vein of Harpymon, AncientIrismon, and Shutumon's designs so something like that. Alternatively, more and more impressive parrots ending in a Scarlet Macaw ultimate.

* Tentomon - I'd actually like it to stay a ladybug and become Kamen Rider-esque in the vein of Stingmon and MetallifeKuwagamon.

* Palmon - Giant monster plants in the vein of Blossomon, Fairy plant Digimon have already had two series.

* Gomamon - Make Plesiomon canon again! Even if it's a new version of Plesiomon (like "Elasmomon" or something). Do the whole line on prehistoric sea dwellers. Ammonites. Trilobite. Dunkleosteus. Icthyosaurus. Mosasaurus. Plesiosauroids.

* Patamon - Go with the horse theme they had in the original Digital Monster with Unimon. They dipped a toe into it with Pegasmon but I want them to go full on sacred steed, godly chariot.

* Tailmon - Not sure what to do here. With Nefertimon and Ophanimon, Tailmon's evolutions have already been fiddled with quite a bit and even Meicoomon is technically part of the same evolution line. I guess they could go into the direction of Sanzomon and do non-western holy figures instead of Abrahamic ones. You could build on the Nefertimon theme and do a proper Bastet or Sekhmet instead of the Japanese Nekomata that the current Bastemon is, I guess.

Last edited:

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, that reminds me. If they're going reboot, ignoring previous canon, I wanna see Meiko with the group. They even still have Rasielmon to use.

Flamon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure getting tossed into the recycler is really odd. I doubt the animation costs are as steep as they were before Digimon became established but rehashing a story arc that has been done to the fringes of burning out seems risky. I mean, they could do another season of Tamers and it will be a hit with less risk of saturating the market.

Touya

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There will be a new Digimon trading card game in Spring 2020 to follow with the show.
I've been thinking on this, and Bandai trying to do a new Digimon card game in Spring suggests to me that they smell blood in the water.

Consider: the Appmon card game only lasted three sets before bombing, but Bandai's Digimon x Battle Spirits crossovers helped save Battle Spirits, which was previously on life support and very close to being discontinued. The Appmon TCG should have been a recipe for success--it had mechanics that rang familiar to old players of Hyper Colosseum, and the nostalgic War Greymon/Metal Garurumon lines, but featured a new cast that could appeal to the kids watching Appmon. In theory that could have contributed to an environment where veteran fans were helping bring new players in and learn the rules, but in practice the game didn't take with children and the Agumon/Gabumon milking wasn't enough to bring in a significant number of old fans. Meanwhile the (already released) Battle Spirits sets were themed after Adventure, Tri, and Tamers, and each of them were financially successful enough to merit another one. (Granted that BatoSupi also had over a decade of organized play to prop it up. Some of the card shops hosting locals for the game have been doing so since 2008.) In the end, there are more Digimon Battle Spirits expansions printed than Appmon expansions.

The Japanese TCG market right now is in a state of flux. Bushiroad, previously one of the dominant manufacturers in the industry, is in a position of vulnerability after a long string of both domestic and international failures. Since 2017 they've seen Monster Collection, Luck & Logic, Dragoborne, and ChaOS (one of their longest-running properties) all die in succession, and their new TCG franchise Rebirth For You has been largely condemned both in and out of Japan because it's another anime crossover TCG like their existing Weiss Schwarz. They're currently stuck in a contract that obligates them to create Dominator, a new crowdfunded IP they snatched up from Force of Will co. back in 2018, and basically everyone expects Rebirth to die in a year or two because it's barely gained any traction on social media and the accompanying anime isn't at all popular. Of their other TCGs Weiss Schwarz and Cardfight!! Vanguard are performing the strongest, but Vanguard has no long-term gameplan beyond milking nostalgia for its earlier seasons (sound familiar?) and Weiss is about to see its demographic divided between it and Rebirth. Meanwhile Future Card Buddyfight is on deathwatch, kept barely alive by crossover sets with the likes of Detective Conan, Gridman, and Sword Art Online. Moreover, Bushiroad's organized play is despised worldwide for going back to best-of-one games per round after several years of having best-of-three tournament matches like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Duel Masters.

