Leadup to Tri Week 42- Gundam Reconguista in G

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A natural half series break at 12 episodes this time.

Gundam Reconguista in G

As with most Gundam, mild violence and an occasional pervy moment.

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/gundam-reconguista-in-g

Tomino comes back to Gundam again.

It's interesting, you'd figure the old creator coming back would be the times Gundam is at it's most stereotypical Gundam, but when Tomino comes back sometimes feels like the times when the franchise most tries to do interesting things.

I haven't watched this one yet, but have been meaning to, and with it being put up for free seemed like as good a time as any. I'm told the Sunrise subs are decent, but could have used a good QC pass, so may seem a bit clunky.

I'm especially pleased at the return of a wide variety of colors to Gundam, and a bit of sense of fun while still being mature looking. A bit suprising it took Gundam's creator, a man who used to be known as "Kill 'Em All Tomino" for his habit of nearly killing all the main characters in his shows, to bring this back to the franchise in a show not aimed at a more kid friendly audience though. Even the new primary Gundam looks more friendly, with subtle curves all over it's design instead of the very standard sharp edges and corners all over.

Reconguista does takes place in the primary Gundam timeline (UC... although heck knows how many versions of UC you need to have to even make sense of it all at this point) but Reconguista stands alone. A handful of terms and references act as flavor for longtime Gundam fans, but the world of the Universal Century passed over a millenium ago, so take this as a great jumping on place if you don't really know what's going on with Gundam.

As for Digimon connections... checking all the primary production crew and cast I could find.... absolutely nothing as far as major important connections go, a few smaller characters have actors who have been in Digimon, but nothing really worth mentioning since there are no major connections.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion
Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess
Leadup To Tri Week 24- Afro Samurai
Leadup to Tri Week 25- Shin Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 26- Trigun
Leadup to Tri Week 27- Tenchi Universe
Leadup to Tri Week 28- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Leadup to Tri Week 29- Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
Leadup to Tri Week 30- Nyan Koi!
Leadup to Tri Week 31- The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 32- Ai Yori Aoshi
Leadup to Tri Week 33- Tokyo Ravens
Leadup to Tri Week 34- Reboot
Leadup to Tri Week 35- Star Driver
Leadup To Tri Week 36- FLCL
Leadup to Tri Week 37- My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
Leadup to Tri Week 38- Serial Experiments Lain
Leadup to Tri Week 39- Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki
Leadup to Tri Week 40- Food Wars!
Leadup to Tri Week 41- Himouto! Umaru-chan

Here's an embed of the one of the later PVs for the series.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished the series yesterday. I liked the show pretty well, though I'm not sure if I liked it well enough to get into the rest of the enormous Gundam franchise. I'd never watched any of Gundam before, about my only prior exposure to it being my brother owning a Gundam toy or two when we were kids. This show had an interesting old-fashioned feel to it, considering that it aired only last year, and it often reminded me of some of the older shows we've watched, including Go-Lion (though thankfully it was much better than that piece of crap). The atmosphere of that city where the first few episodes took place (can't remember its name) even reminded me of Slumberland from the Little Nemo movie. The characters were rather likable, and it was kind of hard to decide whether to be amused or chagrined at the Hypnos-grade ineptitude of "cool" characters like Aida and Mask. I really thought it kind of funny while watching the show how laid-back everyone seemed to be when it came to things like state secrets, diplomacy, and war. It's almost as if the battles took place in a vacuum besides the vacuum of space. The ending
seemed a little abrupt, and came across as everyone suddenly realizing they had nothing to fight about in the first place.