Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Time for another show!

Something short and breezy this time (13 episode OVA!)

the original Tenchi Muyo! OVAs

Mild content warning. You occasionally get a non detailed nude body.

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/tenchi-muyo
Subbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/tenchi-muyo-ova-series/videos/episodes

Tenchi is most definitely a classic. Great show, great characters, a relatively mild pace most of the time with the occasional action sequence. This seems to be what a lot of people are expecting from tri.

Tenchi is not only a classic, it's one of those shows that actually aired fully on American TV during the anime boom of the late 90s/early 00s. The Tenchi OVAs were the first time I got an anime DVD box in fact (a 3 disk set for the 13 episodes and a disk with extras) for... 120 maybe?

I think this is one that will bring back a lot of good memories for older anime fans, and those who haven't will get to see some of the earliest 'harem' content (although it's so mild by today's harem standards that newer fans I wouldn't be shocked if they find it almost quaint.)

Tenchi as a franchise has become rather long with various different timelines, and even spinoffs that take place in other dimensions but crossover with the main Tenchi stuff, but we will just be dealing with the 2 original OVAs which in the USA have always just been known as 'Tenchi Muyo' (and occasionally with an OVA appended to the end.)

We have a few fun Digimon connections this time...

Tenchi himself is voiced by Masami Kikuchi who will be familiar to Digimon fans from more than a few roles... he had almost a dozen different roles in Adventure and Zero-Two, but most people will recognize him as Jou and Demon. In Tamers he was Grani and Rob McCoy. In Frontier he was the narrator AND Neemon. In Savers he was Kurata and Belphemon. And in Xros he was Damemon. His roles outside Digimon are so numerous it would take pages to just to explain them all.

Ayeka is voiced by Yuko Mizutani. Most of us would recognize her as Sora among many other non Digimon roles.

And the primary villain in Tenchi is voiced by Norio Wakamoto, one of the best known 'villain' actors in anime. he didn't do much in Digimon, but his IceDevimon in Frontier was certainly memorable.

No real dub connection this time... some people think Bob Papenbrook and Jay Hopper are the same person but I'm not 100% sure... hard to tell with the early Tenchi dub, as they used alias', but there are some vocal differences... So no obvious connection this time (this time anyways... later bits of dubbed Tenchi have at least once interesting appearance.)

Feel free to post as you want and to make any suggestions regarding how I made the thread. Improvements can always be made.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin

The first episode is on Youtube dubbed so I can embed that, but if you don't like the dub, you might want to watch elsewhere.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A great show. A classic harem without a lot of creepy. I remember wanting to get home quick to catch this. Though having seen the family tree, that made me laugh. I also finished the Ai shorts they had recently.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Having finally started the series, I've watched up through episode 4. I may have thought Buso Renkin looked a little dated, but with this we're getting into a show that's almost as old as I am, and shows its age. Not that it looks bad, exactly, just different from what I'm used to.

The series is relatively engaging so far. There's a few questions I'm hoping will be answered, such as Ryoko's actual species (assuming she isn't just a human who acquired strange powers). She got mad at Sasami for calling her an old lady, but she has been around for at least the better part of a millennium. The inhabitants of Jurai seem to essentially be human in the biological sense. Assuming their lifespans are comparable, I wonder if it's quite hit the princesses yet just how long they've been in stasis. Not only would their brother be dead; pretty much everyone they knew would have vanished by now (Speaking of which, Ayeka's right - it does seem odd to marry one's brother. Not even European royals in their heyday played it that close to the hilt). But then I have a feeling that some of the confusion will be cleared up in the coming episodes as our villain makes his appearance and his plot is put in motion. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

By the way, one of my favorite things about the series is its funny ending song. Ryo-Ouki is actually pretty great in general.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So many fun things coming up in the next few episodes for you TMS.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You were right, Marc. They certainly cleared things up pretty well. Over the past few nights I've gotten through episode 13 (and its little addendum). I plan on watching the third OVA, and possibly other things in the Tenchi Muyo franchise, but since we're coming to the end of the week I'll probably hold off on those. Anyway, here are some episode-specific comments. I guess since it's Saturday there's probably no need for spoiler tags, but I'll use them anyway just in case. Has anyone else been watching this show? Maybe I'm one of the few people who hadn't already seen it.

