Leadup to Tri Week 37- My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Season 1 of a series, 13 episodes this week.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

General mild content warnings.

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/my-teen-romantic-comedy-snafu
Subbed on Crunchyroll for free- http://www.crunchyroll.com/my-teen-romantic-comedy-snafu

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU is interesting in that it seems to take the expectation you have of a whacky high school anime series and boils it down a bit. It's certainly whacky and funny, but it throws in a bit of drama, to create an interesting mood where it isn't necessarily realistic, but it doesn't shove everything to the surreal.

It tends to go with one of my primary rules for enjoying a series, which is if you like the characters, you'll like the show. Each of the main characters has something different about them, and they all sort of are pleased with this, or so they claim.

Ironically while I think this is a series most of you will rather enjoy, I think it also represents what some people early on were very worried tri might end up being (and some people are still concerned it'll be slice of life.)

It's been awhile since I've seen this one, and this gives me a good reason to re-watch it before watching season 2.

There aren't many Digimon connections, but some of the ones we do have are rather interesting. The person who did the storyboards and the key animation for the ED was a key animator animation director for 10 episodes of Xros Wars. Tagiru's actress shows up as a secondary character throughout the series. And one of the main characters best friends, who is a stock otaku character is voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama, who has shown up in multiple roles in the Digimon franchise: He was SlashAngemon in Xros Wars, Seraphimon in Frontier, and most notably BlackWargreymon in Zero-Two.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion
Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess
Leadup To Tri Week 24- Afro Samurai
Leadup to Tri Week 25- Shin Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 26- Trigun
Leadup to Tri Week 27- Tenchi Universe
Leadup to Tri Week 28- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Leadup to Tri Week 29- Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
Leadup to Tri Week 30- Nyan Koi!
Leadup to Tri Week 31- The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 32- Ai Yori Aoshi
Leadup to Tri Week 33- Tokyo Ravens
Leadup to Tri Week 34- Reboot
Leadup to Tri Week 35- Star Driver
Leadup To Tri Week 36- FLCL

Here's an embed of the OP.

Agu-Chan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just finished up re watching the first season(plus the OVA) yesterday. The main character basically sees alot of things negatively and deconstructs the personalities and relationships of people around his age. With the way he is it hard to envision that guy in a relationship. An interesting male lead different from the usual ones found in school comedy romance anime. The female leads and side characters also are quite interesting and hilarious at times. I re watched the series recently in preparation for watching season 2 next week.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Last night I finished the first season. Tonight I'll be starting on the second, but since I'd already hit the minimum for the week I thought I'd go ahead and post. I really like the show so far. The protagonist is a misanthropic asshole, which is sort of refreshing in a main character, and makes him easy for me to relate to. It definitely gives the show its own unique feel, though there are a lot of things in it that remind me of previous comedies we've watched. The setup is sort of a twisted version of Haganai. In each show we have a club initially organized around two friendless members, but whereas in Haganai the club's goal is ostensibly to make friends, Oregairu's club's founding members are determined not to make friends. The show reminds me a little of D-Frag and Nyan Koi as well. There's even, apart from some more typical stock characters, an effeminate boy the straight guys have a crush on a la Baka and Test.

Anyway, I really like the dialogue. Not sure if "clever" is the right word for it, but it certainly appeals to my sense of humor. The best line in the whole season was probably, "But I'm still keeping a list of people to kill." When the drama bits started in the last third of the season, it dragged a bit at first, but got better. Having Hikigaya
play the villain to bring people together
in the last few episodes was an interesting plot point. I, uh,
made a couple girls cry one time in high school, though I'm sorry to say that I don't recall having any nobler motive than my intolerance for stupidity.

Monox D. I-Fly

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In each show we have a club initially organized around two friendless members, but whereas in Haganai the club's goal is ostensibly to make friends, Oregairu's club's founding members are determined not to make friends.
This. The Service Club is an Anti-Hero club of Wild Cards.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In each show we have a club initially organized around two friendless members, but whereas in Haganai the club's goal is ostensibly to make friends, Oregairu's club's founding members are determined not to make friends.
I see it moreso than that, making it even more hilarious.

They didn't even really want a club. Yukino founded it to help people (likely because wandering around the school wouldn't fit around school rules and her personality accepted it) but she seemed to intend to do it alone and only ended up with other members when they were either foisted on her or it became obvious they weren't going to leave.

Hachiman being forced there is of course the intro to the series, and Yui shows up for her own reasons which aren't even really about the club.

Whether this is meant to be a wry wink to shows needing to give characters clubs to be in to explain them hanging around the school despite them rarely doing much in the way of club activities I can't say.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is pretty funny. Probably it was that sense of reluctance more than anything else that reminded me of D-Frag and Nyan Koi. The dynamics of Nyan Koi's main character's family are also similar to those of Hachiman, come to think of it (though Hachiman's cat doesn't talk).

Last night I finished watching the second season.
As we'd started to see happen near the end of the first season, the drama really came to the fore here. It was still good, though it felt at times that the comedy I liked so well was largely absent, so that a few episodes were almost depressing. The final few episodes of the season, I think, did the best job of mixing humor and drama.
Anyway, I've grown to like the characters, and I hope the show gets a third season.