New Digimon series is Digimon Adventure Ψ

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah and it usually ends up being boring.

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah and it usually ends up being boring.
Yeah, it makes everything super low stakes. It works for YokaiWatch because it’s primarily a comedy. There are even several episodes where the joke is that the Yokai of the week is so harmless that it’s it even worth the time to fight it

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was Appmon for me. But I didn’t mind how Tamers and Savers did it. Was no more tedious than any other Digimon series’ first arc.

DigiKing Tamer

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I theorize that Toei's taking this route to drip their toes into returning to the whole anime scene, especially after Hunters and Appmon.

Doesn't excuse them for basically pulling a Lightning Returns (despite the ending for XIII-2) of course, but can't bet all of your money on the table after all.

Digimonuniverse

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm ok with another adventure anime but why does it has to be when they are kids again. Most of the English voice actors has pass away and I couldn't watch digimon adventure without the same voice actor that i grew up with, it will feel weird. I wish they would do a new adventure but with new kids and not tai and the others.

Hikarix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I should probably feel joy and excitement, but the announcement only makes me feel numb inside. Especially since it's all about Tai once again. He used to be one of my faves but the constant focus and blank favoritism he gets, ruined him a little for me. Perhaps I'll come around in a few years. This will probably be some type of remake of S1, once it becomes successful it will lead to more movies in a never ending circle or btw the few years left on the timeline. It's all about the cash. And why a 02 producer ... like I like the 02 cast but the 02 was hella weak.

If it's a reboot they would have done it years ago instead of wasting time, resources on drawing the timeline out with poorly produced sequels and convincing everyone the epilogue is still canon for years. They would've gained far more posibilities and plot relevances. Last Kizuna/Epilogue. It's robably just a S1 remake or a S1 sequel where the cast gets introduced to a younger audience. Then some movies, there'll be no changed.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow... Concerns, wariness and sale system experiences come first eh? Not even... A trace of "Child Joy" in every single of post.

Okay. I still can endure. Why not?

Gaomon Women

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm scared.
I love Digimon Adventure but this is too much. I hope this wont end the bad way.

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m cautiously optimistic, Frontier is the only Digimon series that I think was genuinely poorly made, though the second half of 02 comes close

xm0c

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm kinda conflicted. On the one hand, a new Digimon show. It shows Toei isn't willing to forget the anime side of Digimon outside of movies. And it looks like it will have traditional evolutionary levels, something we haven't had since Savers. I'll watch it just in principle alone.

But on the other hand, Taichi and Agumon? Really? Last Evolution Kizuna made a huge deal about it being the last adventure involving them, but now we're getting another adventure with them, just about 2 months after the movie airs. Sure, it looks to be an alternate continuity, but at their core they'll still likely be the same characters. Hell, I wouldn't mind Taichi coming back if they made this new anime a V-Tamer 01 adaption.

I am curious if the other main characters will appear or if it will be Tai and some new main characters a la the new Pokemon movies. Honestly I'd be fine with either. Don't get me wrong, I love the original cast, but 8 main children is a lot, with 8 Partner Digimon making 16 main characters. The original anime was able to balance them so that no one character felt underrepresented, but tri. kinda dropped the ball in showcasing each of the Chosen Children. I wouldn't mind them trimming the fat of sorts and just having 5 Chosen Children, so long as we don't go the Frontier route where only 2 characters get to do anything.

With this being the 9th anime series, next one to air will be the 10th. I hope they do something really special. My dream is a Kamen Rider Decade/Zi-O or Gokaiger style series where past main characters appear to lend their powers to a new generation of characters.

Last edited:

Ragnalord

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just more tai and agumon?

Atleast make it like video games where a tamer is able to tame more than one digimon, seriously, I want to see hackmon, jazamon, bulcomon, erismon.

Honestly not very excited.

Digimonuniverse

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ragnalord, that is kinda a stupid idea to have a tamer with multiple partners because when digimon adventure started that how it was established one tamer and one partner they have a bond. That why xros wars, frontier, and appli monsters wasnt that much successful. It took aways the formula. They should add new characters and new digimon to have a chance to shine like bearmon

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And it looks like it will have traditional evolutionary levels, something we haven't had since Savers. I'll watch it just in principle alone.
this is one reason why im kinda happy with it tbh lol. they ignore levels way too often, and hopefully we can just have a nice simple normal level thing like data squad. Tri DOES use normal levels, so i count that also, but since everyone has megas from day one, it matters a little less.

I think the main thing that can come from this is some of the monsters of the day could be some lesser known Digimon that can become more popular as a result of it.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Remember Wallace with digimon twins? Not sure if Frontier chosen children counts... Since they obtained other Legendary Spirits of both forms yet never use them.

Video games are better for having more partners. Multiple partners might hurt other characters' screentime or too clamped.

MegaSonic

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Let's hope this is more of a Digimon Adventure Hara than what the title implies. It's nice to see that they're doing a proper series again, which gives me hope that they'll potentially do a sequel to Tamers (I mean, they already have a plot set up from the drama CD, so they already have something to work with.)
I honestly also hope that they'll give Ryo a part in this series as well, as he is the most underused character in the Adventure series.

Youkomon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just hope Holydramon will be put in this one.

Astrothunder

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've gotta be honest, guys, I think Adventure has jumped the shark. We've already had two sequels, now another sequel and a reboot, it's getting to be way too much. No other Adventure season has been as good as the original was, so it all feels like a waste of time. After Kizuna and Ψ, I really hope they give it a rest with the Adventure pandering.

Well, they said Kizuna was the last adventure of Taichi, which will likely be true.

If Digimon Adventure Ψ is a reboot or AU, the protagonist will be another Taichi.

So, Kizuna is technically the last adventure of original Taichi.
I don't see how this kind of thing does anything other than erode the brand.

Last edited by a moderator:

ontamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think they aimed for nostalgia this time. It feels more like a re-launch of the franchise. The same way as toei did to Sailor Moon franchise with "Sailor Moon Crystal".
I think they want to re-launch and re-branding the series to gained a new audiences, a new generation of fans. Why they use the adventure kids? Because this 8 kids is the most profitable and the most lovable in the whole Digimon franchise. They already used new series with new characters for the whole 2 decades but nothing can beat the original 8 kids.
That's why they re-launch them. It's gonna be in the alternative timeline tho. Both can be canon, just like both Adventure and Tamers are canon.

frankiemon827

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd think this new Adventure anime series isn't exactly the reboot but another route of what could have gone down like Fate/Stay night with pretty much same characters but different stories and outcomes contained in 3 different routes