New Digimon series is Digimon Adventure Ψ

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And I thought Last Evolution Kizuna was going to be the last Adventure related product.
Taichi and Agumon’s last adventure... PSYCHE!

Yeah, not happy with this news. I think this is a step foo far into nostalgia pandering and I just really want to see at least a BREAK from Adventure content after Tri and Kizuna.

Well, they said Kizuna was the last adventure of Taichi, which will likely be true.

If Digimon Adventure Ψ is a reboot or AU, the protagonist will be another Taichi.

So, Kizuna is technically the last adventure of original Taichi.

Last edited:

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Even if it's the same universe it's back in 2000, ten years before kizuna, so kizuna is still the "last adventure".

Its a "yes but actually no" thing.

Also a reboot would still be a AU

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So a redo of Adventure and it has a cool Greek letter as symbol, I'm all for it, let's just hope they manage to incorporate it for new generations.

Mugenlazlo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe it will be a revised version of the original Digimon Adventure series similar to Dragon Ball Z Kai.

Katsu Hikaru

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly as long as the New Adventure series is done right i will be all for it would be cool but not getting my hopes up that the evolution lines are a bit different compared to the orginal that Tai and Matt get one of the subspecies of their main partners instead of Wargreymon and Metalgarurumon for example or Mimi getting Lotusmon, Kari getting Ophanimon, and Joe getting Plesiomon, etc would add a bit of uniqueness imo but i assume they're going to probably stick to the orginal.

Overall i hope it does well

Last edited:

Seer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The key difference is the Digimon World playing a much smaller role, like in Tamers I guess. I expect the year to be 2020, too.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can’t be the only one who finds this hilarious. They reneged so much quicker than expected! Well, it’ll be interesting to see where it goes, I guess. Can’t say I’m terribly excited about it (whoo, more fucking Taichi and Agumon), but I’ll watch it.

Nagatem

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ditto, getting sick of adventure getting all the love, how about Tamers?, or frontier
You the ones that haven’t been milked to death, don’t get me wrong I love tai and matt but tri was terrible to me aside from gennai who was amazing as a villain and all the bro moments they had

I don’t have high hopes for kizuna after they kinda killed off 2 of the “original” digi destined and kizuna kinda made the 02 cast really boring in design

But hey maybe kizuna or the new anime will surprise me and include the 7 great demonlords as a plot since daemon was literally laughing at them when he went bye bye back in 02 or maybe they can just make the ending narration of 02 a retcon
And just gut it from the timeline

And ship tai and matt because they have way better chemistry then either of them plus sora and I’m not even into yaoi

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope there better be more new Digimons in this. Oh look, all posts already took over it so fast before I post to say something, because all my words were taken out. Oh well. I'm sure Japan likes to milk every 1st original seasons of certain animes so dry to death.

That's weird symbol to give that greek word to this new season. Meaning to repeat? Wha???

Honestly, too similar pattern from.... Pokemon. I hope it'll go well or not.

Neilandio

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sounds like they just slapped the Adventure brand on a new anime and turned it into a reboot. Which I'm fine with as long as there's not too much nostalgia.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dang. My initial interpretation of the show's description was that it was an older Tai as a mentor taking some kids under his wing.

Last edited:

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So here is my take. Sounds like this new series is a soft reboot. It takes place right after the events of the original Adventure, meaning this is not a complete reboot of the franchise, but it could have implications that could negate everything that comes after (basically 02, Tri, and this new film would no longer be canon, similar to what Superman Returns did with III and IV of the Christopher Reeves films and left only the first two films in canon), but that's just speculation, it could just be telling events that happened that was not told before, so who knows. My money is on it being a soft reboot as I feel Last Evolution is to wrap up the current canonical story arch and start fresh with this new series.

This does not upset me. To be totally honest the epilogue in 02 felt so forced that it pretty much doomed the franchise from being a serious contender to Pokemon in the late 2000's and throughout the 2010's. 02 in of itself was so sloppy in production that it gave the franchise a weak level above what was a solid foundation, giving any then future projects, no matter how decent, a failing chance. While Tamers is a good entry into the franchise it was an in-and-out journey like the other seasons that came after it, and doesn't have any more stories to tell. Adventure has so much more rich backstory and unexplored plots that really made the epilogue in 02 feel like a slap in the face to fans excited for more adventures with the gang we knew. All of it being Tamer's fault.

I love Tamers and I'm glad we got it, but it doesn't really need a follow up. If it does get one great, if not I'm not gonna be heart broken. Though I do hope the toy line gets a 20th anniversary treatment for both Japan and international fans. Tamers should have been a spin-off anime. Digimon is not Super Sentai and should have never been treated as such. I would love to see something new but, manga and video games explore stories that the anime doesn't.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be totally honest the epilogue in 02 felt so forced that it pretty much doomed the franchise from being a serious contender to Pokemon in the late 2000's and throughout the 2010's.
I don't love the epilogue either (or 02 in general) but I'm almost certain that of all things was not why it struggled against Pokemon.

For what it's worth the epilogue was always the intended ending for Adventure, even before 02 got greenlit.

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be totally honest the epilogue in 02 felt so forced that it pretty much doomed the franchise from being a serious contender to Pokemon in the late 2000's and throughout the 2010's.
I don't love the epilogue either (or 02 in general) but I'm almost certain that of all things was not why it struggled against Pokemon.

For what it's worth the epilogue was always the intended ending for Adventure, even before 02 got greenlit.
Yeah I would say the video games were sub par to Pokemon. I was mainly referring to the anime. One thing that Digimon had against Pokemon was a superior anime. Up until that point that is. Tamers is great but, only by looking back on it. At the time kids were not happy with the change.

I would state that if the epilogue was always intended, then it puts Digimon on equal footing with How I Met Your Mother, on how not to end a series.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is an alternate universe meaning both timelines (02, tri and Kizuna) remain cannon in their continuity, while this one makes it (hopefully) more crafted and better developed in terms of plot and (hopefully) new digimon - kinda like what should have been done in the beginning of 2000s.

Rohan

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll wait until we see more concrete details before making a judgement.

I would have preferred something completely new, but if this is good then I'll still check it out.

Graizen

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Adventure Ψ, this means "Psi".Psi is the 23rd letter of the Greek alphabet.So maybe Olympus 12? EOSMON from the movie is also a Greek Titan.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is an alternate universe meaning both timelines (02, tri and Kizuna) remain cannon in their continuity, while this one makes it (hopefully) more crafted and better developed in terms of plot and (hopefully) new digimon - kinda like what should have been done in the beginning of 2000s.
That would have to be necessary. Better late than never I suppose.

I am excited for the future though. The 2020's seem to be a good decade for Digimon fans. A new anime is coming, and hopefully the announcement at the Fathom Events showing is of this anime getting a dub. New cards and digivices means new merchandise. Now that Bandai America lost Power Rangers I'm sure they want a new franchise to exploit. Digimon would be the perfect franchise to fill that gap. I'm looking forward to walking into stores and seeing Digimon merchandise on the shelves again.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

An Epilogue was always an intended ending for Adventure.

However, to be clear, the Epilogue that we see in 02, where all humans have digimon partner, is product of things that happened in 02 (like worldwide digidestined).

An Epilogue in Adventure would be different.

toranks77

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How difficult is it for them to create a new story? I am a big fan of Adventure, but this makes me angry. They are overexploiting Adventure. They could adapt V-Tamer. The protagonist is Taichi, but tells us a totally different story.