MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bit longer this time with 24 episodes.

Full Metal Panic!

Extremely mild ecchi warning (super mild in general I'd say.)

Subbed and dubbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/full-metal-panic
Subbed and dubbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/full-metal-panic/videos
Subbed (with a handful of dub episodes) on Youtube for free- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELCnc3okkYrN0

A bit more serious this time (but not ultra serious.) I'm guessing this one will be most peoples speed as it's a good mix of serious and comedy, action and character stuff, and so forth.

We're doing just season 1 which is 24 episodes (season 2 goes full comedy for a short break, and season 3 goes back to a mix for those who plan to continue on after.)

FMP has a good mix of action and comedy, an art style and designs that are pleasant to the eye, and it's fun to watch. Not much more to ask out of a show.

I think in general this is the kind of thing Digimon fans tend to want out of Digimon in general (of course, no monster sidekicks here though.)

We have a few connections to Digimon this time... in the dub Vic Mignogna plays a decently sized roll. For the Japanese we get some interesting connections... We have Lalamon from Savers as... not a lead, but an important character (who shows up more in season 2 especially.) Neon's actor from Savers is the franchise lead. And 2 of the 3 actors who played Chocmon and his various forms from movie 3 also play notable roles.

Feel free to post as you want and to make any suggestions regarding how I made the thread. Improvements can always be made.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!

Full Metal Panic has a pretty good dub, so I'm gonna go ahead and embed the first dubbed episode right here.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Funny story slightly related to the show.

Years ago I had a lot of anime on my computer. I had to watch it so I watched one of the FMPs and thought it was ok. I thought I'd like it more then the other show. That show was Mai-Hime. That was a good show. Never finished the FMP and then I got a new computer and I think I lost the files.
That's my anecdote.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just finished watching tonight. Since I figured (correctly) that I'd again be the only one commenting again, I've waited until now to post so I can give my full reaction. No spoiler tags, since the week is over.

I was actually passingly familiar with Full Metal Panic! before it was a weekly assignment. My brother had watched through the second (light and comedic) season, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, and I've seen quite a few episodes of that. So it was interesting to see how the story started. As with other anime franchises the Tri leadup has introduced me to, I'll probably stick with it until I've seen all three seasons in full.

All in all I found the series very enjoyable. In places it was very reminiscent of Fumoffu, while the more plot-driven arcs stayed interesting and surprisingly tense in places. The many characters who play no part in Fumoffu were interesting. The series handled the serious elements well, such as in the "Wind That Blows at Home" arc (though I still don't know how Gauron pulled a Houdini and escaped the destruction of his AS). I was a little surprised at how the whole Whispered thing kind of drifted into the background, and the Lambda Driver as well, which played such a small part in the final battle. No real complaints, though.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a good show. Many of those elements come back after Fumoffu.

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I finished the first season of this a while back with a couple friends. Altogether it was rather enjoyable, oftentimes I found some of the exaggerated character personalities a bit bland and off-putting. The show tried marrying too many different genres in my opinion, making the relationship between Sousuke and Kaname contrived and predictable. As a result, I only enjoyed the arcs in an ebb-and-flow sort of fashion, and my reception was on average lukewarm until the ending, which I did consider pretty good.