MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A bit of an update...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Now that Cyber Sleuth: Complete Edition is out, we're hopefully at the beginning of getting more and more Survive details.

Today we have some story updates that ties into both recent info from Famitsu, along with the intro animation.

The intro animation for anyone who wants to re-watch it before reading.

The story info expands and clarifies various details that we've gotten going back a year or so, but has an especially heavy focus on the more recent details:
The group in the intro are part of a multi-school extracurricular camping trip that studies history. Takuma Momozuka's group consists of his friend Minoru Hyuuga and Aoi Shibuya, who is one year older than the boys and from a different school.

They decide their project will be on "Kemonogami" (Beast God), which is a local-based-only religion, and visit the shrine that holds its rituals. The legend of the Beast God goes as far as the Kamakura period (as early as 1185). A powerful clan that lived back in those days borrowed the power of a god, who lived in the mountains and was similar in appearance to a beast, to gain wealth, which earned its wrath so the clan was annihilated.

The locals were so afraid of the Beast God's anger that they gave their children to it as a ritual peace offering. Although this all happened long ago, whenever children enter the shrine that was used for this ritual even to this day, it's said that those children are spirited away.

On the morning of the 2nd day at their camp, the phenomenon approaches and Takuma, Minoru, and Aoi end up wandering into the world of this fading legend...

Nothing super different than what we've seen previously, but it does expand on various things and also puts a few pieces together.

The Gamer article that gives the expanded story details also reiterates things we knew about the battle system (using 'energy' to evolve, evolving giving you advantages in fighting, etc.)

Thanks to onkei for the translation.

Digimon Survive can currently be pre-ordered at Amazon.com: (affiliate links)
Digimon Survive for PS4
Digimon Survive for Switch
Digimon Survive for Xbox One

Survive is currently scheduled for 2020.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh I thought it's random wild Digimon took children for Digital adventure but I seriously doubt it's a digimon that destroyed the whole clan but it could be Virus type who loves to manipulate but the news said it got angry for unknown reasons maybe it's Data type. Or so... Yggdrasil? Or "Beast god" probably was long gone.

Yup nothing comes to my mind. But that's pretty dark legend. I think Survive's legend story will be just nothing but tiny incident in the past which I don't want that... Suspiciously that legend have so many theories I can think up of. Glad Survive news are still continuing instead of waiting for every month. It pleases me well

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It’s still so weird how they retconned Digimon from being programs invented by humans accidentally in the 1980s and 1990s into literal ancient gods and demons. Whereas years ago Lucemon was merely data on Lucifer that came to life, now he’s literally Satan.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It definitely feels a bit different, connecting Digimon to the worship of Kami.

I wonder how deep this is going to go... :O

shaikgb

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
in the gamer article mark linked into there are some gameplay screenshots at the bottom are they new? because i don't remember some of these mons being confirmed to be in the game yet

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope the secondary characters’ partners, like obscure Labramon and classic Falcomon, will be other forgotten Digimon from the same era: Leormon, Commandramon, Kokabuterimon, Swimmon, Bearmon , Koemon, Kotemon and the like.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder how many new Digimons this game will introduce. Will it be usual 4 (Rookie to Mega), or maybe more? Or maybe none?

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh I think Aoi being from a different school is new info. Cool they were able to make friends with someone like that. Or maybe it's just me who can't lol. I guess it explains about Saki, she's from a different school too I guess.

I wonder how many new Digimons this game will introduce. Will it be usual 4 (Rookie to Mega), or maybe more? Or maybe none?
HM only added one new Mon.

Habu has said before though he likes making new dudes for new games, so we'll get at least one I assume.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, Hudiemon.

Most likely that Kemonogami will become a Kemonogamimon. So maybe that 100 available Digimons won't be that sad if he will add some new dudes and evolution lines.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
in the gamer article mark linked into there are some gameplay screenshots at the bottom are they new? because i don't remember some of these mons being confirmed to be in the game yet
Just looked, yes they are new screenshots.

