List of tributes-cameos-nods-references in Digimon Xros Wars (Manga)

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since I absolutely love the manga of Digimon Xros Wars, I would like to post a quite comprehensive list of tributes-cameos-nods-references that come out in this manga (in case that you haven't read it yet, this section may contain plenty of SPOILERS):

ANIME:
ADVENTURE:
-Taichi, Yamato, and Omegamon's cameo.
-Tailmon and Wizarmon had already been in the Human World before. Tailmon even claims that she had previously traveled to the Human World with her human partner (reference to Hikari Yagami). Since Tailmon also states that this events took place hundred years ago, it's likely that the Chosen Children from Adventure no longer exist by the time of the manga. This may explain that Hikari is now depicted as Homeostasis itself while holding Bagramon's Digitama in the last chapter of the manga.
-Tailmon and Wizarmon have a special bond (it's interesting to see Wizarmon jealous of Taiki). In Adventure was only implied, but in Xros Wars is more like a formal romantic interest.
-At the end of the manga, Tailmon mentions that he would water Wizarmon again once she finds him, if he is dumped somewhere in the Multiverse, referring to the scene when they first met in Adventure (in episode 34). It is therefore confirmed that they are the same ones that appeared in this anime. It is also mentioned that Wizarmon comes originally from another World (Witchelny), as it is revealed in "Before the World Ends", one of the two CD Dramas that conmemorates the 15th Anniversary of this series.
-Tailmon's human form resembles both Hikari and Angewomon.
-The final evolution of Tailmon is Angewomon.
-Some members of the Xros Heart United Army are important Digimon of the anime and evolve into the same Digimon that evolved in the anime:
Birdramon -> Garudamon
Ikkakumon -> Zudomon
Garurumon -> Were Garurumon
Togemon -> Lilimon
-After the final battle against UltimateChaosmon, Shoutmon and his band (composed of the most important members of the Xros Heart except for Cutemon and Dorulumon), sing at a concert, in a tribute to Wada Koji and his most iconic song: Butter-Fly.
-The God of the Digimon is called Homeostasis. (For those who do not know, in the novels of Adventure the beings of light who possessed Hikari in episode 45 were called Homeostasis).

ADVENTURE 02:
-Miyako, Daisuke, and XV-mon's cameo.
-The Jogress Evolution takes place (Starmon and the Pickmon - Chibickmon into Shooting Starmon).
-Some members of the Xros Heart United Army are important Digimon of the anime and evolve into the same Digimon that evolved in the anime:
V-mon -> XV-mon
Hawkmon -> Aquilamon
Armadimon -> Ankylomon
Wormmon -> Stingmon

TAMERS:
-Takato, Guilmon, Dukemon, Ruki, and Hirokazu's cameo.
-The Digixros human-Digimon is compared with the Matrix Evolution.
-Jijimon and Babamon are a couple.
-Many of the Digimon that appear in the final assault at the Jupiter Zone coincide with the Mega Level Digimon that appear in episode 40.
-As in this anime, the natural evolution of the Digimon ceases to occur in the Digital World, and it is only recovered in the final battle.
Guilmon -> Growmon
Kyubimon -> Taomon
Galgomon -> Rapidmon

FRONTIER:
-Takuya and Agnimon's cameo.
-The sword of Tactimon, "Jatetsufujiinmaru", is made with the Zero-Arms Orochi's data, the weapon of Susanoomon (if the Bagra Army massacred Susanoomon, or they only found the weapon's data instead, it is not specified).
-Agnimon and Fairymon are part of the Xros Heart United Army (Xros Heart side), and evolve into Aldhamon and Shutumon. They even have a very similar relationship to the one hinted between Takuya and Izumi in the series.
-As recently revealed, the original idea for Digimon Frontier was to do a more battle oriented series held in a 'Battle Stadium', in which a Digimon and a human merged to have a one on one battle. Interestingly enough, a nod to this discarded concept could be that of Agnimon and Fairymon were recruited by the Xros Heart United Army after having visited the Colosseum Zone.
-Ranamon and Blizzarmon are part of the Xros Heart United Army (Blue Flare side). Ranamon is Kiriha's fangirl. Interestingly enough, it's an inside-out version of Ranamon with a fan club as shown in the anime series.
-Ornismon as the henchman of DarkKnightmon (in analogy with Murmukusmon); It is also mentioned that it is a legendary Digimon that caused a great havoc in the Digital World of another time.
-Lucemon (rookie) makes a cameo in the history of the Royal Knights.
-Dynasmon and Lord Knightmon have the same personalities that they had in this series.