Of the "big" games, Pokémon this past year saw a sudden surge in popularity that bumped it up from a top 15 game to a serious contender for the biggest money-maker in the Japanese hobby market, largely thanks to big-name Japanese YouTubers getting into it. Magic: The Gathering hasn't been mainstream for Japan since Duel Masters launched as Wizards of the Coast's market-equivalent game, but the War of the Spark expansion's Japan-exclusive alternate artworks for the Planeswalkers did wonders for it. That and the recent launch of the Duel Masters mobile app is turning WotC into the dominant manufacturer, usurping that place from Konami, whose Yu-Gi-Oh! property had a huge boom followed by an even bigger crash as a ton of lapsed fans got back into the game through Duel Links only to be immediately alienated by the new mechanics in the tabletop game and leave it for other TCGs. Konami had ramped up production of new expansions in anticipation of the boom, but now has to deal with their overproduced stock not being bought by players because their mobage didn't translate to more tabletop sales, it translated to more people playing their competitors' games.

So we have The Pokémon Company and WotC as the top dogs, while Konami and Bushiroad are both struggling to retain their audience and wasting resources on overproducing product that's going to sit on shelves and strain relations with retailers, wholesalers, and collectors. This is a complete reversal from 2012-2015, when Bushiroad and Konami were fighting each other for first place and timing expansions to try and force their overlapping audiences to invest in their game rather than their competitors'. With a lot of recently-lapsed Yu-Gi-Oh!, Vanguard, Buddyfight, and soon Rebirth/Weiss players, all looking for another game to play...a new Digimon card game could swoop in and steal those players away, which combined with the already-popular Dragon Ball Super TCG and restored Battle Spirits, would give Bandai a nice chunk of the market. They could basically seize Bushiroad's place in the new world order by capitalizing on this moment of weakness, before Dominator comes out and renews a lot of players' faith in Bushi. (Dominator is pretty highly anticipated because it's directly created by one of the industry's top independent designers.)

And on top of this, the CEO of Card Kingdom (Japan's biggest hobby chain) recently said that the age of your average TCG player is increasing for the big names rather than decreasing, with Duel Masters players skewing closer to 20, YGO to 25, and Pokémon to 30. If the new Adventure series is primarily targeted at the kids its timeslot would suggest, this TCG could have the lower end of the age scale basically to itself, and be "the" game for younger gen Z TCG players as they get into the hobby. Tying it to the Adventure property allows Bandai to take advantage of the same factors that made the Battle Spirits crossover sets a success, and maybe create that "veterans bringing in newcomers" paradigm that the Appmon TCG failed to.

Granted, that's only if the new Digimon card game is actually good. If they don't modernize the game rules at all, it'll just be another Appmon TCG. No more obscure terminology, no more game mechanics tied to elements written on the playmat like the point gauge/score. (That only gets in the way of using ever-popular custom playmats.) Modern TCGs need to simplify and use more universal terms to bring neophytes in--deck, discard pile/trash, HP, that kind of thing. Art direction and card layout are just as important as a game's rules, today's post-Vanguard players have come to expect an artwork-focused layout akin to Fire Emblem Cipher or Dragon Ball Super's template. Pulling a Final Fantasy and filling the cards with stock art isn't an option either; to thrive in this market you need to commission individual pieces from skilled illustrators like DaisukeIzuka, lack, and NINNIN, and if the big names aren't an option then scout your own off Pixiv. Even small games like Wixoss can do that much.

If Bandai has learned from their success in pulling players from other games with DBS, and from their failure with the Appmon TCG, then the new card game could be the most unexpected plus to come out of all this. And if not, well...see you in three more years?

...oh, and there's another Adventure anime too. Eh.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not a fan of revisiting Adventure so much but oh well.

All I want out of this is a fun cartoony artstyle, it doesnt have to be like the original or done by the same designer but I'm just tired of Tri and Kizuna doing more realistic proportioned characters. (Even though I liked their art styles.)

New Digimon so its surprising. Part of the fun of Digimon is seeing what they'll turn into next. We've already seen these Digimon so much. Kizuna kind of gives me hope because it looks like we have a weird new Garurumon and Greymon.

Just a fun story that has more new story for the same reason. If it's a reboot rehashing the same plot would be really boring.

Not awful animation.

Theres been so much great fan art and merchandise with different art styles lately. I just hope it's fun and somewhat fresh thst gives me the same feeling. I dont think it's a lot to ask for. But its Toei so...

Last edited:

Spongebond

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm excited for a traditional Digimon show. I just did not have a feel for the Appmon concept. Especially if it is a 52 episode anime. The amount of development characters that are not Taichi or Yamato can experience is super exciying.

