Medabots Update

NewsBot

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Someone asked Shout about it and their DVD producer Brian Ward (More commonly known on the Shout forum as B Ward) responded on the Shout! Forums

"I am currently working on the English version of Medabots. Right now, we're releasing the complete first season (26 episodes) over four discs. You can expect that to hit stores at the beginning of the year."

Take that to mean whatever you will I guess.

-- <span style="font-variant: small-caps; font-size: 9pt;">godofchaos</span>

Source: Medabots? Thread (Shout! Factory Community Forums)

shermpmc

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
GAH, if I have a job by then I'm so totally buying it. ^^ I miss Medabots.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I should note, B Ward always does his best to put extras on sets, often Shout MAKES extras just so fans have 'something' even if it's just character profiles and a bit of artwork.

I always love when Shout gets ANYTHING I enjoy because it means it will get a good DVD release.

A few other shows I enjoy that they've done the disks of.

Freaks and Geeks
MST3K
Sonic the Hedgehog (all the DiC series)
The Super Mario Super Show
Captain N
The Adventures of Super Mario 3
Inspector Gadget

and they are currently doing a box of the Sam and Max Series

DarkTamer Steph

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I loved the animation in it... just didn't care too much for the theme. (much like how I didn't care too much for the dub theme on Digimon)

shermpmc

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I kinda liked the dub theme, but the slogan "More Medabots, More Power" made absolutely no sense... if I remember right, the main characters, at least, only had 1 robot. xP

One theme song in the original, though (I believe OP3) was really crappy, though. "WE ARE SUPER GUYS" D:

Chris McFeely

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=GordoBaggins link=topic=5092.msg65633#msg65633 date=1189629529]
I kinda liked the dub theme, but the slogan "More Medabots, More Power" made absolutely no sense... if I remember right, the main characters, at least, only had 1 robot. xP[/quote]

But then it made *total* sense in the final episode, in which Metabee was unable to pilot the giant version of himself on his own, and to accomplush the task required: "More Medabots, More Power!" Probably completely unintentional, but fucking *brilliant.*

Holy God, I miss Medabots.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now, due to classes and stuff at the time, I never saw ANY of season 3.

I was always told that due to the crazy inconsistances, characters missing, and other stuff, it doesn't really fit as a 'season 3' and is more a 'sequel' to an alternate 'season 1/2', or should just be taken as an alternate story with similiar characters (akin to a tenchi, or adventure/02 and tamers, although tamers had new characters)

anyone care to inform a bit?

i do know it had a new production crew, new animation team, and all that, but beyond what ive been told i have no idea

and the original newspost for the original news i made on this was originally gonna end with a comical comment about mcfeely and humping of some sort.

....of course...im assuming season 3 was even AIRED in the usa, it's possible i was always informed just be people who has seen raws or fansubs.... (didnt think about that)

I just know i missed a good majority of season 2, and didnt see anything (if anything DID air in the usa) past that

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Double posting due to a bit more info.

For both Oban and Medabots 'alternate' audio tracks have been requested.

It depends completely on if the audio matches the footage and any number of other things.

I'm pretty sure Medabots had 'edited' video so I'd expect no regardless.

Oban I'm pretty sure was dubbed completely uncut, so I guess it depends what video masters Shout has and what audio they are provided with.

No guarentees either way though.

Here is the exact text.

"Hard to say. With all of the Nelvana and Jetix titles, I've asked about foreign language versions. Here's what you may or may not know... Some foreign language versions are actually longer or shorter than the English versions in terms of shots. Because it's not always possible to fit an entire line of dialogue in Japanese over an English translation (or vice versa), certain shots have to be held a little longer or even cut shorter. Which means, if there are any discrepancies between languages, we'd have to put two versions of the same episode's video on there as well. This obviously takes up twice as much space, making it considerably harder to fit an appropriate number of episodes onto the disc. Like I said, we are looking into it, but can't promise anything at this time."

jadenik

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=5092.msg65635#msg65635 date=1189630298]
Now, due to classes and stuff at the time, I never saw ANY of season 3.

I was always told that due to the crazy inconsistances, characters missing, and other stuff, it doesn't really fit as a 'season 3' and is more a 'sequel' to an alternate 'season 1/2', or should just be taken as an alternate story with similiar characters (akin to a tenchi, or adventure/02 and tamers, although tamers had new characters)

anyone care to inform a bit?

i do know it had a new production crew, new animation team, and all that, but beyond what ive been told i have no idea

and the original newspost for the original news i made on this was originally gonna end with a comical comment about mcfeely and humping of some sort.

