Looking for a good anime film

Agu-Chan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've been interested in watching a good anime feature film lately. I really haven't seen too many of those(minus the ones related to a tv series) with it being a less than a handful.

Kotonoha no Niwa 5/10
Aura: Maryuinkoga Saigo no Tatakai 6/10
Mirai no Mirai 8/10
Summer Wars 9/10
Kimi no Na wa. 7/10

Anyone got a good anime film they would like to recommend? PS. Not one related to a tv series.

Last edited:

Leoil01

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You are umasou is great fav anime movie it also has a sequel

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A few off the top of my head:

• Pretty much any Ghibli film for a start.
  • Any film by Satoshi Kon.
  • "Anthem of the Heart" - A coming of age story about a quartet of troublesome high schoolers who get made to create a community project.
  • "Sword of the Stranger" - Basically a samurai western. A wandering samurai ends up mixed up in a conspiracy involving Chinese cultists and a mysterious young boy. Hands down some of the best swordfighting animation in anime.
  • "Giovanni's Island" - Basically The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas...but with the Soviets as the bad guys instead of the Nazis.
  • "In This Corner of the World" - Another WWII film but focusing instead on the life of a Japanese woman at home during the conflict.
  • "AKIRA" - Pretty much *the* Sci-Fi anime movie.
  • "REDLINE "- Basically what if Death Race was more like Star Wars. One of the rare anime films in the 21st century that was completely hand-drawn, taking eight years to do so...as a result it is absolutely gorgeous to watch if nothing else.
  • "The Girl Who Leapt through Time" - High School girl gains the ability to go back in time and hijinks ensue.
  • "Miss Hokusai" - A historical drama featuring the titular woman, an artist in Edo Japan who lives in the shadow of her genius father.
  • "Ninja Scroll" - Some ninjas try to take over the country and some other ninjas try to stop them...but the plot isn't why you watch this, it's the raw 90's edge - the uncensored gore, sex and beautiful animation make it a lightning in a bottle experience.

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Miyazaki would be the most ‘predictable’ response, but he very adamantly despises anime and having his work compared to it.

Millennium Actress was always a standout for me.

Runner up would be Osamu Tezuka‘s Metropolis.

Last edited:

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Miyazaki would be the most ‘predictable’ response, but he very adamantly despises anime and having his work compared to it.
I honestly find Miyazaki slightly over-rated. Don't get me wrong, he did some fantastic work, though I'd say his earlier works are among his best. I dunno, I guess I just didn't find Spirited Away all it was cracked up to be (it being one of the only anime to ever be nominated for an Oscar..... but nowadays, I view award shows as a god damn, exclusionary circle-jerk of a joke anyway, especially with their apparent bias against animation in general), and the films that followed weren't all that much better. What particularly saddens me is that he's more or less the only Japanese director to grow into a household name here in the states while other talented directors are tossed by the wayside (and even Miyazaki's own recognition seems to have been at least partially helped by the titan known as Disney), though it is nice to see the likes of Shinkai and Hosoda rising more in prominence. Needless to say, his boomer views on the anime industry don't particularly help.

Speaking of Shinkai, if you just feel like seeing something technically impressive, check out Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star). The dude animated it completely by himself.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You've already got "Mirai no Mirai" and "Summer Wars". I'd definitely complete the Mamoru Hosoda back-catalogue.
"The Boy and the Beast" and "Wolf Children" are both great.
So is "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", especially in it's emotional through-line, though the time travel mechanics get a little distractingly wangy in Act 3.

I haven't seen it yet, but the latest CGI Lupin III film is meant to be a lot of fun.

"Promare". A "Studio Trigger" tour deforce.
Basically a film about fire-fighters who people with fire-based super powers.

Last edited:

Ultimamon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Runner up would be Osamu Tezuka‘s Metropolis.

Tezuka's stuff seriously doesn't get enough love outside of japan. I'm so sick of the likes of Ghibli being constantly peddled as the defacto representation of Anime (which Miyazaki hates anyway as pointed out), when the guy who essentially created the genre gets virtually ignored by western media.

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I saw Shinkai name checked, Your Name and Weathering With You are both pretty good.

Shout out to Mari Okada's Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms for a deeply introspective and, frankly, depressing as hell fantasy piece, probably one of my favorites that I'll never watch again.