Netflix Japan Gets Digimon Adventure: a Week after TV Airing

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Netflix Japan has put up a standby page for Digimon Adventure: for Japan. (The pages is inaccessible unless Netflix geolocates you to Japan.)

They'll be streaming it in Japan after the premiere on TV in Japan.

The desktop information doesn't give any information about dates, but the mobile does...

The mobile app version of the page gives a start date of April 13th, so it appears those with Netflix in Japan will be able to watch episodes a week and a day after they premiere on TV. (Thanks to DexWillBeThere98 for the mobile image and some information that helped.)

The page will show information in most languages Netflix offers, with the description information swapping between Japanese and English based on various things (I was able to get both description versions on Spanish at one point for example.) The English version of the description localizes Taichi to Tai.

Another way to watch it in Japan, hopefully we get announcements for outside of Japan sooner rather than later.

Digimon Adventure: premieres Sunday, April 5th in Japan.

Attachments

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
the fact the japanese version is showing localised names there is interesting. it's probably a placeholder for a potential english subbed release but still.

also netflix like to dub series they get the rights to when it comes worldwide, so "maybe" netflix will cause a dub to get fasttracked. I suppose we'll have to see what happens. didnt think streaming would happen this fast though, so that's cool.

now to wonder if it'll say Gatomon or Tailmon

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
the fact the japanese version is showing localised names there is interesting. it's probably a placeholder for a potential english subbed release but still.

also netflix like to dub series they get the rights to when it comes worldwide, so "maybe" netflix will cause a dub to get fasttracked. I suppose we'll have to see what happens. didnt think streaming would happen this fast though, so that's cool.

now to wonder if it'll say Gatomon or Tailmon
Netflix requests localizations for description content whenever possible. It's rather normal whether they get it or 'not' to be honest.

One relevant example, all of tri. has localized info.

Slightly less relevant example (that might explain it better), Netflix has Chibi Maruko-chan, and 'that' has everything localized to English also. And we realistically are unlikely to get Maruko-chan.

It allows people to surf the interface in 'whatever' country they are in in the language they know best, regardless of what is available for content. (English being a high priority one, likely explaining why other languages are flipping between Japanese and English for Adventure:)

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll have to add to what Marc said. Just because you're an English-speaking person living in Japan does not mean everything on there is going to be subbed in English. It all depends on the content. For example, based off of what I've gathered, Digimon Adventure tri. is on Netflix Japan but has only Japanese subs (understandable), whereas Universal movies on there have multiple subtitle and language tracks. So even if they are using localized names in the description, that is no guarantee that there will be English subs on Netflix Japan on day one, let alone a release abroad.

EDIT: Though it'd be great if they DID do a Netflix release in other countries, India included. So far, none of the subbed trailers on YouTube seem to be geoblocked, which is a good sign. Also, this isn't an OVA series being handled by a company like Fathom or Manga UK that might not even have the rights to showcase content in certain countries. Hell, I don't think CRUNCHYROLL, for that matter, has rights to Digimon in India, which is why getting it on Netflix first is always a good thing.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am super jealous, I want this now.

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Netflix is not necessarily a good thing. They hostage animes and won't release them until the series is done in Japan. They did that with Beastars for example and Violet Evergarden. They will wait until the series is done. Which means if Netflix is getting Digimon Adventure worldwide, we won't be seeing a legit sub till the series is done airing in Japan.

I really hope Crunchyroll, Funimation, or Hulu gets it worldwide. That way we get the sub version every week.

Last edited:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Netflix is not necessarily a good thing. They hostage animes and won't release them until the series is done in Japan. They did that with Beastars for example and Violet Evergarden. They will wait until the series is done. Which means if Netflix is getting Digimon Adventure worldwide, we won't be seeing a legit sub till the series is done airing in Japan.

I really hope Crunchyroll, Funimation, or Hulu gets it worldwide. That way we get the sub version every week.
I also don't really like how they do dubs, tbh. they usually do episodes in batches so like... 10 episodes at once, then nothing for months, then 10 more etc. I like weekly or all at once I guess.

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
it would be a shame not to have localization since isn't this supposed to be an entry point for new fans to get into Adventure? Digimon needs more of an abroad presence again and if this Adventure is as good as the original Adventure then it could get a lot of kids into Digimon like it did back then

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While this could be nice to get, I do hope we could get subs weekly. I might even deal with having them a week off like I normally do for CR. But as I currently do have Netflix, this could also be good. But again, I really do want weekly releases.

DigiPokeMon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Does anyone know if this will get weekly subs from CR or not yet?

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Eh this isn't looking good for CR getting it, they dropped more titles that air the same date as Digimon Adventure.

Oh man this may be a show that doesn't even get an official sub if we get no announcements by Saturday.

mendinso

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Eh this isn't looking good for CR getting it, they dropped more titles that air the same date as Digimon Adventure.

Oh man this may be a show that doesn't even get an official sub if we get no announcements by Saturday.

For what it's worth, some of Crunchyroll's announcements can literally be up until the very last minute, which has happened multiple times. Marc or someone else can chime on this and confirm this, but GeGeGe no Kitaro got announced literally right around when it aired. This doesn't mean they'll get Adventure, but something that needs to be stated.

Digitalguy

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And they have picked stuff like DBS late.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For what it's worth, some of Crunchyroll's announcements can literally be up until the very last minute, which has happened multiple times. Marc or someone else can chime on this and confirm this, but GeGeGe no Kitaro got announced literally right around when it aired. This doesn't mean they'll get Adventure, but something that needs to be stated.
Kitaro was announced, as I recall, like 2 or 3 hours before it premiered (and Adventure: is the show replacing it in the timeslot in Japan.)

A simulcast also doesn't necessarily need to begin on day 1. There are real world issues at the moment that could easily cause a delay. The simulcast could always be announced 'after' episode 1 begins, and toss up 1 or 2 episodes before matching up finally.

Even tri. part 6 was only announced the day before it streamed. (Most of tri. was not announced that far ahead of time. Part 1 had people 'go to sleep' with no expectation of us getting it at all, and if they slept in it was out when they got up.)

mendinso

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Crunchyroll got it. Only seeing the news up on the French side right now, but it's more-or-less World Wide except Asia.

EDIT: English article went up as I was just posting it. You can view it here.

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm so screwed. I live on the East Coast, so hi 10:30 pm air time for me.