New Digimon series is Digimon Adventure Ψ

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the chance of this not being nostalgia pandering is pretty low. On the off chance they do shake things up a lot I think it will just annoy a lot of people who really like Adventure instead. Why they couldn't just do another entry in the Adventure franchise based around new characters is beyond me. Heck, you could even give the new protagonist an Agumon partner and give him a name suspiciously similar to Taichi! I really don't see who this show is supposed to be appealing to besides maybe children whose parents watched Digimon Adventure when they were young.

I do hope it isn't terrible, but nothing we have heard so far gives me confidence. I'm just glad the v-pets and video games have been doing as well as they have, or I'd be really concerned about where this franchise was going.

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the chance of this not being nostalgia pandering is pretty low. On the off chance they do shake things up a lot I think it will just annoy a lot of people who really like Adventure instead. Why they couldn't just do another entry in the Adventure franchise based around new characters is beyond me. Heck, you could even give the new protagonist an Agumon partner and give him a name suspiciously similar to Taichi! I really don't see who this show is supposed to be appealing to besides maybe children whose parents watched Digimon Adventure when they were young.

I do hope it isn't terrible, but nothing we have heard so far gives me confidence. I'm just glad the v-pets and video games have been doing as well as they have, or I'd be really concerned about where this franchise was going.
Well it's kinda like how you cannot throw yourself into the same world with new characters unless old characters are still present. Despite all its faults 02 understood this. Pokemon always has Ash despite his companions cycling in and out. Doctor Who being a similar thing but with both companions and actors portraying the Doctor. A soft reboot with new characters makes as much sense as doing an entirely new series from scratch, which is what Toei has been doing unsuccessfully for nearly two decades now. In order to get to a point the franchise can stand on its own without defaulting to Adventure characters all the time is to have either Tai or Agumon present in every incarnation. I hope this new series is successful. Hopefully enough world building is done to allow new characters and their stories to be told within the Adventure universe.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't see why this has to contradict anything post-Adventure or how the 02 epilogue ruined or stopped anything. I am here for whatever this is, though. If it is in fact canon and in line with 02 and Tri and fills in some gaps it would be a nice bonus.

There is plenty of room to tell a story that ends with the kids sacrificing their crests to save the digital world post-War Game and pre-02. And it would be a great opportunity to see the mons evolving to megas in a context that provides some proper backing and plot significance to those events which is something Tri failed miserably at in my opinion.

Finding out that the mons had actually reached mega level before would excuse a lot of the tepid situations and muted reactions revolving around ultimate evolution in Tri and in the golden digimentals film and tie everything together in a pretty neat way. That is IF they choose to say a story like that, who knows.

If not, then we're getting something completely new which is also great since there's countless great stories they can tell until the characters reach their epilogue-time age and even after that (which is why I can't see how the epilogue affected the potential of the series in any way).

Last edited:

Rosefox556

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel mixed on the reboot. Its does sound like nice idea, but at the same time I was looking forward to new Digimon series that isn't Adventure. I'm more open towards the others digimon series like Tamers, Frontier or Savers or more of new series like Appmon, instead of reboot of Adventure.

Nagatem

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If it’s a reboot/it’s own timeline then that’s cool, as long as it does two things
1. Ignores the 02 epilogue because it’s terrible
2. Leave myotismon dead because he’s not just a dead horse ,he’s a zombie horse

3. Find a way to work in the 7 great demon lords, since they have never been together in an anime as full on main villains together,

Lucemon was the only one in an anime to be a main villain

where as Daemon came and went being usurped by myotismon,

beelzemon was an anti hero at best after his mad with power stick

Belphemon was used as a puppet for a good chunk and pattered out for Yggdrasil who they keep dubing and as king drasil which really makes me mad demoting a god to a king

Lilithmon was done the most dirty looking terrible compared to her actual design
And was reduced to being a minion who had lucemon as her minion
( never forgiving xros for that)

Leviamon was just kinda there in xros as a hero?

And barbamon hasn’t got anything as far as I’m aware in the animes

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If they’re doing a soft reboot I hope they pull a geogreymon and give everyone similar but distinct new evolution lines.

