Lets get real about survive ! Be honest !

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm sitting here watching videos about survive and I'm keen as fuck on this ( Im not gonna hold anything back! If you don't like swearing stop reading! ) im watching now and as I watch and learn more about the game im realising it's everything I wanted in a digimon game. I honestly don't give a flying FUCK! that it's not a collect them all like cyber sleuth. I believe we don't need that we need something different. This is the game that will change digimon forever i can guarantee that. For all the people that are on the fence about digimon and the games this will hook them into our world! They will love digimon like everyone on this forum, LIKE US! So i wanna hear from all the fans of digimon do you agree? What do you wanna see in survive? No matter what, this is the game we have been wanting. So everyone be honest myself and everyone wanna know what you think! Everyone speak your mind! :)

MidnightWolfie

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sadly I am not hyped at all. I am looking forward to it's story, but gameplay wise I am not a big fan.
Id prefer if we only got one Digimon, with a battle system such as the one in Digimon World and Digimon World Next Order. I feel like that's what Digimon is about - having one real companion that you bond with and go through obstacles with.

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm certainly looking froward to it. I've never played a Visual Novel Game or a Stratagy RPG before so it will be cool to play a combination. They're leaning into the Adventure-style diverse group of kids surviving, and they're picking more lateral under-used Digimon partners.

And the mysterious tone expressed through the art style and music so far is very enchanting. I like the cyber-punk and stylized character design of Cyber Sleuth, but there's something about Survive's eerie ambiance and Ukumo Uiti's character designs that feels so Digimon to me.

I never like to get my hopes up too high to the point where they can never be met.
But yeah, it's certainly looking cool so far.

Last edited:

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sadly I am not hyped at all. I am looking forward to it's story, but gameplay wise I am not a big fan.
Id prefer if we only got one Digimon, with a battle system such as the one in Digimon World and Digimon World Next Order. I feel like that's what Digimon is about - having one real companion that you bond with and go through obstacles with.
I know what you mean but I think it's a refreshing style. I like that I have to think about what im doing next instead of blindly attacking and winning easily like in the CS games.
I'm certainly looking froward to it. I've never played a Visual Novel Game or a Stratagy RPG before so it will be cool to play a combination. They're leaning into the Adventure-style diverse group of kids surviving, and they're picking more lateral under-used Digimon partners.

And the mysterious tone expressed through the art style and music so far is very enchanting. I like the cyber-punk and stylized character design of Cyber Sleuth, but there's something about Survive's eerie ambiance and Ukumo Uiti's character designs that feels so Digimon to me.

I never like to get my hopes up too high to the point where they can never be met.
But yeah, it's certainly looking cool so far.
Yeah it does have an eerie feeling to it. I think it because people can die and especially the music like you said. I think it's gonna be one to remember. Whats pissing me off is how long we have had to wait already and they smashed out heaps of news over a couple of weeks and now there's nothing left for them to give us. The waiting is really annoying and they haven't given us a on indication as to when it will come out. We have been waiting ages for a release date and I think we are gonna have to wait a lot more. I'm actually starting to expect a 2021 release date instead of 2020.

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The waiting is really annoying and they haven't given us a on indication as to when it will come out.
Heh. I guess that's the downside of being so jazzed for something. It always makes the wait feel longer.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The waiting is really annoying and they haven't given us a on indication as to when it will come out.
Heh. I guess that's the downside of being so jazzed for something. It always makes the wait feel longer.
Yeah bro that's a good point. It's like if I didn't care then it would be out by now. Maybe i should stop caring lol. The way it's going I actually might really stop caring. You can really only wait for something for so long with pure excitement without losing that excitement.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm a bit confused, you don't like the entire concept of Survive and just want a World game?

MidnightWolfie

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm a bit confused, you don't like the entire concept of Survive and just want a World game?
I wouldn't say I don't like the entire concept of it - i like the story behind it and how much the Digimon interacts with the player. It's just the combat that I'd turn into a World - like combat.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wouldn't say I don't like the entire concept of it - i like the story behind it and how much the Digimon interacts with the player. It's just the combat that I'd turn into a World - like combat.
Yeah man I get what your saying but it's different. It's a different genre that's why it digimon survive and not digimon world survive. It's basically like digimon story is turn based and digimon world is real time.

MidnightWolfie

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah man I get what your saying but it's different. It's a different genre that's why it digimon survive and not digimon world survive. It's basically like digimon story is turn based and digimon world is real time.
I'll still give it a try! and I mean a proper try. But I, personally, am just not expecting too much. I hope I'll get surprised and will end up adoring the combat system!