You know, as someone said in the chat, sometimes Tenchi does sound an awful lot like Jou, though for the most part the animation and the slight vocal differences kept me from noticing. Since I had no idea who Ayeka was going into the series, it wasn't until after I had finished it and reread Marc's introduction that I realized that she actually does sound a lot like Sora at times. If it weren't for the honorifics I might have noticed the similarity between how the actress says "Tenchi" and "Taichi." I'm a little embarrassed I didn't figure it out myself, especially considering I incorrectly pegged Lucemon's VA in Xros Wars as Takeru's from 02.

Episodes 5-6
Here we meet our first villain, which was refreshing. I liked Kagato, though he didn't stick around too long. At least the episodes in the OVA are a good bit longer than those of the standard anime. Another good thing about these episodes was the answering of most of those questions I asked last time. Turns out Yosho actually is still alive, and hasn't lost his touch. His fight with Ryoko and Kagato was pretty great. By the way, something I forgot to mention the last time was that Sasami reminds me a little of Hikari, what with her younger (apparent) age and prophetic tendencies.

Episode 7
Manga as a handbook for love? Now that's a terrifying thought. This episode was definitely lighter than the previous couple. My favorite part was when they brought the spirit monster back with Mihoshi's ship, though Washu took care of it rather easily. Washu quickly became one of my favorite characters after her introduction. Nothing much gets past her.

Episode 8
When I saw the title for this episode coming up in the list, I was wondering what it might mean. Seemed a little early to be making babies. Not much to really say about the episode itself, though I was wondering at the end if Washu was going to stay in her new form.

Episode 9
I thought that this and the first episode (particularly the latter) did a good job of handling creepy subject matter. There was an interesting revelation here, even if it didn't really turn out to be as big a deal as it looked. I have to wonder, though, why no one noticed Sasami's reflection before. Hell, they were just bathing here recently.

Episode 10
Furries rejoice. I was at least glad Ryo-Ouki's interest in Tenchi turned out not to be romantic. Neither did the MASU's, as things turned out (is MASU an acronym for something?). I was certainly glad that Ryo-Ouki's transformation into a humanoid is only periodic. She's just so cute as a cabbit (I like to think she's the same species as Klonoa, only non-anthropomorphic).

Episodes 11-12
Here we had another two-episode villain arc. In some ways Dr. Clay seemed rather similar to Kagato, but had enough individualities to make him interesting in his own right. Seems like Zero fell for Tenchi awfully quick. It makes sense with her being a copy of Ryoko, but you'd think there would already have been similar problems on previous assignments. With Tenchi being as apparently irresistible as he is, I'm kind of expecting the Tokimi arc to end with her falling for him.

Episode 13
I was wondering how they were going to wrap up everything in this last episode, but it turned out there was a simple answer to that. If I'd known the series didn't quite end here I might have picked up my viewing pace to get it all in. Meeting the rest of the royal family was fun, though at times it was a little hard for me to follow all that they were discussing. Yosho's conversation with his mother was a little confusing, and I'm not sure what the exchange between her and Washu regarding the ships was really about. Speaking of Yosho, it seems he was able to maintain his biological age, though I think I like him better as an old guy.

I think that's about it. Anyone care to discuss? It seems like we haven't had much in the way of actual discussion recently in these threads.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The 3rd OVA... won't get into spoilers, but it sort of blows certain things up in regards to what we know and expectations. Much of the 3rd explains questions that perhaps you didn't even know you have, but in retrospect make you go 'hmmm'

Definately light on the discussion this time. Hopefully more people will pop in since it's at the end, or as you and hopefully others choose to watch more Tenchi stuff.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I already saw the whole series so I didn't have much to say. But the third OVA is very interesting. And this show is much deeper then you think. Trust me. It's very huge.