Loke

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think they realized what the Yokai watch managers did: the minute they changed the tone and characters of the property, they lost their audience, which meant toy sales completely dropped, which meant the property nearly died out altogether. That's why Yokai watch completely dropped their edgy reboot and have a new incarnation of their original version on tv again. This is 100%what has had happened to digimon. It's sad, but true.

This is why pokemon never dies! Brand integrity is everything! Ash and Pikachu are always the center piece, and their goals never deviate.

Last edited:

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think they realized what the Yokai watch managers did: the minute they changed the tone and characters of the property, they lost their audience, which meant toy sales completely dropped, which meant the property nearly died out altogether. That's why Yokai watch completely dropped their edgy reboot and have a new incarnation of their original version on tv again. This is 100%what has had happened to digimon. It's sad, but true.
It sounds like this series could be yet another Yokai Watch rip-off, though. I am putting money on the wild Digimon being invisible to adults and the trouble they cause comes from possessing humans invisibly

DragonicEmperor

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hope y'all ready for even more Sora X Yamato vs Sora x Taichi vs Taichi x Yamato wars and a new Omegamon form.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

This is why pokemon never dies! Brand integrity is everything! Ash and Pikachu are always the center piece, and their goals never deviate.
It is not always necessary to keep the same protagonists or even the tone of the property.

Precure franchise has been maintained for more than 15 years, although the protagonists change every year and the style of the story has also changed a lot.

The issue is that these new seasons have to catch new young audiences constantly. That is something that most Digimon anime have failed.

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Japanese site Marc linked as a source also says there are surprises in the Partners' Evolution lines.

When they announced there would be big news announced in a stream, I expected a new anime, specially after seeing some Japanese comments mention how there's always a new anime after a certain number of years (which I'm going to guess Toei is contractually obliged to make a new series every few years to keep the rights or something, but I'm not sure if the Japanese fans also think that).
But I didn't expect a new Adventure anime. I was a bit optimistic that, maybe Appmon could be getting a second season. The fact it was moved to a better timeslot halfway through and even got 12th place (almost top 10!) in a "best anime of the year" poll shows Appmon was their best shot in years, and if they were smart, Toei could continue investing in Appmon for it to rebuild the Digimon brand in the long term.

But no, Adventure Ψ merely existing shows Toei is not smart and only cares about short term profits, even though a long term gamble could make them even more money if it works. Now Appmon is NEVER getting a season 2. Probably. I wonder if failing to get an American dub disqualified it from further investment, even though it managed to air all over Europe and some parts of Asia. It's like Toei doesn't understand the American market is currently composed of cable channels that produce their own shows and are not very interested in licensed properties, meaning they would need to convince these channels that their show is worth licensing. If they had Appmon as 100+ episode like Pokémon and Yo-kai Watch they could argue their show is worth it, but no, Toei wants a success before even looking into that. This paradox is what the fans need to deal with.

On the other hand, Adventure Ψ could be what's needed for the franchise to become an annual anime series again. Since the original Adventure was very popular, a reboot could catch the eyes of American channels and convince them to give a shot to Digimon again. Hopefully, if it's a hit, Appmon might be aired next, and who knows it does well enough that it can get a season 2. I just think it's very shortsighted to not invest more in Appmon when it had the best results of every post-Frontier series. It feels like Toei just wants an instant success on Adventure's level and won't take anything less.

Also, seeing how the new series airs this year, it might also be a 20th anniversary celebration (because for some reason Japanese franchises like to celebrate their anniversaries one year late). Remember how tri. was part of Adventure's 15th anniversary? It could be something like that.

One thing I'm curious though, is if Adventure Ψ is planned to last more than one year. Adventure was already a success, so, maybe this reboot could already be planned to be a 100+ episode series? And since this is a new anime, is Agumon going to be redesigned? The other Partners as well.

Also, now that we have a new Taichi, just imagine how it's going to be next time we get a Hunters-like crossover. We would have two Taichis running around. Heck, it could happen in this very series if it's indeed an anniversary thing. And thinking about it, if it does air for at least two years, it would still be airing on 2021, the year of Appli Monsters's 5th anniversary. Maybe they could have a crossover with Appmon in 2021 to test the waters on a second season? I hope.

