Legendary Pictures aquired the rights to the live action Pokemon movie

C-MC

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Update: A live action Pokemon movie has been officially greenlit and that Legendary Pictures aquired the rights to it and apparently it's gonna be a Detective Pikachu flick
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36853970

Here's my little rant about it: WHY??! :(
Max Landis later stated the pitch he did for the Pokemon movie was based on Red (the character from the original games) and this is what he said: The film would have focused on a kid named Red, whose mother was a former master Pokemon trainer – but before the movie starts, she had a falling out with her team that led to Red feeling resentful toward the pocket monsters. “It’s an extremely emotional, really cool movie that I’m sad won’t exist, but I’m very curious to see if Pikachu solves that case.” It's a real bummer but at least we're getting a live action movie, we will see how this plays out... Still a bit disappointed though

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's... an interesting direction, to say the least.

I think the problem with a live action Pokemon movie is, how well would the games translate to a live action film? How do you market something like that to the general audience? Given how the Super Mario Bros. movie went, I can see why Nintendo would be reluctant to put out a movie based on the core franchise. They're taking a fairly safe route by making a movie starring Pikachu, one that will likely be aimed at kids and will probably do well regardless of the actual quality of the film because Pokemon.

C-MC

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's... an interesting direction, to say the least.

I think the problem with a live action Pokemon movie is, how well would the games translate to a live action film? How do you market something like that to the general audience? Given how the Super Mario Bros. movie went, I can see why Nintendo would be reluctant to put out a movie based on the core franchise. They're taking a fairly safe route by making a movie starring Pikachu, one that will likely be aimed at kids and will probably do well regardless of the actual quality of the film because Pokemon.
I have nothing really against it but still why pick an adaptation of a game that wasn't released in the states instead of basing it on the manga/anime

CoDL

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There are plans to release the Detective Pikachu game in the US, but we just haven't heard about it. From what I've heard it was pretty similar to that in Japan. The game was announced, there was nothing about it for a couple years, then BAM Detective Pikachu.

As for why the games or manga weren't chosen, I believe Pokémon Origins can explain that. Origins (for the most part) was based on the games so we already have a game adaptation special. However one of the biggest complaints against Origins was (understandably) that they left out several major events of the storyline in order to fit into the time they were given. Fitting that entire story, even if they chose to adapt the manga, just couldn't be done right in only one movie. It would either be too much crammed in or like Origins they would have to skip stuff. Picking Detective Pikachu seems like a rather good choice (even though part of me doesn't want it to happen) because it is such a short game.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This sure is an odd choice but might be the best one. It's small and not too heavy on plot right?

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Beat this gym then this gym then this gym also catch all the Pokemon doesn't lend itself well to a film narrative....

Detective Pikachu could work if they did something like Roger Rabbit in a 1940s noir with live actors and animated pokemkn

C-MC

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Beat this gym then this gym then this gym also catch all the Pokemon doesn't lend itself well to a film narrative....

Detective Pikachu could work if they did something like Roger Rabbit in a 1940s noir with live actors and animated pokemkn
nah I don't think a Detective Pikachu movie will work unfortunately

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It probably won't actually be a good movie. But again, this is likely aimed more at the kids than at us. We live in a world where parents are somehow willing to sit through rubbish like Happy Feet and Alvin & the Chipmunks with their kids for up to two hours. This will do just fine with that crowd.

ChaoCobo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I kinda liked the original pitch in the OP. That would've been neato. Or maybe something about Red's missing father. Something with actual Substance.

I don't want this Detective Pikapi movie. Just make it an animated short at the beginning of the next REAL movie for all I care. That's what I expect it to flow like anyway is a Pikachu's Vacation short.

C-MC

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I kinda liked the original pitch in the OP. That would've been neato. Or maybe something about Red's missing father. Something with actual Substance.

I don't want this Detective Pikapi movie. Just make it an animated short at the beginning of the next REAL movie for all I care. That's what I expect it to flow like anyway is a Pikachu's Vacation short.
i know right