MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The entire series, all 7 episodes.

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki

It's Tenchi, same content warnings as always for this franchise.

Subbed and dubbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/tenchi-muyo-ryo-ohki
Subbed and dubbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/tenchi-muyo-ryo-ohki/videos

After Lain for the last week it was requested we got a little more breezy...

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki is actually just the third set of Tenchi Muyo! OVAs. They were given a unique title in the USA to differentiate it back when they released it because Geneon was still around in the USA with OVAs 1 and 2. The title Funimation gave is actually what all 3 OVAs were labeled as in Japan.

After many years and many spin-offs and continuity reboots it's back to the continuity where it began. This is Tenchi as seen in the original OVAs, which ended on a pseudo cliffhanger, and it's time for answers.

Some of which you will get, and you'll get answers to questions you didn't even know you had to be honest.

This wasn't actually the first reappearance of the OVAverse though, but it seemed the most solid next thing to go to, perhaps if there is enough interest, we can look at that next.

Will only go over the primary Digimon connection to Tenchi this time, which is of course Masami Kikuchi, Tenchi himself, who has had numerous roles in the Digimon franchise. Rather than listing all of his roles, let's just go with a single major role from each series: Joe in Adventure, Demon in 02, Grani in Tamers, Neemon in Frontier, Kurara in Savers, and Damemon in Xros Wars.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion
Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess
Leadup To Tri Week 24- Afro Samurai
Leadup to Tri Week 25- Shin Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 26- Trigun
Leadup to Tri Week 27- Tenchi Universe
Leadup to Tri Week 28- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Leadup to Tri Week 29- Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
Leadup to Tri Week 30- Nyan Koi!
Leadup to Tri Week 31- The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 32- Ai Yori Aoshi
Leadup to Tri Week 33- Tokyo Ravens
Leadup to Tri Week 34- Reboot
Leadup to Tri Week 35- Star Driver
Leadup To Tri Week 36- FLCL
Leadup to Tri Week 37- My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
Leadup to Tri Week 38- Serial Experiments Lain

Here's an embed of the first episode subbed.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the part where they introduced a new girl? The one from 2005? ...This show is so confusing with these sometimes.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished it last night. I enjoyed it, as I did the first two OVAs, and it was nice to get back to this universe. A few things in the last two episodes confused me, though I think I've got the gist of what was going on. The only thing I'm really wondering about is who
that green-haired woman that Tsunami (Sasami?) called "mother" in episode 6 was. That wasn't Noike, was it
? I think sometime I should go back and watch all three OVAs together, so as to get the bigger picture.

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A question: do I need to watch the other Tenchi Muyo OVAs before starting with this one? I just finished Tsuritama a couple of days ago, so I was really forward for something to watch.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would say yes, since it's really finishing up the story that the previous OVAs started.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished it last night. I enjoyed it, as I did the first two OVAs, and it was nice to get back to this universe. A few things in the last two episodes confused me, though I think I've got the gist of what was going on. The only thing I'm really wondering about is who
that green-haired woman that Tsunami (Sasami?) called "mother" in episode 6 was. That wasn't Noike, was it
? I think sometime I should go back and watch all three OVAs together, so as to get the bigger picture.
Don't they have two mothers? Or is that their grandmother? I think she was in the GXP series. I'd have to wiki it.

A question: do I need to watch the other Tenchi Muyo OVAs before starting with this one? I just finished Tsuritama a couple of days ago, so I was really forward for something to watch.
Yes. Very much. It's part 3.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They've announced a new proper Tenchi sequel. A 4th OVA series.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

More will be announced at an event on November 28th, but here is what we know so far...

Masami Kikuchi will be returning as Tenchi.

Ai Orikasa will be back as Ryoko.

Haruhi Nanao who took over as Ayeka's voice in the most recent Tenchi spinoff (Ai Tenchi Muyo) will continue as Ayeka for OVA4.

The 3 of them will be at the event in November.

Actresses who played 2 new characters (Rui and Yuki) in Ai Tenchi Muyo will also be at the event. It's interesting that they will be there, as their characters weren't the primary new characters introduced in Ai, so it'll be interesting if they are there just as part of the franchise, or if they will be playing characters in the new series.

Also, it may be worth noting that Noike does not appear in the single promo image they've put up for the new series (whether this is important or just them only putting on the most recognizable characters is currently unknown.)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the heads up! Once the leadup is over, I'm going to keep an eye on the series it's introduced me to, and watch any new seasons that come out (with a few exceptions).

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the heads up! Once the leadup is over, I'm going to keep an eye on the series it's introduced me to, and watch any new seasons that come out (with a few exceptions).
I expect I'll continue it at a slower pace.

Every few weeks, every month, whenever anything catches my fancy, not necessarily shows that are freely streaming, etc.

Just as a general recommendation thing.

In the case of the Tenchi OVAs this is just fun timing...

I mean, OVA1 started in 1992, OVA2 started in 1994, OVA3 started in 2003, so for OVA4 to be announced a few weeks after we did OVA3 is a bit fun.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is kind of funny.

They're really stretching this series out. After watching the fourth OVA we can look forward to the fifth one coming out in another 20-30 years.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As I said on Twitter, Holy Tree! I'm a bit excited by this. I saw the 3rd on Funimation's Youtube channel. I kind of don't want to wait. ...This as Tri of course.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bunch of new information put up for the upcoming OVA4.

http://tenchimuyo4th.com/

The first key visual is poster art done by Kajishima.

Masami Kikuchi is back as Tenchi.

Ai Orikasa is back as Ryoko

Haruhi Nanao, who took over the role of Ayeka for Ai Tenchi, will be Ayeka.

The first episode will be released this fall.

The first ED single will be out in late June.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yay! I'm happy about this. I saw on the forums of another site people are not quite happy but I keep forgetting not to read their forums. Anyway, I wonder what the plot will be. Animating any further manga/novel stuff? Something unconnected to that? I can't wait. One of the only harem anime I've seen that really gets it right.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It appears to be unconnected.

Most Tenchi novels are in a branch universe that don't include GXP/OVA3 (which is the 'Kajishima' universe/timeline.)

Most of the handful of other tales Kajishima has done either take place prior to OVA3, right around OVA3, with a handful of things 'off in the future', at least as I recall.

Assuming he sticks to the ending from one of his stories, we know what happens to everyone in the OVA timeline, it's purely a matter of seeing how they get there.

Heavy spoilers for how everything ends up
Tenchi is king of Jurai. We know he has at least one son, and still lives with all the girls.

Of course, Kajishima generally does seem like a person who changes his mind quite a bit... so who knows.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh yeah. I remember hearing about that.
Did he marry just about everyone? Then one kid meets that one goddess and they have fun? I'm also sure I have that remembered wrong.
But to be fair, some of the extra canon stuff are in doujin and they're actually quite lewd. ...And in Japanese.