The problem is that most Digimon anime have not really been so profitable. The Adventure brand is the most reliable.

That said, Digimon Adventure Ψ seems to be a reboot (or AU). So, they are really going to try to attract new fans this time.
Appli Monsters was popular enough to get a huge position in an anime of the year poll in Japan. It seems like a pretty good place to start compared with all other previous non-Adventure series.

I love Tamers and I'm glad we got it, but it doesn't really need a follow up.
Konaka has been trying to get a sequel at least since 2018.

Digimon is not Super Sentai and should have never been treated as such.
You say that like Super Sentai is the only franchise that does that. This thing of constant reboots instead of more seasons is common in Japanese franchises. This is because Japanese shows traditionally aren't made with multiple seasons in mind, or at least they haven't until some years ago.

PreCure switches characters every year and never dies, and I heard producers said on record that they'll never do sequels again no matter how popular a series gets.
Changing the characters is not the problem, it's the series's quality that matters. I never watched Yo-kai Watch, so I can't say anything about the writing quality. But if the reboot failed, it might be because the characters failed to resonate with the audience, which would be a writing failure above all.

Hope y'all ready for even more Sora X Yamato vs Sora x Taichi vs Taichi x Yamato wars and a new Omegamon form.
Assuming Yamato and Sora are even in this series. For all we know, Taichi and Agumon could be the only ones to return. And maybe Hikari too.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm gonna be so upset if this is a reboot. One thing I always really liked about Digimon is that, unlike a lot of other long-running series, it never did reboots or remakes. There are plenty of adaptations, sure, like the Cyber Sleuth comics or Adventure PSP, but they've never gone back and retold an old story before. What a disappointment.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Japanese site Marc linked as a source also says there are surprises in the Partners' Evolution lines.
Thank God. At least something will be a surprise.

One thing I'm curious though, is if Adventure Ψ is planned to last more than one year. Adventure was already a success, so, maybe this reboot could already be planned to be a 100+ episode series?
Can’t wait to see the 02 kids duel a redesigned Black War Greymon in Digimon Adventure 22!

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Appli Monsters was popular enough to get a huge position in an anime of the year poll in Japan. It seems like a pretty good place to start compared with all other previous non-Adventure series.
I'm not sure how important was that poll (how many kids vote on that poll?), but Appmon wasn't popular enough at the end.

If Appmon had been pretty popular, a new season of Digimon would have started the week after Appmon ended.

I want to clarify that I don't even mean a second season of Appmon, but a new season of a Digimon anime. I mean, Precure, Super Sentai or Kamen Rider show us that Toei and Bandai don't take breaks when one of its properties is popular.

Assuming Yamato and Sora are even in this series. For all we know, Taichi and Agumon could be the only ones to return. And maybe Hikari too.
Honestly, I think Yamato is more likely to appear than Hikari (although I'm pretty sure both will appear). It is impossible they don't want to show the relationship between Taichi and Yamato. And Takeru as the little brother of Yamato will likely appear too.

I also really doubt Sora won't appear, since she is one of the best friends of Taichi

Last edited:

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thank goodness new evolutions have been confirmed, so at least we have that to look forward to. I expect all 8 kids to appear, though screen time will probably vary.Just once I wish we’d get a protagonist Agumon get a heroic Tyranomon line instead of Greymon

Last edited:

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not surprised they have new evolutions for PSI. This time this story is directed to a new audience.

They are using the characters of Adventure to appeal to the old audience at some level, but the main audience will be kids.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Adventure Ψ, this means "Psi".Psi is the 23rd letter of the Greek alphabet.So maybe Olympus 12? EOSMON from the movie is also a Greek Titan.
It could just mean they have made 23 episodes. that's equal to two cores.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It sounds like this series could be yet another Yokai Watch rip-off, though. I am putting money on the wild Digimon being invisible to adults and the trouble they cause comes from possessing humans invisibly
Digimon has already done this in the anime an games multiple times. in data squad is happens in basically half the episodes