....of course...im assuming season 3 was even AIRED in the usa, it's possible i was always informed just be people who has seen raws or fansubs.... (didnt think about that)

I just know i missed a good majority of season 2, and didnt see anything (if anything DID air in the usa) past that
[/quote]

Season 3 was aired in america , most of the new bots were ripoffs of some from the first two seasons. I only seen a couple of episodes though but I have seen some of the designs.

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To answer your questions, I don't know whether the dub of season 3 aired in the U.S. or not, but it *did* air on yTV up here in Canada~ (as far as I can recall... I *do* remember watching it)

I can't say about the original, but the dub was pretty good. Didn't compair to the original series, for reasons of story I think, but it *was* pretty good.

As for missing characters, I don't remember seeing Kouji or Karin in there... (might be wrong though), and Medabee had a crush on some Mermaid Medabot. Don't know who she belonged to, but it seemed like Ikki had a crush on Nae (a Medabot mechanic, and older than him... )

The plot went something like this:

Prof. Aki's company was testing a Medabot (a large, powerful medabot) when the Rubberrobo Gang decided that it was lost without a leader... So they elected... I think it was Seaslug, who infiltrated Prof. Aki's company and got a job. There, he fell in love with a co-worker and considered quitting the Rubberobo Gang. Though a stupid (and I mean *realy* stupid) misunderstanding, he ended up in tears with a broken heart and went pure evil (well, not realy, but he was being a jerk) and tried to steal the prototype Medabot. This is where a big battle ensues, and I think he got away with the Medal...

Elsewhere, a company was rivaling Prof. Aki's and altering the Medals so that they could have enhanced processing power (I think) and give the Medabot enhanced combat skills. This was also turning the Medabots into mindless fighting machines...

There was about 50 Medabots, and they all got put together into a 'Battle Arena' (that looked like a wasteland-battlefield), and the one that survived got to live (the others' Medals were supposed to get destroyed in the Battle, as far as I can remember). The surviving Medabot lost an eye, and was called BlackBeetle.

This Medabot, as far as I know, was the only one who survived the 'chaning the Medal for enhanced combat skills' proceedure with some of her personality intact.

I can't remember exactly what all the details were, because there was very little overarching plot over many of the first episodes, but I remember BlackBeetle becoming Black Devil at some point, and some *major* chaos happening...

I'm going to be putting the Medabots card scans on my site soon, if you want me to link some of the Characters and Medabots for you~

Hagaren Gao

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
SUH-WEET.

I used to love this show, so I'm totally stoaked for this. So much of my money was wasted on toys! <3

Thanks for this awesome news ^^

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like I said, This makes me happy. And now I may be able to see some episodes I missed and see all the episodes again.

gerjomarty

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seems like the Oban DVDs were handled excellently from what I've seen of them, so there's high hopes for Medabots. It must be over 10 years since I last seen Medabots by now. Used to be on close to Digimon on Fox Kids. Ahh, memories.

The thing I remember is that Mr. Referee appeared to referee every single match, no matter where it was. Massive plot hole, but who cares?

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Plothole? No. He has match tracking Ref abilities. Any match and he can find it. I think he may use something like a hammerspace or pocket dimension.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember Medabots. It was interesting, but was a little similar to Megaman NT Warrior (or at least enough for me to always mix up what happened on what show). I think at least a season or two were aired in America, but it was several years ago and I can't remember it as well...oh, well...

Websurfer145

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ooh, I loved Medabots. Even bought some of the older DVDs. I probably still have a lot of the first seasons episodes on tape somewhere.

Hm, first season, 26 episodes. How far did that go again? Up to Ikki and Medabee being ranked high enough to get into the World Medabot Championship? Or was it the one with when Ikki and Medabee got into that feud? And I don't so much consider Mr. Referee a plothole so much as a fundamental part of robattling. And it was usually very funny too.