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I seriously want to see how all digimon animate in this Survive. That's all. I mean, it's freaking Falcomon and Labramon got the top seats! Of course Kunemon, too.

Oh yes also I'm praying for new digimon(s) and Rukamon needs hard comeback :/

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have been reading everywhere that they are doing a complete overhaul to Survive and it has something to do with the new reboot. I read this when I was reading about the TBD,2020 release date typo. So I want People to give me their opinion on what exactly does everyone think they will change. I've loved everything I have seen from survive and I really hope they don't ruin it by changing the awesome features it already has been shown to have.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They will change the characters to the ones from the Adventure: and they now will be at our mercy. Takeru crying too much? Joe whining too much? Yamato dicking around too much? We now will be able to silence them by allowing them to die ;).

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well I'm going to be as real and honest about Survive as I could possibly be and my overall takeaway from all the marketing so far is that the more I actually think about ti, the more reasons I find to be worried about the game, rather than hyped.

I have waited very long for a decent Digimon SRPG. I think Digimon features so many unique monsters with incredibly diverse abilities that just cry out to be used in creative tactical ways and in your old restrictive JRPG turn based combat (not to mention the terrible semi-passive AI cockfights of Digimon World) that potential is completely crippled, even if the newer games try to distract from the clunkiness with fancy effects.

So the changing the gameplay of the battles into the style of an tactical RPG is something that has the potential to be brilliant and get more out of the concept of Digimon in general if they execute it with enough ambition... but the problem is I don't see that ambition in what we've been shown so far.
In the earlier streams that wasn't much of an issue, it's a new approach early in development after all. The whole thing with grid movement, energy management, evolution and so on, it all looked fine, and I really like the visual style, but it didn't give me vibe of something that could fill an entire game, especially with how slow it was. More like a good base system, something that could develop into an exciting Digimon strategy game with some depth if more is added to that base.
I was expecting to see more in-depth additions, and more layers of the system to be revealed over the course of development; More layers, more strategies, more abilities, some environment interactions perhaps but even when we got more updates for the game, there has been very little new info on the tactical RPG gameplay, mostly just a bunch of screenshots of new levels but no news if there's anything new to do in them.
With every new update consisting mostly of "look at this fairly generic anime character", it's becoming distressingly likely hat the half baked combat we saw on the various streams actually is all there is. And honestly I don't think that's going to cut it on that front.

Then there's the VN part which they focus more of their marketing on and it just kind of irks me that they keep trying to pass off "three routes" as something amazing or at least interesting. In fact it isn't. For most VNs it is the bare minimum, not something that fans of the genre would get super excited about (and sure, there are VNs with less branches but they don't even attempt to market themselves as being "interactive"). So I really hope that the there are many more smaller differences in those main routes that will actually impact character interactions and the like, and not just the major turning points like getting a different evolution that puts you on an entirely different route (does that even apply to anyone besides the main character?). Plenty of games try to pass themselves of as very choice-based when the consequences are actually minimal for 90% of choices.
So again it seems to be a situation where they picked an interesting genre but I don't really see that commitment to take it to its full potential.

In theory I try to believe in the good in humanity which includes believing that Bandai Namco chose this game, and this combination of genres because they see the great potential Digimon has as a narrative and Digimon battles have in terms of tactics and that they we're looking at them taking a risk to get the most out of those genres. But at the same time, those two genres also just happen to be very cheap to produce in terms of models and assets and that the whole venture could be more about the finding the minimal viable product in terms of full priced Digimon games (oh and rubbish mystical approach of Digimon just being generic fantasy spirit monsters should better not infect any other part of the franchise).