SAVERS:
-Masaru, Agumon, ShineGreymon, and Yggdrasill_7D6 make a cameo.
-The God that Bagramon and the Royal Knights serve, is Yggdrasill (hence, Homeostasis and Yggdrasill may be the same being).
-The Tree of Information, Yggdrasill, is destroyed, just as it was at the end of Savers. Bagramon uses part of the remains of the Tree to rebuild his own body.
-It is mentioned the attack to the Human World that happened in this anime.
-BanchoLeomon is a member of the Xros Heart United Army.
-Belphemon: Sleep Mode makes a cameo in the history of the Royal Knights.

XROS WARS (ANIME):

-Tatsuya, the friend of Taiki's athletic team, looks like Yuu (Hunter-tachi version).
-Bagramon and DarkKnightmon are brothers.
-Bagramon invented the Xros Loaders.
-Bagramon defeated Omegamon.
-Beelzemon (2010) and Deckerdramon are part of the Xros Heart United Army. Beelzemon has a similar story to that of Baalmon in the anime, and is also looking for the person responsible for the breakdown of Sandoria in the Sand Zone. The responsible is also Lilithmon just like in the anime, but it is not specified the ways in which she did so.
- Some of the Commanders of the Bagra Army, such as Neptunemon and Ancient Volcamon, are mentioned in the manga.
-Dorulumon and Cutemon have the same historical background that they had in the anime.
-The story of Tactimon and Dorulumon is the same as the anime as well.
-Knightmon and his PawnChessmon are mentioned in the manga - they were defeated by Dorulumon.
-Leviamon makes a cameo in the history of the Royal Knights.
-Damemon/Tuwarmon and Tyutyumon are DarkKnightmon's henchmen.
-Spadamon, Coronamon and Lunamon are friends, just like in the anime.
-Lillymon is a childhood friend of Shoutmon, just like in the anime.
-As in the anime, the goal is to get the 108 Code Crowns and rebuild the Digital World. However, in the manga Bagramon is unable to create the Seven Kingdoms (and he does not intend to do so either. Unlike the Bagramon of the anime, the one in the manga is not interested in performing the D5...it has more effective plans, like using Zeed Millenniumon).
-Gumdramon forms part of the audience in the concert of Shoutmon and his band. Furthermore, Tagiru and Gumdramon make a cameo at the end of the manga.
-As in Hunter-tachi, Bagramon turns out to be good at the end...although in the manga, he dies while protecting his brother.
-Shoutmon X7: Superior Mode appears as the supreme DigiXros, same as in the anime.

MANGA:
V-TAMER:

-When he was young, Ulforce V-dramon had a human partner, and along with him, he saved the Digital World (reference to the original Taichi Yagami, implying that Ulforce V-dramon is in fact Zeromaru, which is later on confirmed in one of the omakes of the manga). Thanks to his great deeds and his superior powers, the God of the Digimon invested him with the title of Royal Knight.
-Ulforce V-dramon fights the Arkadimon of the Bagra Army, in a reference to his battle in V-Tamer.

MISCELLANEOUS:
-Lillymon and Sunflowmon are members of the Xros Heart United Army, and have always been best friends. The funny thing is that both can evolve into Rosemon when reaching the Mega level.
-Zeed Millenniumon makes reference to the Wonderswan games of Ryo Akiyama. It is still the most powerful existing Digimon enemy, and just like in Ryo's games, it could only be defeated by using a Deux Ex Machina.
-MadLeomon is replaced by a smarter version of the zombie lion, MachLeomon.
-The Lilithmon of the manga is a member of the Seven Great Lords Demon, so it is much stronger and tremendous than its counterpart of the anime. Unlike the greedy Lilithmon of the anime, the Lilithmon of the manga is deeply in love with Bagramon, on which cause she betrayed her old group in order to join the Bagra forces.
-Troopmon and Tactimon are related. Apparently, Bagramon created Tactimon in the same way that the Troopmon were created, but giving him special powers.
-Bagramon and Dark Knightmon mention that Shoutmon is not an ordinary Digimon. Lilithmon even mentions feeling the presence of a sleeping Royal Knight when he is near to her. At the end of the manga, Bagramon implies that the sleeping essence of Omegamon is within Shoutmon (explaining in this way how Shoutmon obtained the powers of Omegamon and could evolve into OmegaShoutmon).
-In addition to manifesting in the form of Yggdrasill_7D6, one of the physical bodies of the God of the Digimon/Homeostasis/Yggdrasill is the Code Crown itself.
-Since the natural evolution of the Digimon is blocked, inasmuch as human had lost their capacity to dream, the DigiXros is the only way to obtain more power, and therefore the Digimon see it as a legendary evolution.
-Although the members of the Xros Heart in the anime, Yuu, Mervamon, Death Generals, and even the characters from Hunter-tachi, does not appear as such in the manga, some of them show up in the omakes that come up with the compilation volumes.

