MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, a bit of an update...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Thanks to ryokutya2089, who has been a good source of early info, we have more info on the new Digimon anime series... (which is likely early V-Jump details.)

He's posting that a new 'Digimon Adventure' anime will be airing at 9am on Sundays on Fuji TV (seemingly replacing the current Kitaro series when it ends, which I believe airs in the timeslot Digimon Adventure had in it's original run.)

Update- More details were added shortly after posting...

The show is Digimon Adventure Ψ (Psi) and will begin airing in April.

The new show will be produced by Hiroyuki Sakurada (Adventure 02, Xros Wars, various Digimon movies, One Piece, etc.) and written by Atsuhiro Tomioka (Battle Spirits, Ace Attorney, Fairy Tail, Inazuma 11, Pokemon.)

It features Taichi, Agumon, and the others solving problems in the real world caused by Digimon, and apparently they have new Digivices and are in 5th grade (the same grade most of the characters were in the original anime.)

Update Again- It was pointed out that the pronunciation of Ψ matches 再, which means repeat, again, or re- (for what that's worth at this point.)

There will be a new Digimon trading card game in Spring 2020 to follow with the show.

No doubt many more details to come!

(The art above is just Adventure key art I had on hand and is not currently attached to the new show in any way.)

Thanks to AIR for some additional details.

Update- New thread with images and more info.

frankiemon827

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
surprise surprise...i guess they will keep making Digimon Adventure anime forever...

really hope it is about the chosen children before Tai's group...

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added more details.

Zeether

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is it too much to hope for a dub for this right now? I guess it has zero chance though since it's in the Kitaro block and that's never getting one...

Osuka

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm excited and worried. The fact that they are children again sounds nice, but I really hope that it has the same soul and feel as the original. The premise sounds like a comedic monster of a week show like Yo-kai Watch which is something that I don't want for the Adventure universe.

Hagaren Gao

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly I was excited to see that we'd get another Adventure series that fills in more gaps between the end of Kizuna and the 02 epilogue but... 5th grade, huh? I never would have thought they'd reboot the series like that. Really interested to see what they do, but a little amused that they really do refuse to let the original eight kids rest, huh?

Also interesting to think that they might recast some/all of the kids again since they would need to sound younger, which also means the first time we hear a young Taichi without Toshiko Fujita voicing him.

Spongebond

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dang. I love when Digimon goes full Isekai. Real world is kinda boring but who am I kidding. I'm one of those who love Adventure so I will definitely watch this.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not all that surprised by this news, but I'm happy and excited all the same. At least it'll make up for the rest of us missing out on Kizuna

That they're in 5th Grade suggests to me that this could be an interquel, taking place directly after Adventure itself. Let's not forget that Adventure's events took place in less than a week in Earth days.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not all that surprised by this news, but I'm happy and excited all the same. At least it'll make up for the rest of us missing out on Kizuna

That they're in 5th Grade suggests to me that this could be an interquel, taking place directly after Adventure itself. Let's not forget that Adventure's events took place in less than a week in Earth days.
It's possible more details are crammed in there, or will be made more clear when we get V-Jump images, but for now it doesn't seem clear (at least to me) whether this is an interquel, reboot, a what if, or etc.

It's clear it's new Digimon Adventure content, but I'm not sure on the framing of it, at least for now.

Kureisan28

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This seems to be the tipping point for the Digimon fandom that will cause more friction (since tri). Retreading old grounds on Adventure for a new generation of kids than creating new stories for the growing fans.

This really feels intense especially as I originally made a long post on my initial reactions here and Reddit that I don’t mind it existing. But then the commenters take it as that I'm just downplaying the concerns for those who don't like the direction. Even though there weren’t much threats on me (hopefully not that aggressive), I felt that this is too much. So I deleted the post, and just remind myself that what exists we can't control just like every other franchise that decided the direction (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and some western cartoons that get reboots for new kids).

As of now, I have no opinion of the show if it’s good or not, and have low expectations. I do have my concerns like others just to be in the same boat as those who expect Adventure to be done, or wanted a new direction, but I also see where Toei wanted to focus on money wise. That's just how business work while finding ground to make other projects if they're ever interested. So I'm not gonna be the guy who says, "give it a chance!"

I never intend to pick a side, but we all have our own bias anyway. So any different direction will not please everyone. And it's alright to dislike that. But when things get out of hand when getting too toxic or abusive, then it's not going anywhere.

Social media though seems the backlash and drama will increase by the time they are formally announced.

Last edited:

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not what I expected tbh lol. If they were doing more adventure it should've been a prequel with the OG digidestined.

And we all knew it wouldn't be their final stuff with adventure... but this certainly was an unusual way to go about more lol. I wonder how many new Digimon can come out of this

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated with a potential bit on the title meaning.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So either a reboot, or the adventures of Taichi's son, also named Taichi.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If they have new digivices that basically means it's unlikely or most likely impossible to be the currently existing adventure timeline so I guess it's probably alternate universe counterparts like Ash in the recent Pokemon movies or Crow, jack, Alexa etc in yugioh arc v.

KoreeluStromboli

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I imagined a reboot of the original Digimon Adventure with Digimon from Adventure 02, Tamers, Frontier, Savers and Xros Wars after Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You! loosely rebooted Ash's original Kanto region adventure and included Pokémon from all 7 generations up until then.

I imagined the Digimon Adventure reboot having Iguneetmon and Hackmon as Partner Digimon of new Chosen Children that could be rivals.

Since Taichi and Sora are black passing, maybe at least one of them will have a black parent in Digimon Adventure Ψ to make them Blasian for some ethnic diversity.

DragonicEmperor

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bleeeeeeeeeeeeh. My hype died so fast, you don't want to know.

Also, looks like a reboot to me? Unless it's an AU.

Either way, my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

AguChamp

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like Adventure and I'm hypee for Last Evolution, but this is too much. Have some confidence in your brand to take it elsewhere.

Mugenlazlo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And I thought Last Evolution Kizuna was going to be the last Adventure related product.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like Adventure and I'm hypee for Last Evolution, but this is too much. Have some confidence in your brand to take it elsewhere.
The problem is that most Digimon anime have not really been so profitable. The Adventure brand is the most reliable.

That said, Digimon Adventure Ψ seems to be a reboot (or AU). So, they are really going to try to attract new fans this time.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Taichi and Agumon’s last adventure... PSYCHE!

Yeah, not happy with this news. I think this is a step foo far into nostalgia pandering and I just really want to see at least a BREAK from Adventure content after Tri and Kizuna.