Oh, and I almost forgot: The Survival, the DEATH, the shock value! ... honestly I'm rather unconvinced that the attempt at passing the whole thing of as mature will lead to anything memorable. The younger demographics are just too profitable to be left out entirely, so I expect anything "shocking" to be kept within sanitized limits and in general it's going to be baby's first survival adventure filtered through the anime lens.
And the thing is... Survival is a hard genre to get right because the threat needs to feel real and the characters need to be grounded enough that their struggles feel believable and relatable. Because it is something that speaks to primal fears and instincts, it cannot feel constructed, it cannot retreat into the realm of stylized abstraction because it is one of the genres that suffers a lot from a lack of immersion.
Many survival anime and manga fail at this because the amount of routine weeb tropes tend to railroad the story along specific paths, into predictable situations where the drama is hammed up and flashy and the death flags stereotypical and obvious and the vital factor of constant tension and unpredictability is lost.
In a generic action adventure fantasy story you can kind of forgive some leaps of logic, the one or other deus ex machina because the focus is on the spectacle; It's not too big of a deal if something that should hurt/kill a character just doesn't because, well, the show must go on. But if the focus is on the actual survival itself, the thing that audience is here for, these little manipulations are elevated to outright cheating.
There is no feeling of genuine dread when the consequences seem to be arbitrarily manipulated.
That's a lot pitfalls and we're talking about the writing in a Digimon Games here which is usually nothing to write home about until in the most praised games of the franchise it finally achieved the distinction of being "generally acceptable".
Can we honestly expect a Digimon game to craft a story that doesn't rely on too cheap of plot devices, that can do without magical cop-outs and generally can keep up a constant tone of believable tension?
Will they actually be able to master such a tricky genre? And even if all that works out are we going to get a decent translation? I'll give it a chance but I'm doubtful.

What else do we have? A cast whose main selling point is that they sorta kinda resemble Adventure. That could work out but "sorta kinda resembling Adventure" is also was Frontier tried to do character-wise which shows that this strategy is not as much of a guaranteed (financial) success as people make it out to be.
But at at least the cast is a step up from Cyber Sleuth's waifu gallery aimed at horny 14 year olds.

Overall, sure it could be great.
But in the worst case scenario the SRPG part will be too shallow for SRPG fans, the VN part too linear and predictable for VN fans while casual players will be thrown off by the amount of text, the slow pace of the combat and the limited Digimon roster.
...But only time will tell.

Last edited:

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I think Theigno summed up a lot of the doubt I have towards Survive very well. I personally would probably be a lot more lenient than most as this is Digimon's first attempt at what they hope to be their third game series that strays a lot from their World titles and isn't their generic and safe Story JRPGs either. There are a lot of things I really like in Survive's concepts and I would want to see this turn into a series if the first is at least decent since they can naturally smooth out the kinks over time, but they're under a lot of pressure to make a game people will even care about since they need to impress the people in the specific niches they're trying to target, otherwise they won't have any sequels to improve upon anything this game has to offer. It's made a lot worse by how they've kept fans waiting for two years with barely any details on development to the point Habu had to publicly announce the game is not cancelled, and we just had to get another confirmation that it's still planned to come out this year after people once again started wondering if Survive is going to be cancelled. There's a lot of different types of fans the developers have to please and the way they go about it makes me wonder if they even know who they're marketing towards

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well I'm going to be as real and honest about Survive as I could possibly be and my overall takeaway from all the marketing so far is that the more I actually think about ti, the more reasons I find to be worried about the game, rather than hyped.

I have waited very long for a decent Digimon SRPG. I think Digimon features so many unique monsters with incredibly diverse abilities that just cry out to be used in creative tactical ways and in your old restrictive JRPG turn based combat (not to mention the terrible semi-passive AI cockfights of Digimon World) that potential is completely crippled, even if the newer games try to distract from the clunkiness with fancy effects.

So the changing the gameplay of the battles into the style of an tactical RPG is something that has the potential to be brilliant and get more out of the concept of Digimon in general if they execute it with enough ambition... but the problem is I don't see that ambition in what we've been shown so far.
In the earlier streams that wasn't much of an issue, it's a new approach early in development after all. The whole thing with grid movement, energy management, evolution and so on, it all looked fine, and I really like the visual style, but it didn't give me vibe of something that could fill an entire game, especially with how slow it was. More like a good base system, something that could develop into an exciting Digimon strategy game with some depth if more is added to that base.
I was expecting to see more in-depth additions, and more layers of the system to be revealed over the course of development; More layers, more strategies, more abilities, some environment interactions perhaps but even when we got more updates for the game, there has been very little new info on the tactical RPG gameplay, mostly just a bunch of screenshots of new levels but no news if there's anything new to do in them.
With every new update consisting mostly of "look at this fairly generic anime character", it's becoming distressingly likely hat the half baked combat we saw on the various streams actually is all there is. And honestly I don't think that's going to cut it on that front.

