MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The entire series, 13 episodes.

Serial Experiments Lain

As for content warnings, I can't say as I haven't seen this one. I'd assume heavy drama and depressing plot, violence and ecchi perhaps, who knows!

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/serial-experiments-lain
Subbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/serial-experiments-lain/videos
Subbed on Youtube for free- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL29CFFB0C178E4903

Honestly, I haven't seen Lain even though I know the plot. It's supposed to be very good, the mood and general plot just never struck me as something I wanted to see.

The series begins with a suicide and goes on to comment on people and technology (well... most of that is an understatement, but I don't want to spoil it.)

I picked this one despite me not having seen it because it's a bit different than much of what I've chosen thus far (we've done a few dark things like Hellsing Ultimate, but those are also purposely ludicrous and crazy, while this is a bit more personal, etc.)

One thing that will be of interest to Digimon fans is Chiaka Konaka wrote this prior to Tamers and you'll recognize a few familiar names, and even a few themes that while not 100% a match for what he did with Tamers, will at least seem recognizable. Those who liked his work in Tamers but aren't familiar with his other work will likely be interested to see what he wrote when others are in charge of the project and he doesn't have to give any thought to it being kid friendly.

As for Digimon connections minus Konaka... there is only really one major one on the Japanese side, and it's a bit interesting. The character Alice in Lain is voiced by Yoko Asada, who voiced Juri Katou in Tamers, which some might see as odd when you consider there is not only a girl named Alice in Tamers, but a girl with the name of Juri Katou in Lain...

On the dub side, we have one interesting connection: Lain herself is voiced by Bridget Hoffman... who voiced Jeri in the Tamers dub. Various other Digimon actors show up in various rolls, often using pseudonyms.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion
Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess
Leadup To Tri Week 24- Afro Samurai
Leadup to Tri Week 25- Shin Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 26- Trigun
Leadup to Tri Week 27- Tenchi Universe
Leadup to Tri Week 28- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Leadup to Tri Week 29- Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
Leadup to Tri Week 30- Nyan Koi!
Leadup to Tri Week 31- The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 32- Ai Yori Aoshi
Leadup to Tri Week 33- Tokyo Ravens
Leadup to Tri Week 34- Reboot
Leadup to Tri Week 35- Star Driver
Leadup To Tri Week 36- FLCL
Leadup to Tri Week 37- My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

Here's an embed of the first episode subbed.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished the series tonight. It was interesting, I guess. I couldn't have told you what was going on in any given scene, and I'm still not entirely sure that I have the plot figured out, but I have a better idea now than when I started. I feel like I'll have to come back and watch the series again later now that I know the premise. It'll probably make a lot more sense the second time around. Still, even though I didn't understand most of it, it was sort of mesmerizing to watch, so even the first time through I didn't mind the confusion much. Come to think of it, this is the first anime we've watched in the leadup that might be said to fit into the horror genre, at least in some places. Not sure I'd want to watch another right away, but it was a unique experience.

HarleyThomas

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bought the series some time ago when it was re-released. At thirty-six bones it seemed like a good enough deal for the blu-ray, DVD, and some booklet I never bothered to read. Then it went down a few dollars a couple months later, but w'ever.

I'm assuming OP finished it some time ago given how short it is and therefore their idea of what it'll contain having been dashed and having been replaced with crazy pseudo-philosophical mumbo jumbo about a girl who becomes God over the internet.

Good series, highly recommend it.