5876Haq.png

Thanks to Zeromaru X from Fdzeta forums for the bits of information.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey, that was cool read! That's a pretty good comprehensive list of all the callbacks to other seasons that the XW manga makes. Thanks for compiling it all!

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really need to read the Xros Wars Manga, I love cameos and trivia and fanservice like this.

Chisana Minamoto

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do not know what people still have that's Zeromaru. It's bothersome. What I've read so UlforceV-dramon should indeed be similar Zeromaru, but it should not be Zero. It was supposed to be just a certain link. Like other things.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do not know what people still have that's Zeromaru. It's bothersome. What I've read so UlforceV-dramon should indeed be similar Zeromaru, but it should not be Zero. It was supposed to be just a certain link. Like other things.
Apart from the coincidences themselves, the author confirmed in one of the omakes that this UlforceVeedramon is indeed Zeromaru:
Z1cGFNS.jpg

Digi_TaKi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Apart from the coincidences themselves, the author confirmed in one of the omakes that this UlforceVeedramon is indeed Zeromaru:
Z1cGFNS.jpg

What is an "omake" ? is it in the manga itself ?

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Doesn't Ulforce also mention that he has experience fighting Arkadimon?

Chisana Minamoto

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Z1cGFNS.jpg

My friend translated. And "so that's noting that Xros UlforceVeedramon is a similar character to Zeromaru, but not the same. " The text does not say that it is a Zeromaru, but it is a character created in his honor. Please do not take your wishful thinking as truth. Remember that some things are done for the fans. So I understand that if they made connections with other worlds, but when you look at it closer. Not all fit into a single timeline. Can not satisfactorily explain how events in the human world and the digital world, once all season. One possibility would have been. Complete restart both worlds, after every big event somewhere and just let something like a the spirit of of the past.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Your friend is wrong, or your English is unclear.

It says that "all of the Royal Knights appear as their original characterizations. UlForceVdramon is imagined as if he's Zeromaru from the famous Digimon Manga V-Tamer01, but all grown up."

Last edited:

Chisana Minamoto

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Your friend is wrong, or your English is unclear.

It says that "all of the Royal Knights appear as their original characterizations. UlForceVdramon is imagined as if he's Zeromaru from the famous Digimon Manga V-Tamer01, but all grown up."

Well...Two independent sources told me so. Probably both didn't speak much Japanese. And both argue that this does not mean that this particular UlforceV-dramon is directly Zero. It's just somebody like him a lot. Supposedly this is a tribute. I wonder if Dukemon is one of Tamers or Savers...

sirtao

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Basically, the author couldn't say it was Zeromaru.... but it was Zeromaru, for all intents and purposes.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is kind of unrelated, but I love how in Vdramon's profile in the DRB mentions Vtamer, so when his profile was used for Cyber Sleuth it means we got a VTamer reference in it. And I love how Lighdramon is a doggy Vdramon because Vdramon kept being called a dog for some reason. I'm not sure if that one was intentional though.

Bandai already has Tri, and Mameo in Next Order. When are we going to get a new Vtamer!

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Basically, the author couldn't say it was Zeromaru.... but it was Zeromaru, for all intents and purposes.
That's exactly the point. For some reason, V-Tamer has a very restrictive copyright, even nowdays, so I can see why the author was being kind of cautious. Probably V-Tamer and Xros Wars itself are the Digimon winners in this 'legal issues' regard.

Shining Celebi

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Except the author did say it was Zeromaru. I don't understand all the posts after Jay's. It couldn't be any clearer.

I also don't know what this is about the copyright. If there was any kind of issue, he would not have said what he said.