Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Time for another show!

Decided to go with a 26 episode long show, but will only schedule this one for a week (but take as long as you need.) This one I picked for a few specific reasons that will become obvious in the post...

Buso Renkin

Subbed and Dubbed on Hulu for Free- http://www.hulu.com/buso-renkin

I picked Buso Renkin for no reason other than I like it. Which is kind of odd. It's entertaining enough, but it isn't even particularly very good. Something about the characters just feels endearing and made me want to keep watching. Some of the villains are quite a bit amusing though.

I actually like this show but it's hard to put into words. When I bought it I thought I was getting a second rate Fullmetal Alchemist. It instead comes off sort of as a second rate Bleach, but like I said... something about the characters makes it rise above.

Does it have connections to Digimon? Boy does it! The art director did the same for Adventure, Frontier, Xros Wars, X-Evolution and the Savers movie. The series composer did scriptwriting for Adventure, Frontier, and Savers. Both also worked on quite a few other shows people would be familiar with.

And if you keep an ear out you will hear a few familiar voices, in both Japanese and English.

Feel free to post as you want and to make any suggestions regarding how I made the thread. Improvements can always be made.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD

No embedded episode this time... Enjoy the show!

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Having skipped DxD and the movie, tonight I watched the first two episodes of this show. I'm reserving judgment for now. It hasn't hooked me immediately, but probably like the other two series it will grow on me.

Trilby1992

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was worried you might stop this because of the lack of comments in the last one.

Damn life got in the way so I may not be able to watch these until next month.

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I will start watching tomorrow, since today I'm a bit busy. Seems interesting, and a bit old school.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've seen this. And I like it. Not only is the opening (and 2nd ending) really good but I like the characters. There's a rival-like weirdo obsessed with Butterflies and the two main characters have a good romance near the end. It was really cute with how much of an ice queen she was.

Oh yeah, this is one of those shows I think could work on Toonami.

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I picked up the manga very early on in my manga hobby, about 4.5 yrs ago. Even then it didn't exactly hook me, and as I finished it only several months ago I don't believe I'd even start Buso Renkin if it weren't made by the guy who created Rurouni Kenshin ... which I haven't read, but have heard things. (Though I doubt I'd like it, I admit it has a preceding reputation.)

I won't even start the anime. I'll post finishing thoughts on Index, I did at least finish the first season and plan to do the second, and the spin-off, when I'm less busy.

Dat art director connection with Digimon doe.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished episode 6 tonight, so it looks like something of a first arc is over with.
I was kind of expecting Chono to stick around longer, though God knows I'd seen more than enough of him. I wonder if he'll return from death in some way (wouldn't be the first time a character in the show has managed to do so).
I'm interested to see where the story goes from here.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know right.
The butterfly sure is insane. You might like where the show goes next.

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just finished first episode. And here are my thoughts:

I like the characters' design, but the protagonist is way too detailed when compared to the rest of the cast. Also, in just one day he decided to join forces with the mysterious girl. Doesn't feel right if you use nowadays logic, but that's how heroes from the old school were. It seems I wasn't too mislead when I thought this was like 90s anime.

I only see one connection with FMA: alchemy. And it seems that Buso Renkin's alchemy has nothing to do with Elric brothers'. I've only seen one episode, thought.

The plot... Well, I could say that if you only want a sneakpeek, Episode 1 is perfect. It isn't too deep, it gives the basics and nothing else. It doesn't show a goal, nor a powerful enemy they have to beat. You can just watch this one and decide. It didn't pick my curiosity, to be honest, and that might not please everyone.

Extra point: females' uniform is horrible. How can the protagonist say that he joined that school because of it? They looked like damisels from XIX century.

Extra point 2: the relationship between the alchemy girl and the protagonist. That might have gotten my interest.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I've continued watching over the past two nights.

Episodes 7-8
And so we're introduced to our next wave of villains. I knew Papillon would be back, though I didn't really expect it to happen so soon (and I agree with Kazuki; he should have just stopped at the mask). The good guys get another offbeat personality with Captain Bravo. The scene with him and Papillon at the restaurant was rather amusing as a result. When I first saw Bravo he reminded me of this guy: http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/uploads/coc/baleful-reveler-tiv.jpg Having gotten to know him, however, the resemblance is much less striking. Dr. Butterfly, on the other hand, looks a bit like Mark Twain.

Episodes 9-11
Not much to say here. I am sort of glad that the thing with the twins, though weird, didn't get as weird as I thought it might.

Episodes 12-15
Here the villains took a page out of Vamdemon's playbook. An interesting arc all around (I liked seeing what Moon Face could do; he's always been entertaining), though two things bugged me. First, half of episode 14 consisted of recapping episode 13, and second, Kazuki really should have thought of launching himself directly to the roof before bothering to run down every hallway and climb up every staircase but one. Anyway, with episode 15 we wrap up our second major story arc and get hints of the next one's beginning.

Finally, I wonder if "Victor" is a reference to Frankenstein. Could be reading too much into it.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I watched up to episode 6 so far... overall I just don't feel like there's much to say about this anime. It's not really outstanding in any way, but not terrible either. I also don't know how much of this will "require" spoiler tags so I decided on a compromise: I'll spoiler out everything but I'll use a method other than the spoiler tags, so technically nothing is technically spoilered out :D[highlight]

I found the protagonist to be kind of a bland "simply does good thing because of his strong sense of JUSTICE"-character that I simply don't find to be that interesting (the same criticism I'd also level against the protagonist of index btw). Tokiko is a bit more interesting but judging from how she lives alone in a hotel and has a big grudge against homunculi I expect we get the standard "they killed my parents" back story from her. What might save this show for me are the relatively creative villains (although that rose homuncolus seemed kinda wasted after showing up looking like a big deal only to get pretty much one-shotted only a few minutes later)
I expected something... else from Chono's final form. and why did he carry his mask in his pants?
I did find the final fight against him a bit anticlimatic. He simply gets crucified and disintegrates when something gets removed from the spear... I didn't really get that part.
[/highlight]
let's see how the rest of this series goes...

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Two more nights of watching the show and I've gotten up through episode 22.

Episodes 16-19
Interesting fight scenes in these. I had a feeling that Kazuki and Toshiko would be going up against other alchemist warriors eventually, and the black kakugane was definitely the reason to do it. As for the fights, I really like the Silver Skin and Motor Gear now that we've seen what they can do. Ikusabe's is nice and all, but I personally wouldn't want a weapon I can only show off by getting torn to ribbons. The battle between Gota and Negoro was probably my favorite of the bunch. The Buso Renkin belonging to Chitose's squad seem kind of lame, but I guess almost anything looks lame against Victor.

Episodes 20-21
A great battle here, and interesting development for Sakamori. I also like the Great Warrior Chief's personality (and not just because he laughs happily while beating people up). By the way, of course they'll need all the help they can get against Victor, but I was a little surprised that Negoro was still alive. When Gota sliced him up off-screen I was thinking how convenient it was that thanks to Negoro's ability there was no body to dispose of.

Deep Blessing's aerial form reminds me of the submarine from Atragon.

Episode 22
An interesting development in this episode (and is that the Dark Network down there?). I would like to keep watching, but I have a few "duties" to perform. The plan is to finish the series tomorrow.