Anyway, the second Medabot series was dubbed, and was on ABC Family for a little bit, I think. It was horrible. There was the core cast of Ikki, Medabee, his parents, Erika and her Medabot, Samantha and her underlings, and... that was it. Dr. Aki later showed up, but everybody else just vanished and was never acknowledged. No Rokusho, Henry/Phantom Renegade, Rubberobos, nobody. Although I only saw the dub, so no idea how it was in the original. There were some minor references to the last world championship (Ikki got second, I think), but that was it. Most of the series was focused on some Gary Stu character named Zuru, who was the "mysterious person in disguise" who had a grudge against Kilobots. Tying into how Medabot medals are copies of the ancient robot medals, apparently with Medabot medals they only copied some of the original stuff, but included personalities, etc. With Kilobots, they just put in combat stuff, so no soul basically. Also, Kilobot fighters tend to be cheaters, like they ignore all the rules. Speaking of rules, they didn't have Mr. Referee anymore! I loved that guy. Anyway, Ikki loses a lot while the masked Zuru guy usually shows him up, he also has a Rokusho rip-off then gets another Medabot so near the end he using two Medabots and winning usually. Also there was that mechanic lady, who had some kind of backstory, who Ikki sorta crushed on (being she was pretty and nice to him), and like most of the series two characters, got lots of screen time. Though there were some interesting ideas, like with how Kilobots are soulless, they're immune to the Medaforce apparently, something about having no soul/feelings to take the damage. Not entirely if that was consistent with Series 1, but... in terms of problems, that was one of the minor ones. There was some sorta-psychotic kid who believed his soulless Kilobots were superior to Medabts, but Ikki and Zuru kept beating Kilobots (though Ikki was usually more on the sidelines by now). Blackbettle was an experiment to build a Kilobot with a mind/soul and she was very tough. Though she eventually ran away as the Kilobot kid, Kam, was a twisted little jerk with how he forced several dozen Kilobots to fight to the death, with the last survivor being the strongest. She won at first, then started losing (as normal in anime), then Kam tried to put her inside yet another monstrously strong body, then she ran away, then Kam forced her to come back, and... that's all I saw. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if they ever showed the finale. It looked like they were two, maybe three epiisodes from the series finale... then they stopped showing. I'm not sure if they showed it and I missed it, or not, but it disappeared from the schedule shortly after that. And ABC Family's Jetix block was already starting to die out by then too.

Why do anime series so often get dubbed until nearly the very end then just stop? And sometimes are never finished, or take years.

Anyway, the first series/season was great, I'll probably try to buy the DVDs as they come out. I'm never sure how far a dub strays from the original, though sometimes its obvious (like the Davis bashing in the 02 dub).

And there were fansubs of Medabots? I'm not asking for where, or for a link, I'm just surprised that there were some. Then again, I've never really looked, but I was never sure how well-known the series was, and with how old it is. Or maybe I just joined the internet way too late to see any.

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
http://www.nelvana.com/shows/episodes_template.asp?sid=28

Season 3 did, indeed have the Rubberobo gang in there ( remember quite clearly Seaslug's little crush on a co-worker thing), and it has Rokusho in there too, although neither him nor the Rubberrobos got much screen time...

Zuru was a reporter, as far as I know. Kamome (full first name) was the soulless jerk, and yes, I remember the Kilobots now...

I also remember a full season finale on YTV, but I don't remember reruns, sadly...

Nae, the mechanic, I think used to work for Prof. Aki until she decided to branch out on her own and just become a Medabot mechanic... think she might be his relative too, but I can't remember. : / *vaguely remember her being possibly Karin's cousin*

Websurfer145

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What exactly is defined as Season 3 though? Sorry, I remember the story somewhat well, but never had much idea how they were grouped.

Anyway, after the giant Medabee vs. the giant Baby Blue thing, then the stupid Kilobot season started, that much I remember. Maybe the Rubberrobos showed up, no real idea, I didn't catch every single episode or watch them a lot.

Oh yeah, that was her name, Miss Nae. She was what, Dr. Aki's neice, or granddaughter or something. Or maybe Karin was the neice. Not that either Karin or Koji showed up, though a Sumilidon rip-off did. And YTV got the full series? Dammit. Oh well, it didn't look like it was going to be a big explosive interesting one unlike with the giant Medabee.

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
According to Wiki, in Japan, there were 52 episodes in series 1, and for the dub the original episode 39 was omitted (not sure how correct that is, though).

In the dub, the first 'series' in Japan was broken up into 2 seasons: Season 1 had episodes 1 - 26, while Season 2 had episodes 27 - 51 (with the giant Metabee, and Dr. MetaEvil leaving on a spaceship with Prof. Hushi or something... )

After that, the whole Kilobot thing started, at dub episode 52. That was the start of the 'second series' in Japan, and ran 39 episodes (in the dub as well, as far as I know, which ended the entire Medabots dub series at episode 90).