Then there's the VN part which they focus more of their marketing on and it just kind of irks me that they keep trying to pass off "three routes" as something amazing or at least interesting. In fact it isn't. For most VNs it is the bare minimum, not something that fans of the genre would get super excited about (and sure, there are VNs with less branches but they don't even attempt to market themselves as being "interactive"). So I really hope that the there are many more smaller differences in those main routes that will actually impact character interactions and the like, and not just the major turning points like getting a different evolution that puts you on an entirely different route (does that even apply to anyone besides the main character?). Plenty of games try to pass themselves of as very choice-based when the consequences are actually minimal for 90% of choices.
So again it seems to be a situation where they picked an interesting genre but I don't really see that commitment to take it to its full potential.

In theory I try to believe in the good in humanity which includes believing that Bandai Namco chose this game, and this combination of genres because they see the great potential Digimon has as a narrative and Digimon battles have in terms of tactics and that they we're looking at them taking a risk to get the most out of those genres. But at the same time, those two genres also just happen to be very cheap to produce in terms of models and assets and that the whole venture could be more about the finding the minimal viable product in terms of full priced Digimon games (oh and rubbish mystical approach of Digimon just being generic fantasy spirit monsters should better not infect any other part of the franchise).

Oh, and I almost forgot: The Survival, the DEATH, the shock value! ... honestly I'm rather unconvinced that the attempt at passing the whole thing of as mature will lead to anything memorable. The younger demographics are just too profitable to be left out entirely, so I expect anything "shocking" to be kept within sanitized limits and in general it's going to be baby's first survival adventure filtered through the anime lens.
And the thing is... Survival is a hard genre to get right because the threat needs to feel real and the characters need to be grounded enough that their struggles feel believable and relatable. Because it is something that speaks to primal fears and instincts, it cannot feel constructed, it cannot retreat into the realm of stylized abstraction because it is one of the genres that suffers a lot from a lack of immersion.
Many survival anime and manga fail at this because the amount of routine weeb tropes tend to railroad the story along specific paths, into predictable situations where the drama is hammed up and flashy and the death flags stereotypical and obvious and the vital factor of constant tension and unpredictability is lost.
In a generic action adventure fantasy story you can kind of forgive some leaps of logic, the one or other deus ex machina because the focus is on the spectacle; It's not too big of a deal if something that should hurt/kill a character just doesn't because, well, the show must go on. But if the focus is on the actual survival itself, the thing that audience is here for, these little manipulations are elevated to outright cheating.
There is no feeling of genuine dread when the consequences seem to be arbitrarily manipulated.
That's a lot pitfalls and we're talking about the writing in a Digimon Games here which is usually nothing to write home about until in the most praised games of the franchise it finally achieved the distinction of being "generally acceptable".
Can we honestly expect a Digimon game to craft a story that doesn't rely on too cheap of plot devices, that can do without magical cop-outs and generally can keep up a constant tone of believable tension?
Will they actually be able to master such a tricky genre? And even if all that works out are we going to get a decent translation? I'll give it a chance but I'm doubtful.

What else do we have? A cast whose main selling point is that they sorta kinda resemble Adventure. That could work out but "sorta kinda resembling Adventure" is also was Frontier tried to do character-wise which shows that this strategy is not as much of a guaranteed (financial) success as people make it out to be.
But at at least the cast is a step up from Cyber Sleuth's waifu gallery aimed at horny 14 year olds.

Overall, sure it could be great.
But in the worst case scenario the SRPG part will be too shallow for SRPG fans, the VN part too linear and predictable for VN fans while casual players will be thrown off by the amount of text, the slow pace of the combat and the limited Digimon roster.
...But only time will tell.
You make some great points but having said that I like to keep the faith and I do expect something amazing. I don't really see any red flags when it does come to Survive. Yes some people may think that certain aspects of the game won't live up to expectations but from what I've seen i really do thing all the features are amazing and I'm as hyped as ever.

Hachiko96

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm cautiously optimistic it looks good and I'm a fan of both genres but getting hyped is never healthy.

twincast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Except not really? Most video games have a "gotta catch 'em all" attitude with varying degrees of a special story role for your starter digimon. V-Tamer 01 featured a single human protagonist with a single partner digimon as you describe there. And Digimon Adventure had a group of kids with one partner digimon each. Having a preference for any one of them is fine, but the three approaches debuted very close to each other, so they all are "what Digimon is about". One of the things that turned me off about both Xros Wars and Appli Monsters so much that I didn't even bother sticking around for more than one and a half episodes to see whether the writing would actually turn good in reasonable time (if at all) was that they went the single protagonist with super-duper-special-unique partner route. (That the protagonists were annoying, the premieres boring, and the partners ugly certainly didn't help, though.) And I have gotten my share of enjoyment out of collecting digimon in the Digimon Story games (and do also like the world established in the Cyber Sleuth dilogy). But I am beyond elated to finally get a game (Other than the PSP adaptation, I suppose; haven't played it.) which does the Adventure/Tamers/Savers thing, with bonus points for going the isekai route. (I've always loved me a good isekai - problem is, they are so popular these days that most of them are stupid crap, yet apparently still sell like crazy.)

