MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Some Kizuna news!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

We get character updates for Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna today! Both of these characters are brand new, and we get character details plus cast info for both of them!

It has been decided that Mayu Matsuoka and Daisuke Ono will be participating in "Digimon Adventure LAST EVOLUTION Kizuna" (In theaters Feb 21, 2020) as guest voice actors!

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Mayu Matsuoka had great presence acting in such popular movies as "Shoplifters," "Honeybees & Distant Thunder," "One Night," etc. The part that she will be playing in Kizuna is an original movie character, a scientist who researches Digimon at a university in NYC, Menoa Bellucci. Matsuoka loves "Digimon" dearly and talked about how she screamed with happiness upon getting the offer. She even said in a heartfelt comment to us that "Digimon" has taught her about "kindness," "strength," and "pain," and that it is "a series that made [her] the person that [she is]."

The other guest voice actor is Daisuke Ono, who will be playing as Kyotaro Imura, Menoa's assistant. He has voiced such roles as Jotaro Kujo in "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" and Erwin Smith in "Attack of Titan." Ono has commented to us that he is "deeply moved to be able to participate in a long-loved series with such a long history."

Menoa and Imura will appear before Taichi and the others while in pursuit of a certain incident that breaks out around the Chosen Children. As they pursue the incident together, they reveal "the secret of the relationship between Chosen Child and their Digimon." What could that be...? Look forward to seeing how these two get involved in the story!

For anime fans Matsuoko would likely best be known as the young version of Shoya Ishida from A Silent Voice.

Ono Daisuke's credits in anime are far to wide to properly list, but a short selection: Itsuki Koizumi in Haruhi, Jotaro Kujo in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Erwin on Attack on Titan.

A few additional press images of Matsuoka that were included.

Thanks to onkei for translations!

VA comments will be translated fully a bit later, but here are a few bits for now...

Update- Translated Cast and Staff comments below. Various bits above have been tweaked with updated translations, including the spelling of 'Kyotaro' that Toei is using on the English website.

Also, cleaner versions of the character art.

CAST COMMENTS
Mayu Matsuoka (Voice of Menoa Bellucci)
I loved Digimon since I was a young child, so when I heard that I had a part in it, I screamed for joy. I had a crush on Yamato-kun, and wished to grow up to be like Sora-chan... I'd rewatch my video tapes over and over again until they were worn. This series has taught me "kindness," "strength," and "pain." This series has made me into the person that I am now.
My character Menoa is a lively, pleasant woman who's an efficient worker, but also a woman who carries various emotions within her, such as the conflict of growing out of childhood into adulthood. While I was immensely grateful to play a part in it, my discussions with Director Taguchi helped me to pull off a performance that I felt was satisfactory.
This movie is being produced by many people who come from the "Digimon Adventure" generation, including the director. Therefore, there are many components that will make people who had watched the TV series every week as a child, like me, think "Now this is what I wanted to see from Digimon!" I wish for many people to watch it and feel nostalgia, happiness, sadness, and weep with emotion. Most of all, I believe that from this movie they will feel the "bond" that exists between everyone and the Digimon.
Daisuke Ono (Voice of Kyotaro Imura)
Congratulations on 20 years. I am deeply moved to be able to participate in a long-loved series with such a long history. The main characters in Digimon are the children. The bonds between the children and their Digimon were so promising that, as the adult watching over them, watching the light from it was blinding.
DIRECTOR & PRODUCER COMMENTS
Director Tomohisa Taguchi
I had given Matsuoka-san various notes on her character such as "she's a character who is a mirror image to the protagonists Taichi and co" but I think those explanations were meaningless. This is because, when recording began, I felt the presence of Menoa from within Matsuoka-san almost immediately. Menoa was created specifically for this movie, so the production committee worked out a detailed background story, gave her a design, and neatly arranged the "outer shell". However, her "silhouette" felt as transparent as clouds, and I felt that there was something missing, making her easily swept away. When Matsuoka-san finished recording, that transparent silhouette had taken firm shape, and I felt the flame of life shining brightly for the character Menoa. Matsuoka-san, thank you for breathing life into Menoa.
Producer Yousuke Kinoshita
For Menoa, it was necessary to have an actor who had both realism and could powerfully persuade the protagonists' hearts into action. And, what I felt most important of all, that it was someone who "loved Digimon." Mayu Matsuoka-san fulfilled all of those requirements. Before giving her the offer, I had no idea whether she loved Digimon or not, and since she is a much sought after person for various other works, normally I would have felt worried to invite such a person onto the cast. But strangely enough, I felt confident that she was the right choice. When I received her ready consent and her message that she "had been raised by Digimon," my confidence that she would make a great Menoa grew even deeper. The post-recording was held within a limited time frame, but her powers of concentration while in the booth were simply stunning! It was because Matsuoka-san was a "child" much like all of the fans, that I felt the existence of Menoa right there.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
that came out of nowhere!! I'm getting Daigo and Maki's feels from those two haha..