Hikarix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why does everyone assume it will be a reboot? 5th grade Tai perfectly fits btw Adventure S1 and S2. If Toei really wanted one, they would've done that from the start instead of TRI and Last Kizuna, especially while most of us growing up hated the ending. Would've given them more opportunities too instead of being a laughing stock.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why does everyone assume it will be a reboot? 5th grade Tai perfectly fits btw Adventure S1 and S2. If Toei really wanted one, they would've done that from the start instead of TRI and Last Kizuna, especially while most of us growing up hated the ending. Would've given them more opportunities too instead of being a laughing stock.

It says Taichi and others will have new digivice. That doesn't fit between Adventure S1 and S2.

Tri and Last Kizuna try to appeal older fans, that's why a reboot isn't so convenient for that (as it would be unnecessarily divisive between older fans). I don't know what do you mean with "laughing stock", Tri was succesful and we still don't know how Last Kizuna will result.

In PSI, Taichi is in 5th grade, so Toei likely wants to appeal new young audience with this new anime (older fans are a secondary audience this time). A reboot will be more convenient for that.

Last edited:

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess it’s theoretically possible that they could lose the new digivices and the evolutions that come with them at the end of the series (à la Frontier​), but that would be mad stupid even without the practical continuity holes that would be left by having a whole adventure that just never wound up bearing on the events of 02, Tri or Last Evolution. I think we can reasonably expect a reboot.

* Agumon - Heroic Tyranomon line. Full stop.
Get. Although, you know, it just occurred to me that if a show wanted to be really edgy they could use the fact that the savage, generally villainous Metal Tyrannomon is both iconic and the obvious parallel to Metal Greymon to explore one of the oldest tropes in the franchise: the dark evolution. This franchise has always treated dark evolutions — particularly those analogous to Skull Greymon in the narrative, like Megidramon or Ruin Mode — as undoable aberrations, antitheses to the digimon’s ‘true’, good evolution. The dark evolution gets its ass kicked or runs out of energy, reverts to an earlier form, and after its partner learns a valuable lesson and repairs the damaged relationship, the digimon evolves again to its good form.

But what if that weren’t the case? Partner evolution is supposed to reflect personal growth, and in real life, people who go down a dark path don’t always back out of it and do a heel–face turn. Sometimes people becoming a little more aggressive, pessimistic, or antisocial is inevitable; sometimes it even serves a valuable purpose as they learn to channel those feelings into something positive. In any case, it’s usually something that people live with and only grow out of gradually.

Imagine how cool it would be if that was the fate of the main character and his digimon after unlocking a new evolution at a point when their character arc was taking a more negative turn. Granted, Metal Tyrannomon couldn’t be stuck as a savage berserker like Skull Greymon; it would have to be much more moderate, at least after the first few times accessing that form. But imagine if this was used as a lesson that trauma and negative experiences aren’t easily undone, despite peoples’ best wishes. That’s territory that I don’t think the franchise’s evolution gimmick has explored before. And you could either have the character gradually learn to move past the trauma, returning to a more benevolent-looking data-type ultimate; or you could have him learn to accept the trauma as part of himself, learn to channel his aggression or whatever productively, and proceed for the rest of the line with a more savage, virus-type design.

Last edited:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why does everyone assume it will be a reboot? 5th grade Tai perfectly fits btw Adventure S1 and S2.
Because reboot is simply the most likely outcome based on the information we have, with the potential meaning of Ψ, the mention of new Digivices, etc.
But only likely, and not guaranteed (and personally I'm holding back my big ranty essay about the potential and pitfalls of a Adventure reboot until we know if it actually is one...)
Anyway, a reboot makes the most sense because continuity-wise fifth grade only fits if they are prepared to be boring.

They can't take the characters in any interesting directions because 02 portrays them as "still basically the same with a few token exceptions" (At least with tri/Kizuna the distance of the epilogue gave them a bit of leeway)
They can't have any bigger public incidents with Digimon in the real world, because in 02 still no one knew about them.
They can't feature Omegamon before OWG and you just know the franchise won't do anything without Omegamon these days.
They are simply stuck between masses of continuity that so far has basically implied that nothing of importance has really happened.

So an "interquel" would either condemn the narrative be deliberately to inconsequential drivel or necessitate massive retcons, and at that point you might as well start fresh. But nothing would stop them from trying and probably failing horribly, which would be a shame but it's possible.

Hikarix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hm, but might just be a morden 1:1 remake. Repeat could mean the same thing all over again. While yes, Tri and Kizuna was for adults, most adults and the fandom still would've prefered a reboot. Especially the casual fans. I rmbr how many fans hated and were offended by the 02 ending, even now it's widely disliked and many ppl keep hoping for reboot instead. Toei knows this. It was even and still is unpopular within the japanese audience. No one asked for Tri or Last Kizuna. It would've been a win-win business wise for both the young, in the sense of gaining new fans and the adult audience, in the sense of calming the fandom. But instead Toei kept pushing the we are moving towards the epilogue instead of a reboot.