I love the whole concept (minus the treating of digimon as folklore creatures instead of as digital monsters, but, eh, certainly not a deal breaker), but I can't help but worry about the execution. Digimon has always gone dark, and survival horror visual novels are a pretty popular niche in Japan (and to a degree outside of it as well), but Digimon going as dark as it would need to go to actually pull this off? I just can't see a corporation allowing this for an IP primarily aimed at children and young adolescents. I mean, I certainly never asked for it and honestly don't see a need for it. I don't mind it, either, though, but you can't commit to character deaths caused by player choice "just a little bit" - you don't need to go full-on dismemberment, but you need to show the deaths and how they traumatize the other characters. That said, I'd prefer them to be handled/triggered like in Fire Emblem games, i.e. via combat, not (only) VN-style, but I'm fine with it. Three routes should mean nine endings, which would give each character enough opportunities for one to three potential deaths throughout the whole narrative. Well, technically there could be less, of course, but not doing at least the traditional trio of bad/average/good endings for each route would have me seriously question why they'd even bother making a visual novel experience at all, let alone one with a fairly large cast marketed on (implied to be high) chance of character deaths.

As for the other half of the equation, I do like that they've mostly picked digimon that haven't been in the spotlight much if at all, and they are all from the franchise's first decade, so that's cool, but I'd prefer it if they felt less random. Partially I mean by this that having Agumon sans Gabumon (or as a decidedly second choice Gaomon), Lopmon sans Terriermon, and Falcomon sans Kudamon (and ideally Liollmon and Commandramon) just feels wrong; can't help it. But more substantially this is about Agumon, Lopmon, Labramon, Dracmon, and Falcomon all having well-established "proper" evolution lines designed for them (as is the norm post-Adventure), and Floramon having a solid "Palmon rival" route going from Vegimon to Blossomon and finally Lotusmon (which I naturally hope is followed in this game, maybe switch in Kiwimon if Vegimon is deemed "too disgusting"), whereas Kunemon and Shakomon arrive at a solid stop at their Adult levels with to this day no even remotely fitting evolution whatsoever for Flymon and Shellmon, and while I would love to see this situation rectified, it doesn't really feel like Digimon Survive will give us any new digimon. And gameplay-wise the grid maps should be an upgrade over the simple battle screens of most previous Digimon games if they draw on lessons to be learned from literal decades of popular (and unpopular) SRPGs, but new teams/series are always a gamble, so I worry.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I dunno, low-key I actually like the sound of a game that's not afraid to deal with the concept of human deaths, having the horrors and consequences of it potentially weighing on your character. IMO it's about time Digimon expanded its horizons to deal with subject matter that's not always aimed at a younger audience. Which is why I like that they're not afraid to try something new. The franchise needs it to keep growing.

I don't care if they need to slap an advisory label on it for "mature themes", I hope they go all-in and commit 100% to the execution of a survival horror game and show other characters dying, in a terrifying manner if need be. I love the idea of Digimon being targeted towards an older audience and I hope this game succeeds because of that shift.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I dunno, low-key I actually like the sound of a game that's not afraid to deal with the concept of human deaths, having the horrors and consequences of it potentially weighing on your character. IMO it's about time Digimon expanded its horizons to deal with subject matter that's not always aimed at a younger audience. Which is why I like that they're not afraid to try something new. The franchise needs it to keep growing.

I don't care if they need to slap an advisory label on it for "mature themes", I hope they go all-in and commit 100% to the execution of a survival horror game and show other characters dying, in a terrifying manner if need be. I love the idea of Digimon being targeted towards an older audience and I hope this game succeeds because of that shift.
Yeah bro when it comes to choices I'm gonna be ruthless. But obviously I will be doing a lot of playthroughs but my first playthrough I won't really care who dies lol as long as my digimon is powerful. I also aswell wanna see gruesome deaths in survive I wanna feel freaked and I wanna say to myself I can't believe how gruesome this is.