KoreeluStromboli

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just saw these two new characters on the Digimon Adventure 20th Twitter account. Menoa is thicc. :3

Ono Daisuke is the Japanese voice of Silver the Hedgehog and he was going to voice Barrett from the cancelled Mega Man Legends 3.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm, let's see, red hair like Koushiro's plus that butterfly brooch... Clearly it's Koushiro's daughter sent back in time by Oikawa. God help us all if it truly turns out to be something that cheesy.

Anyway the scientist angle could make things interesting but only if they actually behave like scientists (which is something fiction just loves to be cheap about so I'm not getting my hoes up too much). Likewise the talk of "phenomena and secrets" is in general much more engaging than a tease of some generic "clash and/or conflict", and maybe they are just holding that part back for now but I do kinda hope that the conflict won't be generic Shounen premise like a random or returning villain mobilizing the forces of darkness to take over the universe yet again.
Just like much of the conflict in Tri already stemmed from the forces that governed the digital world Instead of simply evil plots, the last challenge in the (hopefully) last movie, embodied in the phenomena that these characters are investigating, could be a consequence of the nature of the digital world itself perhaps further developing the notion (mentioned multiple times, but never actually used well) of eventual rejection of "foreign" data or the nature of the Chosen Children concept as basically a last emergency measure that's never really supposed to be normal. This could be behind the ominous countdown on their Digivices and whatever weirdness that brings with it; Basically the digital world going "Okay, the darkness is gone, you're no longer needed so it's time for you and your unnaturally powerful partners to get equalized away for the sake of cosmic balance".
Or perhaps it's something else. Maybe the phenomenon being investigated is just how the "infection" of being chosen spreads in general who witness Digimon related incidents. Either way these could be themes that would work for a more scientific resolution with blowing things up being secondary.

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm, let's see, red hair like Koushiro's plus that butterfly brooch... Clearly it's Koushiro's daughter sent back in time by Oikawa. God help us all if it truly turns out to be something that cheesy.

Anyway the scientist angle could make things interesting but only if they actually behave like scientists (which is something fiction just loves to be cheap about so I'm not getting my hoes up too much). Likewise the talk of "phenomena and secrets" is in general much more engaging than a tease of some generic "clash and/or conflict", and maybe they are just holding that part back for now but I do kinda hope that the conflict won't be generic Shounen premise like a random or returning villain mobilizing the forces of darkness to take over the universe yet again.
Just like much of the conflict in Tri already stemmed from the forces that governed the digital world Instead of simply evil plots, the last challenge in the (hopefully) last movie, embodied in the phenomena that these characters are investigating, could be a consequence of the nature of the digital world itself perhaps further developing the notion (mentioned multiple times, but never actually used well) of eventual rejection of "foreign" data or the nature of the Chosen Children concept as basically a last emergency measure that's never really supposed to be normal. This could be behind the ominous countdown on their Digivices and whatever weirdness that brings with it; Basically the digital world going "Okay, the darkness is gone, you're no longer needed so it's time for you and your unnaturally powerful partners to get equalized away for the sake of cosmic balance".
Or perhaps it's something else. Maybe the phenomenon being investigated is just how the "infection" of being chosen spreads in general who witness Digimon related incidents. Either way these could be themes that would work for a more scientific resolution with blowing things up being secondary.
LOL! That'd be funny to imagine: an "end of the world" scenario going on in the background while the movie goes all .Hack//SIGN or whatever. (Note that I never actually watched that anime. At least...I think I don't.)