So new Digimon confirmed:

Monzaemon
Deramon (Floramon? prob not since it's an enemy mon)
Dobermon (Assuming this is Labramon's Champion form based on the context of the image)

That brings us to 21 Digimon

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Increased one more reason to buy Survive: Dobermon.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It’s still so weird how they retconned Digimon from being programs invented by humans accidentally in the 1980s and 1990s into literal ancient gods and demons. Whereas years ago Lucemon was merely data on Lucifer that came to life, now he’s literally Satan.
I’d be pleased as punch if they took this in the direction of an actual Kamakura–period beast god digimon, but it’s entirely possible that it’s just a modern portal to the Digital World sucking children in, and the fact that it’s near the site of Mediæval human sacrifices could be either coincidence, or a similarity that caused the portal to manifest there without any actual beast god being involved.

But man I hope it’s human sacrifice.

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Didn’t they say that they were going to try to avoid Cyborg and Machine Digimon to fit with the Digimon as Nature Kami narrative? If that is the case, I wonder if we’re getting new Greymon Perfect and Ultimate forms given that nearly all of those turn Greymon into Cyborgs or Metal Empire Digimon . . .

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Didn’t they say that they were going to try to avoid Cyborg and Machine Digimon to fit with the Digimon as Nature Kami narrative? If that is the case, I wonder if we’re getting new Greymon Perfect and Ultimate forms given that nearly all of those turn Greymon into Cyborgs or Metal Empire Digimon . . .
We already saw MetalGreymon. And Agumon turning into him as well.

and they said they will include Digimon that fit the setting, nothing about not including robots.

Minor trivia:

If you dont count the three Korean games that weren't released in Japan and appearances as a collectable card/medal this is Dobermon's video game debut (same for Labramon and OG Falcomon)

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

and they said they will include Digimon that fit the setting, nothing about not including robots.

Minor trivia:

If you dont count the three Korean games that weren't released in Japan and appearances as a collectable card/medal this is Dobermon's video game debut (same for Labramon and OG Falcomon)
Labramon, Falcomon, and Agumon are all known for having expansive branching evolution families that retain their themes which might be why they were picked . . .

Hopefully they get models for the next Story entry. I’m loving Cybersleuth but missing a lot of lesser known Digimon (like the the Pendulum era Digimon from Digimon World 2.)

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope "ghosts" in the classroom in the trailer we seen who were singing that "creepy song" better be connected with that old legend to tell us the whole story.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Minor trivia:

Labramon, Falcomon, and Agumon are all known for having expansive branching evolution families that retain their themes which might be why they were picked . . .

Hopefully they get models for the next Story entry. I’m loving Cybersleuth but missing a lot of lesser known Digimon (like the the Pendulum era Digimon from Digimon World 2.)
You and me both. I'm hoping anything in Survive is also carried over to the next Story game. Whilst OG Falcomon is a recolour (technically 2006 is, but at this point the original is what will count as recolour like Blue MetalGreymon) since he's now shown up here, I want him in the next game now. Plus we do have a lack of Bird Digimon. We have Biyomon, Hawkmon, and 2006 Falcomon and that's about it, so he can help balance I guess.

DarkMoon250

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It wasn't Satan's fault for his falling, it was just part of his digivolution line! ;p

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's not so much a retcon as it's just this world's version. Every game/movie/manga/etc. is its own universe with its own rules, and digimon enforces this pretty strongly. So while digimon in most universes can still be considered to have been created when the first digital technology came to exist (or at least were first able to make contact, depending on the universe), this just happens to be one where they already were around, seemingly. There could always be unsynchronized time shenanigans going on, which is my personal headcanon to explain them still being "digital" monsters and such.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The more I read about Survive, the more convinced I become that this beast god is related to the Four Holy Beasts. They always were more morally grey figures, so they would fit well with the idea of helping humans in the past, but then turning on them when they felt the humans exploited them.