Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
12 episodes this time...

Maken-ki!

Major ecchi warning this time.

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/maken-ki-battling-venus
Subbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/maken-ki/videos

This time I'm having some fun. People assumed in conversation in the chatroom and elsewhere that I was putting up Haganai up as a standard 'guy surrounded by boobs' fanservice show and many ended up liking it because it has a bit more to it than that.

So what if I put up roughly what was expected? A show based around fanservice with some random battling.

We'll just be doing the first season (episodes 1 thru 12.) I'll be finishing this along with everyone else as I've started it a few times but never finished it. I hear season 1 is actually rather mild compared to season 2. The art is rather nice to look at and it's a show utterly filled with cliches and tropes and tries to have fun with it... will we like it? I'm honestly not sure.

Any connection to Digimon... a few little bits, but nothing that seems very notable (I'm not checking every position when I check, just the primary cast and a few main production positions, so if I miss someone and you're aware, let us know.)

Feel free to post as you want and to make any suggestions regarding how I made the thread. Improvements can always be made.

We will be discussing in the chatroom the next few days something more serious to put up for week 8 since Maken-ki skews very very silly.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To

Nothing official to embed from Youtube... so sad.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay, this week I'm not surprised I'm the only one participating.

I've watched through the first six episodes and am not quite sure yet what to think about this series. I can't help but feel that it could have stood on its own (and, in my opinion, turned out better) without the over-the-top fanservice. There comes a point when it just becomes ridiculous and leaves a bad taste. That aside, the anime's world and its battle scenes are relatively interesting. It occurs to me that Takeru's name might have been chosen for its connection to the legend of Orochi.

I think that's it for now. Not sure if I'll bother to continue this show after the first season, in part because the fanservice apparently gets worse in season 2.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think that's it for now. Not sure if I'll bother to continue this show after the first season, in part because the fanservice apparently gets worse in season 2.
As I recall... they switched both the director AND the character designer out for guys better known for fanservice material in season 2.

The character designer and guy in charge of the animation for 2 is Akio Takami, whom I would say is partially (mostly?) the guy who inspired/started the more modern 'super heavy fanservice shows.' And ironically did character designs for Buso Renkin.