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This.... I could feel the familiar vibes from Mako and Daigo... Who "drowned"/never got mentioned ever again and Daigo is lost forever from the reality.

Let's hope they will not repeat this pattern. Being the scientists always have the death door awaiting for them!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated with additional and updated translations.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like that they're updating the English language sections quickly too, provides some nice context. Hope these are the other OG chosen children. Definitely a sense of mystery to them.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Neat, though it's funny that we're getting additional characters like this when we already know we're having those shorts because not everything they want to show will fit into the movie. Not that it isn't fine, since they'll likely be part of the plot they want to tell, I'm just sure some people will take it that way, lol.

Random theory: "Last Evolution" is literal. The "phenomenon" is the partner digimon are becoming so adapted to the real world that they're becoming less "digital" and more "real", to the point where they'll soon lose the ability to change form and will start aging. The children will have to decide if it's worth taking that away from them to stay together. This pisses off Yggdrasil (if not!Gennai is to be believed), who sends whatever super digimon to shut them down, leading to the chosen children's final battle "for real".

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like the odd one out, but I'm not really a fan of their designs. Hopefully they are interesting characters though.

Also they didn't render that image of Kyotaro very well.

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What if Menoa is Kōshirō's mysterious American friend who has been mentioned since Our War Game!, then once in 02 (which the dub replaced with Wallace), and all the way up to tri. but never seen or actually even named? Since this is supposedly the end of the Adventure universe's story, perhaps they decided to finally show that enigmatic person.

Random theory: "Last Evolution" is literal. The "phenomenon" is the partner digimon are becoming so adapted to the real world that they're becoming less "digital" and more "real", to the point where they'll soon lose the ability to change form and will start aging. The children will have to decide if it's worth taking that away from them to stay together. This pisses off Yggdrasil (if not!Gennai is to be believed), who sends whatever super digimon to shut them down, leading to the chosen children's final battle "for real".
I don't think Yggdrasil is still a thing. Homeostasis shut it down at the end of tri., remember?

And your idea for "Last Evolution" is interesting, but I still think it's probably a new kind of Evolution, perhaps a fusion between humans and Digimon, like it was suggested by someone when the first trailer came out.
Unless that idea has already been shot down in an interview. Has it? I have been too busy to pay attention to Digimon news recently.

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What if Menoa is Kōshirō's mysterious American friend who has been mentioned since Our War Game!, then once in 02 (which the dub replaced with Wallace), and all the way up to tri. but never seen or actually even named? Since this is supposedly the end of the Adventure universe's story, perhaps they decided to finally show that enigmatic person.

I don't think Yggdrasil is still a thing. Homeostasis shut it down at the end of tri., remember?

And your idea for "Last Evolution" is interesting, but I still think it's probably a new kind of Evolution, perhaps a fusion between humans and Digimon, like it was suggested by someone when the first trailer came out.
Unless that idea has already been shot down in an interview. Has it? I have been too busy to pay attention to Digimon news recently.
Being a child prodigy character, I could buy that. She certainly seems closer in age to the cast than Daigo from Tri. Personally, I think she’d be more interesting if she was that American friend because she’d have reason to know about every major event Tai and the others have taken part in.

There hasn’t been anything to deconfirm that theory as of yet, although this stuff about some sort of “secret” to the relationship between the Chosen and their partners can either make or break that fusion concept lol.

We do know everyone, including Daisuke and the 02 cast, will be getting new smartphone model Digivices so that’s something to keep in mind.