Leadup to Tri Week 40- Food Wars!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Through the end of the first main story arc, 14 episodes.

Food Wars!

There's some ecchi and fanservice, but not super major (although the show does seem to like having people make mock orgasm noises for really enjoying food.)

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/food-wars
Subbed on Crunchyroll for free- http://www.crunchyroll.com/food-wars-shokugeki-no-soma

I enjoy shows that take a base concept, and go forward with it in an overly serious manner but also inject lots of comedy (stuff like D-Frag and Ben-To.) While watching new shows leading up to me moving and to relax post move inbetween unpacking I decided to start watching a show I had heard about a few times and found I quite liked it.

Food Wars takes food a bit overly seriously like Ben-To, but this time it's cooking it. Framing it with the trope of sending the main character to a cooking school to end all cooking schools, the show pushes it's concept by never questioning it's own concept and throwing on heaps of comedy. It also follows one of my base rules for a show: If the characters are interesting you'll sit there and want to watch more.

This is (I believe) the first show I've done that is fully still running. So after episode 14 you'll notice there are a few more (23 at the time of posting.) I believe the show isn't scheduled to end at 26 and is planned to be ongoing, so if you enjoy it, you'll get a new episode every week after that.

Edit- I've since found out I'm wrong about it being ongoing and it's scheduled to end in a few days with episode 24. No specific news on a season 2 yet, but with the show doing well and the manga quite a bit further ahead, it seems likely a new season will be made.

As for Digimon connections, there are a handful of interesting connections. One of the ED directors did key art for Digimon movies 1, 2, and 4. The lead in Food Wars! is voiced by the same actor who is the male lead in Cyber Sleuth. The main rival character is voiced by Natsuki Hanae, the new Taichi for tri. The voice of Chocomon's baby form even shows up in a fun role. And we also get to hear Tentomon (and Dorulumon, among many others) as one of the main characters dorm mates who has a habit of being accidentally creepy and strange (and often half naked.)

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion
Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess
Leadup To Tri Week 24- Afro Samurai
Leadup to Tri Week 25- Shin Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 26- Trigun
Leadup to Tri Week 27- Tenchi Universe
Leadup to Tri Week 28- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Leadup to Tri Week 29- Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
Leadup to Tri Week 30- Nyan Koi!
Leadup to Tri Week 31- The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 32- Ai Yori Aoshi
Leadup to Tri Week 33- Tokyo Ravens
Leadup to Tri Week 34- Reboot
Leadup to Tri Week 35- Star Driver
Leadup To Tri Week 36- FLCL
Leadup to Tri Week 37- My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
Leadup to Tri Week 38- Serial Experiments Lain
Leadup to Tri Week 39- Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki

Here's an embed of the first ED.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The ending to that definitely seems to suggest the crew believes they'll get a season 2.

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sounds interesting. If it's anything like Tsuritama, I'll probably stay up all night binge-watching it :)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm a little late posting about this show, but I did finish watching the entire season within a week's time. I thought it was good. The ecchi in the early episodes took me back to Haganai, though it wasn't as big a part of the show as I'd expected, and that wasn't a bad thing. The characters were likable (one especially finds oneself rooting for Megumi), and the humor was fun. At times the show's focus on food made me hungry, even though I have the palate of a five-year-old and probably wouldn't have liked most of the dishes. Hoping the show gets a second season; I was wondering if
the Autumn Selection would be finished up within the 24 episodes, but I guess it gives us something to look forward to. I hope we see fat Isami again.
On a final note, naturally the show doesn't always strive for realism, but I found it kind of funny in the final arc that
the poor judges of the curry contest weren't provided anything to drink.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No solid news on a season 2, but Jump Festa will have a special about the Aldini brothers.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
2 bits of news.

The Aldini brothers special will get a DVD release as part of a pre-order only special edition of volume 18 of the Food Wars manga (pre-orders for the special edition end at the end of February in Japan, the manga comes out at the beginning of May.)

The other, and larger, piece of information is that they've announced a season 2 of the proper show. No specific date has been given, but starting in April wouldn't be a surprise.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No exact date yet, but some Food Wars updates.

Season 2 will begin some time in July.

Based on the names in the PV, it appears all relevant staff members are returning.

And on July 4th... (ecchi warning)

Volume 19 of the manga will be bundled with a new anime episode.

It'll be 25 minutes long and have the characters go to a water park.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So with season 2 having begun...

I quite liked the first episode.

I haven't read the manga in awhile, but I want to say that episode blew through quite a few chapters.

I believe they confirmed season 2 will only run for 13 episodes, so perhaps the goal is to go through the entire final part of the tournament in those episodes.

I've been reading the English full volume releases as they come out, and the tournament is maybe 3 or 4 volumes thus far, and isn't finished, so I'm quite curious to see the overall compression ratio of elements.

Soma's quick flashback was a nice little story they had done... bit disappointed we didn't get to see that story done fully.

Although it's always nice when adaptions of shonen manga decide to light a bit of fire under their asses and get along with it. They have a long history of being slow paced, so I'm not really complaining they are adapting this one in a different way.

Anyone else catching it?