MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
More!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

On top of everything else, Bandai has put up a website for the new Digimon card game!

They also preview various bits of the new card game, simply called 'Digimon Card Game'. (Various bits will be translated as time allows.)

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The card back.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Some game mechanics are gone over.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

They also tease the 3 different decks that will be out on day 1. Each starter deck will be 500 yen.

As we previously found out, the new card game is out in April!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Art looks nice, and I rather like the clean logo.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Look like Japan accepted "Digimon" word. Didn't think they actually use dub word for official logo. But it does look cool. Quite digital.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
“Digimon” is not a dub word? Not sure what you’re surprised about.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know? For some reasons, "Digital Monster" in kanji word seemed to be largely used in Japan. Could be just me and surfing the internet got me used to this?

icomeanon6

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Sparrow Hawk, check the Japanese opening of Digimon Adventure. It says "Digimon Adventure" in English at the bottom of the logo. The word definitely originated on the Japan side.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay then it's probably my brain played the tricks on me. Jeez I wonder how did the hades this brain made it so realistic even if I clearly see it's not?

Sorry guys my bad. Thx

Hope this new type of Digimon card board goes well. If possible, we could have new game for Digimon card battle of this.

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope we get cards too over here. I doubt it, but someone can wish. Wonder what the other cards look like. I love to see if they have added the Digi-friends like Elecmon and Piximon in the deck.

The stream will have a lot of juicy stuff in it this time. Can not wait for it.

Touya

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I posted some translations + explanations of the TCG website content on Tamer Union but here's the sparknotes.

War Greymon
Level 6/Vaccine-attribute/Dragon Man-type
12000 DP
Entry Cost 12, Evolution Cost 4 (From Level 5)
[During your turn] For every 2 Evolution Sources, this Digimon gets «Security Attack +1». (When this Digimon attacks Security, increase the number it flips over by 1.)
Metal Greymon
Level 5
[When it attacks] [Once per turn] When this Digimon destroys your opponent's Digimon by battle, put this Digimon in the Active state.
Agumon
Level 3/Vaccine-attribute/Reptile-type
2000 DP
Entry Cost 3, Evolution Cost 0 (From Level 2)
[During your turn] This Digimon's DP gets +1000.
Agumon's effect and wording actually changed between V Jump and the website. Originally it gained 2k when it attacked.

The Starter Deck names are Gaia Red, Cocytus Blue, and Heaven's Yellow. They feature the Digimon you would expect from those names: War Greymon, Metal Garurumon, and Angemon.

Notes about the gameplay:
  • DP is your power stat. You might remember it from the Pendulum pets, or the later PS1 Digimon World games.
  • Digimon have both "Entry Costs" (登場コスト) and "Evolution Costs." (進化コスト) Evolution Costs are in the red bubbles, are lower, and to evolve into a Digimon you have to have a same-colored Digimon one level lower than it already in play.
  • Costs are paid using the "Memory Gauge," which is a gauge shared by both players. (If your opponent has 2 points and you have 3 points, then you can play cards with a cost of 5.) The gauge starts at 0 and caps at 10 on both sides; you can voluntarily increase it, but this will end your turn immediately. They haven't really explained how paying costs with it works yet.
  • "Evolution Sources" (進化元) refer to the cards your Digimon evolved from, which are underneath it. A Digimon retains all the effects of its Evolution Sources.
  • The "Active" state mentioned in Metal Greymon's effect sounds like the "Active" state in Bandai's Dragon Ball Super TCG, basically an equivalent to being "untapped" in Magic: The Gathering. You probably have to be Active in order to declare an attack, which makes Metal Greymon going Active again after destroying a Digimon a pretty big deal.
  • The Japanese wording on War Greymon basically implies "Security" is a type of face-down card that can be attacked and turned face-up instead of attacking an opponent's Digimon. Attacking Security cards might be a part of the game's win condition.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope we get cards too over here. I doubt it, but someone can wish.
I’m actually not too pessimistic about it.
Sure, the west never got the card game alpha, but that was at a point when there hadn’t been any significant Digimon releases in a whole while, and no one would have cared for an isolated card game.
In Japan the franchise had at least kept somewhat of a presence (a bunch of V-pets, the whole X-antibody phase) and the card game was mostly connected to Savers, and the same approach never got a chance overseas because when the west got Data Squad the CGA was already on its way out, so why bother?
It’s the same way with the XW card game, and perhaps the appmon one (although, I wouldn’t rule out the Appmon cards coming over if appmon ever gets dubbed)
Anyway, by now the circumstances have changed, Digimon is on the radar again with tri and Kizuna, (and there’s of course the original “leak” confirming that they are already planning some western promotions for the new series a well), the west is getting far more merchandise in general and if that doesn’t change within the next few months it’s probably their best chance yet to make it work.

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This could come to the USA. It appears that Toei wants to market the Digimon Adventure revival to all, not to just those in Japan. Japan will get it first naturally, but Toei is giving English speakers teases of the new stuff to entice us to request companies bring it over to the West.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting to make new cards. I never did learn to play the game, I just had the cards. I doubt I'll learn to play this one either. ...Mostly because I have no one to play with.

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if there are fourth and fifth colors planned? In the mockup of which Digimon are in each color:

"Red is mainly assigned to dinosaur-type and dragon-type."

"Yellow is assigned to holy beast-type, fairy-type, and angel-type."

"Blue is assigned to beast-type, beast man-type, and knight-types."

There's notably no colors noted for Plant (though they're probably Yellow because most Fairy types evolve from Plants), Bird (though they could be categorized as Beasts), Demon and Fallen Angel (of which are tons), or Insect/Machine/Aquatic Digimon (though there are less of those, especially less Rookie-level).

I suspect we're at least getting Purple for Nightmare Soldiers and Dark Area Digimon (and maybe Metal Empire, too), but we might get Purple AND Green for JungleTrooper/WindGuardian Digimon for birds, plants, and bugs.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They will probably wind up with more or less the same groups as they had in Jintrix/Crusader.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It will be much interesting if they actually happened to have new colors for those certain types.

After thinking so much about those colors and types. I just realized about this Blue color. It's very odd. I can understand Red is like most "Leader character" types always have raw powers for Dinosaur and Dragon types. Yellow is obviously "Holy" element and Fairy or maybe better, supernatural with lowering DP debuffs.

But here, Blue color, I really don't see any common things from Beast, Beast-Man and Knight types share in... Beast and Beast Man types are easy to understand but having Knight types in there ruined it. Also I'm surprised there is no official "Knight" but "Warrior" types in Digimon although so many classes of "Knight" and "Warrior" types in it. So maybe basically for Human / Demi Human....?

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's "Beast-Knight types" not just knight types. I think that's basically Digimon like CresGarurumon.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah but wait it's confirmed it's Beast Knight now? Not Knight? In this new card board?