While yes Tri was kinda successful, a nostalgic reboot would have been even more. Just look at Code Geass AU movie. It was a huge success and a lot of fans were happier with that than with the anime ending. As for Tri, the plots were a mess and the 02 ending always at the back. Most of the dramatic and tear wrecking tropes didn't work (hence why I said, laughing stock) out and come of as cash grabbing and weak. It's the same with Last Kizuna/the Epilogue. We all know how it ends with every human having a digimon. The omg, the digimon will disappear- just doesn't work out.

Last edited:

Soul070

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope this makes up for the horrible way they treated Seraphimon's debut in Tri. It was so underwhelming that it legitimately pissed me off. I also want to see Jogresses of the other 6 Digimon, especially Seraphimon & Ophanimon.

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It can’t be a modern 1 to 1 remake since only 25% of Digimon Adventure was in the human world

Seer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hm, but might just be a morden 1:1 remake. Repeat could mean the same thing all over again.
As said, it isn't a literal repeat as the focus is on the real world.
While yes, Tri and Kizuna was for adults, most adults and the fandom still would've prefered a reboot. Especially the casual fans.
Citation needed. If anything, they wanted Tri to ignore the 02 epilogue and I wouldn't say that they got the opposite of their wish. Tri made a baby step towards the epilogue, nothing more. I'm an extremely casual fan, so much so that the announcement of Tri is what made me watch Adventure in the first place (and 02 and Tamers). A sequel released more than 15 years later is something that appeals to me more than a reboot. I'll definitely give the latter chance, but I know that I'm not the target audience and that's fine.
I rmbr how many fans hated and were offended by the 02 ending, even now it's widely disliked and many ppl keep hoping for reboot instead. Toei knows this. It was even and still is unpopular within the japanese audience.
Suppose you're right... How would a faithful remake accommodate that? Repeat the entire story and then just exclude the epilogue? You can just ignore it now, honestly. And the new show is primarily for kids whose last concern is the epilogue of a show they didn't watch.
It's the same with Last Kizuna/the Epilogue. We all know how it ends with every human having a digimon. The omg, the digimon will disappear- just doesn't work out.
That's like saying that every story about a villain threatening the world is redundant because in all likelihood, the world will be fine when all is said and done. It's the journey that counts, not the destination. That's why I'm completely indifferent to the epilogue.

Last edited:

Youkomon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My wishlist for the themes of the new forms:
* Agumon - Heroic Tyranomon line. Full stop. Unlikely, I know, but after two or three Greymon evolution lines, I'm kind of sick of Greymon and calling back to the original plan for the series of Tyranomon being the main character would be great.

* Gabumon - Keep the reptile/mammal hybrid nature and have stuff like wolf lizards or wolf snakes. Or transitionary prehistoric animals like therapsids, gorgonopsids, and early monotremes.

* Piyomon - We have yet to have a bird lady line in the vein of Harpymon, AncientIrismon, and Shutumon's designs so something like that. Alternatively, more and more impressive parrots ending in a Scarlet Macaw ultimate.

* Tentomon - I'd actually like it to stay a ladybug and become Kamen Rider-esque in the vein of Stingmon and MetallifeKuwagamon.

* Palmon - Giant monster plants in the vein of Blossomon, Fairy plant Digimon have already had two series.

* Gomamon - Make Plesiomon canon again! Even if it's a new version of Plesiomon (like "Elasmomon" or something). Do the whole line on prehistoric sea dwellers. Ammonites. Trilobite. Dunkleosteus. Icthyosaurus. Mosasaurus. Plesiosauroids.

* Patamon - Go with the horse theme they had in the original Digital Monster with Unimon. They dipped a toe into it with Pegasmon but I want them to go full on sacred steed, godly chariot.

* Tailmon - Not sure what to do here. With Nefertimon and Ophanimon, Tailmon's evolutions have already been fiddled with quite a bit and even Meicoomon is technically part of the same evolution line. I guess they could go into the direction of Sanzomon and do non-western holy figures instead of Abrahamic ones. You could build on the Nefertimon theme and do a proper Bastet or Sekhmet instead of the Japanese Nekomata that the current Bastemon is, I guess.
Ophanimon is not canon to Adventure. She was created after Holydramon was set to